Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Ap: 1st Monday, went to Lord Maxfeild; then to the House; dined at home, Biddolph, 2 Mainwarings with us; went with G.Mainwaring to Mrs Howard; then to the Grapes; there was Biddolph 2 Mainwarings, Wood, Rogers, Maxfeild &c; parted about 10.
2. Tuesday, went to the House; dined at home; 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph, Minshall, Bradshaw with us; about 4, I went to the Committe; came back before 9.
3. Wednesday, went to the House; dined at the Swan with Delamer, Maxfeild, Stanford, 2 Mainwarings, Lee, Biddolph, Norris, & my sonne; went to the Committe; then to the Rummer with Gardner, 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph, Minshall; then home past 9.
Ap: 4. Thursday, went to the House, dined at home with 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph.
5. Friday, went to the House, dined at Pryors with 2 Folyes, Winne, Bagot, Chetwyn, Gray, Biddolph Mainwaring.
6. Satorday, dined at Pryors with Mainwaring, Norris & Parker; then to the Committe; stayd there till 9; Norris brought me home.
7. Sonday, was not at church; Norris, Minshall, brother Peter, Bellot dined with us; Wynne came about 2 stayd an houer, in the evening Wood cald on me,; we went to the Bunch of Grapes; there was Rogers, Cooper & another; then came Maxwell; then came Roger, Mainwaring &c; Baroby, G.Mainwaring &c; we went to another roome, parted before 10.
8. Monday, went to the House dined at home with 2 Mainwarings & Biddolph went to the Committe; about 7 with Brandon, ?Vicars, Rowley, Harington, Lyddall & Mainwaring to Pryors, parted at 10.
9. Tuesday, went to the House; dined with G.Mainwaring & Biddolph at Hell; parted past 4; called on the Bishop of Chester's Lady; then went home; one Battin brought me a letter from Michael Johnson; stayd not long.
10. Wednesday, the Parliment did not sit; Lee &c; dined with us; about 5 went with Lee & Biddolph to Chelsey Garden; met Wood there; went to the Pinapple in Pell Mell; had 3 bottles; parted before 10.
11. Thursday, was the Coronacion day; was in the Hall & in the Abbey at the Ceremony; dined about 7 (with the other members) in the Exchequer Chamber; came home at 9; found Bellot & Nat: Lee there; parted before 11.
12. Friday, went to Lord Delamer; then to the House; dined at the Swan with Lee, Roger Mainwaring his sonne & Biddolph then to the Committe; then to Towers about 7; where were 3 Mainwarings, Lee; Terill and severall others; parted before 10.
13. Satorday, went to the House; dined at Pryors; with 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph, Norris, Bradshaw & Lee; then to the Committe; then to the Pineapple; there was Biddolph 2 Mainwarings & Baroby.
14. Sonday, was not at church; dined at home with Bellot, Minshall, Ely, brother &c; Saladine came about 3; then Mr Aston & a French minister; then my sonne & his wife; I went to Sir William Aston about 7; found him & Lady together; came home past 8.
15. Monday, went to the House; dined at Westminster (at Pryors) with Norris, Mainwaring Biddolph; & Lee, then to the Committe; then home before 9.
16. Tuesday, went to the House, dined at the Pineapple with 2 Trenchards, Rawleigh, Biddolph 3 Mainwarings, Goldsmith & my sonne; Roger came after dinner; we parted past 5; I went to the Committe; & home before 9.
17. Wednesday, Troughton came to Biddolph I went to the House, dined with G.Mainwaring at his neeces in London.
18. Thursday, went to the House, dined at the Swan with Mainwaring. Minshall, Roger, Parkhurst; then to the Committe.
19. Friday, went to the House, dined at Baskervile's with 3 Mainwarings, G:Mainwaring's wife &c; went to the St John's Head; there were severall (as Lee, a doctor of phisick, Fleming, Bellot &c;) Mainwaring& I went home about 10.
20. Satorday, went to the House, dined at Pryors; then to the Committe; then to the Pine; there was Biddolph Mainwaring & Laughton; home about 10.
21. Sonday, was not at church; dined at home, no company; walked in the evening with Lord Delamer in the Park; then to the Pine; there was Biddolph Mainwaring & Nat: Lee; parted at 10.
22. Monday, went to the House; dined at home with Biddolph, G.Mainwaring, Minshall &c; went to Westminster Hall; no Committe's; then to the Greyhound Taverne; there was Macclesfeild, Dutton, my sonne, Guyse, Colt, How, Arnold &c; I left them; went to Woods, then home, past 9.
23. Tuesday, brother Peter came to see us; I went to the House; dined at the Swan with Biddolph G.Mainwaring, Roger Mainwaring & Bellot; went to the Committe; then to Sir Thomas Mainwaring & home past 9 24. Wednesday, Hardware & his frind (Mr Greene) came to me; then the corne cutter; then a woman for money on Roger's account; I went to the House, sate till 6; then home to dinner; then to visit Sir Thomas Mainwaring; there was Lady Delamer, his daughters & my daughters; then home about .
Ap: 25. Thursday, Warburton & Humfreys came; stayd not long; I went to the House; dined at home; about 4, Sir Thomas Mainwaring came; I went with him to Whitehall; parted about 7; I went to Atwoods chamber in Grays Inne; he was abroad; went home; there was Lady Wood & daughters.
26. Friday, went to the House; dined at home, went againe to Westminster; then to the Bunch of Grapes; there was Biddolph, Roger, Maxfield, Wood &c; parted about 10.
27. Satorday, went to Westminster; sealed writings with Mrs Randolph at the Heaven; there was my 2 sons, Minshall & Houseman; went to the House agen; dined at home with Biddolph &c; about 6 went to Sir Thomas Mainwaring then to Grays Inne to Atwood; then to Sir Thomas Mainwaring there was Cotton & Roger Mainwaring then to the Bunch of Grapes; there was Bellot, Mainwaring, Rogers, Maxfeild, Gilmor, Cooling & another stranger; parted about 10.
28. Sonday, was not at church; dined at home with Mainwaring, Bellot, Minshall &c; Dr Louer came, presented me phisick; Wood called in the evening; went with him to Towers; there was Baroby, Gleg, Mainwaring, Bellot &c; parted about 10.
29. Monday, was let blood, by Peters; went to the House, dined at home with Biddolph, 2 Mainwarings & 2 sons; after dinner came brother & Morgan; then Sir Thomas Mainwaring I went to Westminster, then to take the ayre; then home; about 9 came Cotton & Lady, supt, stayd till 10.
30. Thursday, I took Pills, stayd at home; Peters came to make daughter an issue; Battie came to look after imployment & Crosby (a yong man from the Post office) on Mr Richard Warburtons recommendacion; Mrs Wood & Mrs Tovey dined with us; also Biddolph & 2 Mainwarings Wood came in the evening; stayd not; also Tovey &c; & my sonne.