17. CORRINGHAM. (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxxvi. S.E. (b)lxxxv. N.W.)
Corringham is a parish and small village on the
N. bank of the Thames estuary, 7 m. N.E. of
Tilbury. The church is the principal monument.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Mary stands in
the village. The walls are of ragstone-rubble and
flint; the dressings are of Reigate and other
limestone and the roofs are tiled. The S. walls of
the Chancel and Nave are of the 11th century,
the thickness in each case favouring a pre- rather
than a post-Conquest date. The West Tower was
added late in the 11th century and stands partly
on the earlier W. wall of the nave. Early in the
14th century a North Chapel and North Aisle were
added and the chancel was extended to the E.
in the same century and the walls heightened;
in the 17th century the chancel-arch fell. The
church has been restored in modern times when
the chancel-arch and part of the S. wall of the
nave were re-built and the North Vestry and South
Corringham, the Parish Church of St Mary
The church is of interest from its early date
and amongst the fittings the 14th-century screen is
Architectural Description—The Chancel (28 ft.
by 13½ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the
N. wall is an early 14th-century arch, two-centred
and of two chamfered orders the outer continuous
and the inner resting on attached shafts with
moulded capitals and bases; further E. is a 14th-century window, partly restored and of two
trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a two-centred
head with a moulded label. The lower part of the
western half of the S. wall is built of roughly
coursed herring-bone rubble possibly of pre-Conquest date. In the S. wall are two windows,
the eastern of the 14th century and similar to that
in the N. wall; the western window is of the 15th
century and of two cinque-foiled lights in a square
head with a moulded label. The chancel-arch is
The North Chapel (14½ ft. by 13½ ft.) has external
wall-faces of bands of flint and freestone. The
14th-century E. window is partly restored and of
three trefoiled ogee lights with modern tracery in
a segmental head with a moulded label. In the
N. wall is a 14th-century window of two trefoiled
ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head.
The 14th-century W. archway is two-centred and
of two chamfered orders dying on to the side walls.
The Nave (31 ft. by 17½ ft.) has an early 14th-century N. arcade of two bays with two-centred
arches of two chamfered orders; the octagonal
column has a moulded capital and base and the
responds have attached half-columns; the responds
show evidence of rebuilding and the arches may
have been widened. In the S. wall are two modern
windows and further W. is the late 14th-century
S. doorway with sunk-chamfered jambs and
moulded arch of two orders with a moulded label.
The western part of the S. wall is similar in date
and character to the older walling on the S. of the
The North Aisle (10¾ ft. wide) has in the N. wall
a 14th-century window similar to the N. window
in the N. chapel; E. of it is a modern doorway
and W. of it is the 14th-century N. doorway with
jambs and two-centred arch of two chamfered
orders. In the W. wall is a window similar to that
in the N. wall.
The West Tower (13¾ ft. by 14¾ ft.) (Plate, p. 28)
is of late 11th-century date and of three stages with
a pyramidal roof. The round tower-arch is of one
plain order with chamfered imposts; the keystone
on the E. side is carved with a small head. The
N., S. and W. walls have each a window of one
narrow light, modern externally. The N., S. and
W. walls of the second stage have each a window
similar to those in the stage below but with 14th-century trefoiled heads. The bell-chamber is
divided externally into two sub-stages by an offset,
the lower has on each face three round-headed
recesses of rubble; above these on each face is a
series of five similar recesses but the middle one on
the N., S. and W. sides is pierced for a window and
fitted with a modern central shaft with old cushion-capital and base and supporting two small round
sub-arches of rubble; the corresponding opening
on the E. face formerly opened into the nave roof;
the roof on this side also covered the lower range of
The Roofs are modern except for the 15th-century moulded and embattled wall-plates on
the N. of the N. chapel and aisle and on both sides
of the nave.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by John Dier,
1580; 2nd and 3rd by Thomas Bartlet, 1629 and
1617 respectively. Brasses and Indents. Brasses:
In chancel—(1) of Richard de Beltoun, c. 1340,
half-effigy of priest in mass vestments; (2) of
civilian, c. 1460, much worn and re-set; (3) to
Alice Greyve, 1453, inscription only. In N. chapel
—(3) to Robert Draper, 1595, parson of Corringham,
inscription only. In nave—(4) to Thomas at Lee,
1464, and Margaret his wife, inscription only.
Indents: In N. chapel—(1) later used for brass (3),
marginal inscription in separate capitals to
(Is)abelle Baud, 14th-century. In nave—(2) of
figure and inscription-plate, possibly of brass (2);
(3) tapering slab with traces of marginal inscription
in separate capitals, late 13th or early 14th-century.
Chests: In N. chapel—(1) plain, of hutch-type
with square lock-plates, 17th-century. In N.
vestry—(2) of oak, iron-bound with three strap-hinges and one old drop-handle, mediaeval.
Glass: In N. chapel—in E. window, two angels
and part of yellow rays. In N. window, foliage,
probably in situ. Both 15th-century. In N. aisle—
W. window, a dragon (Plate, pp. xliv-v), possibly
14th-century. Panelling: In nave—incorporated
in bench, traceried panel in three tiers with foliated
spandrels and embattled rail, 15th-century. Piscina:
In chancel—with chamfered jambs and trefoiled
head, round drain, 14th-century. Plate: includes
17th-century cup with altered rim and dated
1685, cover-paten of 1684. Screen (Plate, pp. 4–5):
In N. chapel—with middle doorway and four lights
on each side divided by shafts with moulded
capitals, bands and bases and with cusped intersecting tracery above, close lower panels, early
14th-century, 17th-century scratched initials and
dates on sill. Stoup: In nave—E. of S. doorway,
recess with cinque-foiled head and broken bowl,
14th or 15th-century. Miscellanea: Re-set in N.
respond of chancel-arch, corbel or bracket of ogee
form. The churchyard wall incorporates old stones
and has a weathered coping.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the
roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have original
chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
a(2). Bull Inn (Plate, pp. xxxiv–v), 40 yards N.E.
of the church, is of two storeys with attics and of
plastered timber-framing. It has an E. cross-wing
and modern additions on the N.W. and N.E. The
cross-wing is probably of 15th-century date but
the main block was re-built in the 17th century.
The upper storey of the cross-wing projects on the
S.W. front. The 17th-century chimney-stack is
of cruciform plan set diagonally.
a(3). House and Shop, on W. side of the road,
120 yards N.N.W. of the church, was of half
H-shaped plan with the cross-wings extending
towards the S.W. but a modern addition makes the
present plan rectangular. The S.E. wing is possibly
of 15th-century date but the main block and N.W.
wing are later.
a(4). Giffords' Cross, house, 650 yards W.N.W.
of the church, is of two storeys with attics. It was
built probably in the 16th century on an L-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the N.W.
and S.W. but a later addition of c. 1700 makes the
present plan rectangular; the roof was re-built
and heightened at the same time. The original
chimney-stack has grouped diagonal shafts. Inside
the building is some early 17th-century panelling.
a(5). Northlands Farm, house, about 1¾ m.
N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics
and cellars. The N. and S. doors are panelled and
of 17th-century date, the latter has a hood supported on shaped brackets. Inside the building
some of the timber-framing is exposed. The
main staircase is original and has turned balusters
and newel posts.
a(6). Cottage, now two tenements, ½ m. N.E. of
the church, is of the central-chimney type.
b(7). Reedham, farmhouse, about 1½ m. E.S.E.
of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the
walls are partly timber-framed and partly of
brick. It has been much altered and has a modern
addition at the back. Inside the building some of
the timber-framing is exposed.