A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1925.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Massiche (xiv cent.); Meres (xvi cent.); Marrishe, Marsh (xvii cent.).
Langley Marish or Marreys alias Langley Muntfichet derives its present distinctive name from Christine de Marisco, who held it on lease from the Crown from 1282 to 1311. (fn. 1) It is a parish with an area of 3,799 acres, of which 1,062 are arable land, 1,366 are permanent grass and 701 are woods and plantations. (fn. 2) The slope of the land varies between 86 ft. and 237 ft. above ordnance datum. The soil is loam and clay, the subsoil clay and gravel. A detached part of the parish is now included in the ecclesiastical parish of Colnbrook. (fn. 3) The village has a station on the main line of the Great Western railway, which runs south of and parallel to the Slough branch of the Grand Junction Canal. There are large brickworks in the neighbourhood of the station and canal. To the north of the parish lies the Black Park, so called from the fir trees which almost entirely cover its area of 530 acres; the sequestered walks lead to a fine but somewhat gloomy lake. South of it on the other side of the Uxbridge to Slough road lies Langley Park, (fn. 4) the seat of Sir Robert Grenville Harvey, bart. It is famed for its beautiful cedars, its oak avenue and its herd of white deer. The house is a square stone building, upon which the trustees of John first Duke of Marlborough were enabled by Act of Parliament to spend £2,000 yearly for five years in order to provide a residence on the family estates within easier distance of London than Blenheim. (fn. 5) In the grounds is a late 17th-century orangery of brick, now used as a museum, and a dovecot and some detached outbuildings of the same date also remain.
The straggling village of Langley lies to the south of the parish, and the church, vicarage and school stand near together. There are several interesting buildings of the 16th and 17th centuries, notably the Red Lion and the George Inns which retain many of their original features. To the south of the church is a rectangular block of almshouses, consisting of four tenements, which were founded by Sir John Kedermister or Kidderminster in 1617, as described on a tablet over the entrance archway, on which are the arms of Kidderminster. The building is of brick with cemented dressings and is two stories in height, the upper story being partly within the roof and lighted by gabled dormers. North of the church are the almshouses founded by Henry Seymour in 1679, and further endowed by his will in 1687. The four central tenements are built in the same style as the Kidderminster almshouses, but the tenements at either end were probably added after 1687. Both ranges have chimney stacks of brick with shafts set diagonally, and are interesting examples of 17th-century brick-work.
To the north-west of the church, near the house so named, are the Trenches, which are supposed to have been made in the time of the Civil War. The mound, some 100 yards to the north and covered with trees, is easily discernible from the railway. Further to the west is Middle Green, with some good residential houses, including the Grange.
The hamlet of Horsemoor (fn. 6) Green lies to the south-east of Langley village. Eastward of the green, surrounded by a large lozenge-shaped moat, is Parlaunt Park Farm. (fn. 7) The old-fashioned English garden, with its long grass walk and sundial, contains the cellars of an early 17th-century building. These were minutely described by Lady Hertford in 1741 (fn. 8) and discovered from her description in 1846. (fn. 9) The farmhouse itself is an L-shaped late 16th-century building with later additions. Langley Place, to the north of the hamlet of Horsemoor Green, and Rowley Farm, some 2 miles north of the village, are both of interest and contain a considerable amount of work of the late 16th and 17th centuries.
George Green, a hamlet about a mile north of the village, contains a farm-house and a number of cottages of the 16th and 17th centuries, which, although retaining a good deal of original work, have been much altered and added to in later times.
There are traces of the religious troubles of the 16th century in connexion with the parish of Langley Marish. The parish register shows that six persons were excommunicated in two years from 10 September 1682 and two in 1732. (fn. 10)
Sir Richard Hobart lived at Langley, and in 1646 paid a fine of £400 for delinquency. (fn. 11) His wife Dorothea (fn. 12) was sister to Dr. Henry King, Bishop of Chichester, who resided with his brother-in-law during the Long Parliament. (fn. 13)
This parish was inclosed in 1809, when an allotment of land not exceeding 6 acres was made for public stone and gravel-pits. (fn. 16) In 1895 part of Langley Marish was included in the new civil parish of Gerrard's Cross. (fn. 17) In 1901 another portion was taken to form the civil parish of Slough, part of Upton-cum-Chalvey being transferred at the same time to Langley. (fn. 18)
The following place-names have been found in this parish: Bodhill, Estchanlowe, (fn. 19) Halkingcroft (fn. 20) (xiv cent.); Chapmansvill (fn. 21) (xv cent.); Burgett, (fn. 22) Stile's, (fn. 23) Washington's, (fn. 24) Annette, Billinge, Daw's Moor, Gatewick's, Kypping Lane End, Montfichet Down, Prestwick's (Assart named in 1224), (fn. 25) Readinge Grove, Rowley Close (fn. 26) (xvii cent.).
LANGLEY MARISH is not specifically mentioned in the Domesday Survey, but, as its later history shows, it must have formed part of Wyrardisbury Manor, then assessed at 20 hides. (fn. 27) During the 12th century it emerged from the parent manor, paying £8 15s. 6d. in tallage in 1206. (fn. 28) The overlordship of Langley descended with that of Wyrardisbury (q.v.). The descent of the two manors also corresponds for nearly five centuries and is given under Wyrardisbury Manor (fn. 29) (q.v.). The following divergences have been noted in the case of Langley. It was granted in fee farm for twelve years to Sir Philip de la Vache in 1400; the rent being allotted to the queen's use in 1403, with the reversion of the manor at the end of the term. (fn. 30) Also this manor was not granted to Sir John Fray in the middle 15th century. In 1627 Langley Manor was granted to Sir Edmund Verney. (fn. 31) He sold it in 1630 to Sir Marmaduke Darrell and his son Sir Sampson. (fn. 32) Marmaduke, Sir Sampson's son, sold it to Sir Henry Seymour in 1674. (fn. 33) He died in March 1686–7, (fn. 34) and Langley passed to his only son Henry, (fn. 35) who had been created a baronet five years previously at the age of seven. (fn. 36) On his death in 1714 his cousin and heir Sir Edward Seymour, bart., (fn. 37) sold the manor to Lord Masham. (fn. 38) Charles Duke of Marlborough purchased it from Lord Masham in 1738, (fn. 39) and his son conveyed it in 1788 to Sir Robert Bateson Harvey, bart. (fn. 40) His great-grandson (fn. 41) Sir Robert Grenville Harvey, bart., is the present owner.
References to Langley Park are found as early as 1280. (fn. 42) In 1285 Christine de Marisco obtained a grant for life of the park, which had been excepted from the previous grant of the manor. (fn. 43) In 1302 she was allowed to use oak timber from the park for the benefit of Ankerwycke Priory. (fn. 44) In the 14th and 15th centuries the parker was separately appointed, (fn. 45) but later his office was frequently combined with the stewardship of the manor. (fn. 46)
In 1605 an exhaustive survey showed culpable neglect. (fn. 47) With the exception of one oak all the trees were beeches, and of these only 738 were of any use for timber; 3,948 'great beechen trees' had been so shamefully hacked that the greater number 'are in a manner quite consumed and rotten unto their very roots,' and of the remainder 'so will the most part rot and consume also in a very short time.' (fn. 48) A great improvement had been effected in three years by Edmund Kidderminster, (fn. 49) who planted, levelled and drained at his own cost in addition to rebuilding the lodge. (fn. 50) In recognition of these services after his death in 1607 (fn. 51) his son John was made keeper of the park. (fn. 52) He was knighted in the following year, (fn. 53) and in 1626 Langley Park was granted to him as a distinct estate for a yearly rent of £150. (fn. 54) Sir John Kidderminster died in 1631. (fn. 55) His daughter and heir Elizabeth married Sir John Parsons, (fn. 56) and their son William succeeded his father in 1653 and was created a baronet in 1661. (fn. 57) He died soon after, and in 1669 his executors sold Langley Park (fn. 58) to Sir Henry Seymour. (fn. 59) He purchased the manor (q.v.) in 1674, and the park has since followed the same descent. (fn. 60)
Reference is made to the view of frankpledge at Langley Marish in 1280, (fn. 61) and the ancient court baron is still held annually. The entries for the court of Queen Elizabeth, wife of Edward IV, held at Langley in 1472 are extant. (fn. 62)
The 14th-century custumal of this manor exists. (fn. 63) Some copyholders paid their second best beast as heriot to the lord of this manor at any decease, but a wife who held her husband's lands for life was exempt from this payment. (fn. 64) The metes and bounds of the manor in 1605 are extant. (fn. 65)
ALDERBOURNE MANOR, which lies chiefly in Langley, but extends also into the neighbouring parishes of Denham and Iver, had its origin in an assart given by Martin de Capella (fn. 66) to Ankerwycke Priory. (fn. 67) It formed part of the foundation grant of Gilbert de Muntfichet. (fn. 68) Alderbourne remained with the priory (fn. 69) until the Dissolution, when it was worth £3 16s. 8d. yearly. (fn. 70) It was included in the foundation grant to Bisham Abbey in 1537, (fn. 71) and soon afterwards leased to John Dorset. (fn. 72) The reversion of the lease was granted in 1539 to Andrew Lord Windsor in tail-male. (fn. 73) The Windsor family retained possession of the manor of Alderbourne on the enforced sale of other Ankerwycke lands to Henry VIII, for in 1589 Henry Lord Windsor was allowed by the Crown to alienate it to Andrew, the representative of a younger branch. (fn. 74) Andrew Windsor died seised in 1621, leaving Alderbourne by will to his nephew Thomas, (fn. 75) who died in 1631. (fn. 76) Alderbourne followed the same descent as Eton Manor (q.v.), but Richard Windsor conveyed it by fine in 1661 to Stephen Thompson and John Parry. (fn. 77) There were various claimants in 1709 to an annuity of £1 2s. 2d. from the issues of the manor, (fn. 78) but by 1769 the whole estate had passed into the ownership of Benjamin Way (fn. 79) of Denham. On the death of his son Benjamin in 1834 Alderbourne went to the younger son, the Rev. Henry Hugh Way. (fn. 80) His son Canon John Hugh Way is the present owner.
Another estate appears in Langley at the end of the 15th century as LEVING (fn. 81) alias PARLAUNT MANOR, which owes its origin to the formation of a new park called at first Langley New Park (fn. 82) and later Parlaunt Park. Sir William Stanley previous to his attainder in 1493 was seised of this estate. (fn. 83) Two years later it was restored to his nephew Sir Edward Stanley for life, (fn. 84) and escheated to the Crown on his death in 1523. (fn. 85) The office of keeper of the park was bestowed in that year on Henry afterwards Sir Henry Norreys, (fn. 86) who in 1531 received a grant in fee-tail. (fn. 87) He was executed in 1536, (fn. 88) and five years later Parlaunt was granted to Sir Anthony Denny. (fn. 89) The reversion to Sir Thomas Heneage was sanctioned by the Crown in 1548, (fn. 90) a transaction in which the Duke of Somerset was concerned (fn. 91) and the occasion of a lawsuit between Edward Duke of Somerset and Sir Arthur Denny. (fn. 92) By the year 1569 Parlaunt passed to the Pagets, (fn. 93) who owned the adjacent manor of Iver. Its descent corresponds with that of Iver (q.v.) until 1743, when Sir William Irby, bart., afterwards Lord Boston, entered into possession by bequest in tail-male from his kinsman, Lord Henry Paget, (fn. 94) first Earl of Uxbridge. (fn. 95) It has remained part of the Boston family estates, (fn. 96) being farmed for many years by members of the Ives family. (fn. 97) A lease was obtained by the late Lieut.-Col. Charles Meeking about the middle of the last century, and this interest is now vested in his granddaughter, Miss Viola Meeking. (fn. 98)
The estate in Langley Marish called SOUTHEND MANOR in 1809 was a recognized part of the royal manor in 1472. (fn. 99) It was leased to Robert Stile in 1581, (fn. 100) and passed on his death in 1626 to the widow of his eldest son Edward, with reversion to his other sons John and Benjamin. (fn. 101) Rights in part of this manor were surrendered by four co-heirs in 1741 to David Morrice, (fn. 102) who in the following year made a settlement of the whole estate. (fn. 103) In 1786 his widow, Jane Morrice, with the Rev. Charles Morrice, conveyed it to James Webb, (fn. 104) whose widow, Elizabeth Webb, owned it in 1809. (fn. 105) In 1827 Mary, probably her daughter, with her husband Christopher Croxford, conveyed Southend Manor to James Millne. (fn. 106) This property has since been dispersed, and the house now called the Manor House belongs to Mr. Joseph G. Randall, of London, while the lands have been purchased by Messrs. Veitch & Sons, of Chelsea.
A property in Langley Marish, sometimes called the manor of GROVES (fn. 107) alias GIBBONS, consisting of a messuage and 104 acres, was held of the royal manor in 1547 by Thomas Smith at a yearly rent of 22s. (fn. 108) In 1716 it was conveyed by Timothy Fox to Lord Masham, (fn. 109) and is specified as Marlborough property in 1745. (fn. 110) The name survives in Grove Farm in Middle Green where there was formerly a large house called Grove House.
The church of ST. MARY THE VIRGIN consists of a chancel 36 ft. by 18 ft., nave 48 ft. 6 in. by 20 ft., continuous north chapel and north aisle 20 ft. wide, south transept, south porch or library, north-west tower 15 ft. square, and west porch, these dimensions being all internal. The south transept and the upper part of the tower are built of brick, but the remainder of the church is built of flint and stone and the roofs are tiled.
The church dates from the 12th century, the nave having been erected in the first half and the north aisle added during the second half of that period. Apparently a little before the church was appropriated by the Dean and Canons of Windsor in 1349 the chancel was rebuilt and a north chapel added; late in the 15th century new windows were inserted in the nave, the chancel arch was rebuilt, and the south porch was added. In 1630 the north aisle, and probably the north chapel, were widened, the windows being reset, and part of the north arcade was replaced by an oak colonnade, while the south transept and the tower were added about twenty years later. Before 1631 the south porch was enlarged to accommodate the library given by Sir John Kidderminster. The west porch was built in 1808, and the whole fabric has been restored at a modern period.
The chancel is lighted from the east by a window of three trefoiled lights, with reticulated tracery under a pointed head, and from the south by three traceried two-light windows, the westernmost of which has a pointed head and modern tracery, while the others have square external heads. All these, though restored with cement, date from the first half of the 14th century, and have internal jamb shafts and moulded rear arches. In the head of the east window are some fragments of original glass. The south doorway, below the central window, has a pointed head and an internal label with carved stops. On the north, opening to the chapel, is a 14th-century arcade of two pointed bays, the moulded arches of which spring from an octagonal pillar and are received upon responds with moulded capitals and bases; the wall here is more than 3 ft. thick. Below the south-east window are three 14th-century sedilia in range with a piscina. The recesses have pointed and trefoiled heads with jambs of two orders, the inner being shafted, while the outer orders, which are common to each pair of recesses, after forking to form an outer order to the heads, are continued vertically to mitre with the string-course which runs beneath the sills of the south and east windows of the chancel. The heads also mitre with the string-course, and the spandrels thus produced are richly foliated. The sill of the piscina, the basin of which no longer exists, is stepped above the sill of the sedilia. The chancel arch is pointed and of two chamfered orders, the inner springing from carved corbels and the outer dying into jambs in which a great deal of material from the 12th-century arch is re-used.
The original external facing of herring-bone flintwork is visible on the west walls of the nave and the west end of the south wall. Internally one pointed stone arch of the original north arcade remains at the west end. The west respond has been rebuilt in brick and cemented, but the east respond, above which can be seen the springers of another arch, is a re-used octagonal pier. Crudely shaped stones take the place of the capitals, but the western respond retains the 12th-century abacus. The entablature of the oak colonnade which has replaced the other arches of the arcade bears the date 1630. The supporting Doric columns, which are placed in pairs, are modern, but the responds are original and have enrichments carved in low relief. The opening to the south transept is filled by an arcade in the Gothic manner of the late 18th century, and in the south wall to the west of this are a three-light window of about 1500 and a pointed doorway, both of which are blocked. In the west wall is a pointed doorway coated with plaster, and above it a three-light 15th-century window repaired externally with cement; the doorway retains a 15th-century door with original strap hinges, which is faced externally with panelling of a much later date.
The north chapel is lighted from the east by a threelight window with a pointed head, the internal jambs and rear arch of which are of the 14th century, but the tracery is modern; on the north are two 14th-century two-light windows with square heads, repaired with cement. These north windows contain some old glass, that in the easternmost, which is mainly of the 14th and 15th centuries, including the monogram H.R., the badge of Henry VII, a crown in a hawthorn bush, two 14th-century shields of England and a shield of Clare, some inscribed scrolls and a figure of a saint. Besides these fragments there is a shield composed of odd pieces of glass of later date, among which are part of a head and the royal arms of the Stuarts incorrectly displayed. The old glass in the other window is all of 14th-century date and includes parts of a border with the letters E.D., and of a shield apparently Barry gules and argent. The north aisle is continuous with the chapel and has two similar north windows. At the west end of the south wall, above the arch to the nave, is a stone corbel of the former roof. The south transept, which contains the fine pew of the Kidderminster family, is lighted by a large window in the south wall, above which, in the gable, is a stone with the arms of Kidderminster and the date 1626. A doorway in the south wall below the sill of the window admits to a passage, cut off from the rest of the transept by a 17th-century screen, which leads to the Kidderminster library. (fn. 111) The library has diagonal buttresses at the southern angles, the eastern of which is built over by the south wall of the later transept. The two plain windows in the south wall are probably of the 17th century, but the fireplace in the west wall blocks a late 15th-century window of two cinquefoiled lights. The library is wainscoted and painted with a variety of designs, including the arms of Kidderminster and their alliances, views of Windsor Castle and Eton College, portraits of Sir John Kidderminster and his wife, and figures of saints. The fireplace and overmantel are claborately decorated with painted figures and arabesques. The chairs in the library include five of Charles II period and two upholstered chairs of later date. The books, which now number about 250, are contained in wainscot presses fitted with doors painted in a similar manner to the rest of the wainscoting. Sir John Kidderminster by his will, proved 7 May 1631, left £20 worth of books to be added to the library which he had 'prepared and adjoined' to the church. Amongst the books are an 11th-century copy of the Gospels written in England and illuminated; a 13thcentury copy of Petrus Riga, Aurora, written in France; a 15th-century missal printed by Ludwig van Reuchen and 'Pharmacopolium,' or the 'Medecine book of John and Mary Kedermister,' 1630, containing an emblazoned pedigree of the Leigh family, ancestors of the Kidderminsters. The remaining works are chiefly theological books of the 16th and 17th centuries. A framed catalogue on vellum dated 1638 hangs in the library. (fn. 112)
The tower is of three stages, with buttresses at the angles and an embattled parapet. The north and west walls are built on the walls of the aisle, but at the east and south the tower is supported by plain arches of plastered brick work. The lowest stage, used as a vestry, has two single lights on the west and a modern north doorway. In the west wall of the second stage is also a single light, while the third stage contains the clock. An original oak staircase leads from this chamber to the bell-chamber above, which is lighted from all sides by round-headed windows flanked by loop-holes in each wall except the south. Above the clock dial on the west face is a small shield painted with the arms of Kidderminster quartering Gules a saltire between four fleurs de lis argent. The roofs, which are plastered below the collars, are probably all of the 17th or 18th century and retain their original tie-beams.
The font is octagonal and probably dates from the early 16th century; the sides of the bowl have enriched quatrefoil panels and the stem has a moulded base. The pulpit, presented by Sir John Kidderminster and dated 1609, is hexagonal and has panelled sides with enriched styles. In the chancel there is a slab with matrices for two shields, and a brass inscription to William and John Wyot, the latter of whom died in 1410. There is also a slab with the matrix for a figure, and a brass inscription to Elizabeth daughter of Roger Giffard of Twyford and wife of Nicholas Clopton, who died in 1434. In the floor of the nave are a slab with the lower part of a small figure and the indent of an inscription; a slab containing a shield with a bow and the initials I.B., and the indents of a man's figure and an inscription, the brasses of which are now in a chest in the vestry, the inscription being to John Bowser, son of Thomas Bowser of 'Coolebroke' (Colnbrook), who died in 1608 'in the 50 yeare of the peace of the Gospel in England,' and the figure that of a man in a long gown and ruff; a slab with the indents of a small female figure in horned head-dress of about 1500, and a shield (Quarterly a cheveron within a quarterly border impaling two lions sitting face to face under one crown) now in the chest in the vestry; an inscription, probably of the late 15th century, to John Boteler, Maud his wife, and Alice their daughter; and a verse to Julian wife of Edward Higgins and daughter of Christopher and Elizabeth Meale, who died in 1603. In the floor between the north chapel and north aisle a brass inscription commemorates Thomas Fabyan, who died in 1565, Jane his wife, who died in 1592, and Thomas their son, who died in 1565. On the north side of the chancel there is a monument with the kneeling effigies of John 'Kedermister,' who died in 1558, Elizabeth (Wilford) his wife, who died in 1590, two sons and three daughters, their son Edmund 'Kedermister,' who erected this monument and died in 1607, his wife Anna, daughter of John Leigh of Addington, who died in 1618 and was buried in the quire of 'West Chester' Cathedral, and their thirteen children. The monument, which bears the date 1599, is flanked by Corinthian columns and surmounted by the arms of Kidderminster, of Kidderminster impaling Wilford, and of Leigh. In the chancel is also a tablet in memory of Sir Edward Cockett, who died in 1626, and there are painted wood tablets to Dorothea daughter of John King, Bishop of London, and wife of Sir Richard Hobart, groom porter to Charles I, who died in 1658; and to Richard Hobart, son of the above, gentleman of the privy chamber to Charles II, who died in 1679. In the chancel floor is a slab with a brass shield of arms commemorating the above-mentioned Edmund 'Kedermister.' There are also slabs to Sir Frauncis Turvile, second son of Ambrose Turvile, kt., and Dame Elenor daughter of the Rt. Hon. William Lord Shandoyse (Chandos), who died in 1623; to Mrs. Mary Pottman, who died in 1656, and to Mrs. Francis Daw, who died in 1692. The name on a slab to a lady, bearing the date 1606, is no longer legible. In the nave is a slab to Sir Edward Cockett, above-mentioned (1626), and in the north chapel one to John Mosyer, 'minister of the Gospel,' who died in 1654. In the chancel there are a number of red and yellow tiles, probably of 15th-century date. The traceried oak screen between the chancel and nave is of late 15th-century date; the cornice is modern. At the west end of the north aisle are the royal arms painted on wood and dated 1625.
There is a ring of five bells, the first by Thomas Mears, 1792, the second, third and fourth by William Wentmore, 1649, and the tenor by Richard Phelps, 1706.
The plate was stolen about thirty-five years ago. It now consists of two chalices, two patens, two almsdishes, one flagon and one bread dish, all modern.
The registers begin in 1663.
The church of Langley Marish was annexed as a chapelry to Wyrardisbury during the first half of the 12th century, (fn. 113) and remained so until 1856, when it was separated and constituted a benefice. (fn. 114) The descent of the advowson is identical with that of Wyrardisbury. (fn. 115) The present owners are the Dean and Canons of Windsor.
The great tithes of Langley were purchased by Mr. Nash of Upton (fn. 116) from the Dean and Canons of Windsor at the end of the 18th century. (fn. 117) His rights remained intact in 1809. (fn. 118) His descendant, John Nash of George Green, was lay impropriator in 1862, (fn. 119) and is represented by his trustees at the present time.
The old almshouses erected by Sir John Kidderminster, kt., for the accommodation of two poor men and two poor women, and endowed by his will, 20 February 1631, (fn. 120) are possessed of an annuity of £15 issuing out of a farm in Dorney and Burnham, 4 a. 3 r., known as Clarke's Close, near Alderbourne, 2 a. or thereabouts in Meadfield, and £1,052 11s. 9d. consols arising from sales of land, also £74 5s. consols, representing a legacy by will of Elizabeth Webb dated 29 January 1817.
The new almshouses, founded by Henry Seymour and endowed by deed 7 April 1679 (enrolled), and further endowed by the founder's will, proved in the P.C.C. 3 May 1687, (fn. 121) consist of six tenements near the churchyard with an orchard adjoining, and are endowed with an annuity of £30 issuing out of an estate called Wycombe Abbey, and £200 consols, representing the redemption in 1864 of a rent-charge of £6 under the will of Henry Seymour, proved in the P.C.C. 5 May 1733; also £167 consols, representing the redemption in 1864 of a rent-charge of £5 for the poor under the will of Anne Seymour, proved in the P.C.C. 20 September 1727.
The almshouses founded and endowed by William Wild by deed 28 September 1839, and further endowed by the founder's will, proved in the P.C.C. 17 April 1850, consist of four tenements for four agricultural labourers or their widows. Trust fund £1,122 19s. consols, producing £28 1s. 4d. yearly. The several sums of stock are held by the official trustees.
In 1623 Sir John Kidderminster, above mentioned, gave a library adjoining the west end of the chapel, as well for the free use of the clergymen of the parish as for all other ministers. The library is regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 15 December 1911, and the collection of books is now vested in trustees.
The Church House Estate, the earliest mention of which appears to be an admission of trustees on the Court Rolls of the manor of Langley Marish, under date 14 October 1778, consists of land with a building thereon, formerly used as a school, let at £22 a year, the 'Red Lion' public-house, let at £55 a year, and 1 a. or. 14 p. in Meadfield let at £2 2s. a year, and £100 consols with the official trustees, representing a gift in 1830 by Charles Thomas Depree, churchwarden. The charity is regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 1 November 1898, whereby two-fourths is made applicable for any purposes in connexion with the parish church at the discretion of the vicar and churchwardens, and by an order of 13 January 1905 one-fourth is made applicable in prizes to school children, the remaining fourth being applied for the benefit of the poor generally.
The other charities are for the benefit of the poor generally. In 1757 Henry first Viscount Palmerston. by will proved in the P.C.C., directed the sum of £150 to be invested in land, the income to be applied for the benefit of four poor widows. A sum of £4 4s. a year was at one time voluntarily paid in respect of this legacy, although regarded as void under the Mortmain Act. It is now many years since this charity was applied.
Upon the inclosure of the parish in 1809 2 a. 2 r. 34 p. in Meadfield were awarded in exchange for land purchased with a gift by Dame Ann Dorell; 4 a. or. 11 p. at Foxborough for land purchased with a gift by Benjamin Chert; 1 r. 2 p. in Meadfield in lieu of land in the common field belonging to the poor; also 19 a. 1 r. in Horsemoor Green was allotted to the poor, and £281 3s. 11d. consols with the official trustees produce £27 9s. 4d. yearly, known as the poor's stock or the investment of William Collins Jackson, in consideration of certain waste land awarded to him. The rents and dividends are applied for the general benefit of the poor.
In 1735 William Reddington by will charged his lands in Old Windsor with an annuity of £13 for ever, to be applied in the distribution of bread to ten poor housekeepers of that parish, Langley Marish and Thorpe, Surrey, alternately. The third share of the annuity is duly applied in each of the parishes.
In 1816 John Trelawney by will bequeathed £1,000 consols, one moiety of the income to be applied in winter clothing to fifteen labouring men, 30s. to the vicar, and the remainder in bread. The stock is held by the official trustees, producing £25 a year.
Miss Elizabeth Lydia Cane in her lifetime gave £100 consols, augmented by accumulations to £118 14s. 8d. consols with the official trustees. The charity is regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 17 May 1881, which directs that the annual income, amounting to £2 19s. 4d., shall be applied in maintenance of the Church of England Sunday schools.
In 1844 Thomas Nash, by will proved in the P.C.C., bequeathed £750, the interest to be applied for the benefit of Protestant Dissenting ministers of the Independent denomination. The legacy is represented by £695 17s. 6d. consols in the names of administering trustees, producing £17 7s. 8d. yearly. The charity is regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 5 July 1864.