An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1805.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
Costesseye or Coteseia, that is the [Cote], or dwelling-place by the water's side, or in the Eye or island, and the situation of it in a great hole by the river's side confirms its etymology, so that Costessey is the Island of Cottages.
It is reckoned one of the largest manors in this county, extending itself into most of the adjacent villages, over which it hath the superiority, in as ample a manner as the lord of the hundred hath over the rest; it belonged to Guert in the Confessor's time, who had four carucates of land, a park for beasts, and the several towns and hamlets of Baber, Thorp, Bereford, Easton, Hunningham, Wramplingham, Brandon, Runhall, Carleton, Marlingford, and Tokethorp, or at least berewics or manors in these towns, belonged to it at the Conqueror's survey, and now it extends into these and several other villages.
After the Conquest, it fell to the share of Alan Earl of Richmond, (fn. 1) sirnamed Rufus, or Fergaunt, by reason of his red hair, as Mr. Dugdale and others say; but it should seem that he was known by both these names, Rufus signifying Red, and Fergaunt, Iron-Glove; he was son of Eudo Earl of Britanny in France, and coming over with Duke William into England, he commanded the rear of his army in that memorable battle near Hastyngs, where he behaved so bravely, that he was immediately advanced to the Earldom of Richmond, which was before that the honour of Edwine Earl of Mercia; as soon as he had possession of the honour, he built a strong castle at his capital mansion of Gilling in Yorkshire, and named it Rich-Mount, for the better safeguard of himself and tenants, against the natives who were dispossessed of their own inheritances. It is plain he was a good man, for he was much valued and respected by the English, which could proceed from nothing but his humane treatment of them: he was the first beginner of the foundation (or rather restorer) of that great abbey of St. Mary at York; he married Constance one of the Conqueror's daughters, and dying without issue, was buried in the abbey of St. Edmund's-Bury, at the south door, before the altar of St. Nicholas. (fn. 2)
This great man had no less than 166 lordships in Yorkshire, one in Dorsetshire, eight in Essex, two in Hantshire, 63 in Cambridgeshire and 10 burgages in Cambridge, 12 in Hertfordshire, seven in Nottinghamshire, 101 in Lincolnshire, and 81 in Norfolk, of all which, this was the largest, as appears from Domesday, fol. 62 and 63. (fn. 3)
At Alan's death, Alan Niger, or Alan the Black, a great favourite of William Rufus, succeeded; he was brother of Alan the Red, and died also without issue, and was interred by his brother at Bury; he founded the cell at Rumburgh, and annexed it to St. Maries abbey at York, (fn. 4) and
Stephen, his brother, inherited; he was a benefactor to Bury abbey, to which he gave some of his burgages in Cambridge, and dying in 1104, his body was buried in the monastery at Begar, and his heart in St. Maries at York, (fn. 5) leaving
Alan, sirnamed the Savage, his son and heir; in 1142, standing firm to King Stephen, he manned Hotun castle in Yorkshire, but with no success; and dying in Brittany, was buried at Begar, leaving, by Bertha his wife, one of the heiresses of Conan le Gross Earl of High or Upper-Britany,
Conan Fitz-Alan, sirnamed Le-Petit, or The Little, his son and heir; he had the title of Duke of Brittany and Earl of Richmond. Upon the death of Jeffry Earl of Anjou, (father to King Henry II.) the city of Nantz in Brittany elected Jeffry, (fn. 6) second son to the said Jeffry, to be their ruler; but he dying soon after, this Conan having then the rule of a great part of that province of Britanny, entered the city of Nantz, whereof Henry II. being informed, he forthwith seized his earldom, and so this manor came to the Crown, and Richard de Hadesco had a grant of part of it, worth 100s. for life, which he was to hold at the fourth part of a fee, and Henry de Turbevill obtained the tows of Cossey, Coleton and Baburc, of the King, for a certain term, paying 5l. per annum. (fn. 7) This Earl died in 1171, and was buried at Begar, and is said to have recovered all his possessions before his death, and as Mr. Neve observes, gave this and Hunningham, with his daughter, in marriage to Alan Viscount of Rohan; but it is plain that Henry II. would not give him possession of it, for it was in King Richard's hands when he came to the Crown, and was farmed by Robert de Mortimer, who paid 35l. per annum for it; but in 1190, upon
Alan de Rohan's paying King Richard I. a hundred pounds, he had full possession of the manor and all its appurtenances; and in 1199, King John sent his writ to Jeffry Fitz Peter, commanding him to deliver Alan of Rohan all his lands in England, as Cossey, Swavesey, Fulbourne, &c. But the King reserved a parcel of this manor, which was formerly Jordan de Bosco's, which he granted to the said Robert de Mortimer and his heirs. At the death of Alan it escheated to the Crown, (fn. 8) and
Roger de Molbrai, second son of Nigel de Albini, obtained a grant of King John, of the manors of Swaveseye, Fulbourne, and Cossey, and Adam de Galloway had a grant of 100 acres belonging to this manor, in Stokes and Cossey; in 1208, he granted to Roger de Turrovill great possessions in Cossey and Bauburc, to farm and take care of for him, and it is plain the whole was in the Crown, and was only farmed by Galloway, Turrovill, and others; for in 1216, King Henry III. immediately upon his accession sent a writ to the sheriff, telling him he had committed the custody of Costessey to,
Roger la Zouch, during pleasure only; and because he had not a seal yet made, therefore this patent was sealed with the seal of William Marshall Earl of Pembrook, who was with the King at Lincoln; and it appears also by the Patent Rolls, that the King had given Swaveseye and Fulbourne, formerly belonging to Alan Viscount of Rohan, in exchange for land in Brittany of his inheritance, descending to him from those Earls, whose heir he was; and in 1219, he obtained a grant of the land in Bauburc, which William de Mandevile Earl of Essex held during pleasure, as belonging to Cossey, and thus Cossey and its members belonged to the Crown, being held by many persons as farmers at the King's pleasure, till 1220, and then
Eleanor Queen of England, the King's mother, had it given her, in which year, Ric. de Bawburgh, and the other tenants of the Queen's manor and honour of Costessey complained of the bailiffs of Norwich, (fn. 9) for taking toll and custom of them in the city, contrary to the privileges of the tenants of Cossey, who are to be free from all toll, for the corn growing on their own land, and for beasts of their own breeding, but for nothing else.
In 1241, the King by his especial charter, dated 1st May, gave to Peter de Subaudia or Savoy, uncle to Queen Eleanor, and his heirs for ever, the manor of Swafham, and the manor and soke of Costessey in Norfolk: (fn. 10) and in 1256, his bailiffs of Costessey, were sued for substracting the suitors of the towns of East-Tudenham, Thuxton, Yaxham, and Westfeld, from the hundred court of the soke to Cossey, to which it was found they did not belong; this Peter, by his will in 1268, gave
Queen Alianore the Earldom of Richmond, and consequently this manor, which belonged to it, and soon after it was settled on
Prince Edward, the King's son, who settled it on his mother the Queen, who held it in 1274; and this inquisition says, that after the death of Alan de Rohan, the Bishop of Roan had a grant of it for life, and this year the bailiffs of the Cossey made the water called OldEe, the separate fishery, which before was common to all the tenants. (fn. 11) In 1279, (fn. 12) the Queen had an extent made, when the manor and soke was worth 92l. per annum, without the advowsons of Cossey, Bawburgh, Honingham, Ringland, and the mediety of Berford, which were all given in alms to divers religious houses. There was a manor-house and 100 acres of land, and 6 acres of meadow, and liberty of faldage in Honingham, which was also given in alms. In Hillary term, 18th Edward I. the bailiff of the Queen, widow of Henry III. impleaded several tenants of Cossey manor in Wramplingham, for cutting down wood in Wramplingham, as what they could not do, it being parcel of the manor of Cossey, and a member thereof, but they being found to be under the lord of Wramplingham, and not to belong to Cossey, could do it, and so justified themselves. (fn. 13)
In 1291, John de Brittania Earl of Richmond petitioned the King to have Cossey, by reason of the grant and surrender of the Earldom of Richmond, made by King Henry III. to John, son of Peter de Savoy, late Duke of Richmond; and in 1292, Amadeus Earl of Savoy released all his right in it to the King, and in all his possessions in England. At Queen Eleanor's death, it came to the Crown; and in 1312, King Edward II. granted it to
Sir John de Claveringe for life, who, in 1312, sued William Fiz and seventeen others villeins of his manor of Cossey, for withdrawing themselves, their goods, and chattles out of his manor, and dwelling in other places, to his and the King's prejudice, upon which a writ was directed to force them to come and dwell in the manor, and bring all their goods with them, upon execution of which, six of them pretended to be freemen, and came to their trial, and pleaded that they came by their freedom in this manner, viz. by being citizens of the city of Norwich, having lived there, and paid scot and lot, for above thirty years, with the free citizens there; and two of them pleaded they were born in the walls of the city, and as such produced the Conqueror's charter, in which it was contained, that if any servants or villeins lived without claim of their lords, (i. e. without paying chevage, or a fine for license so to do,) for a year and a day, in any of the King's cities, walled towns, or in the camp, from that day they should be freemen, and their posterity for ever, upon which these six were declared freemen, and an appeal from the King's charter was not admitted; and two more pleaded and obtained their freedom, by proving that Edward I. granted their fathers houses and lands in Norwich, to hold of him and his heirs, according to the custom of the city, and that they were their fathers' heirs; but all the rest were forced to return and live in villeinage under their lord. (fn. 14) In 1327, he had the hundreds of Loddon, (fn. 15) and Claveringe, Holt, Depwade, Hensted, North and South-Erpingham, Blofield, and Humilyerd, in recompense for his barony of Workeworth, and his other lands, which he had settled on the King.
In 1329, the King granted it to
Sir Rob. de Ufford, and the heirs male of his body, for his loyal service against Roger Mortimer Earl of March, and for want of such, to return to the Crown: it was then worth 100l. per annum; and in 1334, the King granted him a charter for free-warren here, and in all the lands and manors belonging to and held of this manor; and in all his lands and manors in this county, viz. Cossey, Bawburg, Erlham, Bowthorp, Eastom Huningham, Colton, Ringland, Thorp, Weston, Yaxham, Runhale, Westfield, Brandon, Wramplingham, Barford, Welborn, Taverham, Felthorp, or Tolthorp, Burgh, by Alesham, Totington, Hickling, Ingham, Catfield, Stalham, and Sutton. He died in 43d Edward III. and was succeeded by
Will. de Ufford Earl of Suffolk, his son and heir, whose wife,
Isabell, held this manor at the fourth part of a fee, and let it to Michael de la Pole Earl of Suffolk, for her life, and in 1384,
The said Michael obtained a patent of the King, to hold it in fee to him and his heirs, but he being afterwards attainted, it was granted to
Edmund de Langley Duke of York, with Rising-Castle, Lawndichc, and South-Grenehoe hundreds, Hadeston Hall manor, Mileham, Beston by Mileham, &c. parcel of the possessions of Thomas Duke of Gloucester, who was attainted, which Duke had obtained a grant of it after the Earl of Suffolk's attainder, notwithstanding all which, at the death of Michael de la Pole Duke of Suffolk, which happened in his banishment at Paris, this manor came to
Isebell, his widow, who owned it in 1401; and after her death,
Michael de la Pole, being restored to his honour and estate, enjoyed the manor, and was lord here; he died in 1414, leaving it to
Katherine, his widow, who was daughter of Hugh Earl of Stafford, at whose death it went to
Will. de la Pole, her second son, then Earl of Suffolk, and was settled in 1434 on
Alice, his wife; Sir John de Shardelow, Knt. and others, being trustees; at her death,
John de la Pole Duke of Suffolk inherited, who settled it on Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Plantaginet Duke of York, and sister of King Edward IV.; he died in 1491, and was buried at Wingfield, and it went to
Edmund le la Pole Earl of Suffolk, who was beheaded for treason in 1513, upon which the manor came to the
Crown, but had been seized before, during his imprisonment in the Tower in 1510, and was then granted by patent to
Thomas Lord Howard and Anne his wife, and the heirs of her body, with Wingfield-Castle, Stockton, &c.; and in 1511, a fine was levied between King Henry VIII. and Katherine Courtenay Countess of Devonshire, one of the daughters and heirs of the late King Edward the Fourth, and Thomas Howard and Anne his wife, another of the daughters and heirs of that King, whereby the manors of Walsingham, Bircham, Olton, Bale, Gunthorp, and Sharington, in this county, were passed to the King, who granted to Thomas and Anne the castles and manors of Wyngfield, Sileham cum Vese's in Stradbrook, Frostendon and Cretyng, in Suffolk, and Stockton, Claxton, Helgeton, and Cossey in Norfolk. This Thomas, though he is only called Thomas Howard, Knt. was after Duke of Norfolk, and had issue, Thomas and Anne, who both died young, so that for want of issue of the body of the said Anne, the manor reverted to the crown at the Duke's death. The Dukes of Suffolk all along laid claim to this manor, but
Henry VIII. purchased it off, and was sole and indisputable lord here, and made a grant of it to the Lady Anne de Cleve, for a term, after which, it continued in the Crown, till Queen Mary granted it to
Sir Henry Jernegan, her Vice-Chamberlain, and Master of her Household, of which ancient family take the following account, which is very different from all the pedigrees which I have seen, but is certainly fact, as the records here quoted prove.
The tenants of this manor were privileged, as tenants in ancient demean, and were not to be impanelled on juries; (fn. 16) but I do not find it excepted by any writ of that nature at present.
The ancient family of the Jernegans are seated here ever since the aforesaid grant, and are a younger branch of the Jernegans of Somerley-Town, in the island of Lothingland in Suffolk, (fn. 17) but that eldest branch being extinct, this became the eldest surviving branch, and so continues.
Weaver, fo. 770, tells us this family hath been of exemplary note before the Conquest, and adds this account extracted out of the Jarnegans pedigree:
"Anno M. xxx. Canute King of Denmarke, and of England after his return from Rome, brought diverse captains and souldiers from Denmark, whereof the greatest part were christened here in England, and began to settle themselves here, of whom, Jernegan, or Jernengham, and Jenhingho, now Jennings, were of the most esteem with Canute, who gave unto the said Jerningham, certain Royalties, and at a Parliament held at Oxford, the said King Canute did give unto the said Jerningham, certaine mannors in Norfolke, and to Jennings, certain manors lying upon the sea side, near Horwich in Suffolke, in regard of their former services done to his father Swenus, King of Denmark."
That the above note may be in the pedigree of the family, I cannot contradict, nor yet the truth of it, though I must own, there are many things which seem to invalidate it; the pedigree as commonly received, I shall take no notice of, but give you one extracted from authentick records, as they now remain among Mr. Le Neve's Collections.
That Jernegan was anciently a Christian name, as the former note observes, is very true, as numerous records prove: in 1195, there was a fine levied of lands in Edricheston in Warwickshire, between Reginald de Claverdon and Gernegan his brother, and about this time, it was a common name in France, as we find from Lobmeau in his History of Britain, vol. i. p. 105, where Jernegon de Pontchasteau, and some others of the name, are mentioned, but none of these were of this family.
The first that I meet with of this family was called
1. Hugh, without any other addition, whose son was named
2. Jernegan, and was always called Jernegan Fitz-Hugh, or the son of Hugh; he is mentioned in the Castle-Acre Register, fo. 63. b. as a witness to a deed without date, by which Brian, son of Scolland, confirmed the church of Melsombi to the monks of Castle-Acre. He married Sibill, who, in 1183, paid 100l. of her gift into the Exchequer, after her husband's death; (fn. 18) his son was called
3. Hugh, or Hubert, son of Jernegan, (fn. 19) who gave a large sum of money to King Henry II. and paid it into the treasury in 1182; (fn. 20) he was witness to a deed in 1195, by which divers lands were granted to Byland abbey in Yorkshire; (fn. 21) he married Maud, daughter and coheir of Thorpine, son of Rob. de Watheby of Westmorland, (fn. 22) he is mentioned by the name of Hubert de Jernegan, in the Black Book of the Exchequer, published by Mr. Herne at Oxford, 1728, vol. i. p. 301, as one of the Suffolk knights that held of the honour of Eye. In 1201, he paid King John 20l. fine, (fn. 23) for three knights fees and an half, which laid in Yorkshire, and were held of the honour of Brittany, and died in 1203, and the King granted the wardship of all his large possessions, and the marriage of his wife and children, to Robert de Veteri Ponte, or Vipount, so that he married them without disparagement to their fortunes. (fn. 24)
4. Hubert Jernegan of Horham (fn. 25) in Suffolk, Knt. his son, succeeded, who had been a rebel against King John; but on the accession of Henry III. to the crown, submitted himself, and obtained his pardon; (fn. 26) but it seems he had not recovered all his estates in 1219, for in that year, Gilbert de Gant gave to Robert Marmion, junior, the wardship of the land late Hugh Jernegan's, in Hundemaneby; (fn. 27) and in 1240, Margery, late wife of Hubert, sued Hugh Jernegan, her son, for lands in Stonham-Jernegan in Suffolk, (fn. 28) so that Hubert died in 1239.
5. Sir William Gernegan, son and heir of Hubert, married Julian, daughter and coheir of Gymingham of Burnham, and Hugh de Polsted married Hawise, the other coheir, and levied a fine of all the Gyminghams estate in Burnham, in the 10th of King John. (fn. 29) He died young and without issue, and was succeeded by
6. Sir Hugh Jernegan, his youngest brother, Godfrey and Robert being dead, who in 1243 came to an agreement with his mother Margery, and settled on her, in lieu of the dower of Sir Hubert, her late husband, during her life, the capital messuage of the manor of Horham, with the park, windmill, and demean lands, and the services and rents of Horham manor, with housebate, heybote, and pannage; and in consideration of this settlement, Margery released all her right in dower, in two carucates of land, and a messuage in Stonham Jernegan (fn. 30) in Suffolk, and in all his other estates in Norfolk and Suffolk. (fn. 31) In 1244, he was witness to the deed of Henry Duke of Lovain, made to the monks of Eye; (fn. 32) Elizabeth his wife is mentioned in the assize rolls. In 1249, he had lands in Hillington and Congham in Norfolk, (fn. 33) and lived to be very old, for in 1269 he held of Roger, son of Peter Fitz-Oubourn or Osbern, divers lands in Stovene and Bugges, for which he did homage, to Roger, son of the said Peter, in the presence of Sir Walter de Redisham, Knt. Sir William, rector of Hillington, &c. (fn. 34) he married for his second wife, Ela or Ellen, daughter and coheir of Sir Thomas de Ingaldesthorp, Knt. (fn. 35) who survived him: after the death of his mother, he settled
7. Sir Walter Jernegan, his son, in the manor of Horham, upon his marriage with Isabell, daughter, and at length heir, of Sir Peter Fitz-Osbert or Osborn, (fn. 36) of Somerley-Town in Suffolk, who, it seems, died before him, leaving
8. Sir Peter Jernegan, his son, who became heir to his father and grandfather, and also coheir to the Fitz-Osberts estate, in right of his mother, for that estate, on the death of Sir Peter Fitz-Osbert of Somerley-Town, his grandfather, went to Sir Roger Fitz-Osbert, her brother, who died without issue, leaving it to Catherine his wife for life, (fn. 37) who died in 1220, and then the Fitz-Osberts estate came to Isabell, widow of Walter Jernegan, Sir Peter's mother, as sister of the said Roger Fitz-Osbert, and to John Noion, son and heir of Alice Fitz-Osbert, the other sister of the said Isabell; and on a division made, Somerleton was settled on Sir Peter Jernegan, son of the said Isabell, who came hither, leaving Horham, and Stonham Jernegan, and Somerleton became the capital seat of the Jernegan family; (fn. 38) the Fitz-Osberts had the manors of Somerleton, Uggeshall, &c. in Suffolk, Hadeston, Witlingham, &c. in Norfolk. This Sir Peter was sub-escheator of Suffolk, Ao. 1283, held Stonham, and Horham of the honour of Eye in 1299; (fn. 39) in 1334, he sold Uggeshall manor and advowson to Sir Edmund de Soterlee, Knt. and Witlingham and Hadeston, in 1342, he being then above 70 years old; and it appears from Eye Register, fo. 98, b. that he first married Alice, daughter of Hugh Germayn, and Basil his wife. The pedigree says he married a Herling for his second wife, which seems true by the quarterings of the Jernegans, as they were to be seen in Horham church Ao. 1663, being put up by Sir John Jernegan, who married Isabell, daughter and heiress of Sir Jervace Clifton:
5. Mortimer. These two are Herling's quarterings.
7. Kilvedon or Keldon.
And for his third wife, a Huntingfield. He was succeeded by
9. Sir John Jernegan, senior, his son and heir, who inherited the other moiety of the Fitz-Osberts estate, at the death of Sir John Noion, Knt. whose heir he was; he married Jane, daughter of Sir William de Kelvedon, who was jointly seized of all his manors of Somerleton, Wathe, Horham, &c. at the time of his death, which happened on the Thursday before the Feast of the Annunciation, in 1375. (fn. 40)
10. In 1374, John Jernegan, junior, his son and heir, married Margaret, daughter of Sir Tho. Vise de Lou, Knt. (fn. 41) and his father then settled the advowson of Stonham-Jernegan, and Horham, on them and their heirs. (fn. 42)
11. Sir Thomas Jernegan, (fn. 43) their son and heir, inherited, and in 1406, had a charter for free-warren in Somerleton, Flixton, Ilketishall, and Wathe, in Suffolk, and Hadeston, Bunwell, &c. in Norfolk; (fn. 44) he married Joan, daughter of William Appleyard of Dunston in Norfolk, (fn. 45) and had
12. John Jernegan, senior, Esq. who married Agnes, daughter of Sir John Darell of Kent, Knt. who died before him, and was buried in St. Mary's chapel, in the priory of St. Olaves, at Heringfleet in Suffolk, (now called St. Tooley's Bridge.) This John settled Horham on John Jernegan, junior, his son and heir, on his marriage with Isabell, daughter of Sir Jervace Clifton, in 1459; when he left Somerleton to his son, and went and settled at Cove by Beccles, where he lived in 1465; and in 1473 made his will, (fn. 46) which was proved 9th Dec. 1474, by the name of John Jernegan, senior, of Little-Wirlingham in Suffolk, Esq. in which he ordered his body to be buried by his wife in the aforesaid chapel, where his progenitors were entombed; he gave Little-Wirlingham manor, which he lately purchased of William Cove, to his son Osbert, for life, and his manor of Wattle or Wad-Hall in North-Cove; and to John, his eldest son, the manors and advowsons of Somerleton, Stonham-Jernegan, Horham, and Bradwell, and the foundation (i. e. advowson) of the house of St. Olave, besides gifts to his three daughters that were nuns. At his death,
13. John Jernegan, Esq. his son, succeeded, and died in 1503, seized of the aforenamed manors and advowsons; (fn. 47) leaving
14. Edward Jernegan, Esq. his son and heir, who was afterwards knighted; he had two wives; first Margaret, (fn. 48) daughter of Sir Edmund Bedingfield of Oxboro in Norfolk, Knt. by whom he had Sir John Jernegan of Somerley-Town in Suffolk, Knt. who married Bridget, daughter of Sir Robert Drury of Halsted in Suffolk, Knt. from whom the Jernegans of Somerley-Town in Suffolk descended; and for his second wife, Mary, (fn. 49) daughter of Richard Lord Scroop, Knt. of Bolton in Yorkshire, and coheir (fn. 50) to Stephen, her brother, who survived him, and remarried to Sir William Kingston, (fn. 51) Knight of the Garter, who had Sir Henry Jernegan of Huntingfield, Knt. the founder of the Cossey family; Sir Edward died Jan. 6th, 1515, seized of the manors of Horham, Newton, Corton, Stonham-Jernegan, Somerleton, Wathe, Lowestofft, East, West, North, and South Lete in Gorleston, Mutford, Askeby, &c. and is said to be buried in Somerleton chancel, by his wife.
15. Sir Henry Jernegan of Huntingfield in Suffolk, eldest son and heir of Sir Edward by his second wife, he was a favourite of Queen Mary, being the first that appeared openly for her, after the death of Edward VI. being with her at Kenninghall place or castle; (fn. 52) and continued her trusty friend, for which services she made him Vice-Chamberlain, and Master of her Household; and in 1547, the said Queen, and King Philip her husband, gave him this manor of Cossey, with the whole park and deer therein, with all its members, rights, privileges, and appurtenances in Cossey, Erlham, Bowthorp, Easton, Colton, Merlingford, Baber, Eston, Honingham, Thorp, &c. in the said county, to be held by him and his heirs in capite, by knight's service: (fn. 53) from which time it hath passed in a lineal descent, in this ancient family. He married Mary, daughter of Sir George Baynham, Knt. and died in 1571, leaving
The Lady Jernegan, his wife, the estate for life, who this year was found to be possessed of it; in 1572,
16. Henry Jernegan, Esq. their son and heir, was lord of Cossey, Veales, Sileham, Wingfield and Lowistoft manors in Suffolk; he married, first, Eleanor, daughter of William Lord Dacres of Gillesland, and after that, Frances, daughter of Sir John Jernegan of Somerleton, Knt. widow of Thomas Bedingfield, Esq.; in 1602, he had an act passed to sell certain lands in Norfolk and Suffolk, and died June 15, 1619, and was buried in St. Margaret's church, Westminster.
17. Henry Jernegan, Esq. his son, was created baronet 16th Oct. 1621; he married Eleanor, daughter of Thomas Throgmorton of Laughton in Warwickshire, Esq. and dying 5th Sept. 1646, was succeeded by
18. Sir Henry Jernegan of Cossey, Bart. his grandson, his father,
19. John Jernegan, Esq. dying in his grandfather's lifetime, who, in 1619, married a daughter of Francis Moor of Fawley, Bart.
This Sir Henry married Mary, (fn. 54) daughter of Hall of High-Mcadow in Gloucestershire, Esq. who left
20. Sir Francis Jernegan of Cossey, Bart. who was lord in 1693; he married Anne, daughter of Sir Walter Blount, Bart. and sister of Sir Walter, by whom he had several children; both are buried here.
21. Sir John Jernegan, Bart. his eldest son, succeeded him, and married Margaret, daughter of Sir Henry Bedingfield of Oxboro, Bart. sister to the present Sir Henry Bedingfield, who is now  living; but at the death of Sir John, without issue, Cossey, &c. went to his brother,
22. Sir George Jernegan, Bart. the present  lord, who resides at his seat here.
The Church was dedicated in honour of the holy King Edmund, and had three gilds in it, one of St. Edmund, another of St. Mary, and the third of St. John Baptist, and a portion of tithes here was given by Alan, sirnamed the Black, Earl of Richmond, to the cell of monks, which he founded at Rumburgh in Suffolk, and with that cell was given by him to the abbey of St. Mary at York, which was always patrons of it, together with divers services, the whole being valued at six marks a year; in 1282, the Abbot and Convent of St. Mary at York made a perpetual composition, with the master and brethren of St. Giles's hospital at Norwich, for their portion here, which consisted of two parts of the tithes of the demean lands of the Earl of Britanny in Cossey, for which the master and hospital was to pay six marks a year to the Prior of the cell at Rumburgh, which was constantly paid till the dissolution of that cell by Cardinal Wolsey; and in 20th of Henry VIII. was granted to that cardinal to settle on one of his colleges either at Ipswich or Oxford.
The advowson of the church, with those of Huningham, Bawburgh, and the mediety of Berford, and 10l. per annum rent out of Cossey manor, were given by Alan de Rohan to the abbey of Bon-Repos, or De Bona Requie in Brittanny or Normandy, and it was confirmed by Henry III. in 1226; and soon after the Abbot of Bon-Repos leased the churchesand the advowsons to the Abbot of Sautre in Huntingdonshire, viz. Fulbourne, All-Saints, Fen-Draiton, Cossey, and Huningham, for ever, with all their revenues there, except the 10l. per annum out of Cossey manor, at 80l. per annum; and after this, the Abbot of Sawtree, for a pension of 5 marks a year, confirmed and granted the advowson to the master and brethren of St. Giles's hospital in Norwich, who got it appropriated to them before 1280, for it was returned to be held by that hospital appropriated to them, there being a house and 60 acres of land belonging to it worth 10 marks, but it was not taxed; the synodals were 2s. 2d. Peter-pence 18d. carvage 7d. ob. it was then newly appropriated, for the first and only vicar that I find was not instituted till
1304, 13 kal. Sept. and then Robert de Bereford was instituted into the vicarage, which was then to be assigned and ordained by the Bishop, at the presentation of the master and brethren of St. Giles's hospital in Norwich, who prevailed with the Bishop, who was patron of the hospital, to permit them to serve it by a chaplain removable at their pleasure, and so there was no vicarage assigned, and consequently no presentation afterwards.
I meet with the name of one rector only.
In 1213, William de Gray, the King's Chancellor, and afterwards Archbishop of York, was presented to it, Dec. 3, being presented to it by the King on account of the honour of Brittanny.
The 10l. rent that belonged to Bon-Repos abbey came to the Crown with the revenues of the aliens, and was granted with the manor to the Poles, and was always taxed at 10l. and so paid 20s. to every tenth.
The Prior of Rumburgh always paid the tenths of his portion that he had from St. Giles's hospital, for the farm of his portion here.
The Abbot of Langele was taxed at 23s. 6d. for his temporals here.
In 1380, John de Foxele and others aliened to the hospital of St. Giles in Norwich, a messuage, 48 acres of land, and four acres of pasture in Calthorp, Lodne, Mundham, Sislond, Hardley, Cossey, and Reppes.
This town always paid 2l. 10s. to each tenth.
At the Dissolution the impropriation went with St. Giles's hospital, which was refounded, and was given to the Corporation of the city of Norwich, who now hold it, as belonging to the hospital, it being a donative in their gift, the curate being paid 40l. per annum for serving it.
In the answers of the parsons in 1603, Thomas Cleybourne, clerk, was curate, and there were 176 communicants; the benefice was returned to be impropriate, but was endowed with a mansion-house, (now in decay,) and was called a donative, the impropriation belonged to the hospital at Norwich, and was leased to the curate.
1448, Jeffry Pitwyn, chaplain, was buried in the chancel.
1470, Sir John Williams.
1603, Thomas Cleybourne.
1605, James Lovell.
1625, Mr. Crompton, minor, buried here 27th Dec.
1635, Richard Wythe.
1648, James Shepherd.
1670, Samuel Stinnet, minor, buried.
1672, John Connold, buried here.
1709, Mr. John Laurence, who had Horsford.
1739, the Rev. Mr. John Burcham, rector of St. Simon's in Norwich, is the present curate.
The church consists of a nave only, which is leaded, the chancel is thatched; it hath a square tower and five bells; on the screens are the arms of Jernegan carved; on a north chancel window are the arms of Ufford, and an emblem of the Trinity. There are grave-stones in the chancel for,
Charles Waldegrave of Catton, Gent. July 17, 1685.
Here lieth the Body of Sir Henry Waldgrave of StanningHall Bart. Son and Heir to Sir Edward Waldgrave Knt. and Bart. and Elenor his Wife, Daughter to Sir Thomas Lovell of Harling, he married Anne Paston Daughter of Edward Paston of Appleton Esq. by whom he had VII. Sons and IIII. Daughters, and secondly he married Catherine Bacon, Daughter of Richard Bacon Gent. by whom he had six Sons and six Daughters, he died the 10th. of October 1658, aged 60 Years.
Walgrave's arms and crest, viz. a plume of feathers.
Here resteth the Body of Frances Layer the Wife of Thomas Layer of Booton Esq. and eldest Daughter of Sir Edward Waldegrave of Stannynghall Knt. who left behind her 3 Sons, Edward Layer, Francis Layer and Charles Layer, who departed this Life upon the 26 Day of March 1629, whose Soule Jesus rests.
Englefield's coat in a lozenge, but falsely cut.
Hic jacet Dua: Elizabetha Englefield, illustri ex utroque parenti orta, prosapia sed morum splendore illustrior, utpote antiquæ Fidei Zelo, pietate in Deum, benignitate in pauperes, et in proximos omnes caritate insignis, vitam Christianam transactam Christiano fine conclusit, nordovici Martij Die 16 Anno Dni: 1705, Ætatis suæ 70.
Requiescat in Pace.
Martha Wife of John Hyrne Gent. Dec. 6. 1698. Æt. 60.
Martha Wife of John Turner Daughter of John Hyrne of Cossey, Jan. 5. 1696 aged 20 Years.
By the chancel door,
Hic iacet Thomas Pargiter Ao Dni. cuius Anime propicietur Dcus Amen.
In the middle isle,
Annœ depositum, noli turbare Viator, Pace frui liceat, pacis amica fuit; Non Brownistarum perverso Dogmate Cœlos, More sed antiquo, scandere cura fuit, Quam pluries simulant Pietatem, semper amavit, Brownea, chara Viro, Brownea chara Deo, Exemplum Pietatis habes Matrona pudica, Vivere disce, viro, vivere disce Deo.
Obijt 28° Junii 1642.
Daniel Son of Ralf and Mary Palmer 8. Dec. 1669.
Orate pro Anima Jsabelle Yemys cuius Anime propitietur Deus Amen.
Wraye for the Soule of William Wood the helder the which de ceased Ao Dni: Mo vC. rrriii. on whose Soule Jesu have Mercy.
John Hyrne of Cossey Gent. 28 Febr. 1689. Æt. 65.
1575, Margaret Tilney buried.
1615, Frances Wife of Henry Jernegan, Esq. buried.
1616, John Waldgrave, Gent. buried 4 March.
1617, Robert Tilney and Agnes Rose married.
1617, John Tilney, buried 19 May.
1626, Jeronima Waldegrave, buried 4 Febr.
1646, Henry Jernegan, Baronet, buried 5 Sept.
1654, Tho. Turner, senior, of Norwich, Gent. buried in the church 5 Nov.
1676, Catherine, Daughter of Richard Waldegrave, Esq. buried 23 Sept.
1685, Anne, Widow of Mr. Charles Waldegrave of Catton, buried 30 Sept.