The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 134v] In the parish of St. Martin Oteswych
759. [c.1225] Grant by William de Brokedych son of Walter to Holy Trinity of 2s. 6d. of quit rent, in free alms, which William de Berkyng, baker, was accustomed to pay the grantor from land between the land that was of James Fynk on the west and land that was of Henry de St. Helen on the east; also William the Baker and his heirs will quit the fee (acquietabunt finaliter) against Martin son of William son of Isabel and his heirs of all services which they owe to the fee; William warrants the prior and convent against all; witnesses, James Blund, alderman, Adam de St. Helen, Martin de Oteswych.
C.A.D., ii, A 2668.
760. [List of those paying quit rent]: William de Berkyng; Andrew Ferron who granted the tenement to Stephen Palmer as appears by the following charter.
761. [c. 1225–45] Grant of Andrew Ferron and Wymarca his wife to Stephen Palmer and Eufemia his wife of all his land in the parish of St. Martin; abutments, the land late of Henry de St. Helen on the east of the fee of the nuns of Godestowe and the land which James Fink held on the west which land the grantors bought from William de Berkyng, baker, and Matilda his wife containing in length from the road to the land that was of Philip the Cook (Cocus) 45 ells and in width along the road 23¾ ells and at the end of the court it contains in width 12½ ells; to hold to the grantees and their heirs and to whomsoever they may wish to assign it; rent to the ancient lords of the fee 5s. 1d., to Martin son of William 15½d., to Holy Trinity 15d. at Michaelmas, and to William son of William 15½d., and to Holy Trinity 15d. at the same term, and to the grantees and their heirs ½ lb. of cumin or 1d. without fail or miskenning; gersuma 16 marks; sealed; witnesses, James Blund, alderman, Ralph the chaplain, writer of this deed, (compositor huius scripti), Serlo the Mercer.
762. [c. 1225–45] Grant by Stephen Palmer and Eufemia his wife to Jordan de Coventre of land [described as in 761 above] which the grantors bought from Andrew Ferron etc.; [f. 135] to hold [as above with the same outgoings as above] to Holy Trinity 15d. at Easter and 15d. at Michaelmas; gersuma 16 marks; witnesses, Robert rector of St. Martin Oteswych, James Blund, mayor. (fn. 1)
763. Note: Jordan de Coventre and William Bray paid the rent mentioned in 762.
764. [1252–3] Grant by John de Coventre to John prior and convent of 10s. 11d. of quit rent which William Bray had been accustomed to pay the grantor from a tenement in the parish of St. Martin which Stephen le Paumier sold to Jordan, the grantor's brother; the canons gave 8½ marks sterling as gersuma; the grantor gave the canons all the muniments he had concerning the aforesaid rent together with his sealed charter; witnesses, John de Tolosan, mayor, William de Dunolm, Thomas de Wimburn, sheriffs.
C.A.D., ii, A 2258.
765. Note: William son of Roger gave to John prior and convent 23d. p.a. of quit rent which William Bray paid to him as appears in Charter Fifteen (fn. 2) of several parishes.
766. Note: William Bray paid 15s. 4d. and afterwards Henry the Cofferer and Joan his wife who granted the same tenement to William de Otiswich as appears by the following charter.
767.  Grant of Joan 'le Coffrere' de St. Edmund in her widowhood to Master William de Oteswich, surgeon (sirugicus), of London of all that tenement with two shops which John de St. Edmund, once her husband had with the grantor in the parish of St. Martin; abutments, the tenement of the abbey of St. Albans and that of Master William on the west and the houses and tenement once of Thomas de Louekenore and Thomas Brangweyn on the east and extending from the king's street on the south to the garden of the late Gilbert le Kyssere on the north; to hold of the grantee and her heirs begotten by John de St. Edmund; rent 40s. p.a. to the grantee and her heirs and to St. Mary Somerset 8d. p.a.; Master William to maintain the houses and shops [f. 135v] so that they do not deteriorate; if the rent is not paid Joan and her heirs have the right to enter and take naam and Master William allows entry on all his tenements in this parish; two charters chirographed; witnesses, Elias Russel, mayor, John de Armentieres, Henry de Fingre, sheriffs.
C.A.D., ii, A 2667.
768. [List of those paying quit rent]: William de Oteswich, 28 Ed. I and 1 and 19 Ed. II; John Brystowe, 6 Ed. III; John Clo(u)e, 20 Ed. III; the lady Alice ?Regina, 32 Ed. III; William Hervi, 46 Ed. III; Richard Olyons, 48 Ed. III and 3 Ric. II; John Wakle.
769. [1262–3] Grant by William Bray to Gilbert prior and convent of 4s. p.a. of quit rent from the grantor's land and houses next the parish church of St. Martin opposite the grantor's capital messuage (managium) next the land and houses of Richard the Carpenter; if the canons cannot obtain 4s. therefrom he pledges his whole messuage which he holds of their fee so that they can take naam there both for the 4s. and for the rent he previously owed them; the canons gave 40s.; sealed; witnesses, Thomas son of Thomas son of Richard, mayor, Osbert de Suffolc, Robert de Muntpell(ier), sheriffs, Peter Armiger, alderman.
C.A.D., ii, A 2394.
770. [List of those paying rent]: William Bray; Robert Stere; his widow; Edmund de Hamundesham who granted the tenement to Walter de Leycestre as appears in their charter enrolled 29 Ed. I; Master William Oteswich, 1 and 5 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; John Broun, 20 Ed. III; Adam Carpenter, 30 Ed. III; Alice Regina, 49 Ed. III and 8 Ric. II; John Chirchman, 6 Hy. IV.
771. [c. 1230] Grant by Martin the Baker of Cornhull to Holy Trinity, for the salvation of his soul and that of Eugenia, his wife, of 3s. p.a. of quit rent out of 19s. p.a. which Isabel widow of Richard Radyng was accustomed to pay the grantor from land which she holds of him in the parish of St. Martin saving to himself and his heirs 16s.; the canons to hold in free alms; if the rent is in arrears the canons are allowed to take naam until 3s. is paid; witnesses, Walter de Insula, alderman, John son of Daniel.
C.A.D., ii, A 2665.
772. [f. 136] [List of those paying quit rent]: Isabel Radyng; Hugh Maresch(all); Ralph Mersch; Henry Merk; the canons of Sothwark; Peter le Hodere; Ralph Crepi(n), 1 and 19 Ed. II and 1 and 6 Ed. III; John Totenham, 30 Ed. III; Walter Tudenham, 48 Ed. III; John Chirchman, 8 Ric. II and 6 Hy. IV which John had two tenements and paid 7s. as appears by the following acquittance [See also after 773].
773. Acquittance of Robert prior and convent which acknowledges the receipt from John Chirchman, citizen and grocer, of 7s. of arrears of an annual quit rent and another 7s. at Michaelmas from a certain tenement with gardens and shops situated in Bradestrete between the church of St. Martin on the east and the tenement of the Carthusians on the west and 3s. comes, time out of mind, from the tenement and shops between the tenement of the Carthusians on the east and the tenement of the Tailors' hall (del Taillourshalle) on the west; sealed by both parties; dated London 30 June 1405.
772 contd. The Tailors' gild by the gift of John Chirchman who paid until the writing of the cartulary [1425–7].
774. Total of this parish 22s. 4d. and it is tithed at this in the king's exemplification.