3. ASHINGDON. (F.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. lxx. N.W.)
Ashingdon is a small parish about 5 m. N. of
Southend-on-Sea. The church is the principal
(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew (Plate,
p. xxxii) stands near the middle of the parish. The
walls are of ragstone and flint-rubble with septaria,
Roman and 16th-century brick; the dressings are of
various limestones and brick; the roofs are tiled.
The Chancel and Nave were built early in the 14th
century and the West Tower was added late in
the same century. Early in the 16th century
the E. wall of the chancel was re-built in brick
and the South Porch added; the chancel-arch was
perhaps removed at the same time. The church
was restored in the 18th century when the S.E.
angle of the nave was re-built, and again in modern
times when the North Vestry was added.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (21 ft.
by 17½ ft.) has an E. wall of brick with black
brick diapering; the E. window is all modern
except the splays and rear-arch which are probably
of the 14th century. In the N. wall is an early
16th-century brick window of two four-centred
lights with a square moulded label. In the
S. wall are two windows, the eastern of the 15th
century and of two cinque-foiled lights in a square
head with a moulded label; the western window
is a 14th-century 'low-side' with a plain pointed
head. The chancel-arch has been removed except
the early 14th-century N. respond of trefoiled
plan with moulded capitals and bases.
The Nave (25 ft. by 19 ft.) has in the N. wall
an early 14th-century window of the pointed
lights in a two-centred head with a moulded label;
the rear-arch is of 16th-century brick; the
14th-century N. doorway has moulded jambs,
two-centred arch and label. In the S. wall is an
18th-century window and further W. is the early
14th-century S. doorway with moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label. In the W. wall N. of the
tower is a 14th-century window of one trefoiled
The West Tower (7 ft. by 7½ ft.) is of late 14th-century date and of three stages with a low
pyramidal roof with a small saddle at the top.
In the E. wall is a doorway with chamfered jambs
and two-centred arch. In the S. wall is a plain
square-headed window. The second stage has
in the S. wall a similar window. The bell-chamber
has in the E. wall a square-headed window and
the N., S. and W. walls have each a window of
two cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label; the mullions
and tracery of the S. and W. windows are missing.
The South Porch is of timber and of early 16th-century date partly restored. It has a flat three-centred outer archway, chamfered wall-plates,
wall-posts, plates, tie-beam and curved braces.
The Roof of the chancel is of early 16th-century
date and of two bays with braced principals forming
almost semi-circular arches and an inserted tie-beam; the wall-plates are moulded. The 15th-century roof of the nave is of two bays with
moulded wall-plates and tie-beams with king-posts;
on the N. side the trusses rest on oak posts, owing
to the insecurity of the N. wall.
Fittings—Book: Bible of 1683, oak leather-covered binding with pierced brass mountings.
Font: octagonal bowl with concave faces and
moulded under-edge, plain stem and moulded
base, early 16th-century. Piscinae: In chancel—
with chamfered jambs and pointed head, round
drain cut back, 14th-century, re-set. In nave—in
N. wall, with octofoiled drain and trefoiled head
from a former window, 14th-century. Plate:
includes cup of 1564 with band of engraved
ornament, cup of 1640 with baluster stem and
a late 17th-century paten; the two last belonged
to South Fambridge. Recess: In chancel—in
N. wall, square-headed recess with oak lintel, date
uncertain, now covered by modern panelling.
Royal Arms: In nave—on N. wall, Stuart arms
painted on wood with moulded frame. Sundial:
In porch—loose stone with roughly cut sundial.
Miscellanea: In nave—damaged moulded capital,
Condition—Good, recently restored.
(2). Rouncefall, house, about ½ m. W.S.W.
of the church, is of one storey with attics, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled.
It was built in the 17th century on a rectangular
plan and has an original central chimney-stack,
square on plan with rebated angles. Inside the
building the timber-framing and ceiling-beams
(3). Red Hills, at Beckney Farm, about 2 m.
N.W. of the church.