A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
John Grove, probably in 1680, gave money for apprenticing a poor boy in the woollen trade, and agreed that any residue should be used to provide woollen cloth and clothing for the poor. By a deed of 1705 the sum of £50 was secured for this purpose. (fn. 1) In the 18th and 19th centuries the income was used to distribute cloth and blankets. (fn. 2) Distributions of flannel were made until 1904 when cash was given. The last recorded distribution of cash was in 1974. (fn. 3)
Eliza Rawlings by will dated 1878 gave £50 to the poor, the interest to be distributed at Christmas. After 1942 the income was distributed with Grove's charity. (fn. 4)