An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
127. STOCKING PELHAM.
(O.S. 6 in. xiv. N.E.)
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary, stands in open country, about 5 miles N.W. by N. of Bishop's Stortford. It is built of flint, with oolite dressings; the chancel roof is tiled and the nave roof slated. The N. walls of the Chancel and Nave are in one plane, although that of the nave appears to be of earlier date; the earliest details which remain point to a chancel and nave of equal width existing c. 1360. Late in the 14th or early in the 15th century the nave was widened towards the S., probably by the addition of a narrow aisle, with a wooden arcade which has now disappeared. Nothing of the subsequent history of the church is apparent until the 19th century. In 1864 the E. wall and the eastern part of the S. wall of the chancel were re-built in brick.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25 ft. by 15½ ft.) has a modern E. window of three lights with tracery. In the N. wall is a small, pointed doorway, with moulded jambs of clunch; the rear arch is on the outside and has either served as the entrance to a former vestry or has been re-set and reversed at some period; in the same wall is a mid 14th-century window of one light, with moulded jambs and pointed head; the label and sill outside are modern. In the S. wall is a small doorway, now blocked, and not visible in the cemented face outside, and a 14th-century window of two lights, under a square head; the outer jambs of the window are much perished; the label is of cement. The chancel arch has been replaced by a modern arch and partition of wood. The Nave (35 ft. by 23 ft.) has a N. window of two lights under a traceried, pointed head of c. 1360, partly restored. The 14th-century N. doorway is blocked; it has moulded jambs and a pointed arch of clunch; only the head and part of the E. jamb are original, the rest, with the label, is modern. In the S. wall are two modern windows of 14th-century character, and a modern doorway. The W. window has modern tracery, but the sill and rear arch are old, possibly of late 14th-century date. The Roofs are gabled and have plastered ceilings. Over the W. end is a small wood bell-turret, partly carried on framework from the floor of the nave.
Fittings—Bell: inscribed, 'Vicencius Reboat ut Cuncta Noxia Tollat' possibly by William Founder, early 15th-century. Brass and Indents: in the nave, slab with brass shield, a merchant's mark upon it, said to be the mark of the Hudlestones, probably 16th-century, and indent of inscription: under the seats on S. side, slab with indent of half-figure of priest. Glass: in S. window of chancel, a few fragments, 14th and 15th-century. Piscina: in S. wall of nave, 14th-century.
Condition—Generally good; ivy on the S. wall of the chancel may do damage; the jambs of the S. window of the chancel are much perished.
(2) N.E. of the church, fragment.
(3) Surrounding the rectory, a stirrup-shaped moat.