A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
15. THE CELL OF SANDTOFT
The island of Sandtoft, in Axholme, was granted by Roger de Mowbray between 1147 and 1186 to the abbot and convent of York for the support of one monk of their house only. Thomas d'Arcy and Hamelin, earl of Warenne, granted other small parcels of land, with the churches of Nocton and Dunston. (fn. 1) These churches, however, were, between 1203 and 1206, proved to belong to the prior of Nocton Park in a suit with the abbot of York. (fn. 2) Sandtoft appears as a separate cell in 1291, when its temporalities in Corringham deanery were valued at 15s. 10d.; (fn. 3) but probably soon after it was annexed to St. Mary Magdalene's. (fn. 4) Perhaps there was never any actual monastery in the island at all, but only a house for the accommodation of the monk who lived there.
The Cell of 'Henes'
A charter of William, earl of Warenne, of the twelfth century, states that he has given to the brethren of St. Mary's, York, ' Henes' and the moor and marsh about it, to do with as they pleased. (fn. 5) A charter of Roger de Mowbray mentions the gifts of Sandtoft and ' Henes' both. (fn. 6) There is no evidence that there was ever a monastery built at Henes, except a notice of protection 'for the Prior of Henes' on the Patent Roll of 1322, (fn. 7) which possibly may not refer to this place at all.