Ancient and Historical Monuments in the City of Salisbury. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(239) House, No. 40 Milford Street, demolished in 1958, was of two storeys with tile-hung timber-framed walls and tiled roofs; it was of the late 16th or early 17th-century. The S. wing, of c. 1800, occupied a plot shown empty on Naish's map of 1716. The original building comprised two parallel N.-S. ranges, each three bays long. The first floor was formerly jettied to N. and W., but the jetties had been under-built.
(240) House and Cottage, Nos. 42 and 44 Milford Street, are respectively of three and two storeys and have brick walls and tiled roofs. They are largely of the late 17th century, but the ground floor of No. 42 appears to include the remains of a 15th-century structure. In the N. front plaster rustication masks the lower storey of No. 42; above, a projecting window with a shaped lead roof with a ball finial, symmetrically arranged sashed windows and a moulded eaves cornice provide a facade of some dignity for what may originally have been a humble dwelling. Inside, the ground-floor room of No. 42 is spanned by a deeply chamfered beam. The N. room on the first floor has a moulded plaster cornice and late 17th-century joinery. The roof of a two-storeyed rear wing, demolished in 1974, had a collared tie-beam truss with a king-strut. In No. 44, a large chimneybreast against the E. wall of No. 42 was built with reused ashlar blocks. A chamfered oak beam supporting the first floor was also reused. Both dwellings were modernised in 1974.
(241) Cottage, No. 46, of two storeys with timber-framed walls faced with brickwork and with a tiled roof, is of early 15th-century origin. It was much altered in the 19th century and again in 1974. The roof has been raised, but an original gable truss surviving at the W. end has a cambered tie-beam and curved angle braces.
(242) House, Nos. 56–8 Milford Street, of three storeys with brick and timber-framed walls and with tiled roofs, is of late 16th or early 17th-century origin. The four-bay N. front, with plain sashed windows in each storey, was added in the 18th century; a modern shop window replaces two bays of the lower storey. Inside, some stout timber posts and fragments of 17th-century panelling are seen, also an 18th-century bolection-moulded fireplace surround. In the 19th century the building was divided into several tenements. It is now a workshop.
(243) House, Nos. 42–4 Culver Street, demolished in 1973, was two-storeyed and had brick-faced timber-framed walls and a tiled roof. The building was probably of 16th-century origin, but it had been extensively rebuilt in the 18th century when it was divided into two dwellings.
(246) Factory, demolished in 1974, of two storeys with a cellar, had brick walls and an iron roof. Although much altered the building was probably of 18th-century origin. The cellar had an elliptical brick vault.