Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XXII.—NAYLOR'S COTTAGES, Nos. 1 to 4 HAMPSHIRE HOG LANE
The freeholder is A. M. Naylor, Esq.
General description and date of structure.
The four cottages in Hampshire Hog Lane at the northern end of the grounds of Hampshire House were erected on a portion of a long narrow field purchased by Samuel Naylor from William Falkner (fn. 1) in 1776; in the deed of purchase in the possession of the owner the field is described as abutting at the south end on premises of Mr. Carter, (fn. 2) and, west, on premises in the occupation of Mrs. Nicholls, which latter would seem to coincide with the "little grass field" referred to in the historical notes relating to Nos. 22 and 24 Upper Mall (see p. 69). There is no indication of any building on the plan attached to this deed, but, from various details in the easternmost cottage, we may conclude that it is part of an earlier structure. The upper storey overhangs a considerable distance, and beneath it is an original window with broad flush frame and a sash with heavy glazing bars. There is a timber gable at the back and the roofs are covered with pantiles. The remainder dates from the latter part of the 18th century, and does not contain any features deserving of special record. The greater portion of the field on which the cottages were built has been incorporated in the gardens of Hampshire House.
The lane derives its name from the Hampshire Hog Inn, which stands at the eastern corner of its junction with the High Road. It runs practically the whole way between walls of ancient brickwork, and with the immediate neighbourhood of the Creek and the Highbridge to which it leads, preserves more completely than any other part the atmosphere of a Hammersmith which now belongs to the past.