BHO

Charters: Nos. 701-800 (1477-1583)

Pages 690-709

Calendar of the Manuscripts of the Dean and Chapter of Wells: Volume 2. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1914.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

Nos. 601–700 (1438–75)

701. 1477.—Release by Richard Burnell of Wells, to John Combe, John Hille, Thomas Elis, John Baudewyn. John Alwyn, and Richard Pomery, their heirs and assigns, of all his right to a messuage and land, with appurtenances, situate in Wells. Dated, Wells, 2 Nov., 17 Edw. IV.

Round seal; I B crowned.

702. 1477.—Grant by Richard Burnell of Wells, to John Combe, John Hille, Thomas Elis, John Baudewyn, John Alwyn and Richard Pomery of Wells, their heirs and assigns, of a messuage in Biestwalles, Wells, and land at La Ashyn Crosse, all of which he and John Pedwell, late deceased, had of the feoffment of Nicholas Matravers, son and heir of Laurence Matravers of Wilton, co. Wilts. Witnesses: Richard Vowell, master of the town of Wells, John Atwater, Walter Baker, [and others]. Dated, Wells, 22 Nov., 17 Edw. IV.
Seal, as no. 701.

703. 1478–79.—Deed poll by Richard Huchons and John Touker, principals of the New Close of the vicars of Wells, with all the vicars of the same, ordaining that, in consideration of divers benefits at the hands of Sir Thomas Chew, vicar of the said close, a lamp shall be kept burning from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., every year from Michaelmas to SS. Philip and "Jacob," apostles, in the chapel of the said close, in honour of the assumption of the Virgin; also a candle "at every two messe," "as oft as we . . . have eny sopers of dewte witynne our comen halle." Witnesses: Thomas Overey, Hugh Sugar, John Wansford, and Richard Swanne, canons of Wells. Dated, 9 Jan., 18 Edw. IV.

Common seal of the vicars; round; a shield charged with a pastoral staff surmounted by a saltire and between the keys on the right, and the sword on the left; imperfect; . . . CATH' WELL'. See no. 694.

704. 1478–79.—Power of attorney by Thomas Chew, clerk, to John Combe and John Hayn, of West Pennard, to deliver to Hugh Sugar, Richard Hayn, John Toukar, Henry Grendale, and Thomas Seywarde, clerks, and their assigns, seisin of lands in West Pennard, which he lately had of the feoffment of John Trugge of Corscomb and Richard Wyntryngham alias Clerk of Were. Witnesses: John Atwater, master of the town of Wells, Walter Bakar, [and others]. Dated, West Pennard, 9 Jan., 18 Edw. IV.

Round seal; an eagle displayed.

705. 1479.—Power of attorney by John Attwater, burgess and merchant of the town of Wells, and Emma his wife, to John Combe and John Manyman, perpetual vicars of the New Close, to give peaceful possession of 8 messuages and land in Biestewalles, and lands in Dulcote, Westehoryngdon, Polshammede, and Woky, formerly of Peter Orum, to Thomas Overay, precentor, Hugh Sugar, treasurer of the cathedral, Richard Swan, provost of the same church, and Thomas Mersshe, steward of the same church, canons and residentiaries, their heirs and assigns. Dated, 16 April, 19 Edw. IV.

706. 1479.—Power of attorney by Thomas Overay, precentor of Wells, Hugh Sugar, treasurer, Richard Swan, provost, and Thomas Mersshe, steward, to Walter Osborne, John Austill, canons and residentiaries, and Richard Hochans and John Towker, perpetual vicars, to receive seisin of messuages, etc., mentioned in no. 705. Dated, 16 April, 19 Edw. IV.

Four small round seals.

  • (1) A stag lodged, to the sinister,
  • (2) H.S. in monogram; DEO . . .
  • (3) A swan with wings addorsed; SI DEO PLACEAT,
  • (4) T.M. in monogram.

707. 1479–80.—Grant by John Middilton, clerk, and Richard Huchyn, clerk, to Isabel Gyfforde of Wells, widow, for life, of a yearly rent of 13s. 4d. issuing out of all their lands, etc., in Prestley in the parish of Dultynge, Somerset, which they had of the feoffment of John Tregodek, late a vicar-choral; with power of distress. Witnesses: Master Thomas Overay, precentor of Wells, Master John Austill, canon and residentiary, John FitzJames, Richard Vowell and Humfrey Hervy, gentlemen. Dated, 20 Jan., 19 Edw. IV.

708. 1483.—Power of attorney by William Lynge of Wells, weaver, and Juliana his wife, daughter and heir of Richard Swayne, late of Wells, to John Standerwyke and John Cowpar, to deliver seisin of 3 acres of land in Este Wallesfelde to Andrew Grantham, vicar-choral of the cathedral church. Dated, Wells, Conception of the Virgin, 1 Ric. III.

Two round seals.

  • (1) A shield-shaped outline containing a crescent; doubtful if heraldic.
  • (2) A pierced mullet within an ornamental chevroned border.

709. 1484.—Will of Thomas Hampton, burgess of Wells; to be buried in St. Cuthbert's churchyard, near the grave of Thomas Hampton, his father; lands, etc., in Wells to wife Joan, for life; lands, etc., at Kyngeston-upon-Themyse to cousin Master Thomas Cornyssh, clerk, his heirs and assigns, after the death of Margaret his wife, testator's sister; other lands to son Christopher for life, remainder to the Hospital of St. John Baptist in Wells, for certain obits and anniversaries; etc. Wife Joan sole executrix. Dated, Feast of St. Clement, pope, 1484. English.

Proved before William Russell, commissary-general of the bishop of Bath and Wells, in Holy Cross chapel at the end of the nave of the cathedral, 12 Feb., 1484–5.

710. 1485.—Bond by William Bythemore of Naylesey, Somerset, esq., to John Attewater, Richard Vowell and William Childe, clerk, in 40l., for due payment of 15l. Dated, 20 July, 3 Ric. III.

711. 1485.—Lease by Sir Richard Hochyn and Sir John Leffeman, vicars and principals of the New Close, with the assent of all the vicars-choral, to Sir Ralph Gardener, perpetual vicar and fellow of the New Close, for 99 years, of a toft now ruinous and garden, on which he is to build a house, in Estwallis, Wells; rent 5s. Witnesses: Master Hugh Sugar, LL.D., treasurer, Master Richard Swan, provost, and Master John Austill, steward of the cathedral church, [and others]. Dated, St. Andrew, 1 Hen. VII.

712. 1485–86.—General pardon to Master John Gunthorpe, clerk, otherwise dean of the cathedral church of Wells, otherwise dean of the cathedral church of St. Andrew, Wells, otherwise late dean of the chapel of the Household of the late King Edward IV, otherwise late almoner of King Edward IV, otherwise clerk of the Parliament of King Edward IV, otherwise Keeper of the Privy Seal of King Edward V, otherwise Keeper of the Privy Seal of King Richard III, nuper de facto et non de jure Regis Angliœ, otherwise canon of the Free Chapel Royal of St. Stephen, within Westminster Palace, otherwise one of the clerks of our chancery, for all trespasses, forfeitures, etc., relating to any of the above offices, before 7 Nov. last. Dated, Westminster, 12 Feb., 1 Hen. VII.

713. 1486.—Grant by John Riche, clerk, canon and residentiary of the cathedral of Wells, to Master Richard Swan, provost of the cathedral of Wells, and William Child, clerk, their heirs and assigns, of a close in Wells, between the lane leading to Sareorcharde and Estewalles Felde, and a garden or orchard near the new college of annuellars in La Mountre; with power of attorney to Thomas Mersh, clerk, canon and residentiary of the cathedral, and Roger Wythe, to give seisin. Witnesses: Master Thomas Overay, precentor, Richard Vowell, gent., John Standerwyke, [and others]. Dated, Wells, 19 May, 1 Hen. VII. Mutilated.

714. 1487.—Grant by William Childe, clerk, to William Bokat and John Hille, clerks, canons and residentiaries of Wells, John Stevens and John Touker, vicars, their heirs and assigns, of a close called Lobbes Crofte on the east of Mountrey Lane, Wells, which John Ryche, canon and residentiary, granted to Richard Swan, provost of the cathedral (since deceased), and the said William Childe, their heirs and assigns, by his charter dated 19 May, 1 Hen. VII; with power of attorney to [Thomas] Newdyke, and William Danwell alias Skynner to deliver seisin. Witnesses: Master Thomas Overay, precentor, Richard Vowell, master of the city, [and others]. Dated, Wells, St. Agatha, Virgin and Martyr, 2 Hen. VII.
Mutilated.

Oval seal; a shield of arms, a chevron between 3 cinquefoils. Legend indistinct.

715. 1487.—Power of attorney by William Chylde, clerk, to Thomas Newedike and William Danwell alias Skynner to deliver seisin of a close called Lobbes Crofte on the east of Mountrey Lane, between a house called La Scolehows on the south and a cottage and garden of the new college of annuellars on the north, to William Bokat and John Hille, clerks, canons and residentiaries of Wells Cathedral, John Stevens and John Toukar, vicars-choral, their heirs and assigns. Dated, Wells, St. Agatha, 2 Hen. VII.

716. 1489.—Grant by Richard Huchons, perpetual vicar, to John Baldewyne, Richard Pomerey, Thomas Seward, and Thomas Farre, perpetual vicars, their heirs and assigns, of all messuages, lands, etc., in Prestelegh in the parish of Dultynge, which the said Richard formerly held jointly with John Morton, Hugh Sugar and John Middilton, clerks, deceased, by grant from Sir John Trigodek, formerly vicar; with power of attorney to John Clavelleshey and Robert Bayly, vicars, to deliver seisin. Witnesses: Richard Vowell, Richard Burnell, John Standerwyk, John Beele, [and others]. Dated, Wells, St. Margaret, Virgin, 4 Hen. VII.

[Has not been sealed.]

717. 1489.—Mandate of Robert [Stillington], bishop of Bath and Wells, to the archdeacons and other officials of the diocese, to require the beneficed clergy to call upon their parishioners to become members of the confraternity of St. Andrew in the cathedral church, and to aid the fabric by donations and bequests, and promising an indulgence of 40 days to benefactors. Dated, Dagmershfeld manor, 20 Nov., 1489, 20th year of the bishop.

Fragment of a pointed oval seal; in a niche, canopied, a full length figure of St. Andrew; on the sides in niches, St. Peter with keys and St. Paul with sword; in base under an arch, a figure of the bishop, with staff and mitre.

718. 1493.—Lease by John Baldewyne, Richard Pomerey, Thomas Sewarde, and Thomas Farre, vicars-choral, to to Thomas Orcharde, clerk, perpetual vicar of Evercryche, for life, of lands in Prestelegh in the parish of Dultyng; the grantee to have shridaciones et decaplationes cum subbosco omnium et singulorum arborum crescencium infra precinctum . . . absque vasto seu destructione inde ut premittitur faciendo; rent, 16s. Witnesses: John Adam, John Standerwyke, Richard Parker, Thomas Sewarde, and John Orcharde. Dated, Invention of Holy Cross, 8 Hen. VII.

Round seal; an eagle rising reguardant.

719. 1493.—Copy of the will of Andrew Grauntham, vicar-choral and in priestly orders, of great age; to be buried within the chapel of All Saints, within the inclosure [infra ambitum] of the churchyard commonly called Pardonchyrcheyard; various legacies and anniversary services; to the parish church of Westcammell 40s. et unum missale de le preynte; to Richard Pommery, vicar-choral, 6 silver spoons and 20s., and he sole executor. Dated, 26 Dec., 1493.

720. 1494.—Lease by the dean and chapter of Wells, of the reversion of lands held of them, by Thomas Northover and Ellen his wife, for life, at La Wythe in the parish of Northcory, to John Maunce and Emeline his wife, and the keepers of the Fraternity of Holy Trinity of North Cory, for 41 years; rent 15s. Dated, 6 Aug., 1494, 9 Hen. VII.

721. 1494.—Will of William Mullewarde, son of William Mullewarde of Dynre; to be buried in the churchyard of St. Cuthbert's. Dated, Tuesday, eve of St. Katherine, 1494.

Probate, before the official of the dean of Wells, 17 Dec., same year.

Oval seal; St. Andrew; legend indecipherable.

722. 1495.—Lease for remainder of the original term by Thomas [Cornish], bishop of Tine, prior and master of the house or Hospital of St. John Baptist of Wells, and the convent of brethren there, of a tenement in Byestewalles, and lands in Wells,—originally leased for 60 years by Thomas Vobe, prior of the Hospital of St. John Baptist of Bath, and the brethren of the same, to William Stodham, 20 April, 2 Edw. IV [1462], by him assigned to Henry Goddyslonde, All Saints' day, 1st year of the recovery of the kingdom of Hen. VI [1470], and by the latter bequeathed to the Hospital of St. John Baptist of Wells for the remainder of the term—to Thomas Wade, clerk, and Margery Tyvell, widow, they paying the rent of 4s. 8d. to the hospital at Bath. Witnesses: John Tyler, master of the commonalty of Wells, Richard Vowell, gent., Richard Burnell, [and others]. Dated, 12 April, 10 Hen. VII.

723. 1495.—Grant by John Menyman, canon resident of Wells, and Richard Huchons, vicars-choral, to Master William Bokat, Master John Vowell, and Sir John Stevens, canons resident, John Towker, John Aleyne, and Richard Pomerey, vicars-choral, their heirs and assigns, of 3 tenements near the market-field super cornarium, to the north of the High Cross in Wells, which they, together with Thomas Mershe and John Combe, clerks, now deceased, had of the gift of Master John Gunthorp, dean of Wells. Witnesses: John Rodenay, esq., Richard Vowell, gent., Richard Burnell, John Standerwyke, and Richard Parker. Dated, 1 July, 10 Hen. VII.

Two round seals.

  • (1) A mermaid holding a comb and a mirror, in the field an uncertain motto. [?] IO[HA]NNES.
  • (2) A rose.

724, 725. 1495–96.—Assignment by Sir Andrew Grantham, vicar-choral of Wells, to John Aleyne and Richard Pomerey, clerks, vicars-choral of Wells, of two leases of land in Wells; one from Thomas Cornysh, bishop of Tine, master of the Hospital of St. John Baptist of Wells, and the brethren there; and the other from William Lynge of Wells, weaver, and Juliana his wife. Witnesses: Master John Gunthorp, dean, Thomas Harryes, treasurer, William Boket, subdean, John Towker, communar, [and others]. Dated, 21 March, 11 Hen. VII.

Round seal; on a shield, a stag's head cabossed, with a cross between the antlers; S' RICARDI CANVNE.

Attached is a copy of the will of Andrew Grantham, bequeathing pittances to the cathedral vicars in consideration of certain specified anniversary commemorations. With a note of his death, St. Mark's day, 11 Hen. VII [1496]. English. Mutilated.

726. 1496.—Grant by John Menyman, clerk, canon of Wells, to William Boket, John Vowell, and Thomas Gylberte, clerks, their heirs and assigns, of 3 tenements situate in the corner of Sadelerstrete, Wells, near the market, which the said John, together with Thomas Mersh, John Combe, and Richard Hayne, clerks, now deceased, had of the gift of John Gunthorp, clerk, dean of Wells; with power of attorney to Robert Pemberton, clerk, and John Goderyge, gent., to deliver seisin. Witnesses: William Hody, knt., chief baron of the Exchequer, John Byconell, knt., John Fitzjames, esq., Richard Vowell, gent., [and others]. Dated, Wells, 24 April, 11 Hen. VII.

727. 1496.—Release by Thomasina relict of William Bythemore, to John Gunthorpp, [dean] of the cathedral, Wells, and Thomas Ustewayte, gent., of all her right and dower in the manor of Alwarton, Somerset, and a general release from all actions. Dated, 3 May, 11 Hen. VII.

Oval signet; a fleur-de-lis.

728. 1498.—Lease by John Toker and Richard Pomerey, clerks, vicars-choral, and principals of the New Close, to Richard Frempton, butcher, and Juliana his wife, and Richard their son, for their lives, of 2 cottages and one shamellum carnificum in the High Street, Wells, in front of the inn called the Crystofer; rent 12s. Witnesses: William Capron, chaplain, Otho More, John Ustewayte, [and others]. Dated, St. Matthew, 14 Hen. VII.

Two round seals.

  • (1) A bird rising reguardant.
  • (2) Indistinct.

729. 1499.—Bond by John Reve of Rodeney Stoke, Thomas Sterre of Chedder, John Sterre of Chedder and John Janyns of Stoke, husbandmen, to Master William Cosyne, dean of Wells, and the chapter, in 40l., to observe the covenants in certain indentures dated St. Thomas Apostle, 1499, as to the farm of the rectory of Chedder. Dated, 27 Dec., 15 Hen. VII.

730. 1500.—Lease by Sir John Janyn, vicar-choral and escheator of Wells cathedral, with the assent of the dean and chapter of Wells, to John Mayo of Wells, mercer, and Alice his wife, for 80 years, of a tenement and garden, and a plot of bare ground which William Brownynge now occupies, situate on the east side of La Newe Street; rent 6s. 8d. Witnesses: Nicholas Trappe, master of the city of Wells, John Standerwyke, Richard Parker, [and others]. Dated, the Annunciation, 1500, 15 Hen. VII.

731. 1500.—Assignment by Thomas Squery and Juliana his wife, William Trewebody junior and Alice his wife, and John Spereman and Joan his wife, daughters of William Boteler late of Westebery, deceased, to Thomas Cornyssh, bishop of Tine, of their estate and interest in a rent of 6s. 8d. arising out of lands called Benames Place, &c., in the manor of Alwarton, Somerset, which Thomas Overay, clerk, John Chok, esq., Walter Parys and John Bowle, feoffees of William Bythemore, esq., leased to the said William Boteler for a term of 80 years, by their charter dated All Saints' day, 1 Henry VII, [1485], which term he granted to his said daughters. Witnesses: John Rodeney, knt., John Powlet, esq., William Vowell, gent., [and others]. Dated, St. Thomas, Apostle, 16 Hen. VII.

Three seals.

  • (1) Broken; a bird with a leaf in its beak.
  • (2) w crowned [?].
  • (3) A crown.

732. 1501–2.—Lease by Richard Pomerey and Simon Everton, principals of the New Close of vicars, with the assent of all the vicars-choral, to Richard Barnell and Isabel his wife, for their lives, of a close called Budlesham, in the field of Doultecote; rent 2s. and suit of court; power of attorney to John Smyth, tanner, and John Usewayte to deliver seisin. Dated, 14 Feb., 17 Hen. VII.

Two seals.

  • (1) Broken; an eagle displayed; DA GRA'S DEO.
  • (2) I R in monogram.

733. 1502.—Lease by Sir John Baldewyne, vicar-choral of Wells Cathedral, to Edith Hewes, widow, for life, of a tenement and garden in Torlane in Wells; rent 3s. Witnesses: Richard Aysshcote, clerk, John Standerwyke, Richard Parker, [and others]. Dated, 1 Sept., 18 Hen. VII.

Oval signet; a half length figure of the Virgin and Child.

734. 1504.—Lease by John Powlet, esq., to John Orcharde, clerk, for 48 years, of 2 acres of land in the east field of Estewalles, near the Horsepole, Wells; rent 2s. Witnesses: Thomas Weston, clerk, John Standerwyke, Richard Attewater, [and others]. Dated, St. Gregory the Pope, 1504, 20 Hen. VII.

Rectangular seal; a lombardic M, or perhaps a buckle.

735. 1505.—Lease by William Vowell of Wells, gent., to John Orchard, clerk and vicar, for 48 years, of pasture land in the north field of Biestwalles, near the land of the Priory of St. John Baptist, Wells; rent 4s. Witnesses: Robert Grantham, master of the town of Wells, Sir John Fox, Sir Thomas Weston, [and others]. Dated, Wells, 8 Oct., 21 Hen. VII.

Round seal; on a shield, a cinquefoil, pierced.

736. 1511.—Lease by Hugh Veysie and John Genynges, principals of the New Close of the vicars, with consent of all the vicars-choral, to Thomas Cornyshe, bishop of Tine, and John Welshot of Wells, mercer, for 40 years, of 18 ½ ac. of land in the field of Biddisham, formerly held by William Teke; rent 12s. 4d. and suit at the court of the dean and chapter at Biddisham twice a year; the lessees to repair a ditch round the land, and to plant salices vulgariter nuncupatas withes. Witnesses: Walter Sarger, master of the city of Welles, John Ustwayte, John Mawdeley, [and others]. Dated, Wells, St. Andrew's day, 3 Hen. VIII.

Seals.

  • (1) Shield shaped; a chevron between three birds' heads erased.
  • (2) Square; I G in monogram.

737. 1512.—Defeasance of a bond for 20l. for the due performance of a sale of lands in Bicnaller by John Pounsford of Crokeham to William Cosyn, Raynold West and John Edmonds, clerks. Dated, 27 April, 4 Hen. VIII. English.

738. 1513.—Exemplification of the record of a plea enrolled before the justices of the Bench, Easter term, 4th year, roll 436; being an assize of novel disseisin taken at Yevyll, if Richard Jenkyns had unjustly disseised the dean and chapter of Wells of their free tenement in Bykenalre. Dated, Westminster, 9 May, 5 Hen. VIII, 1513.

SIGILLVM PRO BREVIBVS CORAM JVSTICIARIIS.

HENRICVS DEI GRACIA REX . . . FRANCIE.

739. 1513.—Grant by John Pounsefforde of Crowcomb, Somerset, to Giles Hille, esq., William Capron, clerk, and Henry Cornysche, their heirs and assigns, for 12l., of a tenement and premises in Bykenaller called Bykewyll, with common of pasture on the hill of Cantoke, which Henry Wawyle, lord of Bykenaller, formerly granted to William the Chaplain; power of attorney to Richard Byckeham, gent., and John Uppyngton, to deliver seisin. Witnesses: John Sydenham, esq., Baldwin Malet, gent., John Slocum, John Saffyn, and John Whytte. Dated, 20 May, 5 Hen. VIII.

740. 1503.—Inspeximus by Thomas Cornysh, bishop of Tine, of deeds relating to lands near Mondyesmede, and in Mounterlane, etc. John Lugwardyne, succentor, the dean and chapter, Nicholas Trappe, master of the city, and John Marler, prior of the house of St. John Baptist of Wells, are mentioned. Dated, [150]3, 19 Henry VII. Much mutilated.

Round seal; the letter T, enclosing a sheaf of corn.

741. 1527.—Record of proceedings in a suit by the dean and chapter of Wells against James Howell [?], Joan Pynkelow [?], Richard Bydon [?], Richard Williams and Richard Loode, for forcible entry on certain pasture lands in Newton Placy in the parish of North Pederton. Dated, Michaelmas term, 19 Hen. VIII.

Faded and partly illegible.

742. 1519.—John Riche, John Austell, canons, John Manyman, Andrew Grantham, John Toker, and John Bawdon, vicars, deceased, and John Aleyn, Richard Pomerey, and John Warder, vicars, now surviving, Greeting in the lord. Grant by Aleyn, Pomerey, and Warder, feoffees of the lands and tenements of John Waryn, formerly canon of Wells, to Masters John Bekham and John Edmunds, canons resident of Wells, Hugh Veysie, John Janyngs, William Capron, John Orchard, John Godard, Thomas Clerke [?], and John Gye, perpetual vicars, their heirs and assigns, of all the lands and possessions formerly of the said Waryn in Wells. Witnesses: William Cosyn, dean of Wells, Peter Carsley, Roger Church, canons resident, [and others]. Dated, Ladyday, 10 Hen. VIII.

Seals.

  • (1) Initial I.
  • (2) Initials R P.
  • (3) Crowned R.

743. 1519.—Power of attorney by John Aleyn, Richard Pomerey and John Warder, feoffees of the lands and tenements of John Waryn in Wells, to John Tyler and Nicholas More, to deliver seisin of the same to John Bekham and John Edmund, canons, Hugh Veysie and others. Dated, the Annunciation of the Virgin, 10 Hen. VIII.

Two seals, as (1) and (3) in no. 742.

744. 1526.—Indenture by Walter Stryde, burgess of Wells, reciting an assignment by Thomas Cornysshe, bishop of Tine, deceased, to Walter and his wife Alice, also deceased, of all his interest in a tenement called "La Antelope," in Chamberlayne st., leased to him and Master John Lugwardyn, deceased, by the dean and chapter of Wells for 80 years; and of land in Le Mowtreylane Wells, leased to him by the prior and convent of St. John Baptist's Hospital, Wells, for 99 years, etc.; and assigning the remainders of the leases to Sirs Thomas Weston and John Godarde, clerks, vicars-choral and principals of the New Close, for commemorating the grantor, and the said Thomas Cornysshe and John Lugwardyn, in the chapel called Cokeham's Chapel, in the south churchyard of the cathedral; etc. Dated, 20 April, 1526, 17 Hen. VIII.

745. 1526.—Award by Richard Tollett, LL.D., vicar-general in spirituals of the bishop of Exeter, Thomas Brerewode, LL.B., commissary-general of the same bishop, Alnatheus Arscott, LL.B., and Thomas Wyse, LL.B., canons residentiary of Exeter, confirming to the prioress and convent of Buklond, in the diocese of Bath and Wells—against the claim of the dean and chapter and archdeacon of Wells—the right of the said convent to the tithes, oblations, &c., of their churches during vacancies; and ordering a payment to the convent of 15s. for their costs and in settlement of 6s. 8d. illegally taken by Master John Gye for the said dean and chapter and archdeacon in regard to their claim, during the vacancy of the vicarage of the church of Kemersdon; one third of the 15s. is put against the ven. Polidore Virgil, archdeacon of Wells, in regard that he had one third of the gain. Dated, Exeter, 26 Nov., 1526.

Signed by the arbitrators; seals gone.

746. 1527.—Bond by Roger Longe, William Longe, William Bragge and William Cobbyll alias Brymmall, husbandmen, of Kyngston, Somerset, to John Hardman and John Dune, clerks, principals of the New Close, in 40l., to observe the covenants in a pair of indentures of even date. Dated, 20 [?] Sept., 19 Hen. VIII.

Four roughly cut seals.

747. 1527.—Deed by John Pennande, decretorum doctor, vicar-general in spirituals of John [Clerk], bishop of Bath and Wells, the bishop being abroad, setting forth the details of the union, appropriation, consolidation, and incorporation of the parish churches of Henton-Monachorum and Norton St. Philip's, to the house or priory of Locus Dei of Henton, of the Carthusian order, Bath and Wells diocese. Dated, Wells, 1 Oct., 1527.

Confirmed by William, prior, and the convent of Bath, 4 Nov., same year, and by Thomas Wynter, dean, and the chapter of Wells, 7 Nov., same year. (fn. 1)

748. 1528–9.—Letters of William [Warham], archbishop of Canterbury, to John Beckham, president of the chapter of Wells, in reference to a case before Master John Cocks, LL.D., vicar-general in spirituals of the said archbishop, between Master Robert Gumby alias Awsten, canon of Wells, appellant, and the said John Beckham, dismissing the case. Dated, Lamehithe manor, 16 Feb., 1528 [1529], 26th year of the archbishop.

749. 1530–1.—Confirmation by Richard Woleman, dean, and the chapter of Wells, of a grant made by their predecessors to Richard Smyth alias Bramston, vicar-choral of Wells, of leave of absence from matins during his life-time, and two months' leave in each year, during which time he "may use and were the apparell and vesture of a lay man"; together with an annuity of 7d. a week, in consideration of which he shall exercise and occupy the office of clerk of the works of the said cathedral church without fee. Dated, Chapterhouse, 31 Jan., 1530, 22 Henry VIII. English.

(Signed) per me Ryc: Bramston.

Oval signet; a girl's head, in profile, to the dexter.

750. 1530—1.—Indenture whereby Richard Woleman, dean, and the chapter of Wells, grant to Richard Smyth alias Bramston, vicar-choral perpetual of the same, an annuity of 4l., in consideration of his surrender of the office of clerk of the works of the cathedral, for which he was paid 53s. 4d. yearly, and of his surrender of the office of teaching the choristers, for which he was paid 26s. 8d.; with power of distress on the manor of North Cory. Dated, Chapterhouse, 31 Jan., 1530, 22 Hen. VIII. English.

Signed and sealed as in no. 749.

751. 1533.—Lease by Master William Bowman, clerk, subdean of Wells, parson of Woky, to John Frenche, "chepman," of Norton Canons, for 8 years, of the parsonage of Woky; rent 22l. Dated, 11 Oct., 25 Hen. VIII. English.

752. 1533–4.—Draft bond by Hugh Veysye, John Hardman, John Smyth senior and John Lambert, clerks, vicars-choral of Wells, to Peter Carsligh and John Gye, clerks, canons residentiary, administrators of the goods of the late William Capron, clerk, vicar-choral and communar of the cathedral church, in 100 marks, to abide by the award of Walter Cretynge and "Jeamys" Gilbert, canons residentiary, in respect of a claim by Carsligh and Gye, as such administrators, to an inn lately rebuilt, called the "Christofer," on the south side of High street, Wells. Dated, 17 Jan., 25 Hen. VIII.

Indorsed. Memorandum that on the 19th January, 1533[–4], in the Common Hall of the Vicars' Close there assembled Sirs John Smyth senior and John Lambert, principals, and Sirs Thomas Weston, John Bradon, John Goderd, Edward Prouse, Thomas Fudge, and others, vicars, who unanimously undertook to indemnify the said Smyth, Lambert, Veysy and Hardman, in their bonds to the dean and chapter of Wells, and appointed them to treat with the arbitrators mentioned above.

753. 1533–4.—Bond by Richard Woleman, dean, and the chapter of Wells, to Hugh Veyzy, John Hardman, John Smyth senior, and John Lambert, clerks, vicars-choral, in 100l., to abide by the arbitration of Walter Cretinge and James Gilbert, canons resident, respecting the lease for 99 years of a barn and barton, with lands, etc., and a fishery in a great course of water called Redecleff-yeowe in Somerset, to John Waynsford, canon, Thomas Chewe, Richard Hayne, clerks and vicars, and William Edmonds, executors of the will of John Pedewell, canon, dated, St. Edmond bishop, 1479, 9 Edward IV. Dated, 17 January, 25 Hen. VIII. Latin and English.

Pointed oval seal, broken and imperfect, bearing a full length bishop between two small dragons [?]; he is standing on the back of a man crouched on elbows and knees; S[IGILLV]M ECCLESIE BEATI A[NDREE] WELL'.

754. 1533–4.—Bond by Peter Carsleigh and John Gy, clerks, canons residentiary of Wells, administrators of William Capron, clerk, late vicar-choral and communar, deceased, to Hugh Veyzy, John Hardman, John Smyth senior and John Lambert, clerks, vicars-choral, in 100 marks, to abide by the arbitration of Walter Cretinge and James Gilbert, canons, as to the title to the Christofer Inn in High street. Dated, 17 Jan., 25 Hen. VIII.

(Signed) Per me Petrum Carslegh; per me Johannem Gy.

755. 1533–4.—Award by Walter Cretinge, LL.D., vicar-general in spirituals of John [Clerk], bishop of Bath and Wells, and James Gylbart, canon residentiary, in a dispute between Peter Carseleigh and John Gye, canons residentiary, administrators of the goods of Sir William Capron, late communar of the cathedral, and the vicars-choral, respecting the receipt and disposition of the rent of a new inn in Wells. Dated, Wells, 23 March, 25 Hen. VIII.

(Signed) Per me Walterum Cretyng; per me Jacobum Gilbert.

Seals. (1) Oval; an impression of a very fine antique gem, a nude figure holding a sword in the left hand, and apparently holding in the right hand a large shield with an ornamental boss.

(2) Fragmentary; I G in monogram.

756. 1534.—Lease by John Hardman and William Needis, principals of the New Close, with the assent of all the perpetual vicars, to Robert Hewlet of Wells, tiler, and Alice his wife, for their lives, of a tenement and garden in Chamberlaynstrete, Wells; rent 10s. Dated, the Common Hall, 3 Oct., 26 Hen. VIII.

Round seal, imperfect; letter A.

757. 1534.—Bond by the dean and chapter of Wells to Andrew Lutterell of Somerset, knt., in 100l., to abide by the arbitration of Sir John Fitzjames, chief justice of the King's Bench, and Anthony Fitzharberd, one of the justices of the common pleas, in certain disputes (no details) as by process of record in the common pleas more plainly appears. Dated, 27 Oct., 26 Hen. VIII.

758. 1535.—"Offe perdicions in the churche for prime, masse and evensonge." Regulations made by John Smithe senior and John Smithe junior, principals of the New Close, Wells, and the whole of the vicars-choral, appointing the "cominer" of the cathedral to "reserve the perditions" of all vicars, and to deduct from their salaries any fines which they shall become subject to through absences from the choir at prime or mass or evensong, at the rate laid down by John Tregunwell, LL.D., general visitor of the dioceses of Salisbury, Bath and Wells, and Exeter, viz. ¼ d. for each absence at prime, ½ d. at mass, and ¼ d. at evensong. Dated, 15 Oct., 1535.

Draft or copy.

759. 1535.—Commission by John [Clerk], bishop of Bath and Wells, king's commissary, appointing the dean and chapter of Wells to nominate three priors, to examine into the affairs connected with the service instituted by Bishop Joceline in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and two priors to examine those connected with the service called "Martyns masse" in St. Martin's chapel, near the font in the cathedral, instituted by the same. Dated, Wells Palace, 14 Dec., 1535.

Confirmed by the dean and chapter, dated, Chapterhouse, 2 Jan., 1535 [1536], and by the prior and convent of Bath, dated, Chapterhouse, same date.

Seal of Wells chapter, with two counterseals.

Seal of Bath priory.

760. 1536–1537.—Accounts of John Churchehill, reeve of the manor of Newton Plecy, for one year from Michaelmas, 28 Hen. VIII, to Michaelmas, 29 Hen. VIII. Paper, mutilated.

761. 1540.—Acquittance by the collector of the ecclesiastical subsidy to William FitzWilliam, clerk, dean of Wells (sede vacante) for one year due at Christmas, 32 Hen. VIII.

(Signed) per Ric'm Modye, auditor'.

762. 1541.—Copy, certified by William [Knight], bishop of Bath and Wells, of a commission by William [Knight], bishop of Bath and Wells, to Thomas Clerke, Nicholas Fitz James, Aldred Fitzjames, and William Godwyn, to be surveyors of his manors, lands and tenements in Somerset and Devon. Dated, 6 Sept., 33 Hen VIII.

763. 1541–2.—Lease by the dean and chapter of Wells to Walter Cretyng, archdeacon of Bath, for life, of "the rome of two coples within the walles from the est end of the worke house . . . in the camery" on the south side of the cathedral, 16 feet long, to make a stable, and a loft over the same, and a little orchard, and the herbage of the camery; rent 6s. 8d. payable to the master or clerk of the fabric. Dated, 20 March, 33 Hen. VIII. English.

(Signed) Walter Cretyng.

Oval signet; a lion's face, from an antique gem.

764. 1542.—Lease by William [Knight], bishop of Bath and Wells, to Thomas Illary of Kyngesbury, Somerset, husbandman, John his son, and Isabel, John's wife, for their lives, of land in Kyngesbury; rent 19s. 3 ½ d. Dated, 11 May, 34 Hen. VIII. English.

765. 1542.—Bond by Thomas Sheppard of Lovyngton, Somerset, clerk, John Holeway, clerk, rector of Alford, Somerset, and Richard Hugons of Lovyngton, husbandman, to the dean and chapter, in 40l., to observe covenants in a lease of the church and parsonage of Lovyngton. Dated, 1 Oct., 34 Hen. VIII.

Two round seals.

  • (1) The initials I H.
  • (2) A fleur-de-lis; IOHN BISSEL.

766. 1546.—Release by Weltheana Jenkyns alias Smyth, widow of John Jenkyns alias Smith, of Cardeph, co. Glamorgan, to the dean and chapter of Wells, of all her right to a messuage and land in Byknaller, Somerset, by way of dower. Dated, 7 July, 38 Hen. VIII.

Seal; an uncertain monogram, [?] W I.

767. 1546–7.—Lease by the dean and chapter of Wells, to Christopher Wilkyns and Nicholas Morden, for 60 years, of a messuage and land in Bicknaller, called "Jenkyns bargayne"; rent 26s. 8d. Dated, 38 Hen. VIII. Mutilated.

Round seals.

  • (1) Initials W.K.
  • (2) Initials N.D.; QVODSEMELLICVIT. S.P.

768. 1549.—Lease by the dean and chapter of Wells to John Sheperde, for 50 years, of the reversion of 20 acres of pasture in Congresbury parsonage, Somerset; rent 10s. Dated, Wells, Chapterhouse, 3 May, 3 Edw. VI. English.
Mutilated
.

769. 1550.—Lease by William [Barlow], bishop of Bath and Wells, to John Butler of Kingsbury, husbandman, Alice his wife, and John their son, for their lives, of lands in the manor of Kyngesburye; rent 19s. 4 ½ d. Dated, 20 April, 4 Edward VI.

770. 1550.—Lease by William [Barlow], bishop of Bath and Wells, to John Luccock of Kyngesburye, Somerset, husbandman, and John and Richard, his sons, for their lives, of lands in the manor of Kyngesburye; rent 14s. 11 ½ d. Dated, 20 April, 4 Edw. VI. English.

771. 1550.—Lease by William [Barlow], bishop of Bath and Wells, to Robert Segar of Kingsburye, Somerset, husbandman, Isabel his wife, and . . . . ., for their lives, of land in the manor of Kyngesburye; rent 10s. 6d. Dated, 20 April, 4 Edw. VI. English.

772. 1550.—Bargain and sale by John Thynne, knt., and Lawrence Hyde, gent., to William Stourton, his heirs and assigns, of a messuage or mansion with appurtenances, lately belonging to the guild or fraternity of Corescombe, Somerset; with power of attorney to Geoffrey Upton and another to deliver seisin. Dated, — May, 4 Edw. VI. Mutilated.

Seals.

  • (1) Oval; from a gem, Fortuna, holding a victory.
  • (2) Oval; an eagle rising.

773. 1552.—Grant by William [Barlow], bishop of Bath and Wells, and the dean and chapter, to Sir John Gate, knt., vice-chamberlain of the king, and "capytaine of his grace's garde," in contemplation of the king's letters, of the Lady Chapel in the cloister on the south side of the cathedral, with all stones, stone-work, lead, glass, timber and iron; the said Sir John to clear the site of all rubbish, etc., and "make the grounde fayre and playne" within the space of 41/4 years, and to "repayre and amende the condyte pypes lyinge by the syde of the sayed chapple," and shall keep "the severall pyttes of the saied condytt, fayre, clene and open"; he is to have free access through "the great gate in the palace syde, commonlye called the Camerye gate." Dated, 20 June, 6 Edw. VI. (Signed) John Gate. English.

774. 1552–3.—Lease by the dean and chapter of Wells, for 16l. 13s. 4d., to William Lyte of Lyllysdyn, Somerset, esq., for 50 years, of a tenement at La Nythe in the parish of Northecurry, &c.; rent 15s. Dated, Wells, Chapterhouse. 22 Feb., 7 Edw. VI.

(Signed) By me Will'm Lyte.

775. 1553.—Grant by the dean and chapter, to William Lyte of Lylysden, Somerset, esq., of the wardship and marriage of Thomas Norton, a minor, son and heir of the late Anthony Norton, esq., with the moiety of the manor of Stathe, Saltmoore, and Andersey, held by knight's service of the dean and chapter, reserving to the grantors the ancient rent of 26s. 8d. and a bushel of corn; for the sum of 20l. paid beforehand. Dated, Chapterhouse, 1 Oct., 1 Mary.

(Signed) Wyll'm Lyte.

776. 1553.—Bond by William Lyte, to the dean and chapter of Wells, for 200l.; relates to the Norton wardship. Dated, 1 Oct., 1 Mary. Partly illegible.

777. 1553.—Extract from the roll of the accounts of the annual tenth of the clergy, being an acquittance to the dean and chapter of the cathedral church of Bath and Wells, for sums specified. Dated, 1 Oct., 1 Mary.

778. 1554.—Bond by John FitzJames, clerk, archdeacon of Taunton and canon residentiary of Wells, to the dean and chapter of Wells, in 100l., warranting them against any claim by "Jone" Fyvyan of Langford-Budfeld, Somerset, widow, with regard to a lease to one Roger Cade, made by FitzJames, and confirmed by the dean and chapter at his request. Dated, 23 Oct., 1 and 2 Philip and Mary.

(Signed) Joannes FitzJames.

779. 1554–5.—Acquittance by Gilbert [Bourn], bishop of Bath and Wells, to Thomas Fudge and Bartlemewe Blithman, clerks, vicars-choral, and principals of the New Close, for 20l. in full of 50l. due for a fine for a close of meadow called Water-lease, with appurtenances called Bendecrofts, in the tithing of Wells. Dated, 12 March, 1554.

Signature and seal of the bishop.

Oval seal, impression of a gem; a bearded bust in profile to the sinister.

780. 1555.—Bond by the master and burgesses of the borough of Wells, to the dean and chapter of the cathedral church of Wells, in 300l., to observe the covenants in a pair of indentures of even date. Dated, 16 Aug., 2 and 3 Philip and Mary.

Imperfect impression of the common seal of the city.

781. 1555.—Grant by William Stourton of Wormyster, esq., and Thomasia his wife, to Michael Burton, Roger Marten, and others, vicars-choral of Wells, of the reversion of houses and lands in Croscombe, to augment the commons of the vicarschoral. Dated, Wormyster, 14 Oct., 2 and 3 Philip and Mary. Mutilated.

(Signed) Wyll'm Stourton; T.S.

Round seal; W.S. upon an ornamental shield.

782. 1555.—Power of attorney by William Stourton of Wormester, Somerset, esq., and Tomasia his wife, to Geoffrey Upton of the same place, gent., to deliver to Michael Burton, Walter Nowell, Nicholas Prynne, and Roger Marton, vicars-choral of Wells, seisin of two houses situate in Croscombe, near the churchyard there, which houses the said William acquired from John Thynne, knt., and Lawrence Hyde. Dated, 24 Oct., 2 and 3 Philip and Mary, 1555.

(Signed) Wyll'm Stourton; T.S.

Seals.

  • (1) An ornamental shield, charged with a bird in a trap (?), above the shield W.S.
  • (2) As in no. 781.

783. 1557.—Bond by William Wytcombe of Langporte, Somerset, gent., to the dean and chapter of Wells, in 60l., to observe the covenants in a pair of indentures of even date. Dated, 16 April, 3 and 4 Philip and Mary.

784. 1557.—Grant by John Smyth and William Needis, late vicars-choral of Wells, to Thomas Fudge, Thomas Moore, George Huchyns, Richard Camell, John Fenne, Walter Nowell, and Walter Humfrayes, perpetual vicars, their heirs and assigns, of all messuages, lands, etc., in Prestleighe in the parish of Dultynge, Somerset, which the said John and William held jointly with Thomas Cleke, John Lyllyhede, John Coole, and Richard Bramston, late perpetual vicars of Wells, of the gift of Richard Pomeroye and Thomas Farre; with power of attorney to Thomas Hooper and Andrew Thorne, perpetual vicars, to deliver seisin. Dated, 8 May, 1557, 3 and 4 Philip and Mary.

(Signed) John Smyth, clerk.

785. 1557.—Lease, for a fine of 13l. 6s. 8d., by Andrew Thorne and Thomas More, clerks, perpetual vicars of Wells, and principals of the New Close, with the consent of all the vicars, of the reversion of the lands and tenements held by John Cockes, in Tyston in the parish of Wells, to his wife Joan, and his daughter Joan, for their lives; rent 4s. Dated, 4 Sept., 4 and 5 Philip and Mary.

786. 1558.—Indenture whereby the dean and chapter of Wells and the master and burgesses of the town, specify the uses of the sum of 60l. bequeathed by Walter Cretinge, late archdeacon of Bath, to be lent for two years at a time to six poor burgesses at the rate of 10l. each, under supervision of the corporation. Dated, 21 Sept., 1558, 5 and 6 Philip and Mary. English.

787. [1562.]—Indenture, too imperfect to be described in detail. Dated, 23 Sept, . . Elizabeth.

It relates to William Bourman's gift of 20l. for loans to honest men of the parish of Wevelescombe. See no. 789.

788. 1562.—Bond by Alice Lacye, late of Bristol, "mayden," to Thomas Hooper and Robert Fanner of Wells, clerks, in 40l., not to make any claim against the dean and chapter with respect to a tenement in Wellisleigh, in the parish of St. Cuthbert, Wells. Dated, 14 May, 1562, 4 Eliz.

Oval signet; a female bust to the dexter.

789. 1562.—Bond in 100 marks by Lawrence Togood, yeoman, and Robert Benett, tanner, of Wyvelescombe, Somerset, churchwardens of Wyvelescumbe, with the consent of the parishioners, to William Bourman, perpetual vicar of the said church; concerning the sum of 20l. granted by the above William Bourman to the churchwardens, to be lent for two years at a time to four honest men. Dated. 18 Sept., 4 Eliz.

790. 1562.—Bond by William Drewe of Woky, Somerset, gent., and John Edwardes of the same, husbandman, churchwardens, to William Bowreman, clerk, subdean of Wells and rector of Woky, in 100 marks, for the due disposition of a sum of 20l. given by the said subdean for parochial uses as specified. Dated, 4 Oct., 4 Eliz. Partly illegible.

791. 1562–3.—Bargain and sale by Richard Robertz of London, gent., to Thomas Fudge and Thomas Hooper, clerks, their heirs and assigns, of all those buildings in Wells, built by Hugh Sugar, sometime treasurer, on the east side of Le Mountrey Lane and the Canons' House. Dated, 8 Feb., 5 Eliz.

(Signed) Richard Robertz.

Oval signet; an antique gem; a full length figure holding a crooked staff and mask.

792. 1565.—Receipt by John Whorne alias Barbar of Radlinges, Somerset, servingman, for 53l. 6s. 8d. in full payment of his claim against the dean and chapter of Wells, in full of all demands touching any grant or reversion of lands in the manor and hundred of Northe Corye. Dated, 8 Oct., 1565.

793. 1565.—Bond by John Whorne alias Barbar of Radlinges, Somerset, servingman, to the dean and chapter of Wells, in 100 marks, to indemnify them against any claim relating to lands in Northcorye, made by his sister Isabel, wife of Thomas Norman of Wells, smith, and Richard Kegill. Dated, 9 Oct., 1565, 7 Eliz.

794. 1566.—Lease by John Ayleworth, esq., to Thomas Fudge and Thomas Hooper, clerks, principals of the New Close, Wells, of a vacant place of land in Le Montrelane, Wells, for 300 years, to begin on the expiration of a lease for 80 years, made 10 Nov., 1510, by Thomas Marler, late prior or master of the dissolved house or Hospital of St. John Baptist in Wells, to Thomas Cornish, bishop of Tine, precentor of Wells; rent a red rose to Ayleworth and his heirs, and 2s. to the dean and chapter. Dated, Wells, 31 March, 1566, 8 Eliz.

(Signed) J. Aylworth.

795. 1569.—Indenture setting out the balance in the hands of John Dane, communar, by Master James Bonde, archdeacon of Bath, and Master Adrian Hawthorne, chancellor of Wells, and others. Dated, 10 Nov., 11 Eliz., 1569. English.

(Signed) Jo. Daane.

796. 1572.—Indenture between the dean and chapter of Wells, and the master and burgesses of the town of Wells, respecting the carrying out of certain conditions under which a sum of 40l. has been bequeathed by the late John Haggett of Wells, and paid by Cicely his widow, to the said master and burgesses. Dated, 1 Oct., [14] Eliz., 1572. English.

Damaged seal of the town.

797. 1574.—Lease by the dean and chapter of Wells, to Richard James of Wells, yeoman, for 40 years, of a tenement in High st., Wells; rent, 13s. 4d. Dated, 1 July, 16 Eliz. English.

798. 1577–8.—Lease by Walter Celye and John Gibson, principals of the New Close, to Agnes Cornishe, widow, for 21 years, of a tenement in Groplane, Wells; rent 5s. Dated, 28 Feb., 1577, 20 Eliz.

Round seal; initials I.H.S.

799. 1583.—Grant by Walter Celye, clerk, sometime vicar-choral, and Thomas Goolde, vicar-choral of Wells, to Roger Rugge, Hugh Pounde, Elway Bevin, John Hulett, Matthew Jeffreys, John Lilliat, and William Taylor, vicars-choral, their heirs and assigns, of a tenement, 5 stables, an orchard and a garden, in La Montroye Lane, Wells, lately purchased from Richard Robertes of London, gent.; an annual payment of 32s. 8d. is to be made for the better maintenance "and kepinge of the commons" of the vicars-choral, for the period of 20 years, at the end of which time the survivors of the said vicars-choral shall demise the same to other vicars-choral at the same rental and on the same conditions. Dated, 30 July, 1583, 25 Elizabeth. English.

Two round seals;

  • (1) an elaborate knot between the initials W.C. CONFITEMINI DEO CELI.
  • (2) Initials I.G.

Signatures of grantors.

800. 1583.—Bond in 200l. by Humfrey Hooper, John Hewlett, John Lyllyatt and William Taylor, vicars-choral, to Thomas Fissher, Thomas Welsted, John Gibson, and other vicars-choral, respecting the collection of revenues from 18 acres of meadow called Waterlease, in the lane near Hoopers Gate, etc. Dated, 6 Aug., 25 Eliz.

Three round seals.

  • (1) Initials I.W.
  • (2) A merchant's mark.
  • (3) From a gem, a bust in profile to the dexter.

Signatures of the four bondsmen.

Footnotes

  • 1. * The initial letter U at the beginning of this document is an unusually fine specimen of pen-work.