Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
July. 1st . Tuesday, Jackson came from Chester past 9; Crew came about 10; I left them & Goldsmith there; they dined with my sonne, Bidolph & Mainwaring; the 2 last went to Peover about 4; my daughters, sister Sydney & I went to Chester past 11; dined with Angell; I went to the Sunne with G.Mainwaring; there was Baroby & Gleg; I left them in ½ houer; went with daughters & sister about 4 towards Ruabon; met brother Robinson & cosen Lloyd at Wrexam; called on cosen Powell, saw her sister, &c. there, stayd ½ houer; went to Ruabon, found my sister indifferent well; Cos Loyd supt with us.
2. Wednesday, a Frenchman (from Sir John: Wynne) came to visit us about 11; also cosen Lloyd & his wife & one Mrs Wynne; they dined with us; after dinner came Mrs Vaughan (a kinswoman) & Mr Lloyd of PlaceMadock & Thomas Hughes; they stayd till towards evening; cosen Lloyd & his wife supt with us, then went home.
3. Thursday, I left Ruabon, past 12; called on cosen Powell; did not light; came to Chester about 4; lighted at Angells; there was Doctor, his wife, sister Anne; my sonne & his wife; Streete came thither to us; he, my sonne & I went to Jacksons; the Governor came to us & Sir William Gleg; then Captaine Bub:, another Gentleman, & Bell; I left them presently, went home with my daughters.
4. Friday, I went to the mill & to the mowers; there came 3 men from Manley to enquire for Morgan about the Poll; I made them drink, they stayd not; Cook of Ashton came to teach Roger, he dined with us; Huson, Delves & Thomkinson retorned from Dysert in the evening; the Clark of Tarvyn came for Tythwooll, &c. I made him drink, he stayd not; 5. Satorday, Huson, Delves, & Tomkinson went to Chester about 9; Mainwaring, Bidolph & Baroby came from Peover about one; Mainwaring & my daughter went to Peover in the evening; Bidolph, Baroby & I went to Chester (past 2) we alighted at Jacksons; I went to Angells & Hunt; there was Taylor & Huson with us; we discoursed our businesse; I came past 6 to Jacksons; spoke with Gray, Crosse, &c. below; went up to Bidolph, Baroby, Streete, G.Mainwaring, Jones, Parry, Farington, Warburton, &c. the Governor came to us & 2 or 3 with him; also Colonel St George, an Irish Lord, &c. they stayd not; Bidolph. Baroby & I went back, past 8, came to Peele about 10.
July: 6. Sonday, I was not at church; dined with Baroby, Bidolph, sonne, Morgan,&c. in the evening we heard great shooting at Highlake; & afterwards heard the Cannon at Chester, & saw a great many Bonfires; which made us hope there was good news from Ireland, & that the King had got Dublyn; soe we, & other neighbors made bonfyres.
7. Monday, Baroby & Morgan went away about 6; my sonne went to Chester, about 11; Bidolph took phisick; Angell came to see him, dined with us; Crew's man came after dinner to acquainte us that his mother would be buryed tomorrow;.
8. Tuesday, after dinner, I & Bidolph daughters, &c. went to the funerall of Mrs Crew; there was much company; Mainwaring his wife, &c. retorned from Peover; Lord Warrington & G.Mainwaring came to Peele, supt, & stayd all night.
9. Wednesday, Lord Warrington & Mainwaring went to Northwich about 10; soone after G.Mainwaring went to Chester; about 3 he sent his boy with the news that King James had quit Ireland; I sent John Nixon with it to Mainwaring at Northwich; John Hough dined with us; went before 3; sonne Thomas retorned from Wales; L: Lloyd with him.
10. Thursday, Sir John Morgan, his lady, & one Mr Price, & Bell dined with us; also Angell & Mr Cooper & 2 sons; they went about 6; cosen John Whitley, & his wife, came about 11 at night when I was in bed.
11. Friday, Huson, & Tomkinson went to Shotwick past 9; after dinner Mainwaring & Bidolph went to Utkinton; my sonne, Lloyd & Jack Whitley went also abroad; retorned late.
12. Satorday, Mainwaring, sonne, Lloyd, & Jack Whitley went to Chester; all retorned at night (past 10) but Lloyd, he went home.
13. Sonday, I was not at church; most of the rest were; we had no company.
14. Monday, in the evening Captaine Ely, Traverse, & another came to Mainwaring,&c. I onely saw them; they went away together (I think, to fish) at same time, Jack Whitley, his wife & sister went back to Chester; Huson & Tomkinson retorned late from Lach, whither they went about 11 in the morning.
15. Tuesday, Mainwaring, my sonne & Huson went to Namptwich; after dinner sister Angell went to Chester, soe did Bidolph & I; we went to G.Mainwarings; Wright the minister came to us to discourse about his being Chaplaine to the almeshouse; also Crosse & Cotton ( the smith) came about his lease; then we went to Angells, then to Jacksons; there was Bidolph, G.Mainwaring, Streete, Gleg, Fernagh, Richard Wright, Taylor, Davyes, one or 2 more; then came the Governor & Bell; we parted presently; a Barber trimmed me there; Bidolph, Morgan & I went home together in the coach; it was past 8 (½ houer) before we left Chester; my sonne came late home from Namptwich & Grantham with him.
16. Wednesday, the fast day, Tomkinson went to Staffordshire; I went to church with Bidolph, sonne, Morgan daughters, &c. about one; dined past 4; no company.
17. Thursday, Bidolph went to Elmehurst about 10, & Morgan to Chester; Huson retorned from Namptwich; Jackson came past 1; dined in the buttry; Golding the cook came with his father in law, Wood the carryer, Whitby & another dranck beere & ale; stayd 2 houers; my sonne went a setting, about 5.
Jul: 18. Friday, Huson went to Shrewsbury about the militia horse, soe to Frodesly; Alban Gray came about 12 to speake with me about work at Chester; dined, went past 3; Tomkinson retorned from Staffordshire about 7.
19. Satorday, after dinner daughter Mainwaring went to Utkinton & Peover & I & my sonne to Chester, alighted at Wrights, went to the Angells; thence I went to Booth's; there was Fernaugh & 2 others, they stayd not; I discoursed him about sister Whitley's suites; proposed a reference; left him presently; discoursed awhile with Anderson in the streete; went to the Sunne, there met Viccars, Jones, Parry, Murray, & Deane; Murray's brother came to us & the barber to trimme me; I left them past 6; went to Jackson's; there came to me Crosse, Gray, Farington, Bradshaw; then the Governor & Bell; they drank a glasse of wine & left us presently; after, I & sonne took coach (about 8) went home.
20. Sonday, Traverse dined with us; I went to church in the afternoone; thence with sonne & Traverse to visit Sir John Crew; Cockane came to us; we left them before 7; Traverse supt with us, I went to my chamber at 10.
21. Monday, Alderman Mainwaring's man brought me 2 Irish letters from my sonne; Crosse & Cotton came about sealing Cotton's lease for his house without the Norgate; dined with us; went past 2: daughters & sisters went to Utkinton, retorned at 8; G. Taylor came from Peover with a letter & venison from daughter Mainwaring.
22. Tuesday, Huson came about 7 from Frodesly; went with Tomkinson to Mold faire about 10; my sonne, his wife, children & Sidney went to Chester & Aston past 10; some men came with poll money from Manley (past 11) payed it to Houseman; about 2, Palin & 3 others brought wood from Bechin, they did eate in the buttry, & retorned about 3: 23. Wednesday, Tomkinson retorned from Mold; in the evening Radley came to see me; stayd ½ houer;,&c. in the morning Coles of Lichfeild called for some things for Bidolph, went away in a short tyme.
24. Thursday, about 9, Mr Jenkinson came from Peover in his way to Chester; stayd ½ houer; Tomkinson & Mosse went to Stone faire to buy sheepe; in the evening a man brought a pike & a sword for my servant Castor to muster for Mr Barneston but I would not let him goe; James Kent came from Peover & retorned agen before morning.
25. Friday, some women & a yong man came to see Mary Pemberton; 2 of them dined with us in the Compasse; the rest in the buttry; about 4 Mr Smethers brought me a letter from Sir John Crew; he & his lady were then going to Fawsley; Smethers dranck a glasse of ale & retorned; Mawle came from Frodesly, stayd all night; Huson retorned from Mold.
26. Satorday, (Lee came pay houses?; went to the muster at Tarvyn interl).; I went to Chester, dined at G.Mainwarings with him, his wife & Knox, &c. went to Hunts; there was Tailor & Huson; I went to the almeshouses & to Jacksons; there G.Mainwaring & I dranke 2 bottles of ale at Crosse's; there was Farington, Wright, G.Mainwaring, Fernehaugh, &c. at Jackson's; I went thence past 7; found Lord Warrington, Lee & Mainwaring at home at supper.
27. Sonday, I went to church with Lord Warrington, Lee, &c. the Vicar & Hardwar dined with us; I went not in the afternoone; Kelsall & Drinkwater were with the Lord at Peele.
28. Monday, Lord Warrington, Lee & Mainwaring went to Chester; I went after them; we all [fo. 121v] July: dined with the Governor also Colonel St George, 3 of his officers, Warburton, G.Mainwaring & Streete; past 3, Streete & I left them; went to the almeshouses, then to the Bishop: then to see the new church; then to Jacksons; there was Golding, Browne, Gleg;,&c. I left them about 8, came home, before Warrington.
29. Tuesday, Lord Warington & Lee left Peele; I went to Chester, past 9; Grantham went with me; I went to the Castle, walked awhile in the Hall with the lawyers; when the Court sate (Lord Warrington, Goldsmith, & Mainwaring being on the Bench) I took the Oaths & Test; then went to the coffee house, & Jacksons; saw the Governor & Knox in both places; the Prince of Denmark's gentleman came to me [at] Jacksons; sayd the Prince desired at my House (if we had roome) or as neare as he could to the King, that he would come to Peele next day; I went immediately home, came there neare 2; found the Bishop, Fog, Streete, Warburton, his wife & sister, Mrs Booth & daughter; Dr Angell, &c. at dinner; our Vicar came after me; the Bishop: & his company went about 5, the rest past 6; then came Walley the Goldsmith about Morgan Whitley's money; but being late, sayed he would come agen to morrow; Savage came late to speake with Mainwaring 30. Wednesday, Huson & Jon went to Warrington & Aston to buy a horse & beefe; Cadwallader came with a buck; retorned in the afternoone; the Prince of Denmarks servant & another came to see the house, then went to Mr Hardwar's; soe back to Chester; Walley came when we were at dinner & dined; went away afterwards (& I think the gardner with him) with 400 li for Morgan Whitley; in the evening came Bingly & his sonne (a boy) to visit us; dranck & stayd not; after supper Mainwaring retorned from Chester & Goldsmith with him; they eate cold meate, had a bottle; parted past 11; Syddall & Yong came about selling a cow; I left them with Huson, past 11. Pratchet came from Dedington.
31. Thursday, Savage came to Mainwaring stayd not long; Goldsmith went away early, and Pratchet after dinner, Mainwaring went to Chester & towards Highlake; son Thomas, his wife, children & Sydney retorned that evening from Wales.