A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 1. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This parish was in 1831 composed of the townships of Beadlam, Bransdale Westside, Muscoates, Nawton, North Holme, Skiplam, Welburn and Wombleton, North Holme being now in the parish of Great Edston. The total area is 11,823 acres; in Bransdale Westside, Kirkdale, Nawton, Skiplam, Welburn and Wombleton there are 3,225 acres arable land, 2,829 acres of permanent grass and 455 acres of woods and plantations. (fn. 1) The chief crops raised are wheat, oats and barley. Alluvium, Corallian Beds, Oxford Clay, Kimmeridge Clay and Keuper Marls are found. There were 950 acres of land inclosed in Kirkdale and Helmsley in 1806, (fn. 2) and an Inclosure Act for Kirkdale was passed in 1814. (fn. 3)
The church of Kirkdale lies in the township of Welburn, but far from that village, in the deep valley formed by the Hodge Beck, one of the streams that run down from the Cleveland Hills through Bransdale Moor to the Rye. It stands by the stream 200 ft. above the ordnance datum, the wooded surrounding slopes rising rapidly to 500 ft. It has a Saxon sundial. (fn. 4)
Welburn Hall is an Elizabethan structure now incorporated in a large modern house built in the same style in 1891. A messuage, part of the manor of Welburn, is mentioned in 1587. (fn. 5) The ancient hall is practically intact and occupies the eastern side. It is a long rectangular building, standing north and south, with two gabled wings projecting to the east. The main or west front is now largely obscured by modern additions, but the southern half stands free, and the simple round-headed entrance door is included in a modern loggia; it has a carved face key-stone and moulded imposts. The house is two stories high with a moulded cornice between them brought out on diminutive consoles on either side of the ground floor windows. The latter are four in number on this side, all of three lights, the three southern having double transoms. A second moulded cornice is carried along above the first floor windows, which are similar to the three below. The roof-line of this front is broken by three stone gablets, one in the centre and one at either end, each inclosing a three-light mullioned window. The southern end of the main block has a semi-octagonal projecting bay pierced all round at the first floor level by doubletransomed windows and finished with an embattled parapet. These windows have quarter-round mouldings to the mullions, all the other windows in the house being plainly chamfered. On the return wall of this block, facing east, is a stone chimney stack supported by very deep ogee corbelling. The two wings on this side, by the addition of modern outbuildings, now inclose a small courtyard. The southeast angle of the southern wing is supported by a clasping buttress tabled back at the top. The windows here are finished by a straight moulded cornice above them. The northern end of the main block is pierced by a large five-light double-transomed window somewhat restored. In the gardens to the west of the house is a square summer-house of late 17thcentury date approached by a flight of steps. It has rusticated angles and a steep pyramidal roof with a moulded cornice to the eaves.
A limestone cavern which had been previously quarried yielded in 1821 remains of extinct animals. (fn. 6) The small hamlet of Skiplam and Skiplam Wood lie to the west of Kirkdale valley. At Nawton is a station on the Gilling and Pickering branch of the North Eastern railway. Nawton Tower was built by the architects Banks and Barry and completed in 1855. Beadlam lies by the River Riccal, which divides it from Helmsley. Muscoates is on the same stream and separated from North Holme by Walmouth Beck. Wombleton is on the road from Harome to Kirkby Moorside. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels at Nawton and Wombleton, a Wesleyan chapel at Bransdale Westside, (fn. 7) and public elementary schools at Nawton (erected in 1897) and Wombleton (erected in 1844).
Bowforth (Bulforde, xiv cent.), now represented by a farm-house lying about a mile south of Welburn, was formerly a hamlet and gave its name to a local family. (fn. 8) Another lost place, Houetun, mentioned in Domesday Book, (fn. 9) seems from a 12th-century charter to have been in this territory. (fn. 10)
BEADLAM (Bodlun, xi–xii cent.; Bodlum, xii–xvi cent.; Bothlun, xii– xiv cent.; Bodhlum, xiii cent.; Botholom, Buthlum, xiv cent.; Budlome, xiv–xix cent.) was held by Ughtred as a 'manor' of 4 carucates in the time of the Confessor. In 1086 it was in the possession of the Count of Mortain, (fn. 11) and so returned to the Crown. (fn. 12) By 1284–5 the overlordship formed part of the fee of Roos of Helmsley, (fn. 13) and so continued (fn. 14) until in the 16th century the overlordship merged in the under-tenancy.
Peter de Surdeval (fn. 15) held 1 knight's fee of Everard de Roos in 1166. (fn. 16) He and William his brother, Robert his son and Ralph son of William made grants to Rievaulx Abbey in 'Theokemarais' (fn. 17); Robert made a grant in Beadlam in 1201. (fn. 18) Robert was succeeded by a brother Alan (fn. 19) 'de Beadlam,' who in 1206 paid a fine not to be disseised of the 3 carucates of land here except by judgement of court. (fn. 20) Robert son of Alan de Surdeval confirmed a grant to Ralph de Surdeval in 1240 of 1 oxgang of land here. (fn. 21) This is perhaps the Robert who was uncle of William son of William, Peter Raboz, Robert de Newton and Julia de Sutton, said to be his heirs. (fn. 22) John de Surdeval and William son of William were joint tenants in 1284–5. (fn. 23) John son and heir of Walter de Surdeval and born at this place proved his age in 1309, (fn. 24) but the Surdevals soon alienated the manor. The Abbot of Rievaulx was apparently lessee in 1316 (fn. 25); Amand Surdeval of Benningholme leased the manor to Robert son of Hamo de Harome for a term unexpired in 1349, (fn. 26) and it was afterwards conveyed by a trustee (fn. 27) to Sir Richard Pickering, kt., of Oswaldkirk (fn. 28) (q.v.), who died seised in 1441. (fn. 29) The Pickerings held the manor (fn. 30) until in 1580 Anthony Pickering conveyed it to Edward Earl of Rutland. (fn. 31) It has since descended with Helmsley, (fn. 32) and is now in the possession of the Earl of Feversham.
The 'manor' and 1½ carucates that Gamel had previously held in NORTH HOLME (Holme, xi cent.; Northolme, xiii cent.) were in 1086 in the hands of the king, while another 1½ carucates here were in the possession of Berengar de Toni. (fn. 33) The land of the king appears to have formed part of the liberty of St. Mary of York, and with Great Edston passed into the possession of the priory of Hexham, (fn. 34) following the descent of the manor of Salton (q.v.).
Land of the Bigod fee (fn. 35) once held here by the Earls of Albemarle was in 1284–5 in the hands of John de Eston. (fn. 36) Fees were also held at the end of the 13th century by the Mowbrays, whose undertenants were the Wyvills of Slingsby, and the Nevills, overlords of Thornton Riseborough in Normanby (q.v.), of whom James de Holme held a carucate in 1284–5. (fn. 37) He held besides 4 oxgangs of the Wyvills. (fn. 38) This 'manor of North Holme' was inherited by Walter son of James de Holme and followed the descent of that of Great Edston (q.v.) until the sale of that manor in 1564 to Richard Simpson by Thomas Stillington. In 1590 Thomas settled one-half of the capital messuage of North Holme on his second son Robert Stillington and Olive his wife (fn. 39); the other moiety presumably descended to William, eldest son of Thomas, on the death of his father in 1591. (fn. 40)
John Stillington was lord of the manor of North Holme in 1638, when he conveyed it to Thomas Masterman. (fn. 41) This was possibly a lease for ninetynine years, for in 1738 Joseph Stillington and Mary his wife and William Peirce in right of his wife Dorothy sold the manor to Henry Masterman. (fn. 42) Miss Henrietta Masterman was lady of the manor in 1787. (fn. 43) It belonged to W. T. Shepherd in 1859. (fn. 44) The present lord is Mr. J. R. Wheatley.
The second moiety of the capital messuage was in the possession of James Moyser at his death in January 1608–9. (fn. 45) His son and heir Francis Moyser died in February 1617–18, leaving a son Thomas, who immediately obtained livery. (fn. 46) Thomas died in 1643, when his son James was still a minor. (fn. 47)
The vill of MUSCOATES (Musecote, xii–xiii cent.; Muscotes, xiii–xvi cent.), not mentioned in 1086, is referred to in a grant made by Roger Mowbray between 1154 and 1181 (fn. 48) and belonged to the fee of Mowbray. (fn. 49)
The Wakes were enfeoffed under the Mowbrays of a knight's fee appurtenant to their manor of Kirkby Moorside (q.v.) in Barugh, Muscoates and Wombleton. (fn. 50) John de Vescy held this fee under Baldwin Wake in 1281, (fn. 51) and it descended to the Eures. (fn. 52)
John de Stonegrave must have been under-tenant in 1278–81, when he claimed 'from of old' amendment of the assize of bread and ale. (fn. 53)
In 1284–5 he held 5 oxgangs, the other tenants being Nicholas de Stapleton and James de Holme. (fn. 54) In 1301 the reversion of the manor was granted to Walter de Teye, (fn. 55) who had married the heiress of John de Stonegrave (fn. 56); but in 1316 Nicholas de Stapleton, whose grandfather Nicholas in 1284–5 had held part of Muscoates, was returned as sole lord. (fn. 57) The lords of Stapleton (fn. 58) (q.v.) retained Muscoates (fn. 59) until George Metham in 1648 leased his house and lands at Muscoates to William Wawne. The lease was transferred in 1651 to Marmaduke Norcliffe, who complained in the following year that the estate had been sequestered for Lady Metham's recusancy. (fn. 60) Sir Thomas Norcliffe joined in 1657 with Miles Stapleton and George Metham in conveying the manor to Robert Otterbourne, sen., and others and his heirs. (fn. 61) Nicholas Bullock had lands in Muscoates in 1554, (fn. 62) and in the next mention found of the manor (1826) it was in the hands of Edward Darell of Calehill and Mary Ann his wife, (fn. 63) daughter and heiress of Thomas Bullock of Muscoates. (fn. 64) Edward and Mary Ann conveyed it in 1826 to John Gage. (fn. 65) The Earl of Feversham is now the owner.
Land at NAWTON (Naghelton, xi cent.; Nageltone, xi–xii cent.; Nathelton, xii cent.; Nalton, xii–xvi cent.; Navelton, Nawilton, xiii–xiv cent.; Narton, xv cent.) was a berewick of Kirkby Moorside in 1086. (fn. 66) It became part of the Mowbray fee, and was still held of their head manor of Thirsk in 1617. (fn. 67)
In 1086 the Archbishop of York held a 'manor' and 4 carucates here which had formerly belonged to Ulf, and a 'manor' and 2 carucates, formerly of Torbrand, were held by Berengar de Toni, whose lands here must have been acquired by the Mowbrays. (fn. 68)
John Dayvill held 3 carucates in 1284–5. (fn. 71) He granted all his right in these lands to the Abbot of Rievaulx, (fn. 72) who was returned as sole lord of 'Nawton with Beadlam' in 1316. (fn. 73) Rievaulx Abbey held 1 carucate of land here in 1428, (fn. 74) and had a rent of 39s. 4d. from 'Nawtondale' at the Dissolution, (fn. 75) but seems to have been merely mesne lord, the tenancy in demesne belonging to the family of Nawton.
In 1333 William de Broklesby, clerk, conveyed 2 carucates and tenements in Nawton and other places to William son of Richard de Nawton, Margaret his wife and their heirs, with remainder to John de Nawton and his heirs. (fn. 76) Thomas Nawton of Eddlethorpe, by will in 1515, directed that Elizabeth Nawton, his sister, Prioress of Neasham, should take the issues of Nawton and Nawtondale until she received 20 marks to pray for his soul. (fn. 77) He died in 1519 seised of the capital messuage of 'Nawtondale,' and left a son and heir Henry. (fn. 78) Henry died about 1547 seised of the manor of 'Nawtondale,' leaving four young daughters, Agnes, Elizabeth, Eleanor and Katharine, (fn. 79) the first three of whom married respectively Thomas Harwood, George Constable and Francis Conyers. (fn. 80) Sir Roger Lascelles of Sowerby was perhaps a guardian of these daughters, for he was said to die seised of the manor in 1551, (fn. 81) and William Nawton and Francis Nawton, who conveyed it to George Montforth in 1555, (fn. 82) may have held the same position. Thomas Sayvell and Cecilia his wife in 1560 conveyed the manor of Nawtondale to Robert Thornton (of East Newton), and William his son and heir, (fn. 83) to whom George Constable and Elizabeth his wife and Francis Conyers and Eleanor his wife also made a conveyance in 1570. (fn. 84) In 1617 William Thornton of East Newton (fn. 85) (q.v.) died seised of Nawton Manor, (fn. 86) but in 1666 Clement Read, sen., and Barbara his wife were in possession. (fn. 87) A Clement Read and Elizabeth his wife held it in 1698 (fn. 88) and in 1708 conveyed it to William Whitehead. (fn. 89) In 1744 Thomas Whitehead as lord appointed a gamekeeper. (fn. 90) William Whitehead was lord in 1779, (fn. 91) Thomas Whitehead in 1816, (fn. 92) Francis Barr in 1857– 72, W. F. Shepherd in 1879. The manor is now in the possession of Mr. William Frank of Helmsley.
The Surdevals of Beadlam held the 3 carucates here under the Dayvills in the 12th century. (fn. 93)
In 1086 SKIPLAM (Skipenum, xii cent.; Scypnoma, Scipnum, xiii cent.) is not mentioned, but in the 12th century Gundreda wife of Niel Daubeney, (fn. 94) with the consent of her son Roger de Mowbray, granted to Rievaulx Abbey all the cultivated land of her demesne in this place. (fn. 95) Henry III granted the monks free warren here and in Welburn, (fn. 96) and in 1311 Skiplam was in their possession. (fn. 97) In 1541 the abbey lands here were granted to the Earl of Rutland, (fn. 98) and from this time followed the descent of the manor of Helmsley (fn. 99) (q.v.). The Earl of Feversham is the present owner.
Before the Conquest 2 carucates in WELBURN (Wellebrune, xi cent.) were held respectively by Grim and Torbrand as two 'manors.' In 1086 the king held the land of Grim, Berengar de Toni the land of Torbrand, and there was also here a berewick of Kirkby Moorside. (fn. 100) The whole vill subsequently formed part of the Mowbray fee. (fn. 101) Roger de Mowbray granted it to the monks of Rievaulx, the grant being confirmed by Richard I. (fn. 102) Rievaulx Abbey still had 3 carucates of land in 1428, (fn. 103) and at the Dissolution a rent of £39 18s. 0½d. from Welburn and the granges of Sonley (Sinlow, Sowley), &c., in Welburn territory. (fn. 104) In 1545 Howkeld (Hykelde or Holbek) Mill near Welburn was granted to William Ramsden of Longley and Edward Hoppey of Halifax, (fn. 105) and in the same year William Ramsden had licence to grant various lands in Welburn and Sowley, possessions of Rievaulx, to Thomas Savile and Cecily his wife. (fn. 106) Thomas Savile held the manor in 1558 (fn. 107) and died seised in 1583, leaving a son and heir Thomas, (fn. 108) who died in 1587, leaving a son and heir Francis. (fn. 109) Francis died childless in 1594, and was succeeded by his brother Conyers, (fn. 110) who in 1597 and 1605–6 conveyed the manor to John Gibson, kt. (fn. 111) Sir John Gibson died seised in 1612–13 and was succeeded by his son Sir John, (fn. 112) who died seised in 1639, leaving a son and heir Sir John. (fn. 113)
The last-named died in 1665 and was succeeded by his son John, who had at that time an eldest son John. (fn. 114) In 1685–6 John Gibson, senior, made a settlement of the manor, (fn. 115) and in the following year John Gibson, junior, conveyed it to James Gibson for ninety years. (fn. 116) Sarah Gibson, spinster, and James Gibson made a settlement in 1712, (fn. 117) and it was in the possession of James Gibson of Turnham Green, Middlesex, in 1746–7. (fn. 118) By 1750 it had come into the possession of Thomas Robinson, great-grandson of the John Gibson who died in 1711, (fn. 119) and in 1779 it belonged to George Strangways Robinson, his grandson. (fn. 120) This family represented the old Yorkshire house of Strangways, (fn. 121) having changed its name to Robinson on acquiring the estate of the Robinsons of Thornton Riseborough. (fn. 122)
The nieces and co-heirs of the Rev. J. Robinson married respectively the Rev. Francis Wrangham, Archdeacon of Cleveland, Thomas Smith, M.D., and the Rev. Arthur Cayley, rector of Normanby, who were in possession in 1824. (fn. 123) Mrs. Wrangham held the manor in 1857, the Earl of Feversham in 1872.
The capital messuage or grange of Sonley Cote in Welburn, which had belonged to Rievaulx Abbey, (fn. 124) was granted by Queen Elizabeth to John Hercy and John Howard, and by them to Sir Valentine Brown and Thomasine his wife, and by them to their son Thomas, who conveyed it to William Robinson, alderman of York. In 1622–3 it was in the possession of William son of William Robinson, and also an alderman of York. (fn. 125)
Ulf held a 'manor' and 1 carucate at WOMBLETON (Wilbetun, Winbeltun, xi cent.; Wimbleton, xii–xviii cent.; Wombleton, xvii cent.) before the Conquest. This carucate was among the lands of the Archbishop of York in 1086 (fn. 126) and 1284–5, (fn. 127) and belonged to the liberty of St. Peter in 1831. (fn. 128) By 1284–5, however, Wombleton was composed of 5 carucates of land, of 4 of which Roger de Mowbray was overlord, (fn. 129) this overlordship already existing in the 12th century. (fn. 130) Under the Mowbrays the Wakes and under the Wakes the Vescys were enfeoffed here. (fn. 131) In 1284–5 Nicholas de Stapleton was one of the under-tenants, and in 1316 his grandson Nicholas was joint lord. (fn. 132) In 1339–40 the manor was settled on Miles Stapleton, (fn. 133) and subsequently descended like Muscoates (q.v.) to the Methams. (fn. 134) In 1611 Sir Thomas Metham conveyed it to Roger Earl of Rutland (fn. 135); it has since descended with the manor of Helmsley (fn. 136) (q.v.), and is now in the possession of the Earl of Feversham.
Henry III granted the amendment of the assize of bread and ale here to Newburgh Priory, (fn. 137) and the prior was joint lord in 1316. (fn. 138) The priory held 1 carucate in 1428 (fn. 139) and 70s. rent at the Dissolution. (fn. 140)
The church of ST. GREGORY consists of a chancel about 30 ft. by 17 ft. 10 in., vestry on the north side of the chancel 11 ft. 8 in. by 9 ft. 11 in., nave 34 ft. 7 in. by 18 ft., north aisle 33 ft. 9 in. by 9 ft. 6 in. and west tower 4 ft. by 6 ft. These measurements are all internal.
The date of the original church can be fixed to within a few years of 1060 by the Saxon inscription on the sundial over the south door, which records that Orm, the son of Gamal, bought the minster of St. Gregory, and had it rebuilt in the days of Edward the King and of Tosti the Earl. Of this church the nave yet remains, but of its wrought details only the west doorway and the jambs of the chancel arch have survived. The south doorway, over which is the Saxon inscription, is a 12th-century insertion. The quoins of the western angles of the nave have been left undisturbed and are a good example of the later long-and-short work. The north aisle was added and the present arcade of three bays inserted in the north wall of the nave c. 1200. Later in the 13th century the chancel was rebuilt and lengthened, and probably at the same time the north aisle was also lengthened to form a north chapel. The chancel arch was in all probability widened at this rebuilding, the stones of the original responds being re-used. In the 15th century the north aisle was raised to its present height, but the north chapel retains the height of the early 13th-century aisle. The present four-centred chancel arch also dates from this period. New windows were at the same time inserted in the nave and aisle walls, three of which still survive —namely, the east window of the north chapel and the two windows in the south wall of the nave— the remaining windows of this style being entirely modern, though probably more or less faithful versions of their predecessors. During the first quarter of the 19th century the west tower was built and the bells rehung within it. A drawing of the church made about 1820 shows that at that time the bells were hung in a wooden belfry surmounting the west end of the nave roof. In 1881 the chancel was rebuilt and the present high-pitched roof substituted for a former low-pitched roof, one of the beams of which was dated 1633. The portion with the date upon it has been preserved. In 1907 the whole church was restored under the direction of Mr. Temple Moore; the west gallery and high pews put in at some period in the 18th or early 19th century were removed, and the present oak benches substituted. The fine pre-Conquest west doorway, which had been walled up, was again cleared, and a stone wall was built in line with the chancel arch, in place of a former lathand-plaster partition, separating the north chapel, which serves for a vestry, from the north aisle. At the same time the arch opening from the chapel into the chancel, which had been built up at some period, was cleared, and new roofs were placed over the nave, aisles and porch.
In the east wall of the chancel are three grouped lancet windows with wide splays and ribbed rear arches, which appear to be of 13th-century date, though perhaps reset. The circular window over is modern. Immediately east of the chancel arch, in the north wall, is a 13th-century arch of two chamfered orders opening into the north chapel, now used as a vestry. The east respond is square, the abacus being composed of a large quarter-round; the north and south angles of the abacus have been chamfered off, probably at some subsequent period. The western respond is splayed on the chapel side. The 15th-century chancel arch is four-centred and composed of two chamfered orders, the outer order being stilted and the inner order dying into it. The responds are pre-Conquest, and shafted on the west; the capitals have hollow bells, with no necking, and added 15th-century abaci. In the south wall of the chancel is a rough piscina with a projecting fluted basin, and to the westward of it a triangular niche. Over this is a two-light uncusped square-headed light of modern date. Next to the westward is a priest's doorway, with two-centred external head and segmental rear arch and an external label with mask stops. The stones of this appear to be of original date with the 13th-century rebuilding of the chancel. The westernmost window of the chancel is a small widely-splayed lancet, also probably of original date.
The 13th-century north arcade of the nave is of three bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders and circular columns, with circular moulded bases on octagonal plinths and bell capitals with moulded octagonal abaci. The capital of the east respond is carved with a form of broad water-leaf, while those of the west respond and eastern column are plain. The western column has a capital of unusual design, with volutes at each angle of the abacus. The south wall of the nave is lighted by two 15th-century windows. The eastern is of three trefoiled lights under a square head; the western window is of two square-headed lights and is placed high up in the wall. The south door is round-arched, the jambs chamfered on the exterior, and having chamfered impost. The pre-Conquest west doorway has a round head of three square orders recessed from the west face, the eastern face presenting only a plain arch springing from a square impost. The intermediate order on the west is carried rather awkwardly upon circular shafts with crude cushion capitals and moulded bases. On the south wall of the nave is a stone bench.
The 15th-century east window of the north chapel, or eastern extremity of the north aisle, is of two ogee-headed trefoiled lights with tracery under a square head. In the modern wall dividing the chapel from the aisle is a doorway with a twocentred head. The north wall of the aisle is lighted by two modern windows of two lights under square heads, and in the west wall is a modern window similar to that in the east wall. Against the north wall are two stone benches. Externally a set-off with a weathering of dressed stone marks the original height of the wall. The west tower has a small loophole window in the west wall of the ground stage and plain square lights to the bell-chamber, which is crowned by a pyramidal slate roof. The south porch is a rough structure, probably of late date, consisting merely of east and west walls, with stone benches and a modern timber roof. The roofs of the chancel, north chapel and heating chamber are covered with stone shingles, the nave and north aisle with green slates.
The octagonal font has a plain bowl and a moulded octagonal stem and appears to be of 13th-century date. In the two easternmost bays of the nave arcade are two pre-Conquest slabs with interlacing ornament, the so-called tombs of King Ethelwald and Bishop Cedd. Both of these slabs previously to the last restoration were embedded in the west wall. (fn. 141) On the western of the two stone benches against the north wall of the north aisle are some fragments of coffin-lids. On the east wall is a fragment of a figure within a crocketed ogee canopy, probably representing the Virgin and Child, dating, to judge from the style of the drapery, from the early part of the 15th century. A quern stone, found during the last restoration within a few feet of the surface of the churchyard, is now placed within the church. Over the south doorway is the Saxon sundial referred to above; it is composed of an oblong stone divided into three compartments, the centre one of which is occupied by the dial, which has an incised semicircle with radii dividing it into eight hours. The inscriptions are cut in incised Saxon characters, and are in a fine state of preservation. On the dial panel is inscribed: 'This is dæges solmerca | æt ilcum tide | & Hawarth me wrohte & Brand prs'; on the side panels: 'Orm Gamal | suna bohte Scs Gregorius min | ster thonne hi | t wes æl tobro | can & tofalan & he | hit let macan newan from | grunde Xr[ist]e & Scs Gregori | us in Eadward dagum c[yni]ng & [i]n Tosti dagum eorl.'
On the west wall of the nave is a mural monument to Joan (Pennyman) Gibson, 1675, the wife of John Gibson, above which is a shield with his arms impaling a cheveron ermine between three broken spears.
The plate includes two cups, one with the London date mark for 1706, the maker's mark B.O., and the arms of the Gibson family, the other is inscribed as given by the Rev. John Robinson in 1801, but bears the date mark of 1804. Of the two patens here one bears the London date mark for 1715 and the maker's mark B.O. It is inscribed, 'The gift of Mrs. Penelope Gibson to the parish of Kirkdale 1715'; the other bears the same marks and arms as the cup of 1706 and is inscribed, 'The gift of Joanna Gibson to the church of Kirkdale 1707.'
Skaife has identified the 'Chirchebi' of Domesday Book, where there was a church and priest, with Kirkdale, although 'Chirchebi' is almost certainly Kirkby Moorside (q.v.). The suggestion of Brooke, (fn. 142) however, that the church entered under 'Chirchebi' was Kirkdale Church is worthy of consideration. Kirkdale is not a village, but a valley, which has given its name to the church north of Welburn, and this church, when first indisputably mentioned (1145), (fn. 143) is called the church of Welburn. As Welburn was a berewick of Kirkby Moorside at the time of the Domesday Survey, (fn. 144) the church in its territory might be rated with Kirkby Moorside. Roger de Mowbray granted in his foundation charter to Newburgh Priory (1145) (fn. 145) the church of Welburn and the vale where the church was situated with the chapel of Wombleton. (fn. 146) The priory kept the church until its dissolution, and afterwards, in 1576, the rectory was granted to Francis Metham for twenty-one years, (fn. 147) and in 1587 to him and others for life. (fn. 148) In 1608 the rectory and the advowson of the vicarage were granted by James I to Francis Philips and Richard More and their heirs. (fn. 149) It must have come soon afterwards into the possession of Henry Baron Danvers, who was created Earl of Danby in 1625–6, (fn. 150) for he left it by will before 1644 to the University of Oxford for the maintenance of the new Physic Gardens which he established there. (fn. 151) In 1786 Kirkdale was said to be a curacy in the possession of the University of Oxford, the present patron. (fn. 152) The living is a vicarage. There was a church at Beadlam in 1309, (fn. 153) but no later mention of it has been found. The modern church of St. Hilda at Beadlam, erected in 1882, is a chapel of ease to Kirkdale.
The poor receive £2 a year, paid as to 20s. by Lord Feversham out of Mitton Holm, in respect of John Ellerton's charity; as to 10s. by Mr. B. King out of land at Wombleton, in respect of George Pearson's charity; and as to 10s. by Lord Feversham out of land at Weathercoat, in respect of Ralph Richardson's charity.
A sum of £55 15s. consols is held by the official trustees belonging to the charities of John and Robert Shepherd, John Boyes and Ann Dixon, also a sum of £100 consols bequeathed in 1815 by will of John Dodsworth for poor housekeepers. The dividends of the stock, amounting to £3 17s. 8d., are distributed in flour, coals and money.