An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
74 STOKE LACY (C.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXI, S.W., (b)XXVII, N.E., (c)XXVIII, N.W.)
Stoke Lacy is a parish 4 m. S.S.W. of Bromyard. The monuments are unimportant.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul stands in the S. part of the parish. It was entirely re-built in 1863, but incorporates a reconstructed mid 12th-century chancel-arch. This arch is round and of two square orders, the inner springing from attached shafts with moulded bases, scalloped capitals and moulded abaci, continued round the responds.
Fittings—Bells: six; 3rd and 4th by the same founder and inscribed, respectively, "Ave gracia plena Dominus tecum," and "Eternis annis resonet campana Johannis," in Lombardic capitals, late 14th or early 15th century; 5th, probably by John Green II of Worcester, 1625; 6th, probably from the Worcester foundry and inscribed "Virginis egregie vocor campana Marie," in Lombardic capitals, early 15th-century. Churchyard Cross: S. of porch—octagonal to square base, with small pointed niche in W. face, probably 14th-century. Communion Table: with turned legs of column-type, and moulded rails, mid 17th-century. Font: octagonal tapering bowl with moulded upper edge, 13th or 14th-century, base modern. Plate: includes large cup of 1649, with the name and arms of Katherine Cartwright. Screen (Plate 73): between chancel and nave—with central doorway and originally seven bays on each side, close lower panels with traceried heads on N. side only; open upper panels with cusped ogee heads, crockets and tracery, partly cut away on N. side, moulded cornice with scrolled foliage-ornament, late 15th or early 16th-century.
b(2). Homestead Moat at Nether Court, 140 yards S.S.W. of the church. Only two arms remain.
c(3). Homestead Moat at Lower Hopton, 1,100 yards E. of the church, is roughly circular on plan.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of two storeys, timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs. All have exposed external timber-framing and most have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, unless noted.
b(4). Upper Woodend, house, 1,100 yards N.N.W. of the church, was built in the latter part of the 16th century. In the W. wall is a blocked original window of two lights with chamfered frame and mullion. Inside the building are some shaped brackets under the ceiling-beams.
b(5). Hall Place, house, ¾ m. N.N.E. of the church, was built c. 1600 on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the W. end.
b(6). Folly, house, 1,550 yards N.W. of the church, was built early in the 17th century. The barge-boards of the W. gable are moulded and dentilled. Inside the building are some moulded ceiling-beams.
a(7). Newton Farm, house, 1½ m. N.N.E. of the church, is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the S. end. The cross-wing is of late 15th or early 16th-century date and is cross-roofed at the W. end. The other wing is partly of late 16th and partly of early 17th-century date.
a(8). Halfway House, about 2¼ m. N. of the church, was built late in the 17th century and has 18th-century additions. The walls are partly of rubble.