An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
111 WINTON (G.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXIII, N.W., (b)XXIII, N.E.)
Winton is a parish and village on the border of the county, 1½ m. N.E. of Kirkby Stephen.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
b(1). Winton Hall, towards the E. end of the village, has 18th-century additions on the S. side. In the N. wall is an original window of five transomed lights with a moulded label; there is a second window of two lights. Over the round-headed doorway of the porch on the S. side, are the initials and date R. and M.B. (?) 1665 A. and E.S.
b(2). School House, on the S. side of the road 160 yards W.N.W. of (1), was re-built in 1862. It incorporates, from the earlier building of 1659, three stones with the names R. Adamson, (R.) Spenceley; Io. Shutt and I. Bracken; Robert and Arthur Scaife, presumably contributors to the building.
b(3). House, two tenements, 20 yards W. of (2), retains many of its original stone-mullioned windows with labels, including one of three transomed lights. A doorway, on the N. side, has an enriched lintel with a fleur-de-lis; over an adjoining window is a stone carved with a pentangle. On the N. end of the cross-wing are the initials W.M. On the E. side is a square panel with a geometrical device. Inside the building is some original panelling and a door with an enriched upper panel.
b(4). Cottage, 300 yards W. of (3), retains one original window and over the doorway is a panel carved with a pentangle.
b(5). House, on the N. side of the road 320 yards W.N.W. of (1), has been much altered. On the S. front is a re-set stone inscribed "R. and B.E. 1681 To all the dwelers in this place God grant peace hapines and grace." Inside the building is an original panelled partition and a door with the initials and date R. and B.E. 1694.
b(6). House, 220 yards E. of (5), retains two original windows.
a(7). Skelcies, house nearly 1¼ m. N.W. of (1), retains an original doorway with moulded jambs and a lintel inscribed with three texts and the initials and date C. and D.H. 1694 M. and D.H. An outbuilding, N.W. of the house, has a doorway with the initials and date M.R. 16—.