Survey of London: Volume 8, Shoreditch. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XLVIII.—No. 196 SHOREDITCH HIGH STREET.
The freehold belongs to Messrs. Hoare and Co., and the occupier is Mr. F. W. Rehm.
Description and date of structure.
These are four-storey brick premises, known as The White Swan Hotel. Internally they are devoid of interest.
The front of an old lead cistern (Plate 87) originally belonging to these premises is now deposited at the Shoreditch Technical Institute. Its centre is occupied by interlacing moulded ribs around a middle panel which bears the inscription E. E. H. surrounded by various figures, which are repeated with the date 1693 on the remainder of the face. Clusters of conventional foliage fill the four corners.
Condition of repair.
In the Council's collection is:—
(fn. 1) Front of lead cistern (photograph).