BHO

Prebendaries: Firle

Pages 30-31

Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: Volume 5, Chichester. Originally published by Institute of Historical Research, London, 1996.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

LIST 16 PREBENDARIES OF FIRLE

PREBEND

Land and tithes in Little Firle (in West Firle). (fn. 1) First reference to Firle as preb. 7 July 1260 (Chart. Chichester nos. 254-5). Vicar choral mentioned 14 Apr. 1300 (ibid. no. 706). See also Inq. Non. p. 356a.

Subdcn.-preb.

Valuation 1291 £5 (Taxatio p. 137b).

PREBENDARIES

William de Rading

Occ. as chapl., not yet canon, 14 Apr. 1247 (Chart. Chichester no. 221) and 27 Aug. 1250 (St Richard p. 29 no. 10). First occ. as canon, by proxy, 19 Apr. 1251 (Walcott, Statutes p. 213). Occ. as this preb., as W. de Rading, 7 July 1260 (Chart. Chichester no. 254). Last occ. as canon, executor of St Richard's will, 2 Nov. 1274 (CPR 1272-81 p. 63).

Richard de la Lynde

Does not occ. as canon. Resigned this preb. before 14 Apr. 1300 (Chart. Chichester no. 704; also 2 Fasti VII 21).

Simon de Fyndon (fn. 2)

Collation by bp. and installation to this preb. 14 Apr. 1300 (Chart. Chichester no. 704; also 2 Fasti VII 22).

Footnotes

  • 1. The church of West Firle (E. Suss.) was granted to the cathedral by Robert, abbot of Grestain, and assigned by bp. Seffrid II to the common fund, 8 March 1198 × c. 17 March 1204, at the same time as the foundation of preb. Wilmington (list 38) (Acta no. 97, also nos. 99-100; see ibid. p. 43).
  • 2. Prob. Findon, W. Suss.