A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
See Paul's (St.) Brewery.
See Winchester House.
On the east side of Bishopsgate, between the Dolphin and Fisher's Folly, built by John Powlet (S. 167).
No later mention.
See Paul's Wharf.
Precincts or Liberties
These were certain privileged areas within the City of London which, prior to 1697, were exempt from the jurisdiction of the City, and possessed the rights of sanctuary, of electing their own sheriffs, of freedom from arrest within the precinct, etc.
These privileges seem to have been derived from the charters and exemptions bestowed upon the monastic foundations whether by royal decree or by papal bull, and to have continued in force within the privileged areas after the monastic bodies on whom they were bestowed had been swept away.
The word "precinct" signified the space enclosed by walls or other boundaries of a place or building, from the Low Latin "precinctum "= boundary.
These precincts included : St. Martin's le Grand ; Blackfriars; Whitefriars; St. Katherine's by the Tower, formerly in Portsoken Ward; Tower Liberties, Minories precinct; Old Artillery Ground; The Temple; Duke's Place, Aldgate.
In course of time the possession and exercise of these privileges led to grave abuses, with the result that many of these areas became the resort of characters of the lowest class and were a serious menace to the peace and security of the inhabitants of the City.
The privileges were abolished by Act of Parliament, 1697, and the areas again brought under the jurisdiction of the City.
See Priest Court.
Preist Alley, St. Dunstan in the East
North out of Church Alley, opposite St. Dunstans Church (Strype, 1720 and 1755).
Former form: " Priests Alley" (O. and M.1677). See Porteslane.
See Dean's Court, Carter Lane.
Now in Somerset House.
In O. and M. at the south end of Prerogative Court leading out of St. Paul's Church-yard, 1677.
Afterwards removed to Great Knightrider Street, adjoining Doctors' Commons (Rocque, 1746). Remained there until 1874, when it was removed to Somerset House.
This was the Court in which wills were proved and administrations granted that belonged to the Archbishop of Canterbury by his prerogative.
Presbiterian Meeting House
On the south side of Silver Street, in Farringdon Ward Within (det.) (Strype, 1720 and 1755).
Site has been rebuilt.
Presbyterian Meeting House
See Weigh House.
See Great Prescott Street.
Preston's Yard, Minories
See Perston's Yard.
See Prujean Square.
Priest Alley, All Hallows Barking
South out of Great Tower Street, opposite All Hallows Churchyard, and west of the Inland Revenue Office (Collingridge's map, 1908).
A passage to Tower Hill (Hatton, 1708).
First mention : " Prieste Alley," 1583 (Maskell, p.164 End. Ch. Rep. 1902, p.2).
Site now occupied by business houses.
East out of Foster Lane at No.5 (P.O. Directory). In Aldersgate Ward.
First mention: O. and M. 1677.
Called in Horwood, 1799, " Preest Court."
In the parish of St. Mary at Hill, in Billingsgate Ward.
It is frequently mentioned in the Records of that church, pub. E.E.T.S., and seems to have formed part of the church property.
In 1487-8 three wicket-keys were provided for the entry door in the " prestes Aleye," and a clyket key to the Aleye dorr where the preste dwelt (136).
The newe housyng in the " prestes alye " was repaired 1492-3 (p.184) and a chamber there was cleaned 1524 (p.322).
The Rents of the" Prestes Aley "are given 1537-8 with the names of the tenants (376).
In 1559 the bellowse maker owed 6s. 8d. for half a years rent of his house there (413).
Probably adjoined the church of St. Mary at Hill.
Not further identified.
See Preist Alley.
See Prujean Square.
See Primrose Street.