A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1925.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Soleberie (xi cent.).
Soulbury is a parish consisting of 4,226 acres, of which 855 acres are arable land, 2,948 acres permanent grass, and 77 woods and plantations. (fn. 1) The soil and subsoil are of clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, and roots. The parish is very irregular in shape. A narrow strip of it, stretching to the north-east, borders on Bedfordshire and is bounded for a short distance by Watling Street. This is the highest part of Soulbury, an elevation of 533 ft. above the ordnance datum being reached at one point. The land here is chiefly heath and woodland, including part of Bragenham Wood and Stockgroves Park. Lipscomb, writing about 1840, says that Bragenham, which was formerly a hamlet of Soulbury, 'has long since formed one large grazing farm and manor house with a single tenant,' there being no vestige of village or hamlet. (fn. 2) To the south-west of Bragenham the parish becomes very narrow and is crossed by the Ouzel, which also forms the boundary for some distance. The land in this district is from 253 ft. to 282 ft. above the ordnance datum. To the west of the river and approximately parallel with it is the Grand Junction Canal.
The village of Soulbury is small and scattered. It contains a number of timber-framed cottages, most of which date probably from the 16th and 17th centuries, but all of them have been much altered and added to. Lovett's charity school, built in 1724, is of red brick with gauged dressings and wooden transomed windows. The projections over the doors are supported by carved brackets. At the Green, to the north of the village, are some 17th and 18th-century cottages, mostly refaced in brick.
The manor-house of Chelmscott, the residence of Mr. F. T. Bagshawe, lies near the canal. It contains the remains of what appears to be a 14th-century chapel, which belonged to an adjoining house, the home of the Lucys, now demolished. This chapel was probably built in 1343, when Geoffrey de Lucy received a licence to have a chapel in his manorhouse of Chelmscott. (fn. 3) It was much altered, and probably adapted as a dwelling-house in the 17th century, being used as a farm-house in the middle of the 19th century. (fn. 4) The walls are of stone, with renewals or alterations in brick. Within there are remains of niches and piscinae, and some of the roof beams are ancient.
Hollingdon lies in the west of the parish. There are here a few 17th-century houses, among them Hill Farm, a half-timbered building, now plastered in front, of two stories with a thatched roof; and Clayhill Farm, another half-timbered house with thatched roof.
In the extreme south of the parish is Liscombe Park, which was from the 13th century the home of the Lovetts, but is now the property of Mr. E. W. Robinson. There was a capital messuage standing here as early as 1250, (fn. 5) but the present house was built in the second half of the 16th century. It was much altered in the two following centuries, particularly by Sir Jonathan Lovett in the latter part of the 18th century, (fn. 6) and has been roughcasted. Adjoining it are the remains of a 14th-century chapel, now connected with the house and used as a billiard room. The original windows remain, though much restored. A licence was granted to Robert Lovett in 1304 to found a chantry in the chapel newly built at his manor-house. (fn. 7) Service was performed in it in the 18th century, (fn. 8) and marriages were celebrated in it before the alteration of the marriage laws. (fn. 9) It was later used as a laundry and storehouse.
In the park is a small moated mound.
An Inclosure Act for Soulbury was passed in 1772. (fn. 10)
The main manor of Soulbury, later known as LISCOMBE (Lychescumbe, Lyscumb) MANOR, was held before the Conquest by eleven sokemen, who could sell. (fn. 11) In 1086 Payn held it as 5½ hides and three-quarters of a virgate of William son of Ansculf. (fn. 12) The overlordship of this manor, which formed part of the honour of Dudley, (fn. 13) descended with that of Hoggeston (q.v.), of which manor Liscombe was directly held as late as 1594, (fn. 14) when the last mention of the overlordship occurs.
In 1192 Ralt Gibwin had a knight's fee in Liscombe and Soulbury, (fn. 15) but there is no other trace of this family in Soulbury. In the year 1199 Philip Maunsel is mentioned in connexion with Chelmscott. (fn. 16) By an early and undated charter to Woburn Abbey John Maunsel refers to his and his ancestor's fee in the town of Soulbury, another John Maunsel and Walter Maunsel being among the witnesses. (fn. 17) In the first half of the 13th century Walter Maunsel held a knight's fee in Soulbury, (fn. 18) which is probably the manor of Liscombe, of which John Maunsel was possessed at some time during the same period, (fn. 19) though whether before or after Walter is not evident. Before 1250 the manor was in possession of Geoffrey Maunsel, Alice widow of the said John Maunsel then having dower in it. (fn. 20) In that year William Ingeram brought a suit against Henry Maunsel and others, who had forcibly ejected him from the manor, although it had been demised to him for a term of years by Geoffrey. (fn. 21) Later in the same year Geoffrey gave and confirmed Liscombe to Paul Pever, to be held for the annual rent of a pair of gold spurs. (fn. 22) In 1262 Henry Maunsel quitclaimed one and a quarter knights' fees here to John Pever, (fn. 23) son of Paul, (fn. 24) to be held for the same rent as above. A second John Pever, son of the first, (fn. 25) was a minor in the king's wardship in 1274, (fn. 26) and was lord of Soulbury and Liscombe about ten years later. (fn. 27)
The actual date at which the manor passed to the family of Lovet or Lovett is not apparent, but in 1304 Robert Lovett was lord of Liscombe. (fn. 28) Robert Lovett acquired many small parcels of land in Soulbury about this time, (fn. 29) the earliest conveyance being in 1297, when William de Castello quitclaimed to him a messuage, a carucate of land and 33s. 4d. rent. (fn. 30) In 1314 Robert settled the manor on himself and his wife Sarah in survivorship with remainder to his son John. (fn. 31) William son of John Lovett held the manor in 1364. (fn. 32) The name of Roger Lovett, son of William, (fn. 33) occurs in 1422, (fn. 34) and he presented to the church in 1435. (fn. 35) About 1478 John Lovett, great-grandson of Roger, (fn. 36) died seised of Liscombe, leaving as heir his brother Richard, (fn. 37) who soon after sued the widow, Anne Lovett, for wrongfully detaining deeds relating to the manor. (fn. 38) Richard held the manor till his death in 1505, (fn. 39) his heir being Richard son of his brother William. (fn. 40) Laurence Lovett, son of the second Richard, (fn. 41) afterwards held, (fn. 42) and was succeeded at his death in 1576 by his son Francis. (fn. 43) Francis made a settlement of the manor in 1580, (fn. 44) when he married Anne Crispe (fn. 45); he died in 1594, leaving a son Robert. (fn. 46) Robert Lovett was sheriff of the county in 1610, (fn. 47) and was knighted. (fn. 48) His son Robert was also sheriff, in 1663, (fn. 49) and held the manor until his death, (fn. 50) in 1699, (fn. 51) when Edward Lovett, brother and heir, succeeded him. (fn. 52) Jonathan Lovett, representing a younger branch of the family, to which, in default of male heirs, the inheritance had passed, (fn. 53) held Liscombe in 1743. (fn. 54) He was succeeded by his son of the same name, (fn. 55) who was created a baronet in 1781. (fn. 56) At the death of Sir Jonathan Lovett, without male heirs, in 1812, his daughter Elizabeth inherited Liscombe. (fn. 57) She died in 1855, having left it by will to her cousin Phillips Cosby Lovett. (fn. 58) His son William Gough G. Lovett succeeded in 1891, but died two years later, leaving as heir his brother Percival Cosby Ernest Lovett, (fn. 59) who held until 1907, when he sold the property to Mr. Ernest W. Robinson, the present lord of the manor.
In 1283–4 John Pever claimed view of frankpledge in Liscombe and quittance from suit at the hundred court, alleging that his father and grandfather had also enjoyed these privileges. (fn. 60)
Alwin, a man of Eddeva the Fair, held a manor in Soulbury before the Conquest; in 1086 Gozelin the Breton held it as 1½ hides and one-third of a virgate. (fn. 61) This manor is later known as CHELMSCOTT (Chaumindescote, Chalmundescote, xii cent.; Chelnundescote, Chelmincote, xiii cent.). From the time of the Domesday Survey until 1590 it follows the same descent as the manor of Cublington (q.v.), (fn. 62) but was retained by Richard Corbett when he alienated Cublington, and henceforward descended with Linslade Manor (q.v.), in connexion with which it is mentioned in 1862. (fn. 63) In 1276–7 Geoffrey Lucy was reported to have appropriated to his own use a piece of water in Chelmscott, formerly common. (fn. 64) His descendant received a grant of free warren in his lands here in 1332. (fn. 65) In 1550, when a suit occurred between lessees of the manor, a witness, Richard Hyde, stated that one of the parties, Francis Temple, had leased to him the warren of coneys belonging to the manor for the annual payment of 66s. 8d. and forty couple of coneys. (fn. 66) A mill worth 16s. was included among the appurtenances of the manor in 1086. (fn. 67) When Geoffrey Lucy made proof of age in 1288 one of his witnesses from this parish, John Michel, said that he remembered the year of Geoffrey's birth at Chelmscott because he had sold the said Geoffrey's father a mill six months before and had never received any money for it. (fn. 68) In the suit of 1550, before referred to, 'Stapleford mill' was declared to be parcel of this manor; a mill of this name still exists in the parish.
Two-thirds of a virgate in Soulbury which Hugh de Beauchamp held in 1086 (fn. 69) may possibly have become part of Chelmscott Manor later, since Hugh de Beauchamp's manor of Linslade (q.v.), almost the only other land which he held in this county, was afterwards held, as Chelmscott was, by the Lucys (fn. 70) and their descendants.
Before the Conquest Almar, a man of Brictric, held land in Soulbury which he could not sell but by consent; at the Survey Roger held it of Miles Crispin as 1 hide and 1½ virgates. (fn. 71) This land, later the manor of BRAGENHAM (Bragnam), became attached to the honour of Wallingford with the other holdings of Miles Crispin, (fn. 72) and was held of that honour as late as 1300. (fn. 73) The overlordship is not afterwards mentioned.
The sub-tenant in the 13th century was Henry Danvers, who let the manor as a fifth part of a knight's fee. (fn. 74) In 1284 it was held by John Danvers, who held of John Neyrnut, holding of Reginald de Beauchamp, who held of the Earl of Cornwall. (fn. 75) The names of the mesne lords are not afterwards mentioned, and John Danvers held, apparently direct, in 1302 and 1316. (fn. 76) By 1346 the manor had passed to Robert atte Welle. (fn. 77) In 1388 Sir Reginald Grey de Ruthyn died seised of this manor (fn. 78) which he had settled on himself and his heirs in 1380. (fn. 79) Bragenham was held by the Greys, afterwards Earls of Kent, until the death of Richard Earl of Kent in 1524. (fn. 80) William Sharpe, chaplain to Richard, had held the manor on a life-grant under that earl. (fn. 81) The earl's step-brother and heir, Sir Henry Grey, held the manor in 1526, (fn. 82) but it afterwards came to the king's hands, (fn. 83) a transference which was possibly connected with Sir Henry Grey's refusal to assume the peerage owing to lack of money. (fn. 84) In 1560 the queen granted Bragenham to Richard Champion and John Thompson, (fn. 85) and in the following year it was conveyed by John Thompson and Dorothy his wife to John Saunders. (fn. 86) Thomas Saunders conveyed to John Smith in 1576–7, (fn. 87) and four years later it passed from John Smith to Lawrence Meridale. (fn. 88) Edmund, son of Lawrence, (fn. 89) died seised of Bragenham in 1621 (fn. 90) and his son Edward Meridale held the manor as late as 1659, (fn. 91) in which year he sold it to Richard Reeve. (fn. 92) The manor was in possession of the Theed family by 1702 (fn. 93) and in 1734, the entail having been broken, (fn. 94) the property was purchased of them by the Hon. Charles Leigh, (fn. 95) by whom, apparently, it was bequeathed to his nephew, Edward Lord Leigh of Stoneleigh. (fn. 96) Lord Leigh died in 1786 and his sister and heir, the Hon. Mary Leigh, held Bragenham until her death in 1806. (fn. 97) The estate then passed to the Adlestrop branch of the family, the Rev. Thomas Leigh and James Henry Leigh holding Bragenham in 1806 and 1812. (fn. 98) Chandos Leigh, who succeeded his father James Henry Leigh in 1823, was lord of Bragenham about 1847, (fn. 99) but the property was afterwards sold, and in 1862 Colonel Henry Hanmer of Smewnes in Great Brickhill held it as a farm; he had also extensive brick and tile works here. (fn. 100) Sir Wyndham C. H. Hanmer, bart., still owns land in the parish. A grant of the site of the manor was made to Sir Francis Bryan, kt., and others in 1529 for twenty-one years, (fn. 101) but it was included in the grant of the manor made in 1560 and was afterwards held with it. A windmill was among the appurtenances in 1734. (fn. 102)
Three men of Brictric and a man of Wiga held 3½ virgates in HOLLINGDON (Holendone, Holedene, xi–xii cent.) before the Conquest, and in 1086 the land was held by Payn of William son of Ansculf. (fn. 103) This land probably became absorbed in the manor of Liscombe, also held by Payn, as lands at Hollingdon were invariably included among the appurtenances of that manor. (fn. 104)
At the Survey Countess Judith held a hide and 3½ virgates in Hollingdon, her sub-tenant being Torchil, who had held the land in the time of the Confessor. (fn. 105)
A third entry relating to Hollingdon in 1086 records that Nigel held a virgate there of Miles Crispin. (fn. 106)
In 1291 the priory of Tickford held a messuage and 2 virgates of land in Soulbury which Walter Maunsel had formerly held, and from which a rent of 6s. 8d. was received. (fn. 107) The priory held these lands until it was dissolved (fn. 108); they were granted in 1526, with other of the priory possessions, to Cardinal Wolsey, (fn. 109) and in 1532, after his attainder, to the new college at Oxford. (fn. 110)
The Abbots of Woburn held land in Soulbury from an early date. Stephen granted them view of frankpledge in their lands which they held here of the gift of Henry de Clinton and Hugh Malet. (fn. 111) Later, probably in the early 13th century, John Maunsel granted to them in free alms the land which they had formerly held of him and his ancestors here. (fn. 112) The abbey continued to hold the lands until the Dissolution. (fn. 113)
There remain two other entries in the Domesday Survey concerning holdings in Soulbury, the subsequent history of which is not apparent. Azelina wife of Ralf Tailgebosch held half a hide there of the king, valued at 10s.; two Englishmen held it, as they had done in the time of King Edward. (fn. 114) Lastly, of the land of Lewin of Nuneham, Godwin the bedell held half a hide of the king. Alric Bolest had held it before the Conquest, and he who held in 1086 said that 'after the coming of King William it was forfeit.' (fn. 115)
The church of ALL SAINTS consists of a chancel 33 ft. 6 in. by 19 ft., nave 31 ft. by 20 ft. 6 in., north aisle 51 ft. 9 in. by 11 ft., south aisle 31 ft. 9 in. by 11 ft., west tower 16 ft. by 14 ft. 4 in., and a south porch.
The walls are of red sandstone rubble almost entirely covered with plaster and rough-cast, and the dressings are of sandstone repaired with Roman cement. The chancel, north aisle and porch have angle buttresses, and the nave and aisles plain parapets. The chancel roof is tiled, the remaining roofs being covered with lead.
The original church consisted of a chancel with an aisleless nave. About the middle of the 14th century the chancel was rebuilt and aisles were added to the old nave. In the next century new windows were inserted in the south aisle and the south porch was built. Early in the 16th century, probably soon after the grant of the church to Woburn Abbey, the arcades of the nave were rebuilt and the north aisle was extended westward, the west tower and the clearstory were built, and new roofs were given to the nave and aisles. A former north porch existed, the line of the roof being visible over the north doorway of the aisle. In 1863 the church was restored.
The chancel has an east window of three lights with modern tracery. The north wall is pierced by three windows. Of these two are of the 14th century, the eastern of three trefoiled lights with tracery in a pointed head, and the western of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a pointed head. To the west of them is a 14th-century doorway with a two-centred head and a continuous moulding to the head and jambs. At the west end of the wall, low down, is a 15th-century window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a semicircular head, and to the east of it a 14th-century doorway. Beneath the easternmost window is a recess, possibly for an Easter sepulchre, of 14th-century date, with a moulded depressed ogee arch and a label with a foliated finial. In the south wall are also three windows, two of which are of the 14th century. The eastern is of three trefoiled lights with tracery in a pointed head, and the western of two cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a pointed head. The window at the west end of the wall, low down, is modern, except the rear arch and jambs, which are of the 15th century. The western splay of the jamb contains a squint from the south aisle. Beneath the easternmost window are three modern sedilia. All the chancel windows contain fragments of old glass, much of which is of 14th-century date, the middle window on the south side having in the quatrefoil an azure shield, powdered with golden crosses formy. The chancel arch, of 14th-century date, is two-centred and of two chamfered orders with semi-octagonal responds having moulded bases and capitals; the base on the south side is modern.
The nave arcades are each of two bays with fourcentred arches of two moulded orders, supported by a central octagonal pier and responds of the same form, with moulded bases and capitals, the bases raised on plinths seen above the seating. The upper doorway from the 15th-century stair to the former rood-loft is high up in the north-east angle of the nave. The clearstory has two square-headed three-light windows in either wall. The east and north-east windows of the north aisle are of early 14th-century date, of two and three trefoiled lights respectively, with tracery in pointed heads. The two remaining windows in the north wall and that in the west wall are of late 15th-century date, and are of three four-centred lights, with tracery in four-centred heads. The north doorway is of 14th-century date with continuously moulded two-centred head and jambs. To the south of the east window is the lower doorway of the roodloft stair. Beneath the windows is a moulded stringcourse, part of which is original and part restored; at the east end of the north wall is a restored piscina.
The south aisle has a 15th-century east window similar to those in the north wall of the north aisle; to the north of the window is a recess with a trefoiled head, and beneath it is an aumbry with a pointed head. In the north-east corner of the aisle is the opening of the squint to the chancel. In the south wall are two 15th-century windows, each of three cinquefoiled lights in a four-centred head, and to the west of them is a continuously moulded doorway, having an external label. At the east end of this wall, which has an old moulded string-course, is a piscina recess with a cinquefoiled head. The west window is similar to the west window of the north aisle.
The tower is of three stages, with an embattled parapet and an octagonal stair-turret at the south-west angle terminating at the intermediate stage. The tower arch and the arch to the north aisle have hollowchamfered bases, and a continuous outer order. In the west wall is a 15th-century window of four uncusped lights in a two-centred head, and on the south is a similar three-light window. The second stage has a loop light in the west wall, and the top stage has in each wall an opening of three pointed lights in a four-centred head.
The south porch has an embattled parapet and diagonal buttresses. The entrance arch of two chamfered orders; the windows are of two trefoiled lights in a square head, one on each side.
The chancel roof is modern. That of the nave has moulded tie-beams with curved struts and wall posts resting on wooden figures of angels holding shields, on two of which are carved two molets in chief and a pastoral staff with the letters R.H., possibly for Robert Hobbes, Abbot of Woburn (1529). The intermediate tie-beams and the ridge and purlins are also moulded. The roofs of both the aisles and of the south porch are of the same character and have moulded timbers.
The 15th-century font, which has been much restored, is octagonal with quatrefoiled panels.
There are two brasses in the nave. One of them, attributed to John Mallet, who died in 1516, and Alice his wife, has figures of a woman and eight daughters, and the indents of a man, two sons, and of four shields. The other brass has figures of a civilian and a woman in pedimental head-dress and an inscription commemorating John Tournay (Turney), the date of whose death is 1512, and Agnes his wife.
On the south side of the chancel is an elaborate monument to Sir Robert Lovett, kt., and Susan Brookes his wife. It has kneeling figures of the man, his wife and two daughters in costume of the early 17th century, and three shields of the arms of Lovett, of Brookes, and of Lovett impaling Brookes. On the north side of the chancel is the tomb of Robert Lovett, who died in 1699, and of Penelope, daughter of Thomas Aylet, his first wife, who died in 1688, Anne his daughter, and Robert his only son, who died in 1683. The inscription records that his younger brother Laurence is also buried here, that he married as second wife Elizabeth, widow of John Bradshaw, and that the monument was erected by his daughter Lettice, wife of Thomas Pigott. There is a shield of the arms of Lovett impaling on the dexter Azure a fesse embattled between three unicorns' heads razed or, for Aylet, and on the sinister Sable a cheveron ermine between three bulls' heads argent, which are the arms of Sanders.
The walls of the chancel contain a number of monuments to later members of the Lovett family and a small brass tablet to Thomas Lovett, who died in 1491, with a small figure of a knight in armour, two shields, one of the ancient and the other of the modern arms of Lovett, and an inscription below recording that the tablet was originally in the Turville Chapel in Biddlesden Abbey, whence it was removed when the abbey was destroyed in 1704. There is also a tablet to John Sambee, a former minister of the church (d. 1728), and his wife Mary (d. 1723).
There is an oak chest with a curved lid and three locks, dated 1731, in the western part of the north aisle, which is used as a vestry.
There is a ring of six bells: the treble and third are by Henry & Ellis Knight, 1661; the second by Chandler, 1697; the fourth and fifth are by an unknown maker of the first half of the 15th century, and are inscribed ' Sancte Martine ora pro nobis' and 'Sancta Margareta ora pro nobis' respectively; the tenor is by Bartholomew Atton, 1592. There is also a sanctus bell by Richard Chandler, 1714.
The communion plate includes a large cup and paten of 1630 and a large flagon of 1672. There was formerly another paten, which was recently stolen.
The registers begin in 1676.
There is also an account book of 1658, which was restored to the church in 1911.
The earliest mention of the church of Soulbury occurs in 1231, when John Maunsel presented to the rectory. (fn. 116) In the grant of the manor of Liscombe to Paul Pever by Geoffrey Maunsel in or before 1250 exception was made of the advowson, (fn. 117) but it seems to have been given to the Pevers soon after, as in 1274 the king, in the right of John Pever, a minor, recovered it against Henry Maunsel. (fn. 118) In 1291 the benefice was valued at £13 6s. 8d. (fn. 119) It was held by the Lovetts, lords of the manor, until about 1502, when John Mordaunt and Robert Brudenell, presumably trustees of Richard Lovett, received licence to grant the advowson to the abbey of Woburn, (fn. 120) and it was held by this monastery until the Dissolution. (fn. 121) A vicarage was ordained after the conveyance of the church to Woburn, and the abbots presented vicars from 1501 to 1537. (fn. 122) Apparently no vicar was presented after the Dissolution, but the living remained vested in the Crown as a perpetual curacy. Sir Robert Lovett, by will of 1642, granted an annuity of £40 to the living, in addition to the annual sum of £8 allowed by the Exchequer, and, the annuity being continued by subsequent lords of the manor, presentation to the curacy has since been made by them without interference from the Crown. (fn. 123)
The rectory, which was assessed at £13 in 1535, (fn. 124) was leased by the abbey in 1536 for fifty-one years to John Pountes, who in the following year settled it on himself and his sons Thomas and George. (fn. 125) John resided at the parsonage house, which probably dated from the reign of Henry III, when Robert Maunsel, the parson, alienated an acre of land to the church. (fn. 126) On John Pountes' death his widow Emma entered into possession and refused to pay the annnal rent to her son Thomas, 'a poore infant.' (fn. 127)
Edward VI in 1550 granted the rectory to Richard Malory in fee, (fn. 128) but he in 1556 conveyed to Sir Richard Rede, kt. (fn. 129) Sir Richard died in 1576, his son Innocent being his heir. (fn. 130) Innocent had, however, levied a fine of the rectory, (fn. 131) so that he may possibly have held it during his father's lifetime. By 1594 the rectory was in the possession of John Mathew, (fn. 132) who seems to have conveyed part interest to William Norton. (fn. 133) It was held by Bonham Norton, John Mathew and others in 1597. (fn. 134) In 1608 Bonham Norton quitclaimed his portion of the rectory to Sir Robert Lovett, kt., (fn. 135) and in 1614 John Mathew conveyed his share to Sir Robert also, (fn. 136) the rectory being thus once more united to the manor, with which it has since been held.
There was a chapel at Liscombe, already described.
In 1199 a suit occurred between Eva de Kainets and Philip Maunsel as to a plea of intrusion into the chapel of Chelmscott. (fn. 137) The remains of this chapel have already been referred to.
A chapel formerly stood in Bragenham hamlet, but this, 'being turned to prophane uses,' was pulled down about 1716. (fn. 138)
After the dissolution of the chantries it was found that lands in Soulbury worth 20d. yearly had been given for the maintenance of a light within the town of Soulbury. (fn. 139)
The Stapleford Bridge Trust Estate consists of 20 a. 3 r. of land at Soulbury awarded on the inclosure in 1772 in lieu of lands and rights of common in open and common fields originally vested in feoffees for the reparation of the bridge and other uses, also a small plot of land near the bridge and seven cottages producing a gross income of nearly £60 a year. Also a sum of £112 18s. 1d. consols, and a further sum of £40 consols set aside as a repair fund.
The charity is regulated by schemes of the High Court of Chancery, 26 June 1858 and schemes of the Charity Commissioners, 1887 and 1897. The net income, after payment of insurance, rates, land tax and clerk's salary, is distributed in coal to about sixty recipients.
The charity of Thomas Tarbucks for a sermon on Easter Monday consisted originally of an annuity of 12s. charged by deed, 29 September 1719, upon certain parcels of arable and pasture land then lying in the open fields, of which 10s. was payable to the minister and 2s. to the parish clerk. Upon an inclosure in 1811 the Commissioners awarded 1 a. 1 r. 25 p. in respect of this charity.
In 1660, as appears from the Parliamentary Returns of 1786, Innocent Harris, by will 1660, gave a rent-charge of £5 11s. for the poor. A yearly rent-charge of £2 11s. is now received out of land known as Mead's and Forster's closes, and there are two cottages at Hollingdon producing £7 16s. a year. The net income is distributed in coals.
For the school founded by Robert Lovett and the Rev. John Sambee see article on schools. (fn. 140)