A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Otterhampton tithing was recorded in 1180 and the parish remained a single tithing into the 19th century. (fn. 1) Court rolls survive for the main manor for 1540, 1541, and 1546. The court appointed a hayward in 1541 and was concerned with repairs and cases of debt and trespass. (fn. 2) Tenants owed suit of court in 1651. (fn. 3) Tenants of Otterhampton Rumsey owed suit to its manor court in 1671. (fn. 4) There was a pound in front of the church until the 19th century. (fn. 5)
The overseers gave relief in cash and kind in the early 19th century, paid for fostering and schooling pauper children, and also for cleaning the schoolroom. A poorhouse, repaired by the overseers between 1814 and 1836, (fn. 6) stood north of the church and was last recorded under that name in 1861 when it was occupied by three labourers. (fn. 7) In 1989 it was a private house called Wainbridge.
Otterhampton became part of Bridgwater poor-law union in 1836, Bridgwater rural district in 1894, and Sedgemoor district in 1974. (fn. 8)