BHO

Survey of London: Volume 23, Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall

Edited by Howard Roberts and Walter H Godfrey. Published to coincide with the Festival of Britain Exhibition of 1951, this volume covers the northern, riverside portion of Lambeth, between Waterloo and Vauxhall Bridges. As well as giving the history of the Festival site itself, the book focuses on the venerable buildings and monuments then scattered among the mostly nineteenth-century houses, dwellings and factories. Chief of these is the Archbishop of Canterbury's residence, Lambeth Palace, which is described and illustrated in detail. Other buildings covered include the Church of St John, Waterloo Road, and some of the eighteenth-century terrace-houses in Kennington Road and Lambeth Road.

Survey of London. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1951.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.

Table of contents

Title Page(s)
Publishing and Survey committees v-viii
List of plates xi-xviii
List of illustrations xix-xxi
Preface xxiii-xxiv
Index plan
Introduction 1-11
Prince's Meadows 12-17
Nos 59-171 and 64-184 Stamford Street 18-22
Waterloo Bridge 23-24
Waterloo Road 25-31
Church of St John the Evangelist, Waterloo Road 32-36
The Royal Victoria Hall - "The Old Vic" 37-39
York Road 40-44
River frontage between Waterloo and Westminster Bridges 45-46
Shot Tower and Lead Works, No. 63 Belvedere Road 47
No. 59 Belvedere Road 48-49
No. 55 Belvedere Road 50
Lambeth Waterworks and Lion Brewery 51-54
Hungerford or Charing Cross Bridge 55
The Hopes, King's Arms Stairs, and Jenkins Street 56-57
Coade's Artificial Stone Works 58-61
The County Hall 62-65
Westminster Bridge 66-68
Westminster Bridge Road 69-74
Carlisle House and Carlisle Lane 75-76
Stangate, Stangate Street and Lambeth Marsh 77-78
St Thomas' Hospital 79-80
Lambeth Palace 81-103
Church of St Mary, Lambeth 104-117
Lambeth Bridge and its predecessor the Horseferry 118-121
Lambeth Road 122-124
The Walcot Estate 125-127
Kennington Road 128-136
Norfolk House and Old Paradise Street 137-140
Pratt Walk 141
Water Lambeth 142-143
Black Prince Road and Doris Street 144
Vauxhall Walk 145
Vauxhall Gardens and Kennington Lane 146-147
Albert Embankment 148-149
Appendix: Pedigree of Clayton 150
References 151-155
Index 156-170
Frontispiece
Plate 1: Plan of the manor of Kennington, 1636 1
Plate 2: General plan of the manor of Kennington, 1785 2
Plate 3: “Plan of the Princes Meadow in its present state and Design for Letting it ... 1815” 3
Plate 4: Plan and elevation of Waterloo Bridge, circa 1817 4
Plate 5: Hungerford and Waterloo bridges 5
Plate 6 6
Plate 7 7
Plate 8 8
Plate 9: St. Andrew's Church, Coin Street, 1945 9
Plate 10: Nos. 63–91 and 78-106 Stamford Street 10
Plate 11: Waterloo Road 11
Plate 12: St. John's Church, Waterloo Road, southwest elevation 12
Plate 13: St. John's Church, exterior, 1929 13
Plate 14: St. John's Church, interior, circa 1930 14
Plate 15: St. John's Church, plans of crypt and ground floor 15
Plate 16: St. John's Church, sections and elevation 16
Plate 17: St. John's Church, south-east elevation with plan of site inset 17
Plate 18: The old watch house, Waterloo Road, circa 1930 18
Plate 19: Royal Coburg Theatre 19
Plate 20: The looking-glass curtain at the Royal Coburg Theatre, 1822 20
Plate 21: No. 86 Waterloo Road, details 21
Plate 22: No. 86 Waterloo Road, ceiling in ground storey shop, 1949 22
Plate 23 23
Plate 24: Waterloo Bridge approach, west side, 1949 24
Plate 25: York Road, 1949 25
Plate 26 26
Plate 27: Lying-in Hospitals 27
Plate 28: Manners Street and College Street 28
Plate 29 29
Plate 30: Shot Tower, Belvedere Road, plans, elevation and section, 1948 30
Plate 31: The Lion Brewery, 1836 31
Plate 32: Lion Brewery, north-west side of Belvedere Road, 1930 32
Plate 33: No. 55 Belvedere Road, elevations and plans 33
Plate 34: Belvedere Road, 1946 34
Plate 35: Belvedere Road, 1948-9 35
Plate 36: Door knockers from Lambeth district 36
Plate 37 37
Plate 38: Coade's Artificial Stone Manufactory 38
Plate 39 39
Plate 40: Boat of the Roman period uncovered on the site of County Hall, 1910 40
Plate 41: County Hall 41
Plate 42: County Hall, interior of Council Chamber, 1938 42
Plate 43: Asylum for female orphans 43
Plate 44: Christ Church, Westminster Bridge Road, 1950 44
Plate 45 45
Plate 46: Astley's Royal Amphitheatre, circa 1850 46
Plate 47: Canterbury Hall, Upper Marsh, 1947 47
Plate 48: A view of Westminster Bridge, 1791 48
Plate 49: Westminster Bridge Approach, 1900 49
Plate 50 50
Plate 51: Manor of Lambeth Enclosure Map, 1806 (northern part) 51
Plate 52: Statue of Edward VI, St. Thomas' Hospital 52
Plate 53: Four figures at the main entrance to St. Thomas' Hospital, 1950 53
Plate 54: Statue of Sir Robert Clayton, St. Thomas' Hospital 54
Plate 55 55
Plate 56 56