A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Ludborough (St. Mary)
LUDBOROUGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Louth, wapentake of Ludborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Louth; containing 321 inhabitants. It is situated on the road between Grimsby and Louth. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 19. 4½.; net income, £388; patron, R. Thorold, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1774; the glebe altogether contains between 300 and 400 acres, with a house. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
LUDDENDEN, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 4½ miles (W. by N.) from Halifax. It comprises the township of Midgley, and the upper portion of that of Warley; the surface is boldly varied, rising into hills of lofty elevation, commanding extensive views, and the scenery is marked with features of rugged grandeur: stone of excellent quality is extensively quarried. The inhabitants are principally employed in various cotton, woollen, worsted, paper, and corn mills; and the Rochdale canal and the Leeds and Manchester railway, which latter runs past Luddenden-Foot parallel with the canal, afford facilities of conveyance. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, and rebuilt in 1821, at an expense of £3000, raised by subscription, is beautifully situated in a sequestered and romantic dell; it is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower crowned by pinnacles, and contains 1000 sittings. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Halifax; net income, £150, with a parsonagehouse, built in 1841. There are places of worship for Independents, and Wesleyans of the Old and New Connexion. The Rev. Dr. Watkinson, curate, in 1752 bequeathed a house and several cottages in Leeds, and six cottages in Hunslet, all now producing £30 per annum, for distribution in bread to poor widows; he also presented a complete service of communion-plate of massive silver.
Luddenham (St. Mary)
LUDDENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Faversham, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Faversham; containing 235 inhabitants. It consists of 1323 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 8. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £385. 4., and the glebe contains about 2 acres. The church is in the early English style.
Luddesdown (St. Peter and St. Paul)
LUDDESDOWN (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of North Aylesford, hundred of Toltingtrough, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of the county of Kent, 5½ miles (W. by S.) from Rochester; containing 275 inhabitants. It comprises 1983 acres, of which 634 are in wood. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 11. 3.; net income, £330; patron, J. A. Wigan, Esq.
Luddington (St. Oswald)
LUDDINGTON (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of Goole, W. division of the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from Crowle; containing, with the tything of Garthorpe, 982 inhabitants. The living consists of a rectory and a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £382; patrons, the family of Lister. The tithes were commuted for land and annual money payments in the year 1796. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
LUDDINGTON, a township, in the parish of Old Stratford, union of Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 3½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Stratford; containing 122 inhabitants, and comprising 1071 acres. The river Avon runs through the township. Here was a chapel, of which the ruins are still visible.
Luddington-in-the-Brook (St. Andrew)
LUDDINGTON-in-the-Brook (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Oundle, partly in the hundred of Leightonstone, county of Huntingdon, but chiefly in that of Polebrook, N. division of the county of Northampton, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from Oundle; containing 139 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 1026 acres, of which 620 are in Northamptonshire. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 8. 9., and in the gift of the family of Montagu: the tithes, with certain exceptions, were commuted for land in 1807; the glebe altogether contains 200 acres, valued at about £245 per annum.
LUDFORD, a parish, in the parliamentary borough and poor-law union of Ludlow, partly in the hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, but chiefly in that of Munslow, S. division of Salop; containing 300 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1700 acres, of which 536 are in Herefordshire: the river Teme, which is crossed by an ancient bridge, forms the boundary line between the two counties, and separates the parish from Ludlow. Greywacke stone is quarried. The monastery of St. John, belonging to the abbey of Gloucester, stood on the site, and forms part, of the present Ludford House. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Francis Charlton, Esq.; net income, £105. The church is supposed to have been built in the reign of Henry I.; it contains numerous monuments to the Charlton family. An hospital for six persons was founded in 1672, by Sir Job Charlton, who endowed it with lands now let for £63 per annum; it was incorporated, and had a common seal, but the distinction has long ceased to exist. During the Protectorate, Fox, the parliamentary general, seized the estate of Ludford Park, and resided at the mansion.—See Ludlow.
Ludford Magna (St. Peter)
LUDFORD MAGNA (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Louth, E. division of the wapentake of Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 6½ miles (E.) from Market-Rasen; containing 367 inhabitants. This parish, with Ludford Parva, comprises 3750 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 18. 4.; net income, £189; patron and impropriator, G. F. Heneage, Esq. The glebe contains 40 acres. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Roman coins have been discovered in the neighbourhood.
Ludford Parva (St. Peter)
LUDFORD PARVA (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Louth, E. division of the wapentake of Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 6¼ miles (E.) from the town of Market-Rasen; containing 303 inhabitants. The living is a sinecure rectory; net income, £119; patron, Ayscoghe Boucherett, Esq. The church has been demolished.
Ludgershall (St. Mary)
LUDGERSHALL (St. Mary), with Tetchwych, a parish, in the poor-law union of Aylesbury, hundred of Ashendon, county of Buckingham, 1½ mile (N. by W.) from Brill; containing, with the hamlet of Kingswood, 566 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 16. 8.; net income, £259; patron, the Rev. Thomas Martyn. Here was an alien priory, a cell to the great hospital of Santingfield, in Picardy, and which, at the suppression, was given to King's College, Cambridge.
Ludgershall (St. James)
LUDGERSHALL (St. James), a parish, and formerly a representative borough and a market-town, in the union of Andover, hundred of Amesbury, Everley and Pewsey, and S. divisions of Wilts, 7½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Andover, and 71 (W. S. W.) from London; containing 554 inhabitants. This place, once called Lurgeshall, and Lutgashall, was of considerable extent, and is supposed to have been the residence of some of the Anglo-Saxon kings. A castle existed soon after the Norman Conquest, in which, about 1141, the Empress Matilda took refuge, in her flight from Winchester towards the castle of Devizes. No mention of the fortress occurring subsequently to the reign of Henry III., it is believed to have been dismantled shortly after that period, for the purpose of curtailing the power of the barons; but there are still some slight vestiges in a farmyard in the vicinity. The town, which is small, occupies a delightful situation on the verge of the county. The market, on Wednesday, has long been disused; there is a small pleasure-fair on July 25th. Ludgershall, which is a borough by prescription, sent representatives to all the parliaments of Edward I., to three of Edward II., and to three of Edward III.; between the 9th of Richard II. and the 9th of Henry V. no return was made, but from the latter period the returns were regular, until the 2nd of William IV., when the town was totally disfranchised. A bailiff is appointed at the court leet held by the steward of the manor on Michaelmas-day, when two constables are also chosen. The parish is situated on the road from Devizes to Andover, and comprises by measurement 1771 acres, of which 50 are coppice-wood: the soil is chalky in some parts, and in others a strong red loam; the surface is boldly undulated, rising in some parts into hills of moderate elevation. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 6. 8.; net income, £274; patron, Sir Sandford Graham, Bart. The church is in the early English style, and contains some very ancient monuments. There is a place of worship for Baptists. The poor have the benefit of an estate producing £20 per annum. A few years since, the great seal of England used in the reign of Stephen was found in the vicinity.
Ludgvan (St. Paul)
LUDGVAN (St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Penzance, W. division of the hundred of Penwith and of the county of Cornwall, 1½ mile (N. N. W.) from Marazion; containing 3190 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the shore of Mount's bay in the English Channel, and is intersected by the road between Penzance and Truro; it comprises 4544 acres, of which 1204 are common or waste. A kind of granite, peculiar to the locality, is quarried for building and for repairing the roads. A fair is held in October. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £30. 11. 0½., and in the gift of Lord Bolton: the tithes have been commuted for £808, and the glebe contains 38½ acres, with a house. The church, which is ancient, has a Norman arch over the south entrance, and was enlarged in 1840 by the erection of an aisle; the tower is handsome, and forms a good landmark at sea. In the churchyard is an old cross. The Baptists, and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, have places of worship; and a national school is supported. Remains are still to be seen of an earthwork thrown across the road leading to Marazion, by the parliamentarians engaged in the siege of St. Michael's Mount. There are also some remains of Castleandinas, an ancient fortification, the diameter of which is 400 feet from east to west, and the principal ditch 60 feet wide; it occupies the summit of the highest hill in this part of the county, and commands fine views of the sea. At Collurian are the remains of a chapel dedicated to St. Thomas; and on the same estate is a chalybeate spring. A Roman patera was found some years since on the glebe. Dr. Borlase, the learned antiquary, and historian of Cornwall, was rector of the parish for nearly fifty-two years, and was buried in the chancel of the church in 1772; Sir Humphry Davy, late president of the Royal Society, resided in the parish in early life.
Ludham (St. Catherine)
LUDHAM (St. Catherine), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Happing, E. division of Norfolk, 13 miles (N. E. by E.) from Norwich; containing 924 inhabitants. This place, after the dissolution of the abbey of St. Bennet at the Holme, to which the manor belonged, was given by Henry VIII. to the bishops of Norwich, who made the grange their residence. An accidental fire broke out on the 10th of August, 1611, and destroyed the greater part of the house, with many valuable books and manuscripts relating to the see; but the palace was restored and considerably enlarged by Bishop Harsnet, who built a chapel of brick, which, after the desertion of the place as an episcopal residence, was converted into a granary, and the main edifice into a farmhouse, now called Ludham Hall. The parish is bounded by the rivers Bure and Thurne, and comprises 2977 acres, of which 1913 are arable, 959 pasture, and 40 woodland. The village had formerly a market and a fair, granted to Bishop Redman in the reign of Elizabeth; the market is discontinued, but the fair is held on the Thursday and Friday after Trinity, chiefly for pleasure. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; patron and appropriator, the Bishop. The great tithes have been commuted for £640, and the vicarial for £300; the vicar's glebe is 31 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; the chancel is divided from the nave by a richly-carved screen, and the font is elaborately sculptured. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. The poor have three allotments, awarded at the inclosure of the parish in the year 1802, and comprising altogether 125 acres. One of these, consisting of about 80 acres, is a wet marsh, abounding in reeds, but let for as much as £70 a year; another, containing 11½ acres, produces about £12, and the remainder of the land is let to a few poor people who pasture cattle upon it at the charge of £1 a year per head: turf and rushes, also, are cut on this allotment. The rents are distributed in coal; together with £12 per annum, arising from 8½ acres awarded at the inclosure in lieu of some land left by Phillippo Haddon and other donors; and 50s. a year, the interest of £50, derived from the sale of the "town-house" in 1790. A national school was built in 1841.
Ludlow (St. Lawrence)
LUDLOW (St. Lawrence), a borough, markettown, and parish, having separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 29 miles (S. by E.) from Shrewsbury, and 142 (N. W. by W.) from London; containing 5064 inhabitants. This place, called by the Britons Dinam, or "the palace of princes," and by the Saxons Leadlowe, and Ludlowe, appears to have been distinguished for its importance prior to the Norman Conquest, when Robert de Montgomery, kinsman of the Conqueror, fortified the town with walls, and erected the greater part of its stately castle, which was his baronial residence till his death in 1094. On the attainder of his son, Robert de Montgomery, the castle came into the possession of Henry I., who made it a royal residence, greatly enlarged and embellished it, and, having strengthened the fortifications, placed a powerful garrison here, under the command of Gervase Paganell. This leader, in the following reign, having embraced the cause of Matilda, held the castle for a considerable time against the forces of Stephen, by whom it was besieged in person, assisted by Henry, son of the king of Scotland, who, being drawn up from his horse by an iron hook, was rescued from incarceration by the courage and address of the English monarch.
From its proximity to Wales, Ludlow was always a station of importance, and a strong garrison was constantly kept up in the castle, for the defence of the frontier from the incursions of the Welsh. In the reign of Henry III., an order was issued from the castle for all the lords marchers to repair to this place, attended by their followers, to assist Roger Mortimer, at that time governor, in restraining the hostilities of the Welsh. In the 47th of the same reign, Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, who had joined the confederated barons, assisted by Llewelyn, Prince of Wales, attacked the castle with their united forces, and having set fire to it, nearly demolished it. In the reign of Edward II., Roger Mortimer, a descendant of the former governor, having joined the discontented barons, was sent prisoner to the Tower of London: he contrived, however, to effect his escape, and, in commemoration of his success, erected a chapel in the outer ward of Ludlow Castle, which he dedicated to St. Peter, and endowed for a priest to celebrate mass; but being arraigned for high treason in the reign of Edward III., he was publicly executed at Tyburn. In the reign of Henry VI., Richard, Duke of York, who then had possession of the castle, detained John Sutton, Lord Dudley, Reginald, Abbot of Glastonbury, and others, in confinement here; and issued from this place his declaration of allegiance to the king, which he repeated some years after, on the defeat of Lord Audley at Blore Heath. On his subsequent insurrection and attainder, the king laid siege to the castle, and having taken it, stripped it of all its ornaments, and plundered the town of every thing valuable; the Duchess of York, with her two younger sons, was taken prisoner, and confined for some time in one of the outer towers of the castle. Upon the death of the Duke of York, at the battle of Wakefield, the castle descended to his son Edward, Earl of March, afterwards Edward IV. The young king Edward V., and his brother, the Duke of York, lived in the castle, under the superintendence and protection of Earl Rivers, till their removal by order of the Duke of Gloucester, subsequently Richard III., to the Tower of London, where they were barbarously murdered. Prince Arthur, son of Henry VII., resided here after his nuptials with Catherine of Arragon, in 1501, and kept a splendid court till his decease in the following year. In the reign of Henry VIII., a kind of local government, called the "Council in the Marches of Wales," was established at Ludlow, consisting of a lord president, as many councillors as the prince chose to appoint, a secretary, an attorney, and four justices of the principality; the lord president residing in the castle. During the parliamentary war the castle held out for the king, under the command of the Earl of Bridgewater, but finally surrendered to the parliament; frequent skirmishes took place in the town between the contending forces, in one of which Sir Gilbert Gerrard, brother to the Earl of Macclesfield, was killed.
The remains of the Castle still exhibit traces of its original grandeur, and, from their elevated situation in a country abounding with beautiful scenery, form an interesting ruin; they are on the summit of an eminence of greystone rock, overhanging the river Teme. The north front consists of massive square towers connected by a lofty embattled wall. The ancient fosse and part of the rock were planted in 1772, with beech, elm, and lime trees, and form a delightful promenade. On the west is a precipitous ridge of rock parallel with the castle, and richly crowned with wood, intersected by a chasm, through which the river Teme pursues its course; and on the north and west sides of the building is a deep fosse, cut in the solid rock, over which was a drawbridge, now replaced by a bridge of stone, of two arches, leading to the principal entrance. The interior has a strikingly majestic appearance. On the right are the ruins of the extensive barracks which were occupied by the troops of the lords president of the marches; near the gate are the apartments of the warden and other officers, and on the left is the keep, a large square embattled tower of four stages, 110 feet high, with square turrets at the angles: the walls of this tower, which is of Norman architecture, are from nine to twelve feet in thickness. Opposite to the entrance gateway are the hall and state apartments, in the early and decorated English styles, now much dilapidated: in this hall was performed, by the children of the Earl of Bridgewater and others, the celebrated Masque of Comus, composed by Milton, and founded upon an incident which occurred to the family of that nobleman, soon after his appointment to the presidency. To the left are the ruins of the chapel, of which the nave and the beautiful Norman arch leading to the choir are the principal remains. Within the inclosure are several massive towers, among which are Mortimer's Tower, and that in which Butler, after the Restoration, composed several cantos of his Hudibras. Though irregular in their arrangement, and greatly dilapidated, these ruins, from the breadth of their masses, the bold projection of some portions, and the depth of the numerous recesses, are strikingly magnificent; and the luxuriant ivy by which they are partly concealed adds materially to the beauty of the remains, which hold a prominent rank among the interesting monuments of feudal grandeur for which the districts formerly constituting the marches are distinguished.
The town is situated on an eminence near the confluence of the rivers Teme and Corve, by which latter it is bounded on the north-west, and across which a handsome stone bridge of three arches was erected by the corporation, in 1787. Over the Teme, which, after being joined by the Corve, describes a semicircle on the west and south sides of the town, is an ancient bridge, the entrance to which is under the arched passage of Broadgate, the only one remaining entire of the old town gates. Of the wall that surrounded Ludlow, begun in the 13th, and completed in the 32nd, of Edward I., not more than part of the foundation can be traced. From its elevated situation, the town has a pleasing and cheerful appearance; the streets are spacious, and the houses in general handsome and well built. It is paved, and lighted with gas; and from the salubrity of the air, and the beauty and interest of the surrounding country, it was the residence of numerous opulent and highly respectable families. A building has been erected for a reading-room and museum; and adjoining it is a large square edifice for public business, lectures, &c.: both are of brick with stone facings, and situated in Mill-street. There are a public subscription library, and two circulating libraries: assemblies are held in a suite of rooms in the New Buildings; and a small theatre is opened during the races, which take place in July, and are succeeded by a ball and public breakfast, given in the inner court of the castle. The trade is chiefly in malt: there are some corn-mills, a paper-mill, an iron-foundry, and a manufactory for woollen-cloth, flannel, yarn, and blankets, on the banks of the Teme; the river Corve turns a mill for grinding the bark used in a tannery, and gives motion also to some machinery for making cordage and sacking. An act was passed in 1846 for a railway from Shrewsbury, by Ludlow, to Hereford. The principal market-day is Monday, for grain; and there are smaller markets for provisions on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. The fairs are on the Monday before Feb. 13th, Tuesday before Easter, May 1st, Wednesday in Whitsun-week, Aug. 21st, Sept. 28th, and Dec. 6th; the first and last are large marts for butter and cheese, and the others are for hops, horses, cattle, sheep, and pigs.
The town appears to have had a Charter of incorporation at a very early period. The charter was confirmed and renewed by Edward IV., from whose reign till that of Charles II. it underwent several modifications; in the time of William and Mary, on the petition of the inhabitants, it was restored to its original form. The corporation now consists of a mayor, four aldermen, and twelve councillors, under the act of the 5th and 6th of William IV., cap. 76; the number of magistrates is seven. On the passing of the act just named, the inscription of the corporation seal was altered. The borough first exercised the elective franchise in the 12th of Edward IV., since which time it has continued to return two members to parliament: the right of election, by the act of the 2nd of William IV., cap. 45, was extended to the £10 householders of an enlarged district, comprising an area of 1395 acres: the mayor is returning officer. The corporation hold quarterly courts of session for the borough, at which the recorder presides, for the trial of all offenders; and a court of record is held every Tuesday, under the charter of Edward IV., for the recovery of debts to any amount. The powers of the county debt-court of Ludlow, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Ludlow, and part of that of Church-Stretton. The corporation, as lords of the manor, hold an annual court leet; and pettysessions take place weekly. The market-house, or townhall, is a large plain building of brick: the guildhall, in which the courts for the borough are held, is a neat and commodious edifice of modern erection; and the borough gaol, erected by the corporation in 1764, in lieu of Goalford Tower, an ancient prison and gate of the town, is also a convenient building.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 12. 6., and in the patronage of the Crown; present net income, £160 per annum. The salaries of a "preacher" and an "assistant to the rector," are paid out of the valuable Guild estates. The church, which was formerly collegiate, is a spacious and handsome cruciform structure, in the early and decorated English styles, with a noble square embattled tower crowned by pinnacles. The nave is separated from the aisles by gracefully pointed arches, resting on slender clustered columns; the choir is lighted by five elegant windows on each side, and by a noble east window of large dimensions, on which is painted the legendary history of St. Lawrence; the oak-stalls are still remaining, and the roof of richly carved oak is preserved in the several parts of this sumptuous edifice. In the north transept is St. John's chapel, in which is some ancient stained glass, representing the history of the Apostles, and the legend of the ring presented to Edward the Confessor, as a prognostic of his death, by some pilgrims from Jerusalem. In Corve-street is a consecrated burial-ground, presented by Lord Clive and the Hon. R. H. Clive, in 1824. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. The free grammar school was restored by Edward VI., who vested in the corporation the estate of the guild or fraternity of Palmers, in Ludlow, to support this and other charities connected with the guild; and an act was passed in 1846, confirming to the charities estates worth £1500 a year: there are two exhibitions, of £45 per annum each for eleven years, to Balliol College, Oxford, for boys of the school, founded in 1704 by the Rev. Richard Greaves. A national school was established in 1813, with which a Blue-coat school has been incorporated; and from the funds of the latter, a house has been purchased and fitted up for the instruction of girls. Almshouses, adjoining the churchyard, were founded in 1486, by John Hosyer, who endowed them for thirty-three aged people: the present building was erected by the corporation, in 1758, at an expense of £1211. Four additional houses were founded and endowed by Mr. Charles Foxe. A workhouse and house of correction was endowed in 1674, by Thomas Lane, with land producing nearly £100 per annum; and among other valuable institutions are, one for the relief of lying-in women, a dispensary established in 1844, a winter-clothing society, a Church district-visiting society, and branches of the Societies for the Propagation of the Gospel and the Promotion of Christian Knowledge. There are numerous bequests, also, for distribution among the poor generally. The union of Ludlow comprises thirty-one parishes or places, twenty-three of which are in the county of Salop, and eight in that of Hereford, altogether containing a population of 17,521: the workhouse is a large stone building, at Gravel Hill, to the east of the town.
Adjoining the castle is Dinham House, a plain mansion of brick, belonging to the family of Clive, in which Lucien Buonaparte, towards the close of the war with France, resided while in England. Among the religious establishments which flourished here, was the college of St. John the Evangelist, founded in the reign of Edward the Confessor, and after the Dissolution given by Elizabeth to the corporation for charitable uses; the remains are divided into separate tenements. Here was also a priory of White friars, founded about the year 1349, by Sir Lawrence de Ludlowe, Knt., and of which some vestiges may be traced in the environs without the Corvegate. Of the several mineral springs in the neighbourhood, Saltmore Well, below Ludford, contains a small quantity of carbonate of iron, with a little sulphate of magnesia, and a considerable portion of muriate of soda; it is highly beneficial in scorbutic cases, and a bath has been fitted up for visiters. Numerous fossils are found. Thomas Johnes, Esq., translator of Froissart; R. Payne Knight, Esq., author of an Analytical Inquiry into the Principles of Taste, and other works; T. A. Knight, Esq., author of various works on Horticulture; and Dr. Badham, the translator of Juvenal, were residents of the town or neighbourhood.
LUDNEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Grainthorpe, union of Louth, Marsh division of the hundred of Louth-Eske, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 8 miles (N. E.) from Louth; with 70 inhabitants.
LUDNEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Kingston, union of Chard, hundred of Tintinhull, W. division of Somerset; containing 50 inhabitants.
LUDWORTH, a township, in the parish and union of Glossop, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 9½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Chapelen-le-Frith; containing 1476 inhabitants. It lies on the road from Glossop to Marple, in Cheshire, and has a scattered village of the same name.
Luffenham, North (St. John the Baptist)
LUFFENHAM, NORTH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Wrandike, county of Rutland, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Stamford; containing 478 inhabitants. It is pleasantly situated on the banks of the small river Chater, and comprises about 1900 acres; the surface is undulated, and the soil somewhat stony, but tolerably productive. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 0. 5.; net income, £624; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The glebe contains about 50 acres. The church is supposed to have been built in the reign of Edward III., and formerly contained a chantry; it was struck by lightning in 1822, and part of the steeple damaged. A national school is supported by funds arising from an estate left by Archdeacon Johnson, formerly rector, and founder of Oakingham and Uppingham grammar schools; a very curious brass monument is erected to his memory in the church.
Luffenham, South (St. Mary)
LUFFENHAM, SOUTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Wrandike, county of Rutland, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Uppingham; containing 317 inhabitants. It is on the road from Stamford to Uppingham and Leicester, and comprises 1248a. 22p.; the surface is hilly, and the soil of moderate quality. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 12. 6.; net income, £423; patron and impropriator, the Rev. James Bush. The glebe contains 60 acres, with a house.
LUFFIELD-ABBEY, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Buckingham, hundred of Greens-Norton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 5½ miles (N. N. W.) from Buckingham; containing 5 inhabitants. A Benedictine priory, in honour of the Virgin Mary, was founded here about 1124, by Robert Bossu, Earl of Leicester. Falling into decay from the inadequacy of its endowment, it was suppressed in 1494, and annexed to the collegiate church at Windsor; but in 1500 was given to the convent of Westminster by Henry VII., who was then building the chapel still known by his name. In the reign of Edward IV. its possessions were valued at £19. 19. 2. per annum. The liberty comprises 435 acres of land.
Luffincott (St. James)
LUFFINCOTT (St. James), a parish, in the union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington, Holsworthy and N. divisions of Devon, 7 miles (S. by W.) from Holsworthy; containing 93 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; net income, £67; patrons, J. Venner and J. Spettigue, Esqrs.
Lufton (St. Peter and St. Paul)
LUFTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Yeovil, hundred of Stone, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (W.) from Yeovil; containing 21 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 8½., and in the gift of Mrs. Farquharson, and the Trustees of the late Dr. Tatam, alternately: the tithes have been commuted for £102, and the glebe comprises about 30 acres. The church is a plain edifice of very small dimensions.