A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Aighton, with Bailey and Chaigley
AIGHTON, with Bailey and Chaigley, a township, in the parish of Mitton, union of Clitheroe, Lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Clitheroe; containing 1795 inhabitants. Aighton, under the name of Halghton, was granted by Ilbert de Lacy, prior to 1102, with other lands, to a family who is supposed to have taken the surname of Mitton. The hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem had lands in Aiton in the 20th of Edward I. The three hamlets of Aighton, Bailey, and Chaigley, meet on the north and south summit of the eastern side of the crescent of Longridge Fell. Aighton occupies the east-south-east brow, whence it gradually recedes by a gentle decline into a finely wooded country, watered by the Hodder and the Ribble. It is remarkable as the seat of the Roman Catholic College of Stonyhurst. The heads of the college having been driven from their establishment at Liege by the proscriptions of the French revolution, were induced, in consequence of the mitigation of the penal enactments in this country against Roman Catholic seminaries, to seek an asylum here. In 1794 a long lease was obtained of the mansion of Stonyhurst, the ancient seat of the Sherburne family, and of the farm, on moderate terms, from the late Thomas Weld, Esq.; and at great expense, a large and handsome new building was added to the house. The whole now comprises, a hall of study, seven class-rooms, a library, museum, room for philosophical apparatus, exhibition-room, music-room, drawing-room, recreation-hall, chambers for the president and directors, apartments for the professors and teachers, and, in the upper stories, dormitories for the students, &c.: the public rooms in the new building, which is 300 feet in length, as well as those in the old mansion, are on a noble scale. The area of the college, the play-grounds, and the gardens, occupy upwards of ten acres; and the stately pile, with its towers and park-like grounds, forms a magnificent object to the whole of the surrounding country. On the south angle of the front of the college, is a handsome chapel dedicated to St. Peter, of which the first stone was laid in 1832.
AIKE, a township, partly in the parish of St. John, borough of Beverley, but chiefly in that of Lockington, union of Beverley, Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 7 miles (N. by E.) from the town of Beverley; containing 98 inhabitants. This place comprises about 630 acres, of which upwards of 200 are in the parish of St. John: it was formerly an island, but by means of draining has been connected with the surrounding country, although it is still low and swampy. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, under an inclosure act passed in 1771.
Aikton (St. Andrew)
AIKTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Wigton, Cumberland ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Wigton; comprising the townships of Aikton, Biglands with Gamblesby, Wampool, and Wiggonby; and containing 802 inhabitants, of whom 318 are in the township of Aikton. The parish comprises 5491 acres, of which 160 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 13. 1½.; net income, £546; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. A school has been endowed by Margaret Hodgson, with houses and land valued at £150 per annum, and is free to the poor of Aikton, Burgh-uponSands, and Beaumont, and to all persons of the founder's name.
Aikton, county of York.—See Ackton.
AIKTON, county of York.—See Ackton.
AILBY, a hamlet, in the parish of Rigsby, Wold division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln; containing 53 inhabitants.
AILESWORTH, a hamlet, in the parish of Castor, union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2¾ miles (E. by S.) from Wansford; containing 363 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Wansford to Peterborough.
Ainderby-myers, with Holtby
AINDERBY-MYERS, with Holtby, a township, in the parish of Hornby, union of Bedale, wapentake of Hang-East, N. riding of York, 3¼ miles (S. by E.) from Catterick; containing 82 inhabitants. It is situated in the vale of a rivulet, and comprises about 879 acres of land. Holtby Hall is a handsome mansion, seated in a pleasant park, on the west side of LeemingLane.
AINDERBY-QUERNHOW, a township, in the parish of Pickhill, union of Thirsk, wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding of York, 5¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Thirsk; containing 92 inhabitants. This place derives the adjunct to its name from the querns, or millstones, obtained from the how or hill in the parish: it comprises an area of 527a. 18p. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £150, payable to Trinity College, Cambridge.
Ainderby-Steeple (St. Helen)
AINDERBY-STEEPLE (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Northallerton, wapentake of GillingEast, N. riding of York; containing 760 inhabitants, of whom 262 are in the township of Ainderby-Steeple, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Northallerton. The parish comprises the townships of Ainderby-Steeple, Morton, Thrintoft, and Warlaby, and consists by measurement of 4599 acres; Ainderby-Steeple extends over 1129 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and has a net income of £200; the patronage and impropriation are vested in the Crown. The church is a handsome structure, on a bold eminence, and from its lofty tower, which may be seen at the distance of 30 miles, the place derives the affix of Steeple.
Ainstable, with Ruckroft (St. Michael)
AINSTABLE, with Ruckroft (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4½ miles (N. N. W.) from KirkOswald, and 10 miles (N. by E.) from Penrith; comprising 4177a. 18p., and containing 501 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the west by the river Eden, and on the east and south by the Croglin, abounds with beautiful scenery, particularly in the vale of Croglin, and in the vicinity of Nunnery, the seat of Major Aglionby, who has erected a spacious and elegant mansion on the site of a Benedictine convent founded here by William II., the revenue of which at the Dissolution was £18. 18. 8. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 8. 2.; net income, £225; patron and impropriator, Major Aglionby. The vicarial tithes and all moduses were commuted for land under an inclosure act in 1818. The nave of the church was rebuilt in 1816, and the chancel soon afterwards. Near the parsonage-house is a chalybeate spring. John Leake, M.D., founder of the Westminster Lying-in Hospital, and author of some esteemed medical works, was born here, in 1729.
Ainsworth, or Cockey-Moor
AINSWORTH, or Cockey-Moor, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Middleton, union of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles (E. by N.) from Bolton, on the road to Bury; containing 1598 inhabitants. The family of Aynesworth, located here, was of considerable antiquity, and is mentioned in the reigns of Edward III. and Richard II., at which latter time John de Aynesworth was of Pleasington, in Blackburn parish. The lordship passed to the Asshetons of Middleton, at what period does not appear; but by the marriage of the younger coheiress of that family, it became the property of the Earl of Wilton, in whose grandson, the present earl, it is now vested. The township comprises by measurement about 1200 acres: the population is chiefly employed in two large cotton-mills and some bleach-works, in calico-printing, and in collieries and extensive stonequarries. The village is called Cockey-Moor, and this name is better known than the name of the township. There is a station of the Bury and Bolton railway. Ainsworth Hall has been modernised, and now possesses few traces of antiquity. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Rector of Middleton. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £48; the glebe belonging to the perpetual curate consists of 55 acres, with a house. The church was formerly surrounded by a moat, and stood in the centre of a common; it was rebuilt in 1832, in the early English style, has a square tower, and, standing on an eminence, is seen at a great distance. There is a neat place of worship for English Presbyterians, built in 1715, enlarged in 1773, and altered in 1845; it has a considerable endowment, with a residence for the minister or curator: the present curator is the Rev. James Whitehead, who succeeded his father-in-law, the Rev. Joseph Bealey. Near the church are excellent national schools. The late Sir Ralph Assheton, Bart., gave a piece of ground and a house, now valued at about £15 a year, for the maintenance of a schoolmaster. Roman coins have been found.
AINTREE, a township, in the parish of Sefton, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Liverpool; containing, in 1846, about 430 inhabitants. William of Aintree, in the reign of Henry III., left a daughter and heiress, Alice, who married into the Maghull family; and an heiress of the latter, Joanna, married into the family of Molyneux, who thus became proprietors of this place. The township lies on the road from Liverpool to Ormskirk, and the Liverpool race-course is within its limits. The tithes have been commuted for £135.
AIRTON, a township, in the parish of Kirby-inMalham-Dale, union of Settle, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 6½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Settle; containing 217 inhabitants. This place, which comprises by computation 2790 acres of rich grazing land, derives its name from the river Aire, on which it is situated, and which takes its rise in Malham Tarn, a few miles above the village. The population is chiefly agricultural, but some of the inhabitants find employment in a cottonmill. The land is divided among several owners: among former proprietors were the monks of Bolton, Fountains, and Nostell Priory. There are places of worship for Methodists and Quakers, the latter built in 1700. Alice Ellis, in 1709, left a house and 29 acres of land for apprenticing children.
AISBY, a hamlet, in the parish of Haydor, union of Grantham, wapentake of Aswardhurn, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln; containing 190 inhabitants.
AISBY, a hamlet, in the parish and wapentake of Corringham, union of Gainsborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln; containing 63 inhabitants.
Aisholt, or Asholt (All Saints)
AISHOLT, or Asholt (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Bridgwater, hundred of Cannington, W. division of Somerset, 7¼ miles (W. by S.) from Bridgwater; containing 201 inhabitants, and comprising 1252 acres, of which 240 are common or waste. Limestone is quarried, and used for agricultural purposes. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 3½.; net income, £280; patrons, the family of West: the glebe consists of 60 acres, and there is a good glebehouse.
AISKEW, a township, in the parish and union of Bedale, wapentake of Hang-East, N. riding of York, ½ mile (N. E.) from Bedale; containing 658 inhabitants. This place, which is pleasantly situated on the north side of the Bedale beck, comprises by computation 1950a. 2r. 9p. There are two places of worship for Anabaptists, and one for Roman Catholics. Near Leases Hall, a neat mansion, with pleasant grounds, is Cloven hill, the supposed site of a battle, and where human bones have often been found.
AISLABY, a township, in the parish of Eaglescliffe, union of Stockton, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 1¼ mile (W. by N.) from Yarm; containing 128 inhabitants. There was anciently a chapel dedicated to St. Thomas the Martyr, which was founded by William de Aslakby (now Aislaby) and Agnes his wife, in 1313; and the place was for several generations the residence of the family of Pemberton, whose mansion has been converted into an inn and several other tenements. The township is pleasantly situated on the northern bank of the Tees, by which it is separated from Yorkshire.
Aislaby, or Aysleyby
AISLABY, or Aysleyby, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Whitby, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Whitby; containing 346 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1080 acres, abounding in the most picturesque scenery, interspersed with several neat mansions: in the neighbourhood are numerous quarries of excellent stone, wrought for various purposes, and shipped from Whitby. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mrs. R. Boulby, with a net income of £87: the chapel is dedicated to St. Margaret. About a mile from the village is a fine spring called St. Kilda's well, which runs directly into the river Esk, two miles from its source.
AISLABY, a township, in the parish of Middleton, union, and W. division of the lythe, of Pickering, N. riding of York, 1½ mile (W. N. W.) from Pickering; containing 128 inhabitants. This place is on the road from Pickering to Helmsley; the surface is undulated, and the scenery pleasingly varied; there are quarries of sandstone for building, and limestone. Aislaby Hall is finely situated.
Aismunderby, with Bondgate
AISMUNDERBY, with Bondgate, a township, in the parish and liberty of Ripon, W. riding of York; containing 614 inhabitants. It adjoins Ripon on the south, is partly within that borough, and comprises 1055 acres, whereof 25 are common or waste: in the immediate vicinity are several handsome villas, and a little to the south lies the hamlet of Quarry Moor, noted for its lime-works. The tithes have been commuted for £24 payable to impropriators, and £38 to the Dean and Chapter of Ripon.—See Bondgate.
Aisthorpe (St. Peter)
AISTHORPE (St. Peter), a parish, in the wapentake of Lawress, parts of Lindsey, union and county of Lincoln, 6 miles (W. N. W.) from the city of Lincoln; containing 82 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 807 acres, and is intersected by the road from Lincoln to Barton. Stone is quarried for building purposes, and for making roads. The living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of West Thorpe annexed, valued in the king's books at £4. 10.; net income, £289; patrons, the Milnes family: the glebe consists of an acre and a half, with a cottage. The church is a plain edifice, erected about 45 years since, and consists of a nave, chancel, and tower.
AKEBAR, a township, in the parish of Fingall, union of Leyburn, wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from Middleham; containing 30 inhabitants. It is on an acclivity opposite to Fingall, and comprises an area of 760 acres.
AKELD, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Newton, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Wooler; containing 182 inhabitants. It comprises 2362 acres, of which 1300 are arable, 100 plantation, and the remainder pasture. The surface is mountainous in the southern portion, but level on the north-east; the soil is various, and the scenery pleasing: whinstone is obtained in abundance. The village is situated near the river Glen, which runs through the township; and on the road from Wooler to Kirk-Newton. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £56, and the impropriate for £1. 13. Vestiges of a burial-place are discernible, but there are no traces of any place of worship. On a hill, which ranges three miles in length, is a Roman camp, two inner walls of which are very perfect: a Roman brass bowl was found at Milfield Place, in the township, in 1842.
Akely (St. James)
AKELY (St. James), a parish, in the union, hundred, and county of Buckingham, 2½ miles (N. by E.) from the town of Buckingham; containing 362 inhabitants. This parish, according to a survey made in 1794, when the common was inclosed, comprises 1232a. 1r. 26p.; the soil is a stiff clay, with the exception of some light land in that part which formed the common. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 4.; net income, £245; patrons, the Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford. There was formerly a chapel of ease at Stockholt, in the parish.
Akenham (St. Mary)
AKENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, E. division of Suffolk, 4½ miles (N. by W.) from Ipswich; containing 117 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory united to that of Claydon, valued in the king's books at £9. 11. 5½.: the tithes of the parish have been commuted for £260, and there are 20 acres of glebe.