An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. (a)xix. S.E. (b)xx. S.W.)
b(1). Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, stands on rising ground N. of the village. It is built of flint rubble with free-stone dressings; the roofs are covered with slates and lead. The plan of the Nave is probably of the 12th century; North and South Aisles were added c. 1200, while about the same time, or a little later, the Chancel was enlarged to its present size. During the 15th century the South Chapel, the clearstorey of the nave, the West Tower and the South Porch were added, and the S. aisle was probably partly re-built. In 1861 the N. aisle was re-built, a North Vestry and Organ Chamber were added, and the church was much repaired.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (36 ft. by 15 ft.) has a three-light E. window, which retains only a few stones of early 14th-century date, the rest having been replaced by modern stonework; on each side of it are remains of a 13th-century lancet window. On the S. is the 15th-century chapel arcade of three bays with columns of four clustered shafts, and moulded arches. The N. wall and the chancel arch are modern. The South Chapel (32 ft. by 14½ ft.) has an E. window and three S. windows, all original openings of three lights, but with modern tracery. The S. doorway is also much restored. The Nave (64 ft. by 18 ft.) has N. and S. arcades of six bays, of c. 1200, which have two-centred arches of two moulded orders, and circular columns with moulded bases and capitals alternately foliated and scalloped. The clearstorey has three windows on the N. and four on the S., the fourth having a wooden head. The North Aisle (12½ ft. wide) is modern. The South Aisle (13½ ft. wide) has four windows, of which the rear arches and jambs are old. The S. doorway, of the 15th century, is continuously moulded and has a label with grotesque stops. The West Tower (12½ ft. by 12 ft.) is of two stages with an embattled parapet, a lead-covered needle spire and a projecting stair-turret at the N.E. corner. The 15th-century tower arch is four-centred, of two moulded orders with flat jambs. The W. doorway and the window over it are almost completely modern, and the windows of the upper stage, of two trefoiled lights, are much restored. The South Porch (9 ft. by 10½ ft.) is of two stages with a stair-turret at the N.W. corner. A window originally opened from the second stage into the S. aisle, but is now blocked. The whole structure is much restored. The Roof of the S. aisle is of late 15th or early 16th-century date, with moulded ridges, purlins and wall plates, and cambered trusses on corbels carved as angels.
Fittings—Bells: six; 1st and 3rd by Robert Oldfeild, 1636, 4th by John Saunders, mid 16th-century; 5th probably by William Rofforde, mid 14th-century; 6th by Robert Oldfeild, 1638. Brass: in the chancel, of a woman, with hair worn loose, early 15th-century, no inscription. Monument: mural, to Susannah, wife of Sir Jonathan Keate, baronet, 1673; Judith Orlebar, 1690; and Sir Jonathan Keate, 1700. Paintings: on the remaining splay of each lancet window in the chancel, traces, figure of angel visible, 13th-century. Piscina: in S. chapel, early 13th-century, re-set. Plate: includes a cup of 1635. Screens: between chancel and chapel, part of parclose screen, mid 15th-century, with traceried panels, moulded stiles, etc., all much repaired: in the S. chapel, at W. end, rood-screen, with vaulted canopy, 15th-century, much restored. Seating: in the chancel, six poppy-head bench-ends, 15th-century, one much restored.
Condition—Good; much restored.
a(2–3). Tallents or Terence Farm, 1¼ miles W.S.W., and Rameridge, 1½ miles W. of the church, are farmhouses built c. 1600, but much altered in the 18th and 19th centuries, and now practically modern. A few old chamfered beams and some fragments of panelling remain.
Condition—Fairly good, much altered.
a(4). Stoneheaps Farm, ¾ mile S.W. of the church, is a two-storeyed building of early 17th-century date. The walls are of plastered timber and brick; the roof is tiled. The house is of the central chimney type, enlarged by the addition of a parlour beyond the hall on the W., a second chimney stack, and, N. of the kitchen, a small wing, making the plan L-shaped. The small wing is possibly a later addition, but the rest is of one date. The S. Elevation has three symmetrically placed bay windows of slight projection, with overhanging gables on moulded bressumers and carved brackets; the gables have moulded and denticulated verges. The wide fireplaces of the parlour and kitchen remain, and one of them has a heavy moulded beam over it.
b(5). Kimpton Hall, a farmhouse ½ mile S.S.W. of the church, was built about the same date as Tallents Farm and Rameridge, but, as in their case, retains little original detail.
Condition—Fairly good; much altered.
b(6). Kimpton Mill Farm, 1¼ miles E. of the church, is also of the 17th century, much altered, the original timber-framed walls having been re-faced with modern brick.
Condition—Fairly good; completely altered.
b(7). Houses, in the main street of the village, a number of 17th-century buildings, all much altered. On the N. side:—The Two Brewers Inn, is a two-storeyed house of plastered timber and brick; the roof is tiled. It was largely re-built in the 19th century, but at the W. end of the street front is an original gable, showing the constructional timbers. Cottage, near 'The Two Brewers', is of two storeys, built of brick; the roof is tiled. It has been partly re-built, but the windows retain some original casements. Cottages, further W., several in one range, set back from the road, are of two storeys, built of brick and plastered timber; the roof is tiled. The street front is gabled and the upper storey has original dormer windows. Almost all the other windows were altered in the 18th century. The Goat Inn, on the S. side of the street, is a small building of two storeys, the lower storey of brick and the upper plastered; the roof is tiled.