Dunton (Wayletts)

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1923

Supporting documents

Page

35

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Dunton (Wayletts)', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4: South East (1923), pp. 35. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=123327 Date accessed: 20 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

23. DUNTON (WAYLETTS). (C.c.)

(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxviii. S.W. (b)lxxvi. N.W.)

Dunton is a parish 5 m. S.E. of Brentwood.

Ecclesiastical

b(1). Parish Church of St. Mary stands towards the S. end of the parish. It was re-built in 1873, except for a part of the N. wall of the chancel which is of 16th-century brick, and a 15th-century framed truss, with a cambered tie-beam and curved braces forming part of the bell-turret; part of the old chamfered wall-plates are incorporated in the chancel-roof.

Fittings—Bell: probably of 1712 but uninscribed. Chairs: two, one broken, with carved backs and front rails, shaped legs, early 18th-century. Coffin: In churchyard—S. of the church, stone coffin with shaped head, much damaged and lower part of cover with stem of cross, 13th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1563 with bands of engraved ornament and cover-paten of 1567. Table: In vestry—with turned legs cut down and incised top rail, 17th-century.

Condition—Poor.

Secular

b(2). Homestead Moat, N. of the Rectory, about ¼ m. N. of the church.

a(3). Wayletts, house, about 1 m. N. by E. of the church, is of two storeys with attics. The walls are of plastered timber-framing; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 16th century on a rectangular plan and the upper storey probably projected on the W. side but has been under-built in brick at a later period. There is an original chimney-stack on the S., diapered in black headers and, towards the N. end of the building, a chimney-stack with a single diagonal shaft. Inside the building some of the rooms have exposed ceiling-beams and there is some 17th-century panelling on both floors. On the first floor is a blocked window of two lights with a moulded mullion. The roof is of the queen-post type.

Condition—Fairly good.

a(4). Southfields, house, about 1 m. N.E. of the church, is of two storeys with attics. The walls are of brick, and the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 18th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and W. The principal fronts were symmetrical, but some of the windows have been blocked and others altered; there is a plain projecting string-course at the first floor level. The dormer windows have hipped roofs. On either side of the blocked windows above the entrance doorway are two sunk panels, one with the initials C.T. and the other with the date 1710.

Condition—Good.



<--Previous:
Downham