Saturnii, 25 Die Januarii, 1605
Fees in Courts.
1. Reading: - THE Bill, what Fees shall be paid Fees by the Plaintiff and Defendant, for Copies out of every Court of Record, or Office belonging to any Court of Record.
2. Reading: - The Bill to make good Grants, and other Conveyances andAssurances, made by Corporations, notwithstanding the Misnaming of the same Corporations:
- Mr. Secretary Herbert, Mr. Solicitor, Mr. Wyseman, Sir Dan. Dun, Sir Rich. Spencer, Sir Nath. Bacon, Sir John Bennett, Sir John Scott, Mr. Prowse, Sir Tho. Ridgeway, Sir Roger Owen, Sir H. Billingsley, Sir H. Hubbard, Mr. Hedley, Mr. Parkinson, Mr. Hyde, Sir Valentyne Knightley, Mr. Fuller, Sir Fr. Bacon, Sir H. Nevill, Mr. Wentworth, Sir Geo. Smyth, Mr. Hall: - Thursday, Temple Hall.
Bill for the Sale of the Lands of Sir Jonathan Trelawny, delivered to Sir Tho. Ridgeway, and Committees.
Bill for the Relief of the Poor, delivered to him likewise.
Mr. Solicitor reports the Proceeding of the Sub-committee, for the Articles against Recusants.
The General Committee to confer with the Sub-committee, and to receive from them what they have done, and to have the Bill for the Oath of Supremacy this Afternoon, in this House. - The Bill delivered to Mr. Solicitor.
Lady Cave: Sir Jonathan Trelawny: - Thursday, Temple.
The Bill for the better Execution of penal Statutes : - Reported by Mr. Martin, that the Committee did not meet: And delivered in the Bill, and prayed another Day.
Yearly Thanksgiving on 5 Nov.
3. Reading: - The Bill for a publick Thanksgiving to be given to Almighty God, every Year, on the Fifth 5 Nov: - And passed, upon the Question. -
And to the End, &c. that this " our" -
Quest. Whether " our," or " their;" or both left out?
- or bo * * *
Mr. Secretary Herbert, Sir Edw. Mountague, with divers others of the House, carry up the Bill of Thanksgiving to the Lords.
2. Reading : - The Bill to assign and confirm the Sale of certain Lands, lying within the County of Middlesex, to Tho. Lake Knight, and Dame Mary his Wife: - Mr. Solicitor, Sir H. Mountague, Sir Tho. Ridgeway, Sir Walter Cope, Sir Mich. Hicks, Mr. Brock, Sir Wm. Slingsby, Sir Geo. Moore, Mr. Fr. Moore, Sir Maurice Berkley, Sir John Hungerford, Sir Nich. Saunders, Sir Vincent Skynner, Mr. Brook, Sir Edw. Hobby, Sir Roger Aston, Sir Hen. Nevill, Mr. Parkinson, Sir John Hollis, Sir H. Poole, Mr. Alford, Sir Oliver St. John, Mr. Wyseman, Mr. Edw. Seymour, Mr. Fuller, Mr. Martin: - Friday, Temple, Parliament Chamber.
2. Reading: - The Bill for the Enabling of John Hotham Esquire, and John Hotham, his Son, to convey certain Lands, for a Jointure of such Wife, as John, the Son, shall marry : - Sir Tho. Hobby, Burgesses of York, Sir John Mallorie, Mr. Cole, Sir John Bennett, Mr. Wyseman, Mr. Parkinson, Mr. Tate, Sir Geo. Selby, Sir Wm. Slingsby, Sir Geo. St. Poole, Sir Timothy Whittingham, Sir Fr. Eure, Mr. Fr. Moore, Mr. Edmonds, Sir H. Savill, Mr. Hedley, Sir John Sheffield, Sir Edw. Swyft, Mr. Talbott Bowes, Mr. Edm. Sheffield, Mr. Alford: - Saturday, Temple.
Prisoners brought up.
John Carye, Tho. Percy, Two Pages, Prisoners in the Serjeant's Charge, brought to the Bar; and, for beating one upon the Stairs, the House did think it fit, that Carye should be whipped.
One to be whipped.
Upon a Question. To be whipped in the Townhouse by the Beadle of Westminster. And Percy discharged.
Married Men in Colleges.
2. Reading: - The Bill prohibiting the Resiance of married Men with their Wives and Families in Colleges, Cathedral Churches, Collegiate Houses, and Halls of the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge: - Mr. Secretary Herbert, Sir Lewys Lewknor, Mr. Sam. Lewknor, Sir Wm. Burlacy, Sir Edw. Herbert, Sir Dan. Dun, Sir Tho. Lake, Mr. Solicitor, D. Steward, Sir Edwyn Sandys, Sir Tho. Freak, Sir Oliver St. John, Sir Maurice Berkley, Sir Fr. Hastings, Mr. Serjeant Barker, Mr. Tolderby, Mr. Martin, Sir Geo. Moore, Sir Edw. Hobby, Sir Henry Nevill, Sir Wm. Paddy, Mr. Hoskins, Sir Tho. Crompton, Mr. Noye, Sir Rob. Harley, Sir Jerome Horsey, Sir Fra. Eure, Mr. Bond, Sir Fr. Barrington, Sir Edw. Francis, Mr. Hackwell: - Monday, Temple.
This Court is adjourned till Tuesday.
1. Reading: - THE Bill for the Naturalizing of Daniel Godfrey, of the Parish of St. Butlolphes without Algate, London, Gentleman.
Butter, &c. Trade.
2. Reading. - The Bill for Traders of Butter and Cheese within the City of London: - Mr. Wyseman, Mr. Recorder of London, Mr. Fuller, Sir H. Billingsley, Sir Geo. Moore, Sir John Heigham, Mr. Edward Hemmings, Sir Tho. Smyth, Mr. John Hare, Mr. Gore, Sir Edward Hext, Sir Antho. Rouse, Sir Geo. Rivers, Sir Tho. Freak, Sir John Scott, Sir Tho. Bishop, Sir Nath. Bacon, Mr. Chapman: - Martis, 4o Februarii, Temple Hall: - To be considered generally.
1. Reading: - The Bill for the better Observing and Keeping holy the Sabbaoth Days, or Sundays.
2. Reading: - The Bill for the Repealing of a Branch of a Statute made in the first Session of this Parliament, intituled, Concerning Wherrymen and Watermen: - Committed to Sir Rob. Johnson, Mr. Fuller, Sir Henry Billingsley, Burgesses for Westminster, Sir Rob. Maunsell, Sir Walter Cope, Sir John Trevor, Sir Geo. Moore, Sir Fr. Knolles, Sir Edm. Bowyer, Sir Geo. Rivers, Sir Rich. Bulkley, Mr. Rich. Wright, Mr. Gore, Sir Wm. Bowyer, Mr. Alford, Sir Rich. Spencer, Burgesses of Southwark, Mr. Martin, Sir Oliver St. John, Sir Henry Mountague. :
Mr. Solicitor moveth, the Grand Committee for Religion, to meet this Afternoon: And resolved, this Afternoon.
2. Reading: The Bill for the Recovery of small Debts, and the Relieving of poor Debtors in London: - Committed to Mr. Recorder, Mr. Gore, Mr. Alford, Mr. Fuller, Mr. Tolderby, Sir Chro. Perkins, Sir Walter Cope, Sir Tho. Smyth, Sir Wm. Herrick, Sir Dan. Dun, Mr. Rich. Wright, Sir John Bennett, Sir Wm. Bowyer, Sir Henry Billingsley, Sir Edm. Bowyer, Mr. Hugh Middleton, Mr. Rob. Middleton, Sir John Swynnerton, Sir John Boys:
2. Reading: - The Bill for the better Assurance of Copyhold Lands: -
Mr. Pembridge, a Counsellor, contra :
Mr. Wyseman, pro:
Sir Roger Owen, contra :
Mr. Solicitor, pro et contra, cum distinct.
Sir Rob. Hitcham, pro Bill: -
Committed ; - Mr. Solicitor, Sir Roger Owen, Mr. Pembridge, Sir Rob. Hitcham, Mr. Staughton, Mr. Wyseman, Mr. Yelverton, Sir H. Nevill, Sir Fr. Barrington, Sir Roland Litton, Sir Edw. Mountague, Mr. Tate, Mr. Crewe, Sir Geo. Rivers, Sir Rob. Harley, Mr. Hyde, Sir Jo. Heigham, Mr. Overbury, Mr. Cognisby, Sir Tho. Maunsell, Mr. Brock, Mr. Tho. Trevor, Sir Geo. Moore, Mr. Fuller, Mr. Hoskins, Sir John Hollis, Sir Barnard Whetstone: - Martis, 4* Februarii, Temple.
Assurance of Lands.
1. Reading: - The Bill touching Bonds made for and concerning Assurance of Lands or Tenements.
Tonage and Poundage.
2. Reading : - An Act for the Repeal of One Branch of the Statute of Tonage and Poundage, made in the Parliament holden at Westminster the first Year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord King James: - Mr. Secretary Herbert, Mr. Solicitor, Mr. Recorder of London, Sir Vincent Skynner, Sir John Trevor, Burgesses of Port Towns, Sir Edw. Grevill, Mr. Rich. Wright, Mr. Fuller, Sir Tho. Ridgeway, Sir Fr. Bacon, Sir Tho. Waller, Sir Rob. Maunsell, Sir Geo. Fane, Sir Nich. Saunders, Sir
Tho. Smyth, Sir Wm. Stroud, Sir Edwyn Sandys, Sir H. Billingsley: - Wednesday5o Februarii, Temple Hall.
These Committees are appointed to take into Consideration such Motions or Overtures, as shall be offered unto them, touching the Inconveniences or Mischiefs in Trade and Traffick, growing by Reason of the late Patent of Incorporation of the Spanish Company. The Motion made for the Consideration of the Incorporation of the Spanish Company: - Committed to the Committees named the last Session, Fol. 1o hujus libri [a] : - Adjourned till Thursday, 6 Februarii: - Mr. Secretary Herbert, Sir Geo. Moore, Sir Geo. Somers, Sir Dan. Dun, Sir William Strowd, Sir Thomas Ridgeway, Sir Jo. Heigham, Sir Robert Maunsel, Sir Jo. Trevor, Sir Carye Rawley, Sir Tho. Waller, all the Knights of the Maritime Counties, Mr. Adrian Staughton, Sir Rich. Spencer, Sir Geo. Smyth, Mr. Prowse, Mr. Fuller, Mr. James of Bristowe, Sir Herbert Crofts, Mr. James of Newport, Sir Christopher Perkins, Mr. Tolderby, Mr. Martin, Mr. Edward Manne, Mr. Chapman, Sir Walter Cope, Sir Tho Freak, Sir Jo. Williams, Sir Henry Billingsley, Sir Rob. Johnson, Mr. Gore, Sir Edwyn Sandys, the Burgesses of Lynne: - To consider of the Patent of Incorporation of the Spanish Company.
Bill for the better Execution of penal Statutes : - Saturday, Exchequer Chamber.
Lady Cave's Jointure; Sir Jonathan Trelawny: - Thursday next, Temple Hall.
Relief of the Poor : - Eodem loco.
Conformation of Leases : - Friday, Temple Hall. .
Sir Tho. Lakes: - Friday, eodem loco.
Trial of Conspirators.
Mr. Lewknor complaineth, that those of the Parliament-house were so pressed, as they could not hear what was said at the Arraignment. -
The Place appointed for the House, pestered with others ; not of the House.
Appointed to examine where the Fault was. - Mr. Secretary : - To give Thanks, and to inform of the Abuses to the Lords.
Such as be grieved, to inform Mr. Secretary.