This place is called, in the most ancient records, Cingwella,
which some suppose to signify the King's Well; others derive
the last syllable from the Saxon word Weald, or wood (fn. 1) . This etymology, perhaps, is the more probable, as it was in ancient times a
part of the royal demesnes. Later records have varied the name to
Chykwell and Chigwell.
Quantity of land.
This village lies in the hundred of Ongar, at the distance of about
ten miles and a half from London on the Ongar road. The parish
is bounded on the east by Lambourn, north-east by Loughton, north
by Chingford, west by Woodford, south-west by Barking, and south
by Dagenham. It contains, according to a survey made in 1611 (fn. 2) ,
2527 acres of cultivated land. The proportion of arable to pasture
is about three to one. Its share of Epping and Hainault forests (both
included in the ancient forest of Waltham) is not ascertained, but is
known to be very considerable (fn. 3) . The soil in the neighbourhood of
the village is a light gravel mixed with sand, and abounding with
springs; in other parts of the parish a stiff clay, without water.
This parish pays the sum of 577l. 2s. to the land-tax, which is at
the rate of about 2s. in the pound.
Manor of Chigwell-hall.
The manor of Chigwell-hall was held under Edward the Confessor by Earl Harold. In William the Conqueror's reign it was
the property of Ralph de Limesei (fn. 4) , whose great grandson Alan
granted it to Richard de Luci, and the latter to Ralph Briton (fn. 5) . A
subsequent grant was made by Richard de Luci to William Goldyngham, at the petition of Briton; and another at the request of
Goldyngham to Robert, son of Ralph Briton, to whom Goldyngham granted this manor in see and for ever. A sum of money
was given each time, and homage paid (fn. 6) . All this happened in the
reign of Henry II.: the manor, nevertheless, appears to have been
continued after this for several generations in the family of Goldyngham, who held it under the Lords Fitzwalter (fn. 7) . In the year
1382, Sir Alexander Goldyngham had the royal licence to impark
50 acres of land in Waltham forest, adjoining to his manor of
Chigwell (fn. 8) . It appears to have been afterwards in the Bourchier
family (fn. 9) . John Mannock died seised of it in 1476 (fn. 10) . In 1534, his
son George sold it to Sir Thomas Audley and others (fn. 11) for the use
of the crown, as it is supposed. In 1538, being then vested in the
crown, it was leased to William Rolt (fn. 12) . King Edward VI. in 1550,
granted it to Sir Thomas Wroth (fn. 13) ; in whose family it continued till
the year 1669, when it was sold to Sir William Hickes, Bart. (fn. 14) ; from
whom it has descended to the present proprietor Michael Hickes
Beach, Esq. M. P. for Cirencester, (second son of Sir Howe
Hickes, Bart.) who enjoys it under the wills of Sir Harry
Hickes, who died in 1755, and Michael Hickes, Esq. who died
Manor-house and demesne lands.
Sir Harry Hickes sold the manor-house (called Chigwell Hall)
and the demesne lands to William Davy, Esq.; of whose executors
they were purchased by James Urmston, Esq.: Mr. Urmston sold
this estate to — Mossat, Esq.; of whom it was purchased by
Eliab Harvey, Esq. the present proprietor. The house is in the
occupation of Mr. Blackman.
Manor of West-hatch.
The manor of West-hatch was the property of the Goldynghams.
In the year 1410, Sir Walter Goldyngham settled it (in default of
issue from himself and his wife Elizabeth) on Robert Wrytele or
Writtle (fn. 15) . Walter Writtle died seised of it in 1476 (fn. 16) . In 1534, it
was vested in George Mannock, Esq. who then sold it with the
manor of Chigwell Hall to Sir Thomas Audley, and others (fn. 17) . It
has since passed through the same hands.
The manor-house, which stands about a mile from the church, on
the road to Woodford, was the residence of Sir William Nutt, who
died in 1673 (fn. 18) . James Crokatt, Esq. of Luxborough-house, having
purchased it (about the middle of this century), it was sold by his
heirs to Sir Edward Walpole, K. B. It afterwards became the
property of Mr. Nutt, whose widow conveyed it to George Curling, Esq.; Mr. Curling sold it to Lady Hughes, (relict of Sir
Edward Hughes, K. B.) the present proprietor. A new house
having been lately built near the same site, the old house is about to
be taken down.
The manor of Barringtons, alias Rolls, is supposed to have been
that estate, which, in the reign of King Edward the Confessor, was
held by one Doth; and at the time of the Norman survey, by
Anschetill, under Robert Gernon (fn. 19) . The manor of Barringtons was
granted about the reign of Henry II. by Alberic de Vere to Sir
Humphrey, son of Eustace de Barentone. It continued in this
family (being still held under the Veres, Earls of Oxford, and called
the manor of Chigwell, alias Little Chigwell,) as late as the year
1537, when John Barrington, Esq. died seised of it. Stephen
Wiseman died seised of it in 1563 (fn. 20) ; Thomas Wiseman, Esq. in
1584. It was sold by another Thomas Wiseman to John Hawkins;
and about the middle of the last century a moiety of it was purchased
Eliab Harvey, Esq. (brother of the celebrated Dr. Harvey),
whose descendant of the same name (Captain of the Valiant man of
war) is the present proprietor. The other moiety was in the
Comyns family about the year 1695, and afterwards came, by intermarriage, to Sir Hugh Myddelton, Bart. of whom it was purchased
by the Harveys (fn. 21) .
The manor-house is about a mile north of the church, and is the
residence of Capt. Harvey. It was not originally the site of the
manor, but a mansion unconnected with it, called Rolls, which was
purchased by Sir Eliab Harvey, (son of Mr. Harvey who bought the
manor,) and made the manerial residence (fn. 22) .
Manor of Woolston, or Wolverstone.
The manor of Woolston or Wolverstone, anciently called Ulfeestun, was the property of Earl Harold. When the Norman
survey was taken, it was a part of the royal demesnes (fn. 23) . Henry the
Second granted it to the family of Sandford (fn. 24) , who held it in grand
serjeanty as chamberlains to the Queen (fn. 25) . Hugh Earl of Oxford
purchased the wardship and marriage of Alice, daughter and heir of
Gilbert de Saundford, for a thousand marks, as some records state it,
King Henry III.; or, as others seem to represent it, of Fulk Basset,
Bishop of London, who had bought it of the King for the same
sum (fn. 26) , perhaps as a trustee for the Earl; who bestowed her in marriage
on his eldest son Robert, who succeeded him in the title, and in
right of his wife became Baron Sandford. By this lady (besides
Robert his son and heir) he had a daughter Joan, who married
William, the eldest son of John Earl Warren and of Surrey, and
had the reversion of this manor (fn. 26) as a part of her marriage portion.
On the death of John Earl of Surrey (son of the said William and
Joan) without lawful issue, in 1347, this and his other estates
devolved upon his sister Alice, wife of Edmund Earl of Arundel (fn. 27) .
The possessions of this family were twice forfeited by attainder, and
restored; after which Thomas Earl of Arundel died seised of this
manor in 1414, when the inheritance came between his three
surviving sisters (fn. 28) . Sir Rowland Lenthall, who married Margaret
Fitzalan, leaving no issue at his death, in 1451 (fn. 29) , his share was
divided between the Norfolk and Bergavenny families, who represented the other coheirs. John Duke of Norfolk was slain at
Bosworth-field, and his estates became forfeited (fn. 30) . The whole of
this manor, being afterwards vested in the crown, was granted, about
the beginning of Henry the Seventh's reign, to William Scott, Esq.
a lineal descendant of Sir William Scott, Lord Chief Justice of the
King's Bench, who died in 1346 (fn. 31) . It continued in that family till
the death of George Scott, LL. D. in 1780, when it was inherited
by Robert, son of William Bodle, Esq. (by Elizabeth, daughter of
George Scott, Esq. who died in 1710 (fn. 32) ). It is now the property
of Robert Bodle, Esq. son of Robert above mentioned.
The manor-house stands about a mile and a half eastward from
the church: it is at present unoccupied.
Manor of Grange-hill.
The manor of Grange-hill, or Chigwell Grange, belonged to the
priory of Tiltey; on the suppression of which it was granted, anno
1537, to Thomas Addington (fn. 33) , who, in 1554, sold it to James
Altham, Esq. (fn. 34) : of him it was purchased by Sir Anthony Browne,
who made it a part of the endowment of his free school at
Brentwood (fn. 35) .
Manor of Luxbo-rough.
The first mention I have found of the manor of Luxborough is in
1605, when Sir Robert Wroth died seised of it (fn. 36) ; since that time it
has passed with the manor of Chigwell-hall. The demesne lands of
the manor of Luxborough were purchased in the early part of this
century by Robert Knight, Esq. cashier of the South Sea Company,
who built on them a noble mansion called Luxborough-house, which,
upon the estates being seized and sold by the South Sea Company,
was purchased by Sir Joseph Eyles (fn. 37) . Upon his death, in 1740, it
was repurchased by Mr. Knight. His son, who succeeded to this
estate, was, in 1746, created an Irish peer, by the title of Baron
Luxborough, and in 1763, Earl of Catherlough. In 1749, he sold
the estate at Luxborough-house to James Crokatt, Esq. (fn. 38) , whose
heirs aliened it to Sir Edward Walpole, K. B.; Sir Edward sold it to
Samuel Peach, Esq. who soon afterwards conveyed it to Sir Edward
Hughes, K. B. That eminent naval officer made it his countryhouse, and died there, Jan. 17, 1794. It is now the property and
residence of his widow.
Ancient palace, called Potteles, or Langford's, now King's-place farm.
Within this parish, in the forest, was an ancient palace, called
Potteles, alias Langford's. A purchase was made by the crown in
this parish as early as the year 1350 (fn. 39) , and another purchase of a
house and lands, by Edward IV. of Robert Langford, in 1477 (fn. 41) . It
is probable that the King granted this house and lands to his brother
the Duke of Clarence; for it appears upon record, that Potteles-place,
alias Langford's, came to the crown on the death of that prince (fn. 42) .
Henry VII. appointed Sir John Risley keeper of his palace at
Chigwell (fn. 43) ; and, on his death, Sir William Compton had a grant of
that place, anno 1513 (fn. 44) . William Lord Compton obtained a
renewed grant from Queen Elizabeth in 1596 (fn. 45) . Sir Thomas
Perient was possessed of the fee of this estate in 1650 (fn. 46) . It was then
called the manor or reputed manor of King's-place, alias Langford's,
&c. Henry Goodricke, Esq. having married Mary Ernle, a relation
of Lady Perient (fn. 47) , this estate was settled on her; and, in 1658,
was conveyed by the said Henry Goodricke and his wife Mary to
William Livesaye, Gent. In 1679, William Livesaye the elder,
and William Livesaye the younger, aliened it to Mrs. Elizabeth
Collwall, widow. Thomas Gibson and John Jacob, trustees under
the will of Daniel Colwall, Esq. who died in 1707 (fn. 48) , conveyed it,
in 1716, to Percival Chandler, whose son Thomas, in 1741, sold
it to Oliver Marton, Esq. In 1759, it was purchased of the Rev.
Oliver Marton, (brother and heir of Edward Marton, Esq. who was
son and heir of Oliver,) by Robert Jones, Esq. It is now the property of his grandson R. Jones Adeane, Esq.
Buckhurst, alias Monk-hill, now Monkhams.
An estate in this parish and Woodford, called Buckhurst, alias
Monkenhill, (now Monkhams,) belonged to the abbot and convent
of Stratford Langthorn (fn. 48) , and was granted, anno 1547, to John
Lyon and his heirs (fn. 49) . Henry Lyon died seised of it anno 1590 (fn. 50) .
It is now the property of Lady Hughes (fn. 51) .
Buckhurst, alias Goldhurst.
There was an estate also (in the parishes of Chigwell and Barking)
called Buckhurst, alias Goldhurst, which Sir Walter Goldyngham
settled on Robert Writtle. Walter Writtle died seised of it in
1476 (fn. 52) . It is most probable that it descended, with the manors of
Chigwell-hall and West-hatch, which were also in the Goldynghams
and the Writtles.
The parish-church, dedicated to St. Mary, consists of a chancel,
nave, and north aisle. At the west end is a wooden belfry, with a
spire. The south door is of Saxon architecture, with lozenge
Monument of Thomas Coleshill.
Against the south wall of the chancel is a monument of alabaster
and veined marble, (with the effigies of the deceased in kneeling
attitudes,) to the memory of Thomas Coleshill, Esq. (fn. 53) , servant to
King Edward IV., Queen Mary, and Queen Elizabeth, and inspector
of the customs for the city of London, ob. 1595. Mary, his wife,
daughter of George Crayford, Esq. died in 1599: they were married fifty years. The monument was put up by Sufanna, wife of Sir
Edward Stanhope, and Anne, wife of Jasper Leeke, Esq. daughters and coheirs of the deceased.
Monument of Archbishop Harsnet.
On the north side of the chancel, against the wall, is fixed
the effigies, in brass, of Archbishop Harsnet. It was removed
from the floor, and is in perfect preservation. It is surrounded
with a border of brass, on which is the following inscription,
written by himself, and directed by his will to be put on his
tomb (fn. 54) : "Hic jacet Samuel Harsnett, quondam vicarius (fn. 55) hujus
ecclesiæ, primùm indignus Episcopus Cicestrensis, dein indignior
Episcopus Norwicensis; demùm indignissimus Archiepiscopus
Eboracensis qui obiit xxv die Maii, anno Domini 1631."
On the chancel floor are the tombs of Elizabeth, wife of Francis
Langston, Esq. serjeant at arms, and daughter of Sir Edwin
Sandys, Knt. 1639; Anne, wife of John Nutt, Esq. and daughter
of Sir Edward Master of East Langdon in Kent, 1641; Susanna,
wife of William Nutt, and daughter of John James, Esq. 1643;
Sir William Nutt, her husband, 1673; and Capt. Joseph Cave of
the Royal Navy, 1781.
The east end of the north aisle is called Scott's Chancel, and
belongs to Woolston-hall. In this chancel are monuments to the
memory of George Scott, Esq. (fn. 56) , 1683; Elizabeth, his wife, daughter of Robert Cheyne, Esq. of Bramhanger, 1705; William Scott,
Esq. (fn. 56) , 1725; Catherine, his wife, daughter of Thomas Luther,
Esq. 1710; and Thomas Scott, Esq. 1732. In this chancel also is
an achievement for William Derham, D. D. president of St. John's
College in Oxford, who died in 1757, and one for Bishop Gibson,
whose daughter Jane married George Scott, LL. D.
In the north aisle is the monument of John Thomas Kilpatrick,
1791; on the south side, affixed to one of the pews, is a brass plate
(with the effigies of the deceased) to the memory of John Hodgson,
Gent. of the Middle Temple, (son of John Hodgson, merchant,) who
married Mary, daughter of John Penington of Chigwell, ob. 1620.
On the floor are the tombs of John Penington, Esq. (fn. 57) , 1702; Sarah
his wife, daughter of Sir Robert Abdy, Bart. 1690; Mrs. Ann
Pelling, widow, 1712; and Mrs. Sarah Hunt, 1769.
Near the door of the north aisle is a brass plate with the following
inscription: "Pray for the soule of Thomas Ilderton, stoksemonger of
"London, who dyde inlentle (lengthen) this isle from ye northe dore
hitherto; and also dide gyfe certen lands towards ye sustentation
of a chantre prest to synge at treneteal, and to helpe devyne service
in the quere upon holy daies, as by his wyll there made it does
apere, on whos soule Jhu have mercy; whiche Thomas decessyd
the day of—, an° Domini 1500."
On the pillars between the nave and the chancel on the north side
are the monuments of Martin Capron (fn. 58) , 1715; and the Rev. George
Heriott (fn. 59) , rector of South Fambridge, 1723.
In the church-yard are the tombs of Mr. William Browne, 1653;
Thomas Browne, 1676; Mary, wife of Thomas Scott, Gent. 1720;
Mr. Josiah Seale, 1772; John Sharp, engraver, 1786; Elizabeth,
wife of John Moxon, 1788; and the Rev. Peter Thomas Burford,
The advowson of the church of Chigwell (which is in the diocese
of London and the deanery of Ongar) was formerly annexed to the
manor, and held together with it by the family of Goldyngham. In
the year 1350, Thomas Ecclesle, parson of Lambeth, and others,
had licence to appropriate the church of Chigwell (held under the
Lords Fitzwalter) to the priory of Latton (fn. 60) . How it became vested
in the above parties, or how long it continued appropriated to that
priory, does not appear; nor does it appear that they ever presented
to the vicarage. In 1404, Bartholomew Lord Bourchier granted
the church of Chigwell to John Doreward (fn. 61) , who, in 1439, gave it
to the priory of St. Botolph in Colchester (fn. 62) , to which convent it was
afterwards appropriated; but they had not been long in possession,
before (by some exchange, it is probable) it came into the hands of
Bishop Kemp, who, having founded a chantry in St. Paul's cathedral,
made this rectory a part of its endowment (fn. 63) . In 1474, the prebend of
Pancras was appropriated also to the same chantry: after the chantry
was suppressed, the rectory of Chigwell continued to be, as it still is,
annexed to the prebend of Pancras (fn. 64) , under which the great tithes
are held upon a lease for three lives. In Bishop Grindall's time (the
latter end of the sixteenth century) the rectory was on lease to
Nicholas Fulham (fn. 65) . In the year 1650, it was reported by the
commissioners appointed to inquire into the state of ecclesiastical
benefices, that there belonged to the parsonage of Chigwell (which
was a sinecure) 28 acres of glebe, besides a grove of about 20 acres,
which, with the great tithes, they valued all together at 70l. per
annum, out of which a reserved rent of 15l. was payable to the
prebendary of Pancras; the parsonage was then on lease to Thomas
Andrews, Esq. (fn. 66) In the beginning of the present century, the lease
was vested in Sir Joseph Eyles; it was afterwards purchased by
James Crokatt, Esq. who, by his will dated 1776, bequeathed his
interest therein to his daughter Jane, wife of Sir Alexander Craufurd,
Bart. (since deceased). A new lease was granted, in 1791, to Sir
Alexander Craufurd for the lives of his three children, James, John,
and Cecilia (fn. 67) .
The present prebendary of Pancras, and, as such, rector of Chigwell, is the Rev. William Paley, Archdeacon of Carlisle.
It appears that in ancient time a rector of this parish, having
a plurality of benefices, instituted a vicarage here, and gave it to his
kinsman, allowing him half the profits of the rectory. This practice
of appointing vicars continued after his death; and in 1374, Henry
Marmion being then rector, a vicarage was endowed with a house
and glebe, the usual vicarial tithes, and the tithes of certain watermills (fn. 68) . In 1440, the vicarage was valued at 18 marks per annum.
In the King's books it was rated at 18l. Since its connexion with
the prebend of Pancras it has been in the gift of the prebendary (fn. 69) .
Guild of the Holy Trinity.
There was a guild, brotherhood or fraternity in the church of
Chigwell, founded by Thomas Ilderton, and dedicated to the Holy
Trinity; the lands belonging to which (being then valued at 2l. 3s.
4d. per annum) were granted to John Whitehorn and John Bailey,
to be held of the manor of Sidmouth in Devonshire (fn. 70) .
Vicars: Samuel Harsnet;
Samuel Harsnet, who was instituted to this vicarage in 1597, was
a native of Colchester, and in the early part of his life was master
of the grammar-school at that place. He afterwards became successively Bishop of Chichester and Norwich, and Archbishop of York.
Before he was made a bishop, (being then chaplain to Bishop
Bancroft,) he published an account of the impostures of one John
Darrell, who had pretended to cure several persons possessed with
devils. He was author also of a few other tracts (fn. 71) . The Archbishop, after he had resigned the vicarage, continued to reside
at Chigwell, where he had purchased a house and estate, now the
property and residence of his descendant Mrs. Fisher.
Emanuel Utey, D. D. was ejected from this vicarage in the year
1641, in consequence of a petition from the inhabitants of Chigwell
to the parliament, charging him with having erected an altar in
the church, and having used offensive bowing and cringing; with
having kissed the altar twice in one day; having read the prayers
with his face to the altar, and his back to the people; and various
other allegations of the like nature. A printed copy of the petition
is in the British Museum. The commissioners, in 1650, found that
there had been no settled minister at Chigwell since Dr. Utey's
removal (fn. 72) .
The present vicar is the Rev. Walter Kerrich, M. A. canon
residentiary of Salisbury, collated in 1764, on the death of Fifield
The earliest date of the register (fn. 73) of births, &c. is 1555.
Comparative state of population.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
The present number of houses is about 210 (fn. 74) .
In 1603, there were 28 burials; in 1625, 25; in 1665, 27. Six
persons died of the plague in 1666.
Extracts from the Register.
Family of Leeke.
"Anne, daughter of Sr John Leeke (fn. 75) , baptized Aug. 27, 1609;
Dorothy, Nov. 3, 1610; John, buried March 8, 1611–12; Elizabeth, buried Apl 1, 1619; Sr John Lake, buried Sep. 24, 1646;
the Lady Lake, Oct. 7, 1652."
"Elizabeth, daughter of Sr Peter Killigrew, Knt. baptized Aug.
"Lake, son of Sir Joseph Jordan, baptized June 20, 1666; John,
his son, buried June 21, 1666."
Instance of longevity.
"The widow Gouldring, 100 years old and upwards, buried
Nov. 12, 1671."
"Robert, son of Sr George Jeffery (fn. 76) of the parish of Aldermanbury, buried Dec. 30, 1677."
"The Lady Periant of King's-place (fn. 77) , buried Jany 5, 1678–9."
"The Lady Anne Hobart, widow, buried Feb. 18, 1683–4;
Lady Anne Hubbard, Aug. 14, 1706."
"Susan, daughter of Sr Cæsar Child, Bart., and Lady Esther, (born
in the parish of Barking,) baptized Apl 15, 1705; Anne, Feb.
Family of Middelton.
"Anna, daughter of Sr Hugh Middelton, Bart. baptized Feb. 21,
1717–8; Hugh, July 31, 1719; another Hugh, baptized Oct.
21, 1722, buried Apl 8, 1723; a third Hugh, baptized Dec. 1,
1723; Sr Hugh Middelton, Bart. buried Nov. 16, 1756; Lady
Anne Middelton, Dec. 31, 1764."
"Richard, son of Richard Lestock, Esq. (fn. 78) , baptized July 14,
There are several entries relating to the Harvey family. The
present Eliab Harvey, Esq. married Lady Louisa, daughter of Earl
Nugent, by whom he has one son and four daughters.
Archbishop Harsnet's schools.
Archbishop Harsnet, in the year 1629, founded two free-schools
in this parish; the one for teaching children to read, write, and cast
accounts, and the accidence; the other for teaching the Greek and
Latin tongues. The Archbishop had previously built two schoolhouses at his own expence, and a house for the Latin master; he
purchased also a house for the other master, and a garden for each
house. The Archbishop, by an indenture, bearing date April 13,
1629, vested the above premises in certain feoffes (fn. 79) , together with
the impropriated rectory of Tottington in Norfolk, which he
assigned as an endowment (fn. 80) for his schools. The advowson of the
vicarage was vested also in the said feoffees, who were to present
to it a fit person, who had been either educated at the Latin school
at Chigwell, or was a native of that place; if such could be found.
The vicar of Chigwell, and the rector of Loughton, are always to
be among the number of the feoffees, and to be governors of the
schools, together with ten other persons, being the most able and
substantial parishioners of Chigwell (fn. 81) . The governors elect the
schoolmasters; the election must take place within ten days after the
vacancy, otherwise the nomination lapses to the Bishop of London.
The Latin schoolmaster must be a graduate in one of the universities; a man skilful in the Greek and Latin "tongues; a good
"poet; of a sound religion; neither Papist nor Puritan; of a grave
behaviour; of a sober and honest conversation; no tipler, nor
haunter of alehouses; no puffer of tobacco; and, above all, apt to
teach, and severe in his government." He is directed to teach
Lilly's Latin, and Cleonard's Greek grammar;—for phrase and
style, to infuse into his scholars no other than Tully and
Terence;—for poets, to read the ancient Greek and Latin; no
novelties, nor conceited modern writers." The qualifications
requisite for the other master are, "that he write fair secretary and
Roman hands; that he be skilful in cyphering and casting of
accounts; and that he teach his scholars the same faculty."
The present grammar-master is James Stewart Freeman, B. D.;
the English and writing-master, Mr. John Vickery.
The founder's ordinances contain many regulations for the
government of his schools, and the behaviour of the scholars;
prosessing himself much more solicitous that they should be instructed in the principles of the Christian religion (fn. 82) , and nurtured
and disciplined in good manners, than instructed in good arts.
The founder directs, that twelve, boys, natives of Chigwell, two
of Loughton, two of Woodford, and two of Lambourn, shall be
instructed gratis in the Latin school; in the other school, all the
children of Chigwell, with the same number from Woodford,
Loughton, and Lambourn, as in the other school. When it was
found necessary to reduce the salary of the masters, the children in
the Latin school were limited to half the number ordered by the
founder; and those in the other school to twelve children of Chigwell, one of Woodford, one of Loughton, and one of Lambourn.
This was done with the sanction of the Bishop of London, whom
the founder appointed visitor; and to whom he directs the governors to present yearly an angel of gold as a new-year's gift (fn. 83) .
William Penn educated at Chigwell. Girls' school.
William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, was educated at Chigwell; most probably at Archbishop Harsnet's school.
There is a charity-school in this parish for twelve girls, established
about the beginning of the present century, and supported by the
collections at an annual sermon, and the interest of 100l. left to it,
in 1725, by William Scott. Esq.
There are alms-houses at Chigwell for three poor widows, who
receive 1l. 5s. 8d. per annum each, paid quarterly, out of lands
called Cardhams; formerly belonging to the Peningtons. It is not
known by whom this endowment was left.
Robert Rampston, anno 1585, gave 1l. per annum to the poor
of this parish. Archbishop Harsnet charged the parsonage of Tottington with 10l. per annum, to be distributed weekly in bread to
twenty-four poor persons of this parish.
Ancient benefaction for the repair of a footpath.
Mrs. Joan Sympson of Chigwell, in the year 1357, left certain
lands, (now let at 14l. 14s. per annum,) for the purpose of keeping
in repair the foot-path from Abridge in the parish of Lambourn, to
Wynbridge in Woodford, being five miles in length, and leading
through the village and parish of Chigwell from east to west.
Spring of mineral water.
There is a spring near the windmill at Chigwell-row, of a
cathartic quality; the water of which was recommended by the
celebrated physician Dr. Frewen, who was a native of this parish (fn. 84) .
It is now quite neglected.