CHAPTER 29 - PRATT WALK, FORMERLY PRATT STREET
A house at the corner of Pratt Walk and Lambeth Road formerly
bore a tablet inscribed “Pratt Street, 1775.” (ref. 156) The street was laid out on
copyhold land (fn. a) held by Sir Joseph Mawbey, Bart., and named after his wife's
and his mother's family. (fn. b) Of the original houses only Nos. 4–8 (consec.)
Nos. 4–8 form a terrace of houses whose regularity is broken only by
the varying of their doorcase detail. They are built in stock brick with gauged
flat arches and windows in recess.
Nos. 4–12 Pratt Walk, elevation. Measured drawing by Evelyn Prior
The doorway to No. 5 has a plain panelled wood surround and flat
hood, while those to Nos. 6 and 7 are similar, though their hoods are set
forward and have fluted friezes. No. 8 has an open pedimented doorcase
with a key-block above the semi-circular fanlight. Nos. 9–12 form a more
humble terrace one storey less in height; like Nos. 4–8, they have plain
parapets and copings.
||The ground had belonged to the Jackson family for the previous century. When it was
purchased by Mawbey in 1762 it comprised a messuage, barn, stable and garden containing 4 acres.
Mawbey also owned the adjoining ground in Church Street (Lambeth Road) on which stood the
Britannia and 4 tenements, and 21 tenements in Nevill's Yard. (ref. 277)
||Sir Joseph's mother, Martha, was the granddaughter of John Pratt, who served as a
Colonel on the Parliament side in the Civil war. Sir Joseph's wife, Elizabeth Pratt, was John
Pratt's great granddaughter by another line.
Home Counties Mag., vol. 6, 1924.
||Church Commissioners: Deeds, 171197,