A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
FISHER, a hamlet, in the parish of North Mundham, union of West Hampnett, hundred of Box and Stockbridge, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex; containing 61 inhabitants.
Fisherton-Anger (St. Clement)
FISHERTON-ANGER (St. Clement), a parish, in the union of Alderbury, hundred of Branch and Dole, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts; containing 1739 inhabitants. This place forms an interesting appendage to the city of Salisbury, being separated from it only by the river Avon, over which is an ancient stone bridge. A convent of Black friars was founded here and endowed by Edward I.; the site is now occupied by the Sun inn. The village is pleasant, and the surrounding country abounds with varied and picturesque scenery. Fisherton House, an asylum for lunatics, is situated on rising ground overlooking the Bath and Exeter road, and is capable of furnishing accommodation to 100 patients. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at 13; income, 160; patron, W. H. F. Talbot, Esq. The church is one of the most ancient in the county, having been built more than a century prior to the cathedral of Sarum. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. John Nowes, Esq., in 1718 endowed a school with 15 per annum; Mrs. Hayter, lady of the manor, in 1797 built an almshouse for six unmarried women; and John Woodward, in 1823, left an endowment of 31. 10. to purchase clothing for the poor.
Fisherton-De-La-Mere (St. Nicholas)
FISHERTON-DE-LA-MERE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Wilton, hundred of Warminster, Warminster and S. divisions of Wilts, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Heytesbury; containing, with the hamlet of Bapton, 324 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road from Salisbury to Bath, and comprises about 3000 acres, chiefly arable: the surface is undulated, and the soil chalky. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at 8. 17.; patron and impropriator, John Davis, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for 142, and the glebe comprises about 20 acres. The church, an ancient structure in the Norman style, was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, at the expense of the late Mr. Davis, in 1833.
FISHERWICK, a township, in the parish of St. Michael, Lichfield, union of Lichfield, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (E.) from Lichfield; containing 86 inhabitants, and comprising about 1300 acres of rich land. This place was held by the bishops of Chester. In 1756 the Marquess of Massareene sold it to S. Swinfen, Esq., of whom it was purchased in 1758 by the Marquess of Donegal, who pulled down the old manor-house, and, in 1774, erected on the site a magnificent mansion of white freestone, and laid out the park and pleasure-grounds in the most exquisite taste. In 1810 the then marquess sold the estate to Richard Howard, Esq., by whom the mansion was demolished, the gardens broken up, and the park divided into farms. The Birmingham and Fazeley canal crosses the south-west angle of the township. The tithes have been commuted for 284. 17. payable to the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, and 42. 12. 6. to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Fisherwick gives the title of Baron to the Marquess of Donegal.
Fishlake (St. Cuthbert)
FISHLAKE (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Thorne, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York; containing, with the chapelry of Sykehouse, 1257 inhabitants, of whom 629 are in the township of Fishlake, 4 miles (W.) from Thorne. The parish comprises 3665a. 2r., of which the soil is a strong loam, well adapted for the growth of wheat; the surface is level and well wooded, and the surrounding scenery varied. The lands, which were subject to inundation from the Dutch river, on the south-east, are protected by an embankment, thrown up by Cornelius Vermuyden, in 1600. The village is large, and pleasantly situated on the north bank of the Don. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at 13. 3. 9.; net income, 171; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Durham: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1811. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower; it was thoroughly repaired in 1840. There is a chapel at Sykehouse; and the Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. The Rev. Richard Rands, in 1641, endowed a school with land now producing 110 per annum, exclusive of a house, stable, and garden, occupied by the master; and the poor have the rents of land, and the interest of money, arising from various bequests.
Fishley (St. Mary)
FISHLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Blofield, hundred of Walsham, E. division of Norfolk, of a mile (N.) from Acle; containing 9 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the river Bure, and comprises 476a. 3r. 9p., of which 327 acres are arable, 98 meadow and pasture, and 45 wood and water. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at 5, and in the gift of the Rev. E. Marsham: the tithes have been commuted for 162, and the glebe consists of about 5 acres. The church is in the early style, with a circular tower: the entrance on the south is through a Norman doorway.
FISHPOOL, a hamlet, in the parish of Blidworth, union of Mansfield, Southwell division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham; containing 92 inhabitants.
Fishtoft (St. Guthlake)
FISHTOFT (St. Guthlake), a parish, in the union of Boston, wapentake of Skirbeck, parts of Holland, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Boston; containing 562 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 19. 6. 8.; net income, 668; patron, Francis Thirkill, Esq. About 64, the produce of several bequests, are annually divided among the poor; and a school is endowed with land producing 17. 10. a year.
FISHWICK, a township, in the borough, parish, and union of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire; containing 756 inhabitants. The manor was in the possession of the Dacre family in the reign of Edward I.; and in that of Henry VIII. was held by the Asshetons, whose heiress brought it to the Hoghtons, by whom it was sold to the family of Shaw, about eighty years ago. The township, which on the west adjoins Preston, and is bordered by the river Ribble on the east and south, comprises 672a. 3r. 30p., the chief part in meadow, pasture, and market-gardens. Until about the beginning of the present century, it formed a calm and rural retreat between Preston and Walton-le-Dale; but its rural character was broken in upon in its northern part, by the increasing cottages of New Preston, and manufactories and other buildings have spread extremely in that direction. Fishwick cotton-mill, belonging to the firm of Swainson, Birley, and Company, is the largest in the kingdom under one roof: the building is 158 yards in length, 18 yards in width, and seven stories high; and contains 600 windows, and 32,500 panes of glass. In this vast establishment 50,000 mule spindles, 19,000 throstle spindles, and 1000 looms are at work, employing 1300 hands. The Bank-Top cotton-mill, belonging to Richard Riley, Esq., contains 400 looms, and employs 425 persons. Both of these factories were commenced in 1824. The great tithes have been commuted for 21, and the small for 17. In the township are a petrifying, and a chalybeate, spring.
Fiskerton (St. Clement)
FISKERTON (St. Clement), a parish, in the wapentake of Lawress, parts of Lindsey, union, and county, of Lincoln, 4 miles (E.) from Lincoln; containing 410 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south by the river Witham, and comprises 2504 computed acres: the surface is generally level and well drained, and the soil for the greater part a light clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 12. 1. 8.; net income, 447; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church, a handsome structure, having portions in the Norman style, and a tower at the west end, was partly rebuilt early in the fifteenth century. 21 per annum, the rent of lands bequeathed by Robt. Hodgson about 1700, are divided among the poor.
FISKERTON, a township, in the parish of Rolleston, union of Southwell, Southwell division of the wapentake of Thurgarton and of the county of Nottingham, 3 miles (S. E.) from Southwell; containing 402 inhabitants. The manor, in the year 1132, belonged to Ralph de Ayncourt, who gave it to the Augustine priory he had founded at Thurgarton, from which some monks settled in the ancient manor-house, which became a cell to the priory, and continued as such till the Dissolution. In the reign of Henry III. the monks obtained the grant of a weekly market and annual fair, but both have long been discontinued. The village is pleasantly situated on the north bank of the Trent, where commodious wharfs have been constructed, and extensive warehouses built: across the river is a ferry to the village of Stoke. The Nottingham and Lincoln railway has a station here, 4 miles from the station at Newark. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
FITLING, a township, in the parish of Humbleton, union of Skirlaugh, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 11 miles (E. N. E.) from Hull; containing 131 inhabitants. It appears to have been at a very early date the property of the hospital of St. John of Jerusalem, to the prior of which it was granted for making a chantry for the souls of the Earl of Albemarle and all the lords of Burstwick. The manor consists of 1420 acres, and is co-extensive with the township: the village is pleasantly situated, and the Hall commands an extensive prospect.
Fittleton (All Saints)
FITTLETON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Pewsey, hundred of Elstub and Everley, Everley and Pewsey, and S. divisions of Wilts, 6 miles (N.) from Amesbury; containing, with the tything of Hacklestone, 336 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Avon, and comprises about 3179 acres: the soil is generally a light loam mingled with flints, on a thick substratum of solid chalk. The village is in a fertile valley, with open downs on each side. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 23, and in the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford: the rectorial tithes have been commuted for 450. 7. 8., and certain impropriate tithes for 64. 16.; the glebe comprises 32 acres. The church is an ancient structure, in the early English style; the nave is separated from the aisles by clustered columns, and the roof is of carved oak.
FITTLEWORTH, a parish, in the hundred of Bury, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Petworth; containing 713 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Petworth to Arundel, and bounded on the south by the river Rother, over which is a neat bridge; and comprises by admeasurement 2320 acres, whereof 1010 are arable, 235 meadow and pasture, 740 woodland, and 310 common. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at 6. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester: the tithes have been commuted for 420, and the glebe comprises 5 acres. The church has portions in the early and decorated English styles. An estate, now producing 70 per annum, was left by Mr. Lee for keeping the church in repair; the surplus is given to the poor.
Fitz (St. Paul)
FITZ (St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Atcham, hundred of Pimhill, N. division of Salop, 5 miles (N. W. by N.) from Shrewsbury; containing 246 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 1500 acres, is situated on the Severn, and the river Perry also flows through the lands. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at 5. 5. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for 260, and the glebe comprises 32 acres. Dr. Edward Waring, the mathematician, was born here.
Fitzhead (St. Mary)
FITZHEAD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wellington, W. division of the hundred of Kingsbury, and W. division of Somerset, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Wiveliscombe; containing 339 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, 76; patron, the Vicar of Wiveliscombe. The church has a tower.
Fivehead (St. Martin)
FIVEHEAD (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Langport, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, W. division of Somerset, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Langport; containing 412 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Swell annexed, valued in the king's books at 7. 2. 8., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, the appropriators of Fivehead: the vicar receives the great tithes of Swell. The great tithes of Fivehead have been commuted for 253, and the vicarial for 126. The church is a neat building with an embattled tower.
FIXBY, a township, in the parish and union of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Huddersfield; containing 332 inhabitants. This place, called in Domesday book Feslei, was at an early period the property of a family to whom it gave name; it afterwards passed to the Toothills, and from them, by marriage, to the ancient family of Thornhill, of whom mention occurs in 1577 as holding lands of Queen Elizabeth in Fekisby, as of her demesne of Wakefield. This is the smallest township in the parish; it includes the hamlets of Cote, Knowles, Stone, and Upper Elland Edge, and comprises about 900 acres of land. The Hall is a large and handsome mansion, standing on an eminence.
Fladbury (St. John the Baptist)
FLADBURY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Pershore, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 miles (N. W.) from Evesham; comprising the chapelries of Stock with Bradley, Throckmorton, and Wyre-Piddle, and the hamlets of Abbot'sLench, and Hill with Moor; and containing 1448 inhabitants, of whom 425 are in the township of Fladbury. This parish, which is delightfully situated in the Vale of Evesham, comprises 6396 acres of land, principally arable, whereof 1448a. 16p. are in Fladbury township. It is bounded for its whole length, on the south, by the Avon; the soil is richly fertile, and the scenery beautiful. The village is not surpassed for opulence and respectability by any of its size in the county; it is pleasantly seated on the river, which is navigable from the Severn, affording facilities for the conveyance of coal and other supplies, and over which is a ferry at this place. The road from Worcester to Evesham, and the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway, intersect the parish. The principal seat is Craycombe House, about a mile north of the village, standing in a sheltered situation, and commanding a fine view of the winding Avon.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 81. 10., and in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester: the tithes have been commuted for 500, and the glebe comprises 700 acres, with a house. The church, built about 600 years ago, is in the early English style, with a tower, of which the lower portion is very ancient; the interior has been considerably altered and improved of late years, and in the chancel is a marble monument to Bishop Lloyd, who died in 1717. There are chapels at Bradley, Throckmorton, and Wyre-Piddle, which are stipendiary curacies, paid by the rector. A neat day and Sunday school, with a house for the master, was erected in 1841, by E. T. Perrott, Esq., at a cost of nearly 500. In the reign of Ethelred, a society of religious persons was established here, subordinate to the church at Worcester.
FLAGG, a township, in the parish and union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 6 miles (W.) from the town of Bakewell; containing 249 inhabitants.
Flamborough (St. Oswald)
FLAMBOROUGH (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Bridlington; containing 1191 inhabitants. Some writers suppose this parish to derive its name from the Saxon Fleamburgh, and assert that Ida landed at the Head; others infer that its appellation originated from the "flame" or light anciently placed on the cliffs, to direct mariners in the navigation of the North Sea. In early times the place was of some note; the Danes, in their attacks, frequently making it one of their principal stations: it was possessed by Harold, earl of the West Saxons, afterwards king of England; and subsequently, William Le Gros, the founder of Scarborough Castle, was its lord. At present it is a large fishing-village, remarkable for its adjacent promontory, and its fine lighthouse, which may be seen on a clear night at the distance of 30 miles. The parish comprises by computation rather more than 3000 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder, with the exception of about 15 acres of plantation, meadow and pasture. Flamborough Head is a lofty promontory overlooking the village, forming a magnificent object, and one of the greatest natural curiosities in the kingdom. The cliffs, which are of white limestone rock, extend in a range of from five to six miles, and rise in many places to an elevation of 300 feet perpendicularly from the sea; at the base are several extensive caverns, one of which, called Robin Lyth's Hole, has an opening landward, communicating with the sea entrance, and is an object of much admiration. In the summer season, the cliffs are the resort of an almost inconceivable number of aquatic birds from different regions, who here build their nests and rear their young: sportsmen are attracted from various parts; and boys are frequently let down the rocks by means of ropes fastened to stakes, and bring away with them bushels of eggs for the use of the sugar-house at Hull, and for domestic purposes. On the extreme point of the promontory, at the distance eastward of nearly a mile and a half from the village, and at an elevation of about 250 feet, is the lighthouse, with revolving points, erected by the Trinity House, London, in 1806. A pleasure-fair is held at the village on Whit-Tuesday. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the family of Strickland (the impropriators), with a net income of 81, and a parsonage-house, lately built by private subscription and a grant from Queen Anne's Bounty. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The most remarkable relic of antiquity is the Danes' Dyke, a gigantic intrenchment of immense width and depth, with two lines of defence and breastworks; it crosses the promontory from north to south, forming a bulwark between it and the main land, having been constructed, as some suppose, by the Danes, in order to insulate the promontory.