BHO

Whinfell

Page 243

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.

Citation:

In this section

108 WHINFELL (D.e.)

(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXVIII, S.W., (b)XXXIV, N.W., (c)XXXIV, S.W.)

Whinfell is a parish 6 m. N.E. of Kendal.

Secular

Monuments (1–13)

The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys. The walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.

Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.

c(1). Borrans, house on the S.E. side of Whinfell Tarn, contains an original panelled door.

b(2). Hyning, house (Plate 22) on the W. side of Whinfell Tarn, retains an original window with solid oak frame and mullions. Inside the building is a muntin and plank partition of the local type and a three-stage cupboard, with carved upper panels, pendants and fascia with the initials and date C.H. 1665.

b(3). Crook, house on the N.W. side of Whinfell Tarn, retains its original nail-studded door.

Condition—Derelict.

b(4). Howestone, house ¼ m. N. of (3), also retains its original nail-studded door.

b(5). Toptborn, house 270 yards W. of (4), was altered in 1716, the date on some internal plaster ornament. The front door has ornamental strap-hinges. The E. extension dates from 1758.

b(6). Stone Hall, 550 yards N.E. of Whinfell Tarn, was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.

b(7). Cockin, house 1,080 yards N.E. of (6), retains two original doors of moulded battens.

b(8). Agnes Gill, house about ¼ m. N.W. of (7), has later extensions at both ends. The upper part of the staircase incorporates two heavy turned balusters.

b(9). Guestford, house 1,170 yards N. of Whinfell Tarn, contains a two-stage cupboard with the initials and date, R.S.I. 1692.

b(10). Rossill Bridge Farm, house 700 yards N.W. of (9).

b(11). Harewood, house 570 yards N.E. of (10).

a(12). Grisedale, house 1 m. N. of (10), incorporates an early 16th-century moulded beam, re-used as the bressummer of a fireplace-recess.

a(13). Ashstead, house 1,020 yards N. of (12).