Historical Gazetteer of London Before the Great Fire Cheapside; Parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane, St Martin Pomary, St Mary Le Bow, St Mary Colechurch and St Pancras Soper Lane. Originally published by Centre for Metropolitan History, London, 1987.
This free content was born digital. All rights reserved.
This property, a small, asymmetrical shop, lay between 25 to the W. and 28 to the E., facing N. onto the street later known as Poultry. It may originally have been an encroachment or pentice in front of 26.
In 1278 this shop was held by Hervey le Ferroun, and was one of 4 shops in Colechurch parish (27-30) from each of which John le Ferroun had a rent of 1 mark (13s. 4d.) which he left for a chantry in St. Stephen Walbrook. In 1286 Thomas Kari, owner of 26, leased to Roger de Euere, ironmonger, a solar in the parish of St. Mary de Colchurche encontre le frount du condut, between the shop of Adam de Seint Auban the younger (le Joefne) on one side and the shop of Hamo le Ferrun on the other, for life at 8s. rent. This solar may have been over 27 and possibly 28; the le Ferrun family or group occupied parts of 25 and the St. Albans family 28 and 29. De Euere could use the grantor's stone wall to carry his building and receive his corbels, and was to maintain against weather. By his will, proved in 1291, William Hervi left his shop to Blackmore Priory, Essex, provided that his servant (vallettus) John should have a term in the same for 3 years, rendering 6s. 8d. p.a. as a pittance. After the 3 years the priory could do as it wished with the shop. In 1306 the shop inhabited by Hervy le Ismongere, probably identical with this, lay on one side of 25C-D. In 1318 the prior and convent of Blackmore demised the shop they had by legacy of William Hervy in Ismongerestret in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch to Sir Richer de Refham, kt., and his son John, owners of 26, in perpetual fee farm, for 16s. p.a. to them and 13s. 4d. to the church of St. Stephen Walbrook. The shop lay between 25 to the W., 26-28 to the S. and E., and the street to the N. It measured 3 ells 6 in. (9 ft. 6 in.; 2.9 m.) in width next to the street, 1 1/4 ells (3 ft. 9 in.; 1.14 m.) in depth on the W. side and 2 ells 6 in. (6 ft. 6 in.; 1.98 m.) on the E. side, and 2 1/4 ells (6 ft. 9 in.; 2.06 m.) in height from the ground to de Refham's solar above. The grantees bound the tenements adjoining which they had bought from Maud de Salle (28) for distraint if the rent were in arrears. (fn. 1)
By his will dated and proved in 1328 Richer de Refham, kt., left to his wife Joan for life 26 and other properties including 2 shops with solars over in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch which he acquired of Blackmore priory (27) and of Maud de Salles and Thomas Caumpes (28), rendering 16s. to the priory and £1. 6s. 8d. for a chaplain in the church of St. Stephen Walbrook. On Joan's death the properties were to remain to the testator's son John. From this period 27 was absorbed into 26, though it may have been let separately. The rent of 16s. to Blackmore Priory was still paid in the 16th century: in 1532 Henry VIII granted the properties of Blackmore Priory to Waltham Abbey, including a rent of 16s. for a messuage in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch, late in the tenure of John Abraham, citizen and poulterer. In 1540, after the dissolution of Waltham Abbey, a shop in St. Mary Colechurch parish and lands at Blackmore were granted to John Smyth of Blackmore. Possibly the holders of 26 continued to pay a rent to Smyth, but there is no record of this. The possibility of a claim by the descendants of John Smyth is indicated by a clause in a lease of 1616 relating to 26A (q.v.). The rent to St. Stephen Walbrook is not recorded in the 15th and early 16th century parish accounts, nor in the Chantry Certificate of 1548. (fn. 2)