25. EAST HORNDON. (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxvii. S.E. (b)lxviii. S.W.)
East Horndon is a parish 4 m. S.W. of Billericay.
The church is the principal monument.
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints (Plates,
pp. 36, 37) stands near the middle of the parish.
The walls are of red brick with some dressings
of re-used stone; the roofs are tiled.
The Chancel, Nave, Transeptal Chapels and the
North Chapel, which contains the Tyrell tomb of
1476, were built probably in the last quarter of
the 15th century, but the presence of re-used
material and the divergence in the axis indicate
the existence of a previous building on the site.
Early in the 16th century the South Chapel, West
Tower and South Porch were added, probably in
the order named. The W. tower fell and was
partly reconstructed early in the 17th century.
The church is interesting as a complete brick
building and the two-storeyed transeptal chapels
are an unusual feature. Among the fittings the
incised slab is noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (26½ ft.
by 13½ ft.) has an E. window all modern except
the two-centred rear-arch. The N. wall has at the
E. end, externally, a shallow recess finished at the
top with a trefoiled corbel-table. In the internal
N.E. angle is an irregular projection of doubtful
purpose; further W. is an archway with moulded
responds and four-centred arch opening into a
small sepulchral Chapel without windows, but with
the internal walls decorated with two ranges of
trefoil and cinquefoil-headed sunk panels; the roof
is arched from E. to W. and has chamfered ribs
with blank shields at the intersections; the external
face of the N. wall has two crosses on stepped
bases, in black headers; W. of the chapel is a
modern window incorporating some old stones. The
S. arcade is of two bays with four-centred arches
of two moulded orders; the column is of quatrefoil
plan with moulded capitals and bases and the
responds have attached half-columns. There is no
East Horndon, the Parish Church of All Saints
The South Chapel (22¾ ft. by 12½ ft.) has in the
E. wall a stone window of three cinque-foiled lights
in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label.
In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern of two
and the western of three cinque-foiled lights in a
square head with a moulded label. In the W. wall
is a segmental-pointed arch of two continuous
The Nave (33½ ft. by 19 ft.) has in the N. wall an
opening to the N. transeptal chapel and extending
up to the roof-plate; further W. is a re-set late
14th-century doorway with chamfered jambs, two-centred arch and moulded label; it is now blocked;
E. of the opening to the transept are traces of the
doorway to the rood-loft. In the S. wall is an
opening to the S. transeptal chapel, similar to that
in the N. wall; the early 16th-century S. doorway
is of stone and has moulded jambs and two-centred
arch in a segmental head with a moulded label and
quatre-foiled spandrels enclosing a shield and a
Tudor rose; above it is a pointed brick arch;
further W. is a 17th-century window of one three-centred light.
The North Transeptal Chapel (12 ft. by 8 ft.) has
a wooden floor dividing it into two storeys. The
lower storey has in the E. wall a staircase to the
upper storey and to the rood-loft; the doorway
has a segmental-pointed head and the staircase is
lit by a quatre-foiled opening at the N. end. In the
N. wall is a window of three cinque-foiled lights in
a square head with a moulded label. The upper
storey has in the N. wall a single-light window
with a four-centred head, widened at a later date.
The South Transeptal Chapel (8½ ft. by 6 ft.) is
also of two storeys. The head-beam of the archway
to the nave shows the mortices of the former doorway from the rood-loft. The lower storey has a
S. window uniform with the corresponding window
in the N. transept. The upper storey has in the
S. wall a window with a triangular head and a
modern frame; W. of it is a fireplace with a
The West Tower (12¼ ft. square) is of two stages,
the lower mainly of c. 1500 and the upper of the
17th century (Plate, p. xxxviii). In the E. wall is
an opening with a plain bressummer in place of the
tower-arch. In both the N. and S. walls is a small
round-headed window. In the W. wall is a segmental-headed window and below it a window of
two lights with elliptical heads; the W. doorway
is probably of the 18th century. The bell-chamber
has a crow-stepped embattled parapet, a moulded
cornice below it and pilaster buttresses at the
angles. The N., S., and E. walls have each an
elliptical-headed window set in a rectangular
The South Porch is covered by a continuation of
the S. transept roof. The outer archway has a
two-centred head and above it is a small niche
with a trefoiled head. In the W. wall is a small
The Roof of the chancel is of trussed-rafter type,
boarded on the soffit and with moulded ribs
dividing it into square panels and having bosses
carved with birds, flowers and shields at the intersections. The roof of the nave has king-post
trusses with moulded tie-beams and moulded and
embattled wall-plates. The low-pitched roof of the
S. chapel has moulded beams, joists and wall-plates.
Fittings—Bells: four; 1st and 2nd by Thomas
Bartlet, 1621; 3rd by John Clifton, 1635. Brasses
and Indent. Brasses: In N. chapel—set on
modern brick tomb, to Sir Thomas Tyrell 
and Anne (Marney), his wife, late 15th century
figure of woman, mutilated marginal inscription,
and indents of second figure, inscription-plate and
four shields. See also Monument (2). Indent: In
nave—in N. doorway, of figure, and shield, much
defaced. Coffin-lid: In upper storey of N. transept—fragment with foliated cross-head, 13th-century. Door: In S. doorway—of overlapping
nail-studded battens, with strap-hinges, drop-handle and grille, early 16th-century. Font (Plate,
pp. xlii-iii): square bowl, two sides carved with
ornamental cross and other two with simple interlacing arcade of round arches, c. 1200, stem and
base modern. Funeral-helms: In S. chapel—two
helmets both with vizors and combs, 16th-century.
Galleries: To front of upper storeys of transepts,
balustrades (Plate, p. 5) with turned balusters,
some early 17th-century and some modern.
Glass: In S. chapal—in E. window, shield-of-arms (Plate, pp. xliv–v) argent two cheverons azure
and an engrailed border gules, for Tyrell impaling
gules a leopard rampant argent for Marney, 15th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In S. chapel—on S. wall, (1) to Sir John
Tyrell, 1676, and Martha (Washington), his wife,
1679, also to Sir Charles Tyrell, 1714, and Martha,
his wife, 1690, marble wall-monument with fluted
pilasters, broken pediment and achievement-of-arms. In S. transept—(2) altar-tomb, recessed in
wall, with moulded slab and panelled base, with
remains of shields in front, recess with flat cusped
arch and foliated spandrels and quatre-foiled soffit,
on slab brass of headless figure of man in plate-armour, c. 1520, eight sons, indents of Trinity,
wife and daughter, inscription-plate and fillet.
Floor-slabs: In S. chapel—now a modern raised
tomb, (1) of Alice (Cogesale), wife of Sir John
Tyrell, 1422, incised slab (Plate, p. 40) of hard
limestone with figure of woman in horned head-dress and fur-lined cloak, under vaulted canopy with
shafts containing figures of children with their
names on scrolls, two shields—(a) a cross between
four scallops for Coggeshall, and (b) Coggeshall
dimidiating two cheverons and an engrailed border for
Tyrell, marginal inscription with symbols of the
Evangelists; (2) to Sir John Tyrell, 1675, "once
decimated, twice imprisoned, thrice sequestrated,"
with achievement-of-arms; (3) to Martha, wife of
Sir Charles Tyrell, 1690, with shield-of-arms.
Plate: includes cup of 1564 and cover-paten of
1567. Pulpit: semi-octagonal, with two tiers
of moulded panels, 17th-century, rail modern.
Seating: In chancel—two bench-ends with popeyheads, early 16th-century. Stoup: In nave—in S.
wall, recess with part of basin and trefoiled head,
early 16th-century. Miscellanea: In upper storey
of N. transept—fragments of windows and oak
screen; other fragments of moulded stonework
Condition—Building shows signs of settlement
and tower has bad cracks in W. wall, etc.
b(2). Barns, Moat and Fish-Ponds at Heron
Hall, 1½ m. N.N.E. of the church. The small
Barn to the S. of the moat is of two storeys and of
brick with a tiled roof. It was built in the 16th
century and has window-openings with four-centred heads on both floors. The large Barn to
the N.E. of the former is of the same materials.
It is of ten bays with a porch on the E. and was
built early in the 18th century. Built into the
N. end of the W. wall are two stone gate-piers
with moulded caps and bases.
The Moat is complete and surrounds a large and
strongly defended site. On the E. side is a strong
retaining bank and on the W. three small fish-ponds.
About ¼ m. N.W. of the moat is a large area
enclosed on three sides by a strong retaining bank
and known as the Heron pond. A small stream runs
through the middle.
Condition—Of barns and earthworks, good.
b(3). Mount Thrift, house and moat, 1 m.
N.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled.
It was built probably in the 16th century, but has
been considerably altered by insertion of later
partitions and by additions on both the E. and W.
sides. The central chimney-stack has four shafts,
set diagonally on a cruciform plan with a square
base. Inside the building some of the rooms have
exposed ceiling-beams. On the first floor are two
doors of moulded battens and on the ground-floor
is a cupboard door of 16th-century panelling.
There is a blocked window on the first floor of
three lights with moulded mullions.
The Moat is fragmentary.
Condition—Of house, good.
a(4). Boar's Head Inn (Plate, p. xl), at Heron
Gate, about 1 m. N. by E. of the church, is of
two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the
roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in the
17th century but has been much altered.