Prideaux, of Netherton, 1622. — This ancient family was originally of
Prideaux castle, in Cornwall. A younger branch settled at Orchardton,
in the parish of Modbury, in this county, in the reign of Henry III.
The elder line of the Orchardton branch became extinct in the reign of
Queen Elizabeth. A younger son of this branch settled at Adeston, in
Holbeton, and afterwards removed to Theoborough, or Thuborough, in
Sutcomb. Before the separation from the Orchardton branch, the heiresses
of Treverbin and Clifford, and daughters of Mortimer, Earl of March, and
Montacute, Earl of Salisbury, had married into this family. Sir John,
second son of Sir Piercy Prideaux, of Orchardton, Knight Banneret,
acquired Adeston, by his marriage with the heiress of Adeston: his son
married the heiress of Gavestone, his grandson, the heiress of Bromford;
his great grandson the heiress of Giffard, of Thuborough. Sir Richard
Prideaux, sixth in descent from Sir John above mentioned, had two sons,
William of Thuborough (fn. 1) , and Roger of Soldon, in the parish of Holsworthy. This Roger had two sons, Nicholas (fn. 2) , and Edmund, an eminent
lawyer, who purchased Netherton, and was created a baronet in 1622.
The second wife of Sir Edmund Prideaux, the fourth baronet, (who died
in 1719,) was a co-heiress of Saunderson of Lincolnshire. Sir Edmund,
the fifth baronet, had two daughters co-heiresses, married to Winstanley of
Leicestershire, and Basset of Tehidy, in Cornwall. Sir John Prideaux,
half-brother of Edmund, was the sixth baronet, and was succeeded by his
grandson, Sir John Wilmot Prideaux, the present baronet.
A younger branch of Prideaux of Netherton, being descended from a
younger son of the first baronet, who married a co-heiress of Franceis of
Comb Flory, in Somersetshire, was of Ford Abbey. The heiress of this
branch, in 1690, married Gwynn.
Arms: — Arg. a chevron, S., a label of three points.
Crest: — On a cap of dignity, a Saracen's head, couped at the shoulders,
looking sideways, Proper.
Wrey, of Tawstock, 1628. — The ancestors of this ancient family
were originally of Wrey, in the parish of Moreton Hampstead, whence
they removed to North Russel (fn. 3) , and afterwards, in consequence of a
marriage with the heiress of Killigrew, to Trebigh, in Cornwall. Sir
William Wrey was described of Trebigh, when created a baronet, in 1628.
At an earlier period, the heiresses of Holway and Norris had married into
this family. Sir Chichester Wrey, the second baronet, married the Countess
Dowager of Middlesex, who was one of the co-heiresses of Edward
Bourchier, Earl of Bath. (fn. 4) In consequence of this marriage, he became
possessed of Tawstock, in Devonshire, the present seat of the family, and
other estates in the county. Sir Bourchier Wrey, the third baronet, was a
distinguished military officer. His grandson, Sir Bourchier, is the present
and sixth baronet.
Arms: — Sable, a fesse between three pole-axes, Argent, helved, Gules.
Crest of Wrey: — An arm embowed, habited, S. the hand, Proper,
holding a hatchet, Arg., helved, G.
The present baronet uses the crest of Bourchier, and bears the arms of
Plantagenet, Bourchier, and Bohun, quartered with Wrey. (fn. 5)
Pole, of Shute, 1628. — Arthur Pole, ancestor of this ancient family
who settled in Devonshire in the reign of Richard II., was a younger son
of Pole or Poole, of Poole, in the hundred of Wirral, in Cheshire. This
Arthur married the heiress of Pole of Honiton. (fn. 6) Sir William Pole, fifth
in descent from Arthur, was the industrious and learned collector of the
valuable materials for a history of his native county, which were published
by his descendant, the late Sir John William De la Pole, in 1791. He
married a co-heiress of Chief Baron Periam. His eldest son, John, was
created a baronet in the lifetime of his father, and died in 1635. Periam
Pole, a younger son of Sir William, was ancestor of the Poles of Ireland,
of whom the late William Pole, Esq. (fn. 7) , was the representative. Sir William
Templer Pole (fn. 8) , the present baronet, is the seventh in succession.
Arms: — Azure, semée-de-lis, Or, a lion rampant, Argent.
Crest: — A lion's gamb, G., armed, Or.
Bampfylde, of Poltimore, July 14. 1641. — John Baumfield, ancestor of
this family, acquired Poltimore, in the reign of Edward I.; his father
married the heiress of Faber, and the pedigree is traced two generations
higher. John Baumfield, the fifth in descent from John, who settled at
Poltimore, married the heiress of Pederton, and had two sons, the younger
of whom was ancestor of the Bampfyldes of Hardington, in Somersetshire,
(his mother's inheritance,) extinct about the beginning of the eighteenth
century. William, the great grandson of the last-mentioned John, married
a co-heiress of St. Maure. John Bampfylde, Esq., the sixth in descent from
William, was created a baronet in 1641. He married one of the coheiresses of the elder branch of Copleston. Sir Richard Warwick Bampfylde, the late baronet, married the heiress of Codrington, by the heiress
of Gorges of Wraxall, in Somersetshire; his son, Sir Charles Warwick
Bampfylde, is the fifth baronet, and the seventeenth in lineal descent from
John Baumfield, who first acquired Poltimore.
Arms: — Or, on a bend, G., three mullets, Arg.
Crest: — On a wreath a lion's head, erased, Sab., ducally crowned, G.
Northcote, of Hayne, July 16. 1641. — This family derives its descent
from Galfridus de Northcote, who possessed Northcote, in the parish of
East Downe, in the twelfth century. After many descents, during which
the heiresses or co-heiresses of Hilion, Meols, Hawkworthy, Guamed or
Mamhede, and Passmere, married into the family, Walter Northcote
acquired Hayne, in the parish of Newton St. Cyres, by marriage with the
heiress of Drew. This Walter left a daughter and heiress, married to
Yarde. John Northcote, elder son of his brother John, was created a
baronet, in 1641; he married the heiress of Haswell; his son, Sir Arthur,
the heiress of Welsh. Sir Henry, the fifth baronet, married the heiress of
Stafford, of Pynes, in the parish of Upton Pyne, now the seat of the
family. His son, Sir Stafford Henry Northcote, is the sixth and present
Arms: — Quarterly, 1. and 4., Arg., a fesse between three crosses molines, Sab. 2. and 3., Arg., three crosses in bend, S.
Crest: — Upon a cap of dignity, a stag trippant, Arg.
Chichester, of Ralegh, August 4. 1641. — This family is said to have
taken its name from Cirencester, in Gloucestershire, the residence of its
remote ancestors. The first person of the family mentioned by Prince is
Waleran de Cirencester, great-grandfather of Sir Thomas de Cirencester (fn. 9) ,
who was lord of the manor of St. Mary Church, in the reign of Henry III.
Richard, great grandson of Sir Thomas, is said to have been the first of
the family who wrote his name Chichester. Sir John Chichester, grandson
of Richard, married the heiress of Ralegh, of Ralegh, in the parish of
Pilton. John, son of Sir John, married the heiress of Woolton, or Wotton,
of Widworthy. Richard, a younger son of this John, was ancestor of the
Chichesters of Hall. (fn. 10) John, great-grandson of the last-mentioned John,
married the heiress of Beaumont, of Youlston: by a second wife, he had
two sons, ancestors of the Chichesters of Arlington (fn. 11) and Widworthy.
Edward, son of the first wife, married a daughter of Bourchier, Earl of
Bath. His son, Sir John, was father of Sir John Chichester of Ralegh, who
died of the gaol-fever, so fatal at the assizes at Exeter, in 1585; Arthur
Chichester, Lord Deputy of Ireland, created Lord Belfast, who died
without issue; Sir Edward Chichester of Eggesford, created Viscount
Carrickfergus, ancestor of the present Marquis of Donegal; and other
children. Sir Robert Chichester, K. B., son of Sir John Chichester of
Ralegh, married one of the co-heiresses of Lord Harington of Exeter, by
whom he had an only daughter, married to an ancestor of the Earl of
Aylesbury. John Chichester, Esq., of Ralegh, his son by a second wife,
was created a baronet in 1641. Sir John Chichester, the fifth baronet,
who died in 1784, married one of the co-heiresses of Sir George Chudleigh, Bart. Sir Arthur Chichester of Youlston, cousin (fn. 12) of the late Sir
John Chichester, is the present and seventh baronet.
Arms: — Checky, Or, and G., a chief Vaire.
Crest: — On a wreath, a heron rising with an eel in his beak, Proper.
Davie, of Creedy, Sept. 9. 1641. — The original name of this family
was De la Way, taken from a place called Way or Wey, in the parish of
St. Giles, which was their ancient inheritance, and which the heiress of
Walter De la Way brought at a very early period to the Pollards. In
process of time, the name of the younger branch, which continued the
male line, was altered to Dewey, De Vye, or Davy. (fn. 13) Robert de Via,
or Davye, in the early part of the fourteenth century married the
heiress of Owlacombe. The heiress of Upcot of Upcot, in Beaford, married into this family also at an early period. They flourished for many
years at Upcot, and at Ebberleigh and Owlacombe or Oldacombe, both
William Davie, Esq., was member for Barnstaple in 1446; his son
Richard had two sons, William the elder, who continued at Ebberleigh (fn. 14) ,
and Robert, who settled at Crediton. This Robert married the heiress of
Thomas, by the heiress of Bardolph, and had four sons, John, ancestor of
the Davies of Crediton; Gilbert, ancestor of the Davies of Canon
Teign (fn. 15) ; Lawrence, ancestor of the Davies of Medland (fn. 16) ; and John,
ancestor of the Davies of Creedy. This last-mentioned John was mayor
of Exeter in 1584, and in that year entertained Don Antonio, King of
Portugal: his son of the same name was created a baronet in 1641. The
second wife of Sir John Davie, the third baronet, was a co-heiress of
Reynell, by a co-heiress of Periam. Sir William Davie, his successor, was
the son of a younger son of the first baronet; he also dying without male
issue, the title went to John, son of Humphrey, youngest son of the first
Baronet. This Sir John was great-great grandfather of Sir John Davie
of Creedy, the present and ninth baronet.
Arms: — Arg. a chevron, S., between three mullets pierced, Gules.
Crest: — A holy lamb.
Acland, of Columbjohn, 1644. — This ancient family derived its name
from Aclana, or Akeland, (i. e. Oakland,) in the parish of Landkey, which
had been their property and residence for sixteen descents at the time of
the last heralds' visitation, in 1620. Before the year 1500, the heiresses
or co-heiresses of Leigh, (of Leigh in Loxbeare,) Hawkridge, Riverton,
and Hakworthy, had married into the family. John Acland, who lived about
the latter end of the fifteenth, or the beginning of the sixteenth century,
had two sons, the younger of whom, Anthony, left posterity settled at
Hawkridge, and afterwards at Fremington. (fn. 17) John, grandson of the lastmentioned John, (in the elder line,) married a co-heiress of Radcliffe, and
had two sons, the younger of whom, Sir John Acland, is recorded by
Prince for his extensive charities, and his benefactions to his native county
and to the university of Oxford. He built the house at Columbjohn,
which was some time the chief seat of the family.
Sir Arthur Acland, son of Hugh, elder brother of Sir John, and heir
to his father and uncle, married the heiress of Malet of Wooley. John
(son of Sir Arthur) was a zealous royalist, and garrisoned his house at
Columbjohn for the King. He was created a baronet in 1644, but the patent
not having been made out, it was confirmed to his younger son Hugh (fn. 18) , in
1677, with precedency from the date of the former patent. Sir Hugh Acland,
the sixth baronet, (being grandson of the last-mentioned Hugh,) married
a co-heiress of Sir Thomas Wroth, Bart. A younger son of this Sir Hugh
settled at Fairfield in Somersetshire. (fn. 19) Sir Thomas Acland, the seventh
baronet, married the heiress of Dyke of Somersetshire, and was succeeded
by his grandson John, son of the brave Major Acland, distinguished by
his gallant services in America, and of the excellent Lady Harriot (fn. 20) , whose
sufferings and resolution, during an anxious attendance upon her husband,
throughout the perils of a long campaign, have been related by the pen of
General Burgoyne, and will bear comparison with what has been recorded
of the most celebrated heroine of antiquity. The present and tenth
baronet is son of the late baronet, and nephew of the brave Major Acland
and Lady Harriot.
Arms: — Checky A. and S., a fesse, G.
Crest: — On a wreath a man's hand couped at the wrist, with a glove
on, and a falcon perched thereon, Proper.
Carew, of Haccombe, 1661. — The first of the ancient baronial family
of Carew, or De Carru, who was connected with Devonshire, was Sir
John de Carru, who married one of the co-heiresses of Sir William Mohun,
of Mohun's Ottery, about the year 1300. The only son of this marriage
died without issue. Sir John's second wife was a daughter of Lord
Talbot. Sir Nicholas, his great-great-grandson, married the heiress of
Courtenay of Haccombe, by the heiress of L'Ercedekne, Archdekne, or
Archdeacon. This lady, being in her widowhood possessed of most of
the great estates of the family, gave Haccombe to her second son (fn. 21) Nicholas. Thomas Carew, Esq., sixth in descent from Nicholas, was created a
baronet in 1661; he married a co-heiress of Carew of Bickleigh, and to
his second wife, the heiress of Duck, by whom he had an only daughter.
Sir Thomas, the fourth baronet, married one of the co-heiresses of West.
His great grandson, Sir Henry, the seventh and present baronet, married
the heiress of the late Walter Palk, Esq.
Arms: — See Carew Earl of Totnes.
Crest: — On a wreath, a main-mast, the round top set off with palisadoes, Or, a lion issuing thereout, Sable.
Supporters: — Two antelopes, G., armed and unguled, Arg.
Rogers, of Wisdom, 1698. — John Rogers, Esq., who was created a
baronet by King William III., was an eminent merchant and M. P. for
Plymouth: he was the immediate descendant of Mr. John Rogers, the
first martyr in Queen Mary's reign. Sir John Lemon Rogers is the fourth
in descent from the first Sir John, and is the fifth baronet. The seat of
the family has been, of late years, at Blachford in Cornwood. Wisdom
is now a farm-house.
Arms: — Arg. a chevron, G., between three roebucks current, S., attired
and gorged with ducal coronets, Or.
Crest: — On a mount, Vert., a roebuck current, Proper, attired and
gorged with a ducal coronet, Or, between two branches of laurel, Proper.
Duntze, of Rockbeare House, 1774. — John Duntze, a merchant in
Exeter, and M. P. for Tiverton, was created a baronet in 1774, and was
father of Sir John Duntze of Tiverton, the second and present baronet.
Arms: — Arg. a holy lamb passant, Or.
Crest: — A mullet between two eagles' wings.
Baker, of Loventor, in the parish of Berry Pomeroy, 1776. — Sir
George Baker, late physician in ordinary to His Majesty, was created a
baronet Aug. 24. 1776. His father was rector of West Allington, and
his ancestors had for several generations been possessed of property in the
county. Sir Frederick, son of Sir George, the second and present baronet,
resides at Bath, but possesses property in the county. Loventor is inhabited by his aunt.
Arms: — Arg. on a saltier engrailed, Sable, five escallops of the first;
on a chief of the second a lion passant of the field.
Crest: — A dexter arm embowed, vested, Azure, cuffed, Arg., holding
in the hand, Proper, an arrow of the last.
Palk, of Haldon House, 1782.— The ancestors of this family were
resident in Devonshire, and possessed of Ambrook, in the parish of Ipplepen, about the end of the fifteenth century. Sir Robert Palk was created
a baronet in 1782. The present and third baronet, Sir Lawrence Vaughan
Palk, is his grandson, being son of the late Sir Lawrence, by Lady Elizabeth Vaughan, daughter of Wilmot, Earl of Lisburne.
Arms: — S. an eagle displayed, Arg, beaked and legged, Or, a border
engrailed of the second.
Crest: — On a semiterrestrial globe of the northern hemisphere, Proper,
an eagle rising, as in the arms.
Buller, of Lupton, 1789. — The late eminent lawyer, Francis Buller,
Esq., a younger son of James Buller, Esq., of Shillingford in Cornwall,
and of Downe, in Devonshire, and one of the justices of the court of
King's Bench, married the heiress of Yarde of Lupton, in the parish of
Brixham. He was created a baronet November 28, 1789. His son,
Sir Francis, the present baronet, who took the name of Yarde, has not
resided in Devonshire since he inherited the title; but the estates and
Lupton are still in the family.
Arms: — Quarterly of nine, S. and A., in the second, fourth, sixth, and
eighth quarter, an eagle displayed of the first.
Crest: — A Saracen's head, couped, Proper.
Kennaway, of Escot, 1791.—John Kennaway, Esq., son of a merchant
of Exeter of Scottish origin, distinguished himself in the wars in India
against Hyder Ali and Tippoo Sultan, and in negotiating the alliance
between the East India Company and the Nizam, in 1790, and the treaty
of peace between the allied powers and Tippoo, in 1792. He was created
a baronet for the former services in 1791. Escot House having been burnt
down and not rebuilt, Sir John Kennaway resides in a house not far
Arms: — Arg. a fesse, Az., between two eagles displayed in chief, and
in base an annulet, G., through which a slip of olive and another of palm
Crest: — An eagle rising, Proper, from the beak an escocheon pendant,
Azure, charged with the sun in splendour, Proper.
Hamlyn Williams, of Clovelly Court, 1795. — Richard Hammett, Esq.,
father of Sir James Hamlyn, married the heiress of Risdon of Woolfardisworthy: his son James, who took the name of Hamlyn in 1760, pursuant
to the will of his great uncle Zachary Hamlyn, Esq., of Clovelly Court, was
created a baronet in 1795, and died in 1811: he married the heiress of
Williams of Carmarthenshire. His son, Sir James Hamlyn Williams, the
present baronet, took the name of Williams, in addition to Hamlyn, in
Arms of Hamlyn: — Or, a falcon regardant, the wings elevated, S.,
belled, G., between three roses.
Arms of Williams: — G. a lion rampant, per fesse wavy, A., and Erm.
ducally crowned, Or.
Crest: — A swan with wings endorsed, Arg., collared, G., winged,
beaked, and legged, Or, holding in the beak a bolt, Sable.
Crest of Williams: — A demi-swan, A., the wings elevated, S., each
charged with a rose of the first, on the breast a birdbolt erect of the
second, the head downwards.
Milman, of Levaton in Woodland, Nov. 4. 1800. — The late Sir
Francis Milman, physician to His Majesty, who was created a baronet in
1800, was son of the Rev. Francis Milman, and grandson of another
Francis Milman, both beneficed in Devonshire, and descended from the
ancient family of Milman of Yorkshire, and of Chelsea near London.
The late Sir Francis married the heiress of Hart of Stapledon, in Gloucestershire: his elder son, Sir Francis, is the present baronet. The grandfather married a co-heiress of Dyer, of Levaton.
Arms: — Azure, a serpent nowed, Proper, between three sinister gauntlets, Arg.
Crest: — A stag lodged, per pale, Erm. and Erminois, attired, Or, the
body charged with two hurts.
Elford, of Bickham, Nov. 26. 1800. — This ancient family is said to
have been of Cornish extraction. Robert de Elford was sheriff of Devonshire in 1302. Before the year 1400, they settled at Longstone, in the
parish of Shipstor, where the elder branch remained till 1748, when it
became extinct in the male line. John Elford, of Longstone, in 1517,
married the heiress of Scudamore. John, the fourth in descent from the
last-mentioned John, married a co-heiress of Copleston, by whom he had
four daughters; two of these married into the Fortescue family; and a
third married Woollcombe. The Rev. Lancelot Elford, who, on the extinction of the Longstone branch, had become the male representative of
the family, was father of Sir William Elford, created a baronet in 1800.
A co-heiress of Hals married into this family. Sir William resides at
Bickham, which has for a considerable time been the seat of his branch of
the family. (fn. 22)
Arms: — Quarterly, 1 and 4., per pale, wavy, A. and S., a lion rampant, G., 2 and 3. Arg., three stirrups and leathers, Sab., for Scudamore.
Crest: — A demilion rampant, per pale, wavy, A. and S., ducally
Lethbridge, of Sandhill Park, 1804. — John Lethbridge, Esq. of West
away House, in Devonshire, great grandson of John Lethbridge, who
married a co-heiress of Bourchier of Westaway, was created a baronet in
1804, and was father of Sir Thomas Buckler Lethbridge, Bart., who resides at Sandhill Park, in Somersetshire, but possesses Court in Winkleigh,
and other lands in this county.
Arms: — Argent, over water, Proper, a bridge embattled of five arches;
on the centre arch a turret, G., in chief an eagle displayed, S., charged on
the breast with a bezant.
Crest: — From a bridge embattled of one arch a demi-eagle issuant,
S., wings elevated Erminois; on the breast a leopard's face, Or.
Lopes, of Maristow, 1805. — Manasseh Masseh Lopes, Esq., of Maristow House, son of Abraham Lopes, Esq., of the island of Jamaica, was
created a baronet in 1805, with remainder to his nephew, Ralph Franco.
Arms: — Az. a chevron, Or, charged with five barrulets, G., between
three eagles rising of the second; on a chief of the same, five lozenges of
Crest: — A lion seiant Erminois, gorged with a collar gemelle, G., the
dexter fore-paw resting on a lozenge, Azure.
Louis, of Cadwell, 1806. — The late Admiral Sir Thomas Louis, of
French extraction, was, for his gallant services in the West Indies, created
a baronet in 1806, and was succeeded in the title by his son now Sir John
Louis, who is a captain in the navy.
Arms: — Az. a lion rampant, Arg. charged on the shoulder, with an
eagle displayed, S.; on a chief wavy Erm., an anchor erect of the third;
the shank surrounded with a naval coronet; the rim Az., the stern and
Crest: — A griffin's head erased, between two wings elevated, Or, in the
beak a fleur-de-lis, on the breast a trident erect, Or.
Supporters: — On the dexter side a British sailor, habited, Proper, his
exterior hand supporting a staff, thereon hoisted a flag, Arg., charged with
a cross, G. surmounted by a pair of wings, Or, and inscribed with the words
St. Domingo, in base, Sable.
On the sinister an allegorical figure, representing the Nile, the head and
the upper part of the face concealed by a veil, Arg., the mantle Vert., inscribed with hieroglyphicks; wreathed about the waste with bulrushes,
Proper, and in the exterior hand an ancient rudder, Or.
Perring, of Membland, or Memland, in the parish of Holbeton, 1808. —
John Perring, Esq., alderman of London, and of Memland, in Devonshire,
(which estate was purchased by his uncle, Peter Perring, Esq.,) was
created a baronet in 1808.
Arms: — Argent, on a chevron, Sable, between three leopards' faces of
the fields, as many fir-cones, Proper.
Crest: — A fir-cone, Proper.
Duckworth, of Weare, September, 1813. — Sir John Thomas Duckworth, K. B., then Admiral of the Blue, who had been distinguished by a
series of brilliant services, was created a baronet in 1813: he died in
1817, and was succeeded by his son, John Thomas, a minor.
Arms: — Arg., on a chevron, Az., between two ducks in chief, Proper,
and a naval crown in base of the second, a bomb fired between two etoiles,
Or, on a chief of the second, the words St. Domingo encircled by two
branches of laurel, Or.
Crest: — A castle fired, Proper, supported on the sinister side by a
Supporters, granted in 1814: — On the dexter side, a human figure,
holding in the exterior hand a sword erect, Proper, pannel and hilt, Or;
around the head a halo, composed of seventeen etoiles of the last; across the
dexter shoulder a belt, Az. fimbriated, and charged with three etoiles, Or,
the waist encircled by a vest, Arg.; pendant from the sinister side a scabbard of the second, and under the feet the hide of an ox, Proper; the
same being emblematical of the constellation Orion, the name of his
Majesty's ship commanded by Sir J. T. Duckworth, on the 1st of June,
On the sinister side, a British sailor habited, Proper, the exterior hand
supporting a flag-staff; thereon hoisted the flag of a Rear Admiral of the
White Squadron, Proper, with the word Minorca inscribed on the cross
in letters of gold; to commemorate his services at Minorca.
Palmer Acland, of Newhouse, Devon, and of Fairfield, Somersetshire,
1818. — John Palmer Acland, Esq., who was created a baronet in October,
1818, is the grandson of Sir Hugh Acland, Bart., being the eldest surviving son of Arthur Acland, Esq., by the heiress of Oxenham, who married
the heiress of Long of Newhouse. Sir John Acland took the name of
Palmer, of Fairfield, in Somersetshire, in addition to that of Acland, in
1818. Sir John Palmer Acland bears the arms of Acland and Palmer,
quarterly, and the crests of both families.
Arms of Palmer: — Or, two bars, G., each charged with three cinquefoils; in chief a greyhound current, Sable.
Crest: — A demi-panther, A., semée of hurts, bezants, torteauxes, and
pommes; in the paws a branch of palm-tree fructed, Proper.
Drake, of Nutwell, 1821. — Francis Drake, who was created a baronet
in 1622, was nephew of the great Sir Francis Drake, and son of John Drake,
some time vicar of Upnor, in Dorsetshire; but it does not appear that he
was of the same family as the Drakes of the eastern part of Devonshire.
The title became extinct, in 1794, by the death of Sir Francis Henry
Drake, Bart., who bequeathed Buckland, and other family estates in
Devonshire, to the late Lord Heathfield, son of his sister and heir (fn. 23) , who
had married the gallant defender of Gibraltar. The late Lord Heathfield
dying without issue, his estates devolved on Thomas Trayton Fuller, Esq.,
second surviving son of John Trayton Fuller, Esq., of Brightling, in
Sussex, who had married his sister and heir. Mr. T. T. Fuller, in 1813,
took the additional names of Elliot and Drake, and in July, 1821, was
created a baronet.
Francis Samuel, a younger son of Sir Francis Henry, the fourth baronet,
(who died in 1740,) was an admiral in the navy, and was, in 1782, created
a baronet, for his share in Sir George Rodney's glorious action. The title
became extinct at his death, in 1789.
Arms: — Sable, a fesse wavy, between two pole stars, Arg.; borne
quarterly (fn. 24) with Elliot and Fuller. (fn. 25)
Crest: —On a helmet, a ship under ruff, drawn round the globe with a
cable rope, by a hand out of the clouds. Over it this motto: Auxilio divino, and underneath it, Sic parvis magna.
These arms, with the crest, were granted to Sir Francis Drake, the
Sir Walter Roberts, who resides at Courtland, near Exmouth, is son of
Sir Thomas Roberts, of Glassenbury, in Kent, and of Brightfield town, in
the county of Cork. Sir Thomas was created a baronet in 1809.
Arms: — Az. on a chevron, Arg., double cottised, Or, three mullets
Crest: — On a mount vert an eagle displayed, Erm., wings, Arg., gorged
with a wreath of shamrocks.
It would be improper, whilst treating of the Devonshire baronets, to omit
the name of Bastard, of Kitley, although the gentleman on whom the title
was so handsomely conferred declined the honour. The patent had
passed the privy seal, and was gazetted before it was notified to the party
thus deservedly honoured. It is in the recollection of many yet living,
that William Bastard, Esq., of Kitley, made a most prompt tender of his
services upon the appearance of the combined fleet off Plymouth, in 1779;
on the 16th of August, he offered the governor to raise 500 men, as a
corps of fencibles; setting the first example of raising men for the public
service at that important juncture. On the 18th, he had to select from
1500 young men, contending who should have the honour of serving under
him in defence of their country. On the 19th, his regiment being complete, and officered by the principal gentlemen of the neighbourhood, he
was appointed to the service of guarding the French prisoners on their
march to Exeter. On the 23d, they set out from the prison at Plymouth,
and on the 25th he delivered them, being about 1300 in number, to the
commanding officer at that city. With a due sense of the merit of these
prompt services, the late king signed the warrant for a baronetcy, which
was gazetted on the 1st of September, and notified to Mr. Bastard, in a
letter from Earl Paulett, on the 4th. The title thus handsomely conferred
was modestly declined, with a due sense of the intended honour.
The ancient family of Bastard derives its origin from Robert Bastard,
who held several manors in this county, in the reign of William the Conqueror. An an early period, Efford, in the parish of Egg Buckland, was
for several generations the seat of this family. Sir William Pole reckons
Bastard among the old families whose estates had been sold, but whose
descendants remained in the county; and he mentions William Bastard,
Esq., "learned in the laws," as living, in his time, at Wolston, in West
Allington. Garston, or Gerson, in that parish, was the chief residence of
the immediate ancestors of the late William Bastard, Esq., already mentioned. Kitley was acquired in marriage with the heiress of Pollexfen,
about the beginning of the last century. The heiresses of Atley and
Killiowe, had previously married into this family. The present representative of the family is Edmund Pollexfen Bastard, Esq., one of the members
of the county, grandson of William Bastard, Esq., created a baronet as
above mentioned, and nephew of the late John Pollexfen Bastard, Esq.,
who was one of the representatives of the county in several parliaments.
His younger brother, John Bastard, Esq. M. P. for Dartmouth, resides at
Sharpham, which was the inheritance of his mother, the heiress of Pownall.
Arms of Bastard: —Or, a chevron, Azure.
Crest: — Out of a wreath, a dexter arm embowed in plate armour,
Proper; garnished, Or, the elbow towards the sinister; the hand in a gauntlet
grasping a sword, also Proper, pomel and hilt, Or, in bend sinister, the