An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
61 OCLE PYCHARD (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXVII, S.E.)
Ocle Pychard is a parish 6½ m. N.E. of Hereford. The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. James stands on the E. side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings and some ashlar of the same material; the roofs are tiled. The earliest detail in the Chancel and Nave dates from early in the 14th century but the nave may perhaps be earlier; later in the same century the nave was lengthened towards the W.; the North Vestry was perhaps added at the same time and the West Tower a little later. The church was restored in 1869 and the Organ Chamber, South Porch and spire are modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (24½ ft. by 19½ ft.) has a partly restored early 15th-century E. window of three trefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label. In the N. wall is a modern opening and farther E. a 14th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and modern head. In the S. wall are two early 14th-century windows each of two trefoiled lights; between them is a 14th-century doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred head. The early 14th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of one chamfered order; the responds are square; high in the wall, N. of the arch, is a 15th-century square-headed doorway to the former rood-loft.
The North Vestry has, in the E. wall, an early 14th-century window, probably re-set and of one trefoiled light with an internal stone lintel cut to an ogee form. In the N. wall are a modern window and doorway.
The Nave (56¾ ft. by 19¼ ft.) has straight joints in the side-walls showing the extent of the original building. In the N. wall are three windows, the easternmost of early 14th-century date, partly restored and of two trefoiled lights; the middle window is modern; the mid 14th-century westernmost window is of two trefoiled ogee lights; below the middle window are the jambs of a destroyed N. doorway of uncertain date. In the S. wall are three windows the easternmost of early 14th-century date and of two trefoiled lights; the second window is similar but much restored; the westernmost window is uniform with the corresponding window in the N. wall; the early 14th-century S. doorway has rounded jambs and two-centred head.
The West Tower is ashlar-faced and built on two walls, astride the W. wall. It is of mid to late 14th-century date and of three stages with a modern spire. The ground stage is arched and has chamfered two-centred arches, towards the E. and W., and a doorway within the outer arch of one moulded order; the outer arch has a moulded label. The second stage has a single square-headed light in the E. and W. walls. The bell-chamber has a similar light in the N., S. and W. walls.
Fittings—Bells: three and a sanctus; 1st by John Finch, 1639; 2nd probably from the Worcester foundry, late 14th or early 15th-century, and inscribed "Eternis annis resonet campana Johannis" in Lombardic capitals; 3rd inscribed, in Lombardic capitals, with two names, James More and Tomes Filpot, probably churchwardens, probably 16th-century; sanctus inaccessible. Font: octagonal bowl with hollow-chamfered under-edge, octagonal stem and chamfered base, 15th-century. Monument: In churchyard—S.E. of porch, to Sarah, wife of Henry Caswall, 1710, head-stone. Paintings: In chancel—on soffit of S.W. window, lined masonry-joints in red; in nave—on soffit of S.E. window, similar joints and scrolled vinefoliage, 14th-century. On soffit of doorway to rood-loft, line of jewel-ornament, 16th-century. Piscina: In chancel—in sill of S.E. window, round drain. In nave—below S.E. window, recess with trefoiled head and round drain, early 14th-century. Plate: includes cup (Plate 69) of 1571 with band of engraved ornament.
(2). Livers Ocle, house and outbuilding, nearly 1¼ m. W. of the church, on the site of an alien priory or cell of the Benedictine Abbey of Lire in Normandy. The House is of two storeys; the walls are of stone and brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century and retains two stone chimney-stacks of this date, but the rest of the house has been much altered and re-built. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams, two original doors, one with cock's-head hinges and some mid 17th-century panelling.
The Outbuilding, called the Chapel, S.W. of the house, is of one storey with rubble walls. The doors, windows and roof are modern and there is now no evidence of its original purpose or date.
(3). Hillhampton, house and outbuildings, over ¾ m. N.N.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys, partly timber-framed and partly of rubble and brick; the roofs are tiled. The W. part of the S. range was built in the 16th century but the rest of the range is of mid 17th-century date. The adjoining timber-framed N. range is a late 17th-century addition. The stone S. range has an original chimney-stack at the W. end with three grouped shafts, set diagonally. The N. range has exposed timber-framing. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and one room has a dado of 17th-century panelling.
The Barn, W. of the house, is of the 17th century, timber-framed and with a thatched roof. It has diagonal framing in the gables but has been largely re-built. The Stable, S.W. of the house, is a timber-framed building of early 17th-century date.
(4). Burley Gate Inn, on the N. side of the road, ¾ m. N. of the church, is of two storeys mostly re-faced or re-built in stone; the roofs are slate-covered. It was built late in the 17th century and some original diagonal timber-framing remains in the W. gable. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams.
(5). Ocle Court, 100 yards N. of the church, has been re-built except for the S.E. wing, which is timber-framed, and two roof-trusses which are perhaps of c. 1600.
(6). White House and barn, 300 yards S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of rubble and modern brick and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built late in the 16th century on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the W. end. The N. end of the cross-wing has two original transomed windows of four lights; in the E. wall is a doorway with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head. The W. chimney-stack has two diagonal brick shafts. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams. A doorway in the cross-wing has a moulded two-centred head, of 14th-century date, re-used. In the S. room of the same wing is a 17th-century panelled dado.
The Barn, N.E. of the house, is timber-framed and of 17th-century date.
(7). Monkton, house, nearly 1¼ m. S.W. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with slate-covered roofs. It was built early in the 17th century and has a late 17th-century stone extension on the W. and modern additions on the S. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams.