Morant derives the name of this village from the Saxon
words, weald, a wood; bam, a manor; and Stowe, a place.
Situation, and boundaries.
Quantity of land, and how occupied.
The parish of Walthamstow lies in the hundred of Becontree. It
is bounded by Chingford, Woodford, Wanstead, and Leyton, in
Essex; and by the river Lea, which separates it from Hackney and
Tottenham, in Middlesex. It contains about 4320 acres of land,
of which about 3000 are inclosed; 350, open fields; 130, inclosed
woodlands; and 820, roads (fn. 1) and waste land (fn. 2) . The greater part,
both of the inclosed and open fields, is pasture: in the year 1794,
there were only 425 acres of arable land in the parish; in 1795, 602.
The soil is various; viz. gravel, sand, loam, and clay; the latter
This parish pays the sum of 802l. 16s. to the land-tax, which is
at the rate of about 2s. in the pound.
The village of Walthamstow extends over a considerable tract of
ground; there are but few houses near the church, which stands
about six miles from Shoreditch; the greater number lie in
the following hamlets or streets: Wood-street, Clay-street, Marshstreet, Hoo-street, Hale-end (fn. 3) , Chapel-end, &c.
Manor of Waltham-stow Tony, or High Hall.
The manor of Walthamstow was, in the reign of Edward the
Confessor, the property of Waltheof Earl of Northumberland (fn. 4) ;
whose daughter and coheir Alice Judith brought it, in marriage, to
Ralph de Toeni or Toni, son of Ralph de Toni, who was standardbearer to William the Conqueror. It continued for several generations in his descendants; some of whom made a conspicuous
figure in the civil wars, during the reign of King John, and of his
successor Henry III. The family became extinct in Robert de Toni,
who died in 1309, without issue; when the inheritance of the manor
of Walthamstow (which must now be called Walthamstow Tony,
for about this time a portion of the estate seems to have been
granted away, and to have formed another manor, called Low Hall,
or Walthamstow Bedyk) went to his sister Alice, (relict of Thomas
de Leybourne (fn. 5) ,) afterwards married to Guy de Beauchamp, Earl of
Warwick (fn. 6) . After the Earl's death, she married William le Zouch,
who survived her, and held this manor till his own death, in 1337 (fn. 7) ;
when the inheritance devolved upon Thomas Beauchamp, Earl of
Warwick (fn. 8) (son of Guy, by Alice above mentioned). On the
attainder of Thomas, the succeeding Earl, who was beheaded in
1396, his estates were forfeited, and the manor of Walthamstow
Tony was granted to William Scroop, Earl of Wiltshire (fn. 9) . Upon
the accession of Henry IV. the Earl of Wiltshire was attainted; and
the Earl of Warwick's son, having been restored to his honors and
estates, died seised of this manor in 1401 (fn. 10) . Henry Duke of
Warwick, who died in 1445, left an only daughter Anne (an infant);
who surviving him only four years (fn. 11) , his estates were divided
between his two sisters, Eleanor and Anne. Eleanor, to whose
share the manor of Walthamstow Tony sell, married, first, Thomas
Lord Roos, and afterwards, Edmund Duke of Somerset. She died
in 1467 (fn. 12) . From her this manor descended to Elizabeth, daughter
and heir of the Earl of Rutland; who having married Sir William
Cecil, son and heir of the Earl of Exeter, died seised of it in 1591,
leaving William Cecil, Lord Roos, her son and heir (fn. 13) . He died in
1618, without issue, having, in 1609, obtained a confirmation of
this manor (fn. 14) , which seems to have gone afterwards to his widow,
(Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Thomas Lake,) and her family; for it
appears, that in 1640, Sir George Rodney, who had been some time
in possession of the manor of Walthamstow Tony, obtained the king's
pardon for having purchased it, without a licence, of Sir Arthur
Lake (fn. 15) . The year preceding the date of this pardon, Sir George
Rodney had sold the estate to William Lord Maynard (fn. 16) ; in whose
family it still continues, being now the property of the Rt. Hon.
Charles Viscount Maynard.
A court-leet and court-baron are held for this manor.
Manor of Walthamstow Francis, Walthamstow Bedyk, or Low Hall.
The reversion of the manor of Walthamstow Bedyk, or Low Hall,
after the death of Maud, widow of Simon Francis, (from whom it was
called also the manor of Walthamstow Francis,) was purchased by Thomas Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, who was before possessed of the
other manor (fn. 17) . They remained in the same hands till the death of
Anne Beauchamp before mentioned (fn. 18) ; when Walthamstow Francis
fell to the share of Anne, sister of the Duke of Warwick, and wife
of Richard Nevil, Earl of Salisbury, who enjoyed also, in her right,
the title of Earl of Warwick. After the battle of Barnet, in which
this Earl fell, all his estates were seized by the crown; and this
manor was granted to John Hugford, who died seised of it in 1485 (fn. 19) .
Being then vested in the crown, a lease of it was granted, anno 1521,
for 21 years, to John Jenyns (fn. 20) . In 1528, it was granted to John
Limsey (fn. 21) , and his heirs male; and, in 1541, to Sir Ralph Sadler,
in see (fn. 22) . I suppose it was this estate (and not Walthamstow Tony)
which Sir Ralph Sadler surrendered to the King in 1546 (fn. 23) . In 1550,
it was held by Ralph Saunders and Laurence Wennington, in free
socage (fn. 24) . In 1553, it was granted to Thomas Argall (fn. 25) , whose
descendants enjoyed it for several generations (fn. 26) . The heiress of this
family married John Greene, Esq. of Dover-street, who died in
1718 (fn. 27) . It was purchased of his representatives, in 1741, by
Samuel Bosanquet, Esq. (fn. 28) , father of Samuel Bosanquet, Esq. the
Manor of Higham Bensted, or Higham Hills.
The manor of Hecham, since called Higham Bensted, or Higham
Hills, was, in the reign of Edward the Confessor, the property of
Haldan, a freeman: when the survey of Doomsday (fn. 29) was taken, it
belonged to Peter de Valoines; whose grandaughter Lora brought it,
in marriage, to Alexander de Baliol (fn. 30) ; of whom it was purchased
by John de Bensted, a Justice of the Common Pleas, and a Baron
of the realm in the reign of Edward II. (fn. 31) It continued in the same
family till 1494 (fn. 32) ; when it was sold by Helen Bensted to John
Ryshe and others (fn. 33) . Sir Thomas Lovell held a court for it that
year (fn. 34) . Being soon afterwards vested in the crown, it was leased to
Sir John Heron, who died in 1521 (fn. 35) . His son Sir Giles being
attainted of high-treason, the lease reverted to the crown. In 1555,
the manor, which, on Giles Heron's attainder, had been leased to
Cuthbert Hutton, was granted, in fee, to Thomas Heron (fn. 36) , (grandson of Sir John,) who, in 1566, aliened it to Thomas Rowe, Esq. (fn. 37)
After continuing in the family of Rowe for seven descents, it was
sold, in 1758, by William Rowe, Gent. (fn. 38) , to Richard Newman, Esq.;
who, in 1764, aliened it to Anthony Bacon, Esq. There having
been various money transactions between Mr. Bacon and Mr. John
Biggin, this manor at length became vested in Mrs. Eleanor Biggin,
widow, and was by her put up to auction, in the month of December 1785. The purchaser was William Hornby, Esq. governor of
Bombay; who, in December 1790, sold it to the present proprietor,
John Harman, Esq.
The mansion-house belonging to this estate was rebuilt by Mr.
Bacon. It stands at the northern extremity of the parish, near
Woodford Wells, and commands a very fine prospect of the river
Thames, and of the country towards Kent. The premises have
been much improved, both by Governor Hornby, and by the
Courts were formerly held for this manor, and are about to be
Manor of Salisbury-hall, or Waltham stow Sarum.
The manor of Salisbury-hall in this parish was, in 1442, the
property of Sir William Tirwhit (fn. 39) ; from him it descended to Sir
Thomas Tirwhit, who held it under Margaret Countess of Salisbury,
and died in 1522 (fn. 40) . In 1558, Queen Mary granted this manor
(described as formerly parcel of the possessions of Robert Tirwhit,
and leased by Henry VIII. anno 1543, to Richard Johnson) to Sir
Thomas White (fn. 41) and others. It reverted to the crown, and was
granted by Queen Elizabeth, in 1590, to Robert Symons (fn. 42) , who
died in 1623, and was succeeded by his son Thomas (fn. 43) . In 1667, it
was the property of Richard Edge, Esq. (fn. 44) ; from whom it descended
to James Edge, who bequeathed it to Richard Sheldon, merchant;
on whose decease without issue, it devolved on Rice Fellowe, Esq.;
who by his will, bearing date 1761, bequeathed it to his cousin
George Dickerdine, then a minor, who assumed the name of Rice
Fellowe, and, in 1778, sold this manor to William Cooke, Esq. It
is now the property of his sister Mrs. Hannah Cooke of Woodford.
In the court-book this manor is styled Walthamstow Sarum, alias
The manor-house (now only a farm) stands about a mile and a
half north of the church, in a lane leading from Clay-street to Chingford. In cr adjoining to the old mansion was a chapel, dedicated to
St. Edward the Confessor; in which was a chantry, founded by Sir
William Tirwhit in 1442 (fn. 45) . That part of the parish is still called
In the year 1387, Sir Richard Stury and others granted to Robert
Dudley and others an estate, described as the manor of Wolkhamsted in Essex (fn. 46) ; by which name this parish is called in some
Edmund Duke of Somerset purchased a house and lands in Walthamstow of William Barton, anno 1453 (fn. 47) .
Thomas Tasker, who died in 1605, left to his wife Susan a
capital messuage in Walthamstow called Butler's-place, late in the
occupation of Sir Richard Baker, and before in that of Sir Roger
Wilbraham (fn. 48) . Sir Thomas Baker, son of Sir Richard, died seised
of a house in Walthamstow, in 1625 (fn. 49) .
Sir Charles Pole, Bart. has a villa at this place; and there are
several good houses, belonging to merchants and others.
The parish-church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is a brick
structure, consisting of a chancel, nave, and two aisles. At the west
end is a square tower, which was rebuilt by Sir George Monox;
who built also the chapel at the east end of the north aisle, about the
year 1535 (fn. 50) . The south aisle was built about the same year, with
a part of some monies left to charitable uses by Robert Thorne,
merchant-taylor, and citizen of London (fn. 51) . It does not appear that
he was connected with this parish, but Paul Withipol, proprietor of
the rectory manor, was his executor.
In Monox's chapel (at the east end of the north aisle) are the monuments of William Rowe, Esq. (fn. 52) (son of Sir Thomas,) 1596; Capt.
John Bonnell, 1703; Mary, his wife, (daughter of John Morice,
Esq. and grandaughter of Sir William Morice, Secretary of State to
Charles II.) 1691; Margaret, second wife of John Bonnell (fn. 53) ,
(daughter and heir of William Waterson, Esq.) 1736; Sarah, their
only daughter, 1766; James Bonnell, Esq. 1774; and Catherine,
daughter of Joshua Marshall, Esq. (then proprietor of the chapel (fn. 54) ,)
1737. On the floor are memorials of Grace, wife of Ambrose
Austalle, 1598; Anne, wife of Mr. Edward Darell, daughter of
John Pyott, Esq. 1684; Benjamin, son of Sir William Batten, Knt.
Surveyor of the Navy to Charles II. 1684; Mr. Archer Martin of
the island of Jamaica, merchant, 1707; Elizabeth Atkyns, grandaughter of Capt. John Bonnell, 1711; Sir William Coles, some
time sheriff of London, 1717; Elizabeth, wife of William Coles, Esq.
his grandson, 1733; and Richard Solly, merchant, 1729. When
Mr. Holman took his notes in 1719, there were memorials also
for Thomas Browne, Esq. (fn. 55) , 1582; and Paul Darby, citizen and
cloth-worker, 1699 (fn. 56) . In the vestry adjoining to this chapel is a
monument in memory of Daniel Finch, Esq. (fn. 57) , 1748; and William
Finch, Esq. 1758.
Tomb of George Monox.
Monument of Lady Lucy Stanley.
On the north side of the chapel, under the arch which divides it
from the chancel, is the tomb of Sir George Monox, the founder,
(some time Lord Mayor of London,) and Anne, his wife. The
figures of the deceased in brass are fixed in the wall, over the tomb;
but the plate which contained the inscription has been removed.
Sir George Monox died in 1543, his wife in 1500. Under the
next arch is the monument of Lady Lucy, daughter and one of the
coheirs of Thomas Earl of Northumberland, and wife of Sir
Edward Stanley, K. B. (fn. 58) , only surviving son of Sir Thomas Stanley
(second son of Edward Earl of Derby) by Margaret, daughter and
coheir of Sir George Vernon of Haddon in the county of Derby.
The date of her death is not mentioned (fn. 59) . She lies buried under
this monument, together with four daughters, who died in their
infancy. Three daughters survived her; Petronella, who died unmarried; Frances, married to John Fortescue, Esq. of Salden,
Bucks; and Venetia, married to Sir Kenelm Digby the elder. The
effigies of Lady Lucy Stanley is represented as large as the life, (with
a viscountess's coronet,) kneeling under an open arch. On the east
wall of the chancel is the monument of Mary, wife of Sir Thomas
Merry (fn. 60) , who died in 1632. It is ornamented with busts in white
marble of the deceased and her husband: underneath are four of
their children in alto relievo. On the south wall is the monument
of Parnel Nevil, Esq. 1755; and on the north wall that of Anne,
his wife (fn. 61) , 1776. On the floor are brass plates in memory of Henry
Crane, vicar, 1437; and Mrs. Hale, daughter of—Porter, 1588:
and the tombs of William Pierse, Bishop of Bath and Wells (fn. 62) , 1670;
and Mrs. Martha Ellis, sister of Anne Nevil, 1779. There was formerly a brass plate in memory of William Hyll, vicar, 1487 (fn. 63) .
In the chapel, at the end of the south aisle (fn. 64) , is a brass tablet, (fixed
against the north wall,) with the effigies of the deceased in his pulpit,
to the memory of George Johnson, minister of the Gospel, 1576; and
the monuments of Tristram Conyers, Esq. 1620; William Conyers,
Esq. serjeant at law, his nephew (fn. 65) , 1659; Tristram Conyers (fn. 66) , Esq.
(son of William,) 1684; Winifred, his wife, daughter of Sir Gilbert
Gerard, Bart. 1694; John Conyers, Esq. (fn. 67) , (son of Tristram,)
1724; Maria, his wife, (daughter and sole heir of Sir George Lee of
Shropshire, by Cecilia, daughter and sole heir of Robert Goodwin,
Esq. of Sussex,) 1701; Sir Gerard Conyers, Knt. Lord Mayor of
London (fn. 68) , 1737; Anne, his wife, daughter of Sir Christopher
Lethieullier, 1728; Anne, wife of John Wainwright (fn. 69) , and daughter of Edmund Clarke, 1717; Edmund Clarke, Esq. 1721;
Thomas Clarke, Esq. 1746; Martha, wife of William Bridges,
Esq. (fn. 70) , and daughter of Edmund Clarke, 1723. On the floor is a
brass plate in memory of Margery, wife of Bryan Nycolles, and
daughter of Marmaduke Fairbarne of Darlington, 1561; and the
tombs of William James, Gent. 1634; Elizabeth Alwyn, 1653;
her daughter Anne, wife of Thomas Westley, canon residentiary of
Wells, 1659; Mary, (daughter of Elizabeth Alwyn, and relict of
Bishop Pierse,) 1679; and Mr. Richard Terrill, 1755.
In the north aisle are the monuments of Henry Birkenhead,
1656; John Braint, Gent. (fn. 71) , 1728; Mary, his wife, daughter of
Edward Stourton, Gent. 1729; Edward Mores, Gent. (fn. 72) , of Great
Coxwell, Berks, 1740; Anne, his wife, daughter of Robert Rowe,
Esq. (eldest surviving son of Sir William Rowe of Higham Hill,)
1724; Martha, wife of James Cunningham (fn. 73) , and daughter of Sir
John Rush of Streatly, Berks, 1754; William Monke, M. D. 1765;
James Monke, Esq. 1766; William Monke, Esq. 1775; Mr. John
Bennett, 1791, and James Bennett, Esq. 1791. On the floor are
the tombs of Susan, wife of Francis Sams, and daughter of Edward Palmer of Lambourn in Essex, Esq. 1715; Charles Dumbleton,
Esq. 1771; and Charles Gough, Esq. 1774.
In the nave are monuments in memory of Charles Maynard, Esq. (fn. 74) ,
(eldest son of Charles Maynard, Esq. (fn. 75) , auditor of the Exchequer, by
Mary, daughter of Zeger Corselis of London, merchant,) 1665;
Sir William Maynard, Bart. his third son, 1685; Henry Maynard,
Esq. (fn. 76) , his fourth son, 1686; Edward Hillersdon (fn. 77) , merchant, youngest son of the Rev. John Hillersdon, archdeacon of Buckinghamshire, &c. (by Mary, daughter of William Johnson, Esq. of
Oulney,) 1713; Mary, his wife, (daughter of William Church,)
1740; William Nutt, Esq. (fn. 78) , 1718; Dorothy, his wife, daughter
of Ralph Hawkins, 1725; Mr. Thomas Sharp (fn. 79) , 1747; and
William Cooke, Esq. (fn. 80) , 1792. On the floor are the tombs of John
Johnson, citizen and merchant-taylor of London, 1650; Capt.
Robert Cowley, 1694; John Whitchurch, 1699; Mrs. Penelope
Wakelin, 1715; Thomas Pratt, Esq. 1756; and Mrs. Lydia
At the west end of the south aisle is the monument of Sigismond
Trafford, Esq. (fn. 81) of Dunton-hall, Lincolnshire, 1723, and his wife
Susannah, 1689 (with the effigies of the deceased as large as the
life, in white marble). In the same aisle are the monuments of
Anthony Lowther, Esq. (fn. 82) of Maske, 1692; William Walker, Esq. (fn. 83) ,
Principal of Clifford's-Inn, 1720; Jeremiah Wakelin, 1736; Josiah
Wakelin, 1740; and John Coant Wakelin, 1787. On the floor
are the tombs of Peter Lennards, Gent. 1647; Margaret, wife of
John Trafford, Esq. 1665; Edmund Trafford the younger, 1681;
Jeremiah Stokes, 1708; and William Bonner, Esq. son of the Hon.
Dr. John Bonner of Jamaica, 1714.
Tombs in the churchyard.
Against the east wall of the chancel, on the outside, is the
monument of Matthew Tate, B. A. fellow of King's College,
Cambridge, master of Walthamstow school, and only son of the
Rev. Matthew Tate, vicar of Burnham, Bucks, 1720. In the
churchyard are the tombs of Ralph Hawkins, citizen of London,
1696; Francis Coleman, Gent. 1702 (he lived with his wife
Hester 47 years, and had 18 children, 25 grandchildren, and one
great-grandchild); Thomas Wise, citizen of London, 1710; Thomas Turner, Gent. (fn. 84) , 1714; Benjamin Poole, Esq. (fn. 85) , 1714;
Thomas Blettsoe, merchant, 1715; Mary, wife of James Browne,
and daughter of Richard Atkyns, 1717; Thomas Marsden, citizen
and draper, 1719; Elizabeth, his daughter, wife of Stephen Gilly,
1736; Edward Mayhew, citizen of London, 1724; John Mayhew,
1726; Thomas Thompson, his son-in-law, 1726; Sarah, his daughter, wife of William Brock, 1729; Richard Chace, Esq. 1725;
Mary, relict of Matthew Humberstone of Lincolnshire, 1727;
Thomas Johnson, Esq. (eldest son of Sir John Johnson, Knt.)
1729; Lady Ursula, his wife, daughter of Thomas Earl of Plymouth, 1737; Mr. Samuel Huntly, 1733; Thomas Hide, Esq.
1733; Richard Hide, Esq. 1758; Lascoe Hide, Esq. 1769; Mr.
John Rigg, 1734; Jane, wife of John Rigg, Esq. 1776; John
Wilmer, Gent. 1737; Rebecca, wife of Robert Walter, citizen of
London, 1738; Mrs. Elizabeth Twynam, 1750; Peter Lefebure,
Esq. 1751; Peter Flower, son-in-law of John Braint, 1752; Sarah,
wife of John Dupree, Esq. 1757; Jane Mary, his second wife, and
relict, 1792; Edward Wickstead of London, bookseller, 1758;
Capt. Robert Deas, 1762; Thomas Manby, Esq. 1762; Richard
Manby, Esq. 1769; Mr. George Crossby, 1764; George Crossby,
Esq. 1789; Isabel, his daughter, wife of William Manby, Esq.
1790; Joseph Guinand, Esq. 1764; Sir Thomas Challenor, Knt.
1766; Dame Mary Challenor, 1769; Mr. Stephen Beuzeville,
1775; Thomas Sims, Esq. 1782; William Briscoe, 1777; Mary,
wife of Robert Briscoe, 1794; Mrs. Mary Wigram, 1777; Mrs.
Catherine Wigram, 1786; Sarah, wife of the Rev. William Bowra,
curate, 1778; John Stamp, Esq. goldsmith, 1780; William
Richards, Gent. 1781; John Hills, Esq. 1781; Mrs. Isabella
Lewis, aged 92, 1785; Stracy Till, Esq. 1785; John Jamet, merchant, 1787; Alice, wife of Ralph Fressilicque, Gent. 1789;
Nathaniel Free, Esq. 1789; Clara, wife of John Free, Esq. 1794;
Lewis Mestayer, Esq. Lieut. Col. and chief engineer for the East
India Company at Bengal, 1791; and William Pooley, Esq. 1792.
Strype mentions the tombs of Capt. William Moulton, 1695;
Dinah Beal, widow, 1703; Anne, daughter of Robert Gurnet, and
wife, 1. of John Williamson, 2. of Henry Gries, and 3. of Richard
Collard. She died in 1663, having lived a widow 35 years (fn. 86) .
Ralph de Toni gave a moiety of the tithes of this parish to the
abbey of Conches in Normandy. Alice, his widow, in 1108, gave
the other moiety to the prior and canons of the Holy Trinity in
London; who, having purchased of the abbot and convent of
Conches their portion, obtained a confirmation of the whole in the
year 1200 (fn. 87) . About this time the vicarage was endowed with all the
small tithes (fn. 88) . In 1545, the great tithes, with the manor of the
rectory, and the advowson of the vicarage, (then on lease to George
Monox,) were granted in fee to Paul and Edmund Withipol (fn. 89) . In
1600, Edmund Withipol (fn. 90) sold the whole to Sir Reginald Argall (fn. 91) .
The rectorial manor, the great tithes, and the advowson of the
vicarage, were afterwards separated.
John Argall sold the reversion of the rectorial manor (after the
death of Dame Anne Argall, widow of Sir Reginald) to John
Darell, Esq. and Catherine, his wife; whose daughter and heir
Elizabeth married Richard Cooper, Esq. (fn. 92) Richard Cooper the
younger, by his will, bearing date 1690, left the reversion of it, after
the death of his sister Elizabeth, to Sir Thomas Fanshaw of Jenkins,
his cousin, with remainder to John Fanshaw, Esq. brother of Sir
Thomas. In the year 1730, this manor being vested in Thomas
Fanshaw, Esq. of Parsloes, he sold it to John Fell, merchant, in
whose family it continued till 1783; when it was conveyed by
Joseph Fell the elder and Joseph Fell the younger to William Cooke,
Esq. Mr. Cooke, by his will, bearing date 1791, directed it to be
sold, and vested it, for that purpose, in trustees; who, in 1794,
conveyed it to Stephen Wilson, since a bankrupt. It is now about
to be sold by his assignees.
The great tithes continued in the Argall family till 1663, when
they were conveyed by Thomas Argall, Esq. to Robert Shipman,
who left them, by will, to his wife Dorothy: from her they passed,
in 1667, to John Mascall, merchant; whose descendant having, in
the year 1733, married Anne Asgyll, they devolved, (in consequence
of settlements then made,) on failure of issue from the said parties, to
Arthur Asgyll, (brother of Anne,) whose only daughter and heir
married Alexander Master, Esq. and, (the sole right and disposition
of this estate being vested in herself,) about the year 1785, bequeathed the said great tithes to the Rev. Joseph Cuthbert, who is
the present proprietor.
John Argall, Esq. brother of Sir Reginald above mentioned, sold
the advowson of the vicarage to Henry King, Bishop of Chichester,
whose son Henry left two daughters, coheirs, married to Edmund
Wyndham and Isaac Houblon; who sold this advowson, about the
year 1690, to John Conyers, Esq. (fn. 93) It is now vested in his descendant John Conyers, Esq. of Copt-hall.
The vicarage of Walthamstow is in the diocese of London, and
in the deanery of Barking. It is valued in the King's books at 15l.
per annum. The commissioners appointed to inquire into the state
of ecclesiastical benefices, in 1650, found by their inquest, that the
vicarage of Walthamstow was worth 40l. per annum, including the
tithes and glebe. John Wood was then vicar; he had been put in
by the committee of plundered ministers; but (says the inquest)
"he is now questioned for his abilities; and certain articles have
been exhibited against him to the committee, and he is disliked by
the greater part of the inhabitants, who will not come to church
to hear him; whereby there is great distraction in the parish."
The jurors report, that it was not known in whom the patronage of
the vicarage was vested, it having been long in suit, and then as yet
undetermined (fn. 94) . Henry Maynard, Esq. who died in 1686, left the
sum of 400l. to buy land (now 34l. 8s. 10d. per ann.) for the vicar,
on consideration of his preaching on Sunday afternoons, on St. Thomas's day, and on the anniversary of the donor's death, when his
will is to be read in the church. Mrs. Elizabeth Cooper, by
her will, bearing date 1708, gave the sum of 200l. to buy lands for
the vicar, which were purchased accordingly, and now produce
6l. 6s. per annum.
Bishop Cartwright and Edward Sparke, vicars.
Thomas Cartwright, afterwards Bishop of Chester, was vicar of
Walthamstow from 1658 till 1662 (fn. 95) . He was presented by Thomas
Millington, Esq. (fn. 96) , on the death of John Pigot, who is called in the
parish register a learned and pious divine. Edward Sparke (fn. 97)
succeeded Bishop Cartwright, and held the vicarage till 1666.
Edmund Chishull, vicar.
Edward Chishull, instituted to this vicarage in 1708, was a
learned antiquary and divine. He enjoyed the travelling fellowship
at Corpus Christi College in Oxford, and, being appointed chaplain
to the factory at Smyrna, he resided there between three and four
years (fn. 99) . His travels in Turkey were published by Dr. Mead, anno
1747. Mr. Chishull himself published an account of the antiquities
of Asia before the Christian æra, and wrote with success against
Dodwell. Several of his sermons are in print. He died in 1733.
The present vicar of Walthamstow is the Rev. Edward Conyers,
M. A. instituted in 1779, on the resignation of Henry Pemberton.
George Monox founded a chantry in Walthamstow church; the
revenues of which, at its suppression, in 1547, were valued at
6l. 13s. 4d. per annum (fn. 100) .
Oratory at Moones.
In the year 1536, Archbishop Cranmer granted a licence to
George Monox, Alderman of London, and his son Thomas, to
have the sacrament administered in the chapel, or oratory, in his
house called Moones, near Higham-hill; and that the wife of the
said Thomas should be churched there (fn. 101) .
Among the Cartæ Antiquæ, in the Muniment-room at St. Paul's
cathedral, is an order for the more solemn observation of processions
at Walthamstow, bearing date 1328.
About the year 1740, a meeting-house for Protestant diffenters
was established at this place, principally at the expence of Mr.
Coward; who placed there, as minister, Mr. Hugh Farmer, a man
of considerable eminence. In 1787, some disputes among the congregation occasioned the building of a new meeting-house; which
was opened in the month of July that year (fn. 102) . It is larger than the
old meeting-house; and has a cemetery adjoining.
There is no parochial register of baptisms of an older date than
1652; that of burials commences in 1645; the marriages in 1649.
Comparative state of population.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
In the chantry-roll for Essex, (anno 1547,) Walthamstow is said
to be a great town; having in it 360 houseling people (fn. 103) .
According to the return of the King's surveyor of houses and
windows, in 1762, there were then 301 houses in this parish;
of which 204 were taxable, 97 cottages. The present number of
houses is 386, exclusive of two sets of alms-houses, containing 20
In 1665 there were 68 burials.
Extracts from the Parish Register.
"Sr William Batten and Mrs Elizabeth Woodcock, married in
St John's church, London, Feb. 3, 1658–9. Sr William Batten,
buried Oct. 12, 1667." He was Surveyor of the Navy to
Charles II. (fn. 104)
Sir William Rowe.
"Dame Elizabeth Rowe, buried Dec. 30, 1669." Widow of
Sir William Rowe of Higham-hill; of whose burial I find no entry.
He had taken so active a part against the Royal cause, as to occasion
his commitment to prison, soon after the Restoration (fn. 105) . His cousin,
Col. Rowe of Hackney, was one of the regicides; and died during
his imprisonment in the Tower (fn. 106) . "Mary, daughter of Sr William
Rowe, and wife of Mr William Heydon, buried from Highamhills, June 6, 1673."
May 19, 1670; then was buried the Right Revd Father in
God William Ld Bishop of Bath and Wells, the oldest Bishop
in Christendom, either in respect of age, or else of consecration,
being 94 years old." Bishop Pierse, having been canon of Christ's
Church in Oxford, was made Bishop of Peterborough in 1630, and
translated to Bath and Wells in 1632 (fn. 107) . He was a zealous loyalist
during the civil war, and suffered much persecution. In the latter
part of his life he resided at Walthamstow (fn. 108) .
"Richard Penn, Gent. second son of Sr William Penn, Knt, from
Rickmersworth, buried Apl 9, 1673; the Lady Penn, Mar. 4,
Lady Gertrude, wife of Sr William Holcroft, Knt, buried
June 5, 1674; Sr William Holcroft of Low Leyton, June 8,
Dec. 11, 1674, was buried a child of Mr. Claypooles, son-in-law
to Oliver Cromwell,
This child was not by Cromwell's daughter, but by
Mr. Claypoole's second wife, who was buried at Walthamstow,
Oct. 10, 1692.
The Lady Leighenberg, buried Sep. 16, 1681."
Sr James Robinson, Bart, and Mrs. Anne Jesson, both of London, married May 1, 1699."
Thomas Windham, Esq. (son of Sr Francis Windham, Bart,)
and Lucy, daughter of Mr Richard Mead, married Apl 17,
The Lady Smith (fn. 109) , from Upton, buried May 8, 1712."
Family of Maynard.
Sr William Maynard, Bart, buried Jan. 2, 1715–6; Dame Mary
Maynard, Feb. 20, 1716–7; William, son of Sr Henry Maynard,
baptized May 3, 1721; Sr Henry Maynard, buried Nov. 24,
1738." There are other entries relating to the Maynard family.
Family of Conyers.
"Dame Anne, wife of Sr Gerard Conyers, Alderman of London,
buried Dec. 24, 1729; Sr Gerard Conyers, Knt and Alderman,
Aug. 3, 1737; the Hon. Matilda Conyers (fn. 110) , wife of Edward
Conyers, Esq. May 20, 1741." There are several other entries
relating to the Conyers family; who resided many years at Walthamstow, in a mansion built by Tristram Conyers, who died in
1620. It was lately the property of Thomas Grosvenor, Esq. and
now of William Selwyn, Esq. by whom it has been new fronted.
John, son of Edward Ld Murray and Frances his wife,
baptized July 6, 1733."
Dame Elizabeth, wife of Sr Edward Bellamie, buried Mar. 26,
1741; Sr Edward Bellamy, Knt and Alderman, Ap. 12, 1749."
Thomas Grosvenor, Esq. of Swell in Somersetshire, and Miss
Deborah Skynner of Walthamstow, married Sep. 21, 1758."
Sr Henry Blunt, Bart, buried Oct. 20, 1759."
Stephen Lushington, Esq. (now Sr Stephen Lushington, Bart.)
and Hester Boldero, married June 6, 1771."
Edward Rowe Mores.
Edward Rowe Mores from Leyton, buried Dec. 8, 1778."
Mr. Mores was descended, by the mother's side, from the family of
Rowe of Higham-hill in this parish. He was born, about the year
1729, at Tunstall in Kent; where his father was rector many years.
He received his education at Merchant-Taylors' school, and at
Queen's College in Oxford, being intended for holy orders. He
distinguished himself as a scholar and an antiquary, by publishing,
before he left the university, (being then not 20 years of age,) a list
of the knights and barons who fought under Edward I. In 1753,
he took the degree of M. A. In 1760, he retired to Low Leyton;
where he built a whimsical house, (now called Etloe-place, in the
occupation of Mr. Clementson,) which became his principal residence.
In 1762, he took an active part in establishing a society for assurance
of lives and survivorships; (the plan of which was formed some years
ago by Mr. Dodson of Christ's Hospital). At its first institution Mr.
Mores was made perpetual director, with a salary of 100l. per annum; but, in 1768, he resigned his office, in consequence of some
dispute with the members. This establishment still subsists in a very
flourishing state: it is now called the Equitable Society for Assurance
on Lives, &c. in Bridge-street, Blackfriars. Mr. Mores died on the
28th of November 1778. His publications were few, but his
collections made with a view to publication very ample. A history
of his native parish, (Tunstall,) which he left ready for the press, has
been published since his death by Mr. Nichols. His collections for a
history of Berkshire, of Godstow nunnery, &c. with several plates,
engraved at his expence, are now in the library of Richard Gough,
Esq. at Enfield. His collections relating to All Souls College in
Oxford, and the city of Salisbury, three volumes of extracts from
wills in the Prerogative-office, and extracts from the registry of the
see of Canterbury, are in the library of Thomas Astle, Esq. at Battersea Rise. They were purchased at the sale of his books and MSS.
in August 1779 (fn. 112) .
Family of Maitland, Earl of Lauderdale.
The Rt Hon. James Maitland, commonly called Ld Visct. Maitland, and Eleanor Todd (fn. 113) , married Aug. 15, 1782; Anthony,
second son of Ld Visct Maitland (now Earl of Lauderdale) and
Eleanor, born June 10, 1785; Mary, their daughter, Jany 4,
1788; John, Mar. 5, 1789; Julian Jane, Oct. 10, 1791;
Charlotte, Oct. 10, 1792; Charles, Nov. 8, 1793."
Samuel Long, Esq. and the Rt Hon. Lady Jane Maitland,
married (with consent of her father the Earl of Lauderdale)
Dec. 31, 1787."
The Revd Hugh Farmer, buried Feb. 17, 1787." A learned
writer among the presbyterian dissenters. He was minister of a
congregation at Walthamstow more than forty years. His principal
work was a differtation on miracles; he published also several sermons,
and was frequently engaged in controversial writings, particularly
with Dr. Worthington, whom he opposed in his opinions concerning
the scripture demoniacs. Mr. Farmer was born at a village near
Shrewsbury, in the year 1714 (fn. 114) .
Instances of Longevity.
Jan. 21, 1656–7, buried Eleanor Shepherd, alias Catline, being
near upon a hundred years old."
Bishop Pierse, buried in 1670, was 94.
Anne Scott, widow, aged 99, buried from the alms-row,
July 12, 1675; Thomas Pyle, aged 95, from the alms-row,
July 23, 1675; Anthony Thipthap, aged 96, Feb. 22, 1705–6;
Laurence Carver, alms-man, 95, Apl 26, 1713; Jane Herbert,
spinster, 94, Dec. 17, 1717; Mrs Dorothy Hawkins, widow,
90, Sep. 7, 1719; Mrs Elizabeth Trafford, spinster, 96, Nov.
27, 1732; Anne Seville, widow, 107, Apl 26, 1741; Mary
Bishop, said to be aged 109, Ap. 13, 1776; Elizabeth Edwards, 90, June 13, 1782; Elizabeth Godfrey, 90, Apl 14,
1787; Jane Webber, near 100, Jan. 31, 1789; Mary Airey
Gutterson, 97, Jan. 26, 1792; John Godfrey, 91, Nov. 21,
1793; Sarah Bridgman, 91, May 13, 1794."
George Gascoigne, a celebrated poet in the reign of Queen
Elizabeth, is supposed to have been a native of Walthamstow. He
was bred to the law, but disliking that profession, he quitted it for
the army, and signalized himself much in foreign countries: at
length, returning to England, he settled upon his patrimony at this
place; where, according to Wood and Coxeter, he died and was
buried; but there is some reason to doubt both (fn. 115) . He published
several poems and dramatic pieces (fn. 116) . To one of his works, "the
Steel Glass, a Satire," is prefixed his portrait in armour; on his
right hand hangs a musket, and at his left hand is placed an inkhorn; beneath is this motto, "Tam Marti quam Mercurio."
Gwillim the herald.
Gwillim the herald resided at Walthamstow, as appears by his account
of Queen Elizabeth's funeral, printed in the Monumenta Vetusta.
Monox's school, and alms-houses.
George Monox, Alderman of London, built 13 alms-houses on
the north side of the churchyard, for eight men and five women,
with a school-house and apartments for a master. By his will he
bequeathed certain rent-charges, issuing out of houses in Fenchurchstreet and Mark-lane, and amounting all together to the sum of
42l. 17s. 4d. to be thus appropriated: 6l. 13s. 4d. as a salary for
the school-master; 7s. 7d. a week to each of the pensioners; 5l.
for coals; 1l. 6s. 8d. to the parish clerk, and 5l. 13s. 4d. for a
commemoration of his death; the remainder to go towards the
repair of the alms-houses, school, and the north aisle of the church,
and chancel. Edward, son of Roger Alford, who was one of
Monox's executors, settled a rent-charge of 9l. per annum on the
alms-houses. Henry Maynard, Esq. who died in 1686, gave the
sum of 200l. to buy lands, (which now produce 17l. 9s. 5d. per
annum,) appropriating the rent to the school-master, on condition of
his teaching eight poor boys, to be appointed by his representatives,
and reading prayers every Sunday in the church (fn. 117) . He gave also
the sum of 300l. to buy lands (now let at 26l. 4s. 5d.) for the poor
in Monox's alms-houses; and 50l. to be laid out in lands, (now let
at 4l. 7s. 4d.); out of which 10s. is to be given to the clerk, and
the remainder to the parish officers (fn. 118) .
The number of boys in the school is 30; who are clothed
and educated, the endowments above mentioned being aided by
collections at an annual sermon; out of which also 20 girls are
clothed and educated. The girls' school was established about the
There is a school also for very young children, in which about 30
are taken care of, till of an age to be admitted into the other schools;
and there is a Sunday-school, in which there are between 60 and 70
An account of Robert Ozler's school, in which 10 children of this
parish are educated, has been given in the parish of Leyton, where
the school-house is situated.
Mrs. Squires's alms-houses.
Mrs. Mary Squires, in the year 1795, built six alms-houses for
widows of decayed tradesmen of the church of England, and of the
parish of Walthamstow. The founder, who is still living, gives a
pension of 4l. per annum and six sacks of coals to each of the almswomen, and has declared her intention of augmenting the pensions
at her death.
How vested, and the present Value.
||William Hill, vicar,
||An acre of land, let at 1l. 6s.
||Repair of the church.
||Rent-charge of 2l. per ann.
||His whole fortune, laid out in lands, anno 1635, then 7l. per ann. now 17l.
||Poor, on St. Thomas's day.
||William Conyers, Esq.
||Rent-charge of 7l. 10s. per ann.
||Rent-charge of 3l. per ann.
||Land, now 4l. 13s. per ann.
||16 acres of land were purchased with various small donations, then 5l. per ann. now 27l. 14s.
||Houses and land, now 6l. 10s. per ann.
||Sermon, and dinner, 2l. 15s.; remainder to the poor.
||130l. to buy land (fn. 119) ,
||Rent-charge of 10l. per ann.
||Lands, now 14l. per ann.
||Repair of his tomb; remainder to the poor.
||Tho. Legendre, Esq.
||Interest of 600l. now 564l. 3 percent. red. annu.(16l. 18s. 2d.)
||Mrs. Cath. Woolball,
||Interest of 400l. now 445l. 3 percent. red. annu. (13l. 7s. 2d.)
||By deed, 13l. per ann.
||100l. 3 per cents.
||Repair of his tomb; remainder to the poor.
Paul Withipol, in 1547, gave, by will, 20l. to mend the roads
between Walthamstow and Stratford-Langthorne.
Wakelin's conditional benefaction.
Jeremiah Wakelin, in 1735, gave some land to the parish, (now
let at 3l. per annum,) on condition that he and his heirs should enjoy
for ever a pew and right of burial in Walthamstow church, together
with the privilege of erecting a monument; the said rent to be given
away on New-year's-day, in meat or bread.