A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Heacham (St. Mary)
HEACHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Smithdon, W. division of Norfolk, 14 miles (N. N. E.) from Lynn-Regis; containing 811 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3549a. 2r. 18p., of which about 2340 acres are arable, 857 pasture, meadow, and salt-marsh, 96 woodland, and 258 common and waste: the mail-road from Lynn to Wells passes through the village, which is on rising ground, on the sea-coast. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. S. C. E. Neville Rolfe. The impropriate tithes have been partly commuted for £27. 5. 4., and the vicarial for £263. 12. 8.; the glebe contains 2½ acres, and the incumbent resides at the Hall, a red brick mansion, situated in a small park. The church is chiefly in the decorated style, and is a handsome cruciform structure, with a lofty embattled tower at the intersection; the upper compartments of the windows have been filled with stained glass, a gallery erected at the west end of the church, and an organ presented, by the incumbent. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship. In 1837, Mrs. C. Rolfe bequeathed £500 to the poor, who also receive, in coal, £10. 10. per annum from land allotted at the inclosure. Here was a cell of Cluniac monks, subordinate to the monastery of Lewes.
Headbourn-Worthy, county of Southampton.—See Worthy, Headbourn.
HEADBOURN-WORTHY, county of Sounthampton.—See Worthy, Headbourn.
Headcorn (St. Peter and St. Paul)
HEADCORN (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Hollingbourne, hundred of Eythorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 8½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Maidstone; containing 1292 inhabitants. This is a place of some antiquity: Moddenden Priory, for Trinitarian friars, was founded here about the year 1224, by Sir Robert de Rokesby, and flourished till the Dissolution, when its revenue was £60. 13.; the site was granted to Thomas, Lord Cromwell, and after his attainder, to Sir Anthony Aucher. The parish is situated on a branch of the river Medway, and comprises 5011 acres, of which 302 are in wood. The village, formerly a market-town, is regularly built: a fair is held in it on the 12th of June. The South-Eastern railway passes close to the place. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 13. 4.; net income, £294; patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury; impropriators, the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is principally in the later English style, and contains some remains of painted glass in the windows on the north side. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Headingley, with Burley
HEADINGLEY, with Burley, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Peter, liberty of the town of Leeds, but locally in the wapentake of Skyrack, W. riding of York, 2 miles (N. W.) from Leeds; containing 4768 inhabitants. This chapelry, which is on the road from Otley to Leeds, and bounded on the south by the river Aire, comprises by computation 3020 acres: the greater portion of the moorland was inclosed about the year 1765, and has been brought into profitable cultivation; the surface of the district is varied. The village is situated on an eminence, and consists of good houses and seats, inhabited by respectable families. Here are the Leeds Zoological and Botanical Gardens. Extensive quarries are worked of excellent freestone, known as millstone-grit, which is raised in huge blocks and sent to London and other distant places for public buildings. The manufacture of paper, for which there are two mills on the river, is carried on extensively; there is also a large bleaching establishment, and at Burley are mills for the woollen and stuff manufactures, in which many of the inhabitants are employed. The hamlet of Burley has various detached houses and pleasing villas: the air is salubrious, and the environs abound with fine scenery. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £250, with a good parsonage-house; patron, the Vicar of Leeds. The chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, is a handsome cruciform structure, in the later English style, with an embattled tower surmounted by a graceful spire, and was erected in 1838, on the site of the ancient chapel, at an expense of £2582, by subscription; the interior is well arranged, and contains 560 sittings. The great tithes have been commuted for £130. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Headington (St. Andrew)
HEADINGTON (St. Andrew), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Bullingdon, county of Oxford, 1½ mile (E. N. E.) from Oxford; containing 1668 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2000 acres, of which the greater portion is rich grazing-land; the soil is various, in some parts clay, and in others a sandy loam, producing good crops of grain, and the meadows on the banks of the Cherwell are luxuriantly rich. The substratum abounds with freestone of excellent quality, which has been extensively quarried, and has furnished materials for the erection of most of the colleges and other public buildings of Oxford. There are also beds of clay, and great quantities of bricks are manufactured. A spacious and wellconducted lunatic asylum has been established here, which is supported by subscription, and by fees paid by patients of a higher class, for whom superior accommodations are provided, and by others of inferior rank, to whom the terms of admission are rendered more moderate by a liberal appropriation of the profits arising from the wealthier patients. This benevolent institution originated with the governors of the Radcliffe Infirmary, and is under the patronage of the heads of houses in the university, and the nobility and gentry of the county. The living is a vicarage not in charge; net income, £118; patron, the Rev. T. H. Whorwood; impropriators, certain trustees. The church is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, separated by a fine Norman arch: in the churchyard is a cross, enriched with tracery. An additional church has been commenced at Headington-Quarry. A school is endowed with the interest of £400, the gift of Mrs. Catherine Mather in 1805. A field, called Court Close, is said to be the site of one of the palaces of King Ethelred; a gateway and some walls were in existence till within the last 60 years. The poorlaw union of Headington comprises 22 parishes or places, 21 being in the county of Oxford, and one in that of Buckingham, and contains a population of 14,091: the workhouse was erected in 1834.
HEADLAM, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 8 miles (W. N. W.) from Darlington; containing 117 inhabitants. It anciently belonged to the Nevills. The village, which is scattered, is pleasantly situated on rising ground, and watered by a small stream, which falls into the Tees at Carlbury. The soil is fertile; and there are some good limestone-quarries. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £111. 17. 8., payable to Trinity College, Cambridge, and the vicarial for £51. 6.
Headley (All Saints)
HEADLEY (All Saints), a parish, forming a detached portion of the hundred of Bishop's Sutton, Alton and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 6½ miles (S. by W.) from Farnham; containing 1265 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 4. 7.; net income, £766; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford. A school was built about 1755, by the Rev. George Holmes, D.D., and endowed by him with a rent-charge.
Headley (St. Mary)
HEADLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Reigate, Second division of the hundred of Copthorne and Effingham, W. division of Surrey, 4 miles (S.) from Epsom; containing 317 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1630 acres, of which 489 are waste or common; there are considerable woodlands. A small hill here is called "Oyster," from its containing fossils of that shell-fish, quantities of which have been found. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 7. 6., and in the gift of the family of Howard: the tithes have been commuted for £211, and the glebe contains 15½ acres. The church is a small edifice, chiefly built of flint, and consists of a nave and chancel separated by a pointed arch, with a tower at the west end: a delightful view is obtained from the churchyard, northwards.
Headon (St. Peter)
HEADON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of East Retford, South-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (S. E.) from East Retford; containing, with the small village of Upton, 269 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 2011 acres, was the residence of the Wastney family, of whom the last baronet, Sir Hardolph Wastney, erected the mansion of Headon Hall, in 1710. The living comprises a sinecure rectory and a discharged vicarage, valued jointly in the king's books at £19. 15. 10.; net income of the rectory, £178, and of the vicarage, £200; patron, G. H. Vernon, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1815; the vicarial glebe comprises 164 acres. The church, a handsome structure in the later English style, contains some monuments to the Wastney family.
HEAGE, a chapelry, in the parish of Duffield, union of Belper, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 5 miles (S. W.) from Alfreton; containing 2305 inhabitants. The chapelry is partly bounded by the rivers Derwent and Amber, and comprises 2330 acres, of which 1453 are arable, 725 meadow, 100 wood, and 51 acres roads; the surface is hilly and undulated, the soil a heavy clay, and the scenery pleasing. Ironstone has been worked from a very remote period, in the smelting and manufacturing of which charcoal was anciently used, there being numerous charcoal hearths in the vicinity; but coal is now obtained in abundance. Bricks are made of the clay here, and there are two good stone-quarries. The village, which is considerable, and stands elevated, is on the road from Belper to Chesterfield. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Duffield, with a net income of £150; and a parsonage-house, built in 1845. The chapel was enlarged in 1830, and contains 527 sittings, of which 384 are free. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists; also a school founded in 1705, by George Storer, and endowed with £28 per annum; a Church infant school; and a Sunday school.
Healaugh (St. John the Evangelist)
HEALAUGH (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the W. division of the Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of York, 3¼ miles (N. by E.) from Tadcaster; containing 245 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2800 acres, the property of Stamp Brooksbank, Esq.; the surface is varied, and in many parts picturesque. Healaugh Hall, the seat of Mr. Brooksbank, is a handsome mansion, situated in a richly-wooded park. The manor-house, originally a priory of Black canons, which was granted in 1540 to the Gage family, was subsequently the residence of Lord Wharton, and retains much of its ancient character, having an embattled parapet, and being surrounded with a moat; it is now a farmhouse. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £6; net income, £92; patron and impropriator, Mr. Brooksbank. The church is an ancient structure, in the Norman style, of which it has several fine details; and contains a very handsome alabaster monument to the memory of Lord Wharton and his two wives.
Healey, Lancashire.—See Spotland.
HEALEY, Lancashire.—See Spotland.
Healey, with Sutton
HEALEY, with Sutton, a township, in the parish of Masham, union of Leyburn, wapentake of HangEast, N. riding of York, 7¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Middleham; containing 442 inhabitants. The township comprises 4827a. 1r. 10p., forming a hilly tract extending westward to the foot of Witton Fell and BroomBeck Moor. The village is about three miles to the west of Masham, and contains a school, built in 1820 by the late William Danby, Esq., and endowed with 11½ acres of land. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £70, and the impropriate for £140, payable to Trinity College, Cambridge. The church here is of pleasing design; it was built in 1846, and has a square bell-tower, surmounted by a spire.
Healing (St. Peter and St. Paul)
HEALING (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (W.) from Great Grimsby; containing 90 inhabitants. Healing is supposed to have derived its name from the efficacy of its two mineral springs, which are strongly impregnated with iron and sulphur; they have their source within a yard of each other, and are found useful in cutaneous diseases. The parish comprises by computation 1200 acres, of which 700 are pasture, and 500 arable. The surface is rather higher than the marsh, and a little lower than the Wolds; the soil is chiefly a rich clay, and the prevailing trees, ash, oak, and elm. Healing Hall and gardens have a moat on the east and south sides. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 4. 2., and in the gift of Alfred Arthur Wallis, Esq., and Mrs. Parkinson: the tithes have been commuted for £264. 6., and the glebe comprises 22 acres. The church, an ancient structure with a square tower, has undergone much mutilation.
HEALLY, a township, in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7½ miles (S. E.) from Hexham; containing 65 inhabitants. This place, which is situated above three miles south-west from Bywell, was long the property of the Roman Catholic family of Sanderson, from whom it was purchased some years since by Robert Ormston, Esq., by whom considerable improvements have been made, by building, by draining and fencing, and inclosing common land. About 600 acres have been planted.
Healy, with Comb-Hill
HEALY, with Comb-Hill, a township, in the parish of Nether Witton, union of Rothbury, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 10 miles (W. N. W.) from Morpeth; containing 36 inhabitants. It comprises 805 acres, and consists of three farms, called respectively North and South Healy, and Comb-Hill, and which are part of the Nether Witton estate. The north and east portions of the township have the river Font for a boundary, near which the soil is fertile, but in other places it is principally grassland of poor quality. Here is a water corn-mill, named Healy mill.
Heanor (St. Mary)
HEANOR (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Basford, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby; containing, with the townships of Codnor-with-Loscoe and Shipley, and with Codnor-Park, extra-parochial, 6282 inhabitants, of whom 3058 are in the town of Heanor, 9 miles (N. E.) from Derby. This parish by measurement comprises 7000 acres, whereof 1500 are in the township of Heanor; it abounds with coal and ironstone, both worked extensively, the collieries alone affording employment to more than 2000 persons. The town is pleasantly situated upon an eminence, on the road from Derby to Mansfield. The principal articles of manufacture are silk and cotton goods, hosiery, and bobbinet lace, providing occupation to about 800 persons. The river Erewash passes along the eastern boundary of the parish: it is crossed by Langley bridge, near which a railway branches off, and extends to the coal-pits north of the town; and about a mile and a half from the town passes the Erewash-Valley railway. The market, on Wednesday, has been discontinued. Charles Lea H. Masters, Esq., is lord of the manor. Heanor Hall is the seat and property of John Ray, Esq. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown: the income, previously £111, arising from a glebe of 19 acres, and some land in the parish of Wirksworth allotted in lieu of tithes, was augmented in 1841 with £39 per annum from the fund raised by the suspension of canonries and prebends. The church is a very ancient edifice, with a lofty substantial tower, from which is an extensive view. Codnor and Loscoe, with Codnor-Park, have been formed into a church district. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Ranters. £5 per annum were left by Richard Smedley, of Risley, in 1744, for the education of colliers' children; and £7. 10. per annum by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, of Staveley, in 1818, for the benefit of the poor. William Howitt, the poet, was born here in 1792.
Heanton-Puncharden (St. Augustine)
HEANTON-PUNCHARDEN (St. Augustine), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 4½ miles (W. N. W.) from Barnstaple; containing 626 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by the river Taw, and comprises 3020 acres, of which 186 are waste land or common: the village is pleasantly situated. A pleasure-fair is held at Whitsuntide. The ancient mansion of the Bassett family is still remaining. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £22. 7. 11., and in the gift of Joseph Davie Bassett, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £394, and the glebe comprises 38 acres. The church is in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains some elegant monuments to Sir Arthur Bassett and others of that family, and one bearing the arms of the family of Coffin; there are a wooden screen, and a very curious font. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.
HEAP, a township, in the parish and union of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (E.) from Bury, on the road to Rochdale; containing, with the town of Heywood, 14,856 inhabitants. The origin of the name is not at all obvious: in the earliest mention of the place, it is termed Hep, which may imply a tract overgrown with hawthorn-berries; or the designation may have arisen from the unevenness of the surface, heep, in the Saxon, indicating a mass of irregularities. A family called Hep or Heap held the lands from the paramount lords, but it has been extinct a considerable time: Heap Fold, one of the most ancient places of abode in the district, was the residence of this local family. The township is bounded on the north by Birtle-cum-Bamford, and is intersected by the river Roche; it comprises 2934 acres, of which 1876 are meadow and pasture, 561 arable, and 496 plantations, reservoirs, &c. The surface is undulated, the northern part partaking of the hilly character of the district on which it borders; the soil is various, and but little of it fertile. Several coal-mines are in operation, and excellent freestone is in abundance. The manufacture of cottons, woollens, and paper, is carried on to a great extent. The first cotton-factory erected in the township was Makin mill, on the banks of the Roche, about the year 1780, by the firm of Peel, Yates, and Company, the head of which was Robert Peel, Esq., afterwards Sir Robert Peel, father of the present distinguished baronet. Heap-Bridge is a small village on the old road between Rochdale and Bury, and has a bridge over the river. A church has been erected, dedicated to St. James, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester; net income, £150. The tithes have been commuted for £169. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and others; also a small endowed school; and a national school for boys, erected in 1815.—See Heywood.
HEAPEY, a township and chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Chorley, on the road to Blackburn; the township containing 496 inhabitants. This place was held by the De Ollertons, of whom Ranulph De Ollerton assumed the name of Hepay in the reign of John. Robert de Hepay, in the 28th of Edward I., sold the lordship to one of the Standishes, and the manor or lordship has remained from that time in the Standish family. The township comprises 939 acres, chiefly pasture, and including about 200 acres of moorland. There are an extensive bleaching concern, and a stone-quarry. The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes through. The chapelry contains also the township of Wheelton: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Vicar of Leyland; net income, £150, with a house, built in 1845. The chapel was enlarged in 1844, at an expense of £700: near it is a national school, and there is another at White Coppice. In January, 1835, a large number of Roman coins were discovered, chiefly of brass, with some of silver, and many of them in excellent preservation.
Heapham (All Saints)
HEAPHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Gainsborough, wapentake of Corringham, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (E. S. E.) from Gainsborough; containing 125 inhabitants. It comprises about 1250 acres of land, belonging to various proprietors; the village, which is scattered, is situated on an eminence, near the source of a small rivulet. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £201; patron, Sir W. A. Ingilby, Bart. The church is a small ancient structure, with a tower containing windows of Norman character.