Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
June: 1st Satorday, went to the Parliment; dined at the Bell with 2 Mainwarings Dutton, Fyly, Burrage &c; went to the Committe; then home.
June: 2. Sonday, was not at church, dined at home; cosen Morgan & her sonne with us; past 2 came Saladine, Jones & Cosens; stayd not; past 5 I went with Mainwaring & my 2 daughters to visit daughter Biddolph at Kensington; there were Toveys &c; we supt there; retorned about 9.
3. Monday, went to Parliment; dined at Pryors with Dutton, Sir William Ashurst, Mainwaring, Lawton, Sir Charles Rawleigh, Norris, Blake & Holby; went thence to Committe & home past 9; spoke with Sir William Aston in the alley as I past by his doore.
4. Tuesday, daughter & Tovey came from Kensington to see us past 8, also Tovey's sonne; past 9 I went to Parliment dined at home with Biddolph & G. Mainwaring. Lady Wood & her daughters called past 7; stayd not; I went past 8 to the Bunch of Grapes; there was Wood, Maxwell, Gilmore & 2 more; parted past 10.
5. Wednesday, the fast day; I took phisick; Manley came about brother Peter's businesse; Atwoods man with some writings; in the evening came Sir Edward Wood, Lady &c; stay an houer; then Sir Thomas Mainwaring; he stayd an houer.
6. Thursday, Manley's Partner came about brother Peter & Roger's debts; I went to Parliament; dined with Biddolph, G. Mainwaring, Lord Maserine, Mont Alexander, Sir Charles Haughton, Ferrers, Norris & Hamilton &c; at the Bell; went to the Committe; then with Colt to St Alban's Taverne: Biddolph came to us; we parted past 10.
7. Friday, called on Blathwaite; went to Parliment dined at the Swan in Fish Streete with 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph & Baroby; went to the Committe; then with Biddolph to the Bunch of Grapes; there was Wood, Gilmore & 3 more; then came Cooling, then Mainwaring; we parted past 10; came home.
8. Satorday, I went to Parliment; dined at home with Biddolph, 2 Mainwarings, Roger, sonne Thomas & brother went about 5 to the Tower being desired by Shakerly to come to see him; met his father by the way, in Touer Streete & 2 more with him; met Gardner in the Tower; went to Shakerly saw him & his wife; stayd ½ houer; Biddolph & Mainwaring was with me; Biddolph went to Greenwitch; Mainwaring & I to the Miter neare Guildhall; there was G.Mainwaring Fernehall, Perin, Baroby, Minshall & another; I left them past 8; called on Wood; soe home by 10.
9. Sonday, was not at church; dined at home, Roger with us; in the evening came my sonne & his wife; then Spurstow; we left them; went with Mainwaring & my daughters to Kensington; there was Wood, Lady & daughter; they stayd but awhile; we supt; came home past 9.
10. Monday, Thomas Mainwaring came to speake with Mainwaring we went to Parliment; dined at Beare & Harrow with Lord Stanford, 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph, 2 sons & Lawton; went with Roger to meete Lord Chamberlaine & others at Attorney Generalls chambers, about Knight Harbingers place; met with Puckle in the Temple; then with Humfreys went to the Committe; then to Bishop of Chester's widdow, then home.
11. Tuesday, Leek came to me from his brother I went to Parliament; dined at home with Sir Thomas Mainwaring, his daughters, Lawton, Biddolph, Mainwaring &c; went to the Committe; then to Kensington; came back with Biddolph & Charlotte past 9.
12. Wednesday, went to Parliment dined at Pryors with 2 Mainwarings Biddolph, Norris & Lawton; went to the Committe; home about 8; there was Lady Delamer, sonne & daughters; Wood, his Lady & daughters; Sir Thomas Mainwaring & daughters; they parted about 10.
13. Thursday, went to Parliment dined at Pryors with Lord Stanford, Birch, Done, Cook, 2 Mainwarings sonne, Biddolph went to the Committe; home past 8.
14. Friday, went to Parliment Biddolph Charlotte & I dined at Kensington with daughter Biddolph I called past 7 on Wood at the Cherry Tree; there was Poultney & Corbet; then came Hamilton; I parted about 10; soe did Poultney & Wood.
15. Satorday, went to Parliment sate till past 5; Biddolph, Mainwaring & I dined at Woods; he left us; there was Sir Thomas Mainwaring & daughters; I went with Biddolph to Devill Taverne; there was Mainwaring, Basset, & Coriton; we parted at 9; Mainwaring & I called at Woods; supt, came home.
16. Sonday, was not at church; dined at home; brother cosen Morgan, her sonne & Mainwaring with us; after dinner came Sir Rowland Gwin; then Cockain, Wright, Minshall, Bedisford; Mainwaring my daughter & I went to Kensington at 6; supt there; then came Pyat, his wife, 2 more woomen; they stayd ½ houer; past 8 Mainwaring daughter & I went home.
June 17. Monday, I went to Parliament; dined at home with Bassett, Norris, Lawton, Roger, Biddolph, Mainwaring; after dinner came G. Mainwaring & my sonne; we all parted twixt 5 & 6; I brought Basset to the Committe; retorned by Scotland Yard to speake with Sutton; he was not there; Oneby came out of the cellar to the coach to invite me in; I refused & went home.
18. Tuesday, went to Westminster, dined at Pryors with 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph, Tredenham, Wynne, Bradshaw, Thomson & 2 more; went to the Committe; then with G.Mainwaring to Turtons, Humfreys, Browne at Fleece in Fleet Streete; there was Bradshaw, Fleming, Vicars; past 9 came Biddolph & Mainwaring; I left them at 10.
19. Wednesday, went to the House; dined (past 5) at Sir Thomas Mainwaring with 2 Mainwarings & Biddolph; there was Mrs Shakerley, my daughters, Lady Wood, her daughters, Lady Delamer & others; I went past 7 to the Fountaine; there was Sir Robert Owens, & Hooks & my sonne; then came Biddolph & Mainwaring; we parted at 10.
20. Thursday, Mr Hobs came to see my leg; I went to Parliment; dined at home with Biddolph & brother went to the Committe past 5; then called on Lady Wood (with Biddolph) soe home.
21. Friday, Fowler came to discourse of a coach for Chester; I went (with Mainwaring ) dined with Sir John Wynne, Bulkley, Harbert, G. Mainwaring & Carter; went to the Committe & home at 9.
22. Satorday, went to Parliment at 12 (having drank Epsom waters) dined at home with Biddolph &c; went to the Committe; then to the Cellar; there was Sutton & a Scotch Knight; then came Biddolph & Mainwaring the 2 first went first; the rest of us about 10, went home.
23. Sonday, was not at church; dined at home with Minshall, Brewer, Mrs Neale, a stranger, Roger, Cockayne, Wright, Booth &c; they parted after dinner; about 7 I went to Kensington with daughter Mainwaring retorned past 9.
24. Monday, went to Parliment past 12; dined at home with 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph & 2 sons; about 5 I went to the Committe; about 8 with Arnold in a coach to Touers doore; then I went to Bunch of Grapes, there was Wood, Rogers & another; parted before 10.
25. Tuesday, G.Mainwaring & Viccars came to me; also G: Manley & Tranton, to Sir Michael Biddolph; went to Parliment; dined at home; went to Committe; then to the Fleece with G.Mainwaring there was 2 Andertons, Fleming & Vicars; I left them past 9, went home.
26. Wednesday, went to Parliment; dined at home with Mainwaring, Biddolph &c; went to the Committe; then to Lockets; there was 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph, Coling, Lawton & another member; I went home at 10.
27. Thursday, went to Parliment; dined at home with Biddolph & brother went with them (at 6) to Cornelius Cellar in the Cock Pit; then to Westminster Hall, walked awhile with Hamden &c; came home before 9.
28. Friday, Fowler came about hyring a coach; Manley to speake with Mainwaring I went to Parliment; dined at Pryors with Lord Stanford, Montague, Samuell Lawton, Mainwaring & Biddolph went to the Committe; then to Grays Inne, sate awhile in the walks with Ireton; went hence with Dashwood to the Castle; there was Wood, Biddolph, 2 Mainwarings, Cockayne, Wright, my sonne &c; & Minshall; parted before 10, came home.
29. Satorday, went to Parliment; dined at home with Mainwaring brother & 2 sonnes; went with ? General to the Sollicitor; then to Fleece, Mainwaring came to us; parted before 9; he went to take Post; I called on Wood, Rogers & 2 more at the Bunch of Grapes, came home past 10.
30. Sonday, went to Hampton Court with Biddolph, G.Mainwaring & Wood; dined at Pontacks, sonne, Cockaine & Wright with us; went to Court agen about 5, kissed the King's hand; retorned in the evening; sonne & G.Mainwaring supt; Cockaine & Wright came after supper; parted past 10.