Extinct Baronets, and such as are no longer connected with the County.
Ridgway, of Torwood, 1612. — See p. cvii.
Chudleigh, of Ashton, 1622. — This ancient family was originally of
Chudleigh. They acquired Broad Clist by purchase, and settled there in
the reign of Edward III. Some time afterwards they removed to Ashton,
which came into the family with the heiress of Prous, in the reign of
Edward II. John Chudleigh, the third in descent in the pedigree, entered
at the Heralds' visitation, in 1620, married the heiress of Martin; his
grandson, a co-heiress of Novant. Christopher, the ninth in descent,
married the heiress of Stretchley, of Stretchley: his son John died in the
Streights of Magellan, being on a voyage of discovery, in the reign of
Queen Elizabeth. George Chudleigh, Esq., his grandson, was created a
baronet in 1622. Sir George Chudleigh, who married one of the coheiresses of Sir William Davie, Bart., of Creedy, died in 1738, leaving
three daughters co-heiresses, married to Oxendon, Chichester, and Prideaux. The title and the male line of this ancient family became extinct
by the death of Sir James Chudleigh, the sixth baronet, who was killed at
the siege of Ostend, in 1745. The celebrated Duchess of Kingston was
daughter and heiress of Colonel Thomas Chudleigh, yonnger brother of
Sir George Chudleigh, above mentioned.
Arms: — Ermine, three lioncels rampant, Gules.
Crest: — On a wreath, a savage, Proper, a garland about his head, a
bugle-horn hanging on a string from his shoulder, on his left side; his left
arm bent, and in his right hand a Hercules club, Proper.
Supporters: — Two savages, or wild men, Proper.
Drake, of Buckland Monachorum, 1622. — See p. cxx.
Hele, of Fleet, 1627. — Sir William Pole describes two ancient families
of this name, one descended from Hele, of Hele, in the parish of Bradninch; the other of Hele, in the parish of Cornwood; but the pedigree, in
the Heralds' Visitation of 1620, makes all the Heles to descend from the
former, the heiress of the elder branch of which married Francis, in the
reign of Richard II. (fn. 1) About this time Roger, a younger brother of the
family, is said to have settled in Cornwood. John, the third in descent, of
that place, married the heiress of Broking, and appears to have died without issue. Hugh, a younger brother, who succeeded to the Cornwood
estate, was ancestor of the Heles of Cornwood and Diptford. Jacob Bickford Hele, Esq., now of Stert in Diptford, is the representative of this
branch, and of the ancient family of Hele.
Nicholas, a younger brother of Hugh, was of South Hele, and had by
two wives several sons. The elder died without issue. John, the second,
was ancestor of the Heles of Gnaton and Holwell (fn. 2) ; Thomas, ancestor of
the Heles of Fleet; Hugh, ancestor of those of Newton Ferrers (fn. 3) ; Walter,
ancestor of the Heles of Brixton (fn. 4) ; and Sir John Hele, Sergeant-at-law,
ancestor of the Heles of Wembury. (fn. 5)
Thomas Hele, Esq., of Fleet, above mentioned, was created a baronet
in 1627: his son Samuel, and the two sons of Samuel, (Samuel and Henry,)
successively enjoyed the title, which became extinct on the death of Sir
Henry Hele, the fourth baronet, in 1677. Under the will of the first Sir
Samuel, the Fleet estate passed to his cousin Richard, on the death of
whose great grandson, James Modyford Hele, in 1716, the Fleet branch
of the Heles became extinct. Mr. Bulteel is the representative of this
Arms: — Gules, a bend lozengy, Ermine.
Crest: — On a chapeau, a falcon, the wings elevated, Arg.
Pollard, of Kings Nympton, 1627. — This ancient family was of Way,
near Torrington, in the reign of Henry III. John Pollard, in the reign of
Edward II., married the heiress of Doddescomb; his son Walter, the heiress
of Cornu of Horwood, which became the chief seat of the family. The
elder branch of the Pollards of Way and Horwood continued in the male
line till the reign of Queen Elizabeth. There was remaining in Sir William
Pole's time (about 1620) an ancient branch of this family, then residing at
Langley, in High Bickington, descended from Roger, second son of the
heiress of Doddescomb, which Roger married a co-heiress of Harford, and
the fourth in descent from him, the heiress of Britton, of Langley. This
branch is extinct.
Sir Lewis Pollard, made one of the Justices of the Court of Common
Pleas in 1515, was son of Robert, second son of John Pollard (which
John was son of the heiress of Cornu). Sir Lewis purchased Kings
Nympton, and built the family seat there. Lewis Pollard, Esq., his immediate descendant, was created a baronet in 1627. Sir Hugh, the second
baronet, was a zealous royalist, and was governor of Dartmouth, at the
time of its capture by Sir Thomas Fairfax, in 1646: he was afterwards
comptroller of the household to King Charles II. At his death, in 1667,
the title became extinct. Robert, fourth son of the Judge, settled at
Knoweston Beaupell, and his posterity remained there in 1630.
Arms: — Arg., a chevron, Sab., between three escallops, G.
Crest: — A stag, trippant, Arg., attired, Or.
Lawday, of Exeter, 1642. — Sir Richard Lawday, who was created a
baronet in 1642, lost his life in the King's service during the civil war.
Mr. William Lawday, some time of the city of Bath, and one of the
sheriff's officers for Somersetshire, claims to be the immediate male representative of Sir Richard. The title, nevertheless, has lain dormant ever
since his death, and Le Neve says that he died without issue.
Arms: — Party per Saltier, G. and Sab., a griffin segreant, Or.
Crest: — A talbot's head issuing out of a mural crown.
Drake, of Ash, 1660. — John Drake, ancestor of this family, settled
at Ash, in the parish of Musbury, in consequence of a marriage with the
heiress of Billett. Gilbert, third son of John Drake, the fourth in descent,
was of Axmouth, and had three sons (fn. 6) ; George Drake, the elder, who
was of Spratshayes, in the parish of Littleham, left an only daughter,
married to Forde.
Sir Bernard Drake, grandson of the last-mentioned John, was an eminent
naval commander in the reign of Queen Elizabeth: he died of the gaolfever (caught at the assizes at Exeter) in 1585. Robert, an uncle of Sir
Bernard, was of Wiscomb, in the parish of South Leigh. (fn. 7) Richard, a
younger brother of Robert, was ancestor of the Drakes of Shardeloes, in
Buckinghamshire. Sir John Drake, Knt., grandson of Sir Bernard,
had a younger brother, William, ancestor of the Drakes of Yardbury. (fn. 8)
Sir John Drake, eldest son of Sir John above mentioned, by a co-heiress of
Lord Boteler of Bramfield, was created a baronet in 1660. The title
became extinct on the death of Sir William Drake, the fifth baronet, in
Arms: — Arg., a wyvern with wings displayed, Gules.
Crest: (fn. 9) — On a wreath a spread eagle, Gules.
Collecton, of Exmouth, or London, 1660.—John Colleton, created a
baronet in 1660, was, or had been, a merchant in Exeter, and was descended
from an ancient family, which took its name from the village of Collaton:
he was one of the lords proprietors of South Carolina. This family had
some time a residence at or near Exmouth. On the death of Sir John
Snell Colleton, in 1801, the title went to his cousin, Sir John Nassau
Colleton, grandson of Sir John Colleton, who died in 1778. The present
and seventh baronet is Lieut.-Colonel Sir James Roupell Colleton.
Arms: — Or, three stags' heads couped, Proper.
Crest: — A stag's head.
Morice, of Werrington, April 20. 1661. — William, elder son of Sir
William Morice, principal Secretary of State to King Charles II., who
was a native of the city of Exeter, and of Welch origin, was created a
baronet in 1661. The title became extinct on the death of Sir William,
the third baronet, in 1749. His sisters and co-heiresses married Sir John
St. Aubyn, Bart., and Sir John Molesworth, Bart.
The Right Honourable Humphrey Morice, M. P. for Launceston, and
some time Lord Warden of the Stannaries, who died in 1785, without
issue, was descended from a younger brother of the first baronet.
Arms: — G., a lion rampant regardant, Or.
Crest: — On a wreath, a falcon standing on a perch, Or.
Fowell, of Fowells Combe, April 30. 1661. — This family is traced for
nine descents in the Heralds' Visitation of 1620. Thomas, the first mentioned in the pedigree, married the heiress of Trevaige of Cornwall; his
son Richard, the heiress of Hayes. Sir Edmund Fowell was created a
baronet in 1661. The title became extinct by the death of his grandson,
Sir John Fowell, the third baronet, in 1692. The co-heiresses married
Parker and Champernowne.
A younger branch of the Fowells was settled at Blackhall in North
Huish, of which the Rev. John Digby Fowell is the representative. The
heiress of Newton of Crabaton, and a co-heiress of Knowling, have
married into this branch.
Arms: — Arg., a chevron, S., on a chief, G., three mullets of the first.
Crest: — An heraldic tiger issuing out of a mural crown.
Yonge, of Colyton, September 26. 1661. — Walter Yonge, a younger
son of the Yonges of Berkshire, whose ancestor had represented Bristol in
parliament in the fourteenth century, settled in Devonshire in the reign
of Henry VII. John Yonge, grandson of Walter, married the heiress
of Colliton. Walter, grandson of John, married a co-heiress of Peryam,
and was father of John Yonge, Esq., created a baronet in 1661. Sir
Walter Yonge, the third baronet, married to his second wife a co-heiress
of Williams; Sir William Yonge, the fourth baronet, a co-heiress of Lord
Howard of Effingham; Sir George Yonge, the last baronet, the heiress
of Cleve. It is remarkable that Sir William and Sir George Yonge, the
two last baronets, were both members of the Privy Council, and Knights
of the Bath, and both held the office of Secretary of War. Sir William
had also been successively one of the lords commissioners of the Treasury
and the Admiralty. Sir George was governor of the Cape of Good Hope:
the title became extinct at his death in 1812.
Arms: — Erm., on a bend between two cottises, S., three griffins' heads
Crest: — On a wreath, A. and S., a boar's head erased, bristled, Or,
mantled, G., doubled, Argent.
Slanning, of Maristow, 1662. — The ancestor of this family having
married the heiress of Nicholas At-Ley, settled at Ley, in the parish of
Shaugh. They were afterwards of Bickleigh and Maristow. Sir Nicholas
Slanning, a distinguished officer in the royal army, who was killed at
the siege of Bristol, left a son of the same name, who was one of the
Knights of the Bath at the coronation of Charles II., and was created a
baronet in 1662. The title became extinct by the death of his son, Sir
Andrew, who was run through the body in a duel at the Golden Key in
Fleet Street, in 1695.
Arms: — Arg., two pales engrailed, G., over all on a bend, Az., three
griffins' heads erased, Or.
Crest: — A demi-lion salient, Az., collared, Or, thereon three torteauxes.
Fortescue, of Fallopit, 1664. — The Fortescues of Fallopit, in East
Allington, were descended from Sir Henry Fortescue (fn. 10) , Chief Justice of
the Common Pleas in Ireland, by his second wife, the heiress of Fallopit.
The heiress of this branch married Lewis Fortescue, a younger son of the
Fortescues of Spridleston, in Brixton, who was one of the Barons of the
Exchequer in the reign of Henry VIII. Sir Edmund, the fifth in
descent from this Lewis, was a zealous royalist during the civil war; he
was knighted by King Charles I., and in 1664 was created a baronet.
The title became extinct on the death of his son, Sir Sandys Fortescue in
1683. Edmund Wells, whose maternal grandfather, Thomas Bury,
married one of the cousins and co-heiresses of Sir Sandys Fortescue, took
the name of Fortescue in 1768, and was father of Edmund Nathaniel
William Fortescue, Esq., the present possessor of Fallopit.
Fortescue of Wood, in Brixton, 1666. — The Fortescues of Wood
were descended from Sir Henry Fortescue, before mentioned, by his first
wife, a daughter of Bosum or Boson, of Boson's Hele, by the heiress of
Wood. The heiress of this branch married Lewis Fortescue of Preston,
representative of another younger branch of Fortescue of Wimpston.
Peter Fortescue, Esq., the immediate descendant of this Lewis, was
created a baronet Jan. 29. 1666-7. The title became extinct at his
death without male issue: one of his daughters married John Fortescue,
Esq., of Filleigh.
Arms of Fortescue of Fallopit, and Fortescue of Wood, the same as
those of Earl Fortescue, with due difference.
Putt, of Combe, 1666. — Nicholas Putt, Esq., purchased Combe and
Gittisham in 1615. Thomas Putt, Esq., his grandson, was created a baronet
in 1666: he married a co-heiress of Cholmondeley of Yorkshire, one of the
maids of honour to Queen Catherine. Sir Thomas Putt, the second
baronet, dying without issue in 1721, the title became extinct. The
sisters of Sir Thomas married Robert Dillon, Earl of Roscommon;
Charles Gorsuch, Esq.; and Sir John Doyley, Bart. The present male
representative of the family, and the possessor of Combe, is the Rev.
Thomas Putt, descended from a younger brother of the first baronet.
Arms: — Arg. in a mascle, S., a lion rampant of the first.
Harris, of Stowford, 1673. — Sir Arthur Harris of Hayne, in the
parish of Stowford, who was created a baronet in 1673, dying without
issue in 1686, the title became extinct. The Hayne branch of the Harris
family was descended from John, a younger brother of the Harris's of
Radford, who married the heiress of Stone; William, son of John,
married the heiress of Hayne, and was father of John Harris, sergeantat-law to King Henry VIII., who rebuilt the house at Hayne. Arthur
Harris, his grandson, married the heiress of Davailes or Davels, of
Totely, near Torrington; his elder son was (by his second wife, a daughter of Lord Mohun,) father of Sir Arthur Harris, Bart. The late Christopher Harris, Esq., of Hayne, descended from a younger son of Arthur
Harris, above mentioned, by the heiress of Davels, died in 1775, without
male issue, leaving two daughters, co-heiresses, one of whom married
Isaac Donnithorne, Esq. Mr. Donnithorne took the name of Harris in
1799, and resides at Hayne.
Arms of Harris of Hayne. — Sable, three crescents and a border, Arg.
Crest: — On a wreath the trunk of a tree fesse-wise, Vert; thereon a
falcon with wings expanded, Erm., beaked, membered, and belled, Or.
Lear, of Lindridge, 1683. — Peter Lear, Esq., a West India merchant,
was created a baronet in 1683, with remainder to the sons of his brothers,
John and William. The title became extint by the death of Sir John
Lear, the third baronet, in 1736. His heiress married Sir Thomas
Tipping, Bart., of Oxfordshire, and after his death Thomas Comyns,
Esq., grandfather of the Rev. John Comyns, now of Wood, in Bishops
Arms: — Arg. a fesse counter-embattled between three unicorns' heads
Crest: — A demi-unicorn supporting a ragged staff, Or.
There has been a family of Lear for four descents in the parish of Halberton, of which William Lear, a minor, is the representative. The
estate was purchased of the Risdons.
Elwill, of Exeter, 1709. — Sir John Elwill, Knt., whose mother was
heiress of Pole of Exeter, was created a baronet in 1709; his son, Sir
John, the second baronet, married the heiress of Style of Langley, in the
parish of Beckenham, Kent, and settled at that place. He died without
issue, and was succeeded by his brother, Sir Edmund. The title became
extinct on the death of Sir John Elwill, the fourth baronet, in 1778. The
sole heiress married Felton Harvey, Esq., and after his death, William
Arms: — Erm. on a chevron engrailed between three eagles displayed,
G., as many annulets, Or.
Crest: — On a wreath an arm erect, habited, V., cuffed, Arg., and
holding a fleece, Or.
Laforey, of Whitley, 1789. — The late Admiral John Laforey, descended from a family of that name in Poictou, was created a baronet
Nov. 3. 1789: his son, Sir Francis Laforey, Vice-Admiral of the Blue,
and Knight Commander of the Bath, is the second and present baronet.
Arms: — Quarterly, 1 and 4, Arg., on a chevron, Az., 3 mullets,
Or, in chief two fleur-de-lis of the second, in base an anchor erect, S.,
2 and 3, Arg., a cross engrailed, S., in each quarter a torteaux.
Crest: — A lion rampant regardant, in his right paw a fire-brand, all
Trowbridge, of Asher, 1799. — The gallant Sir Thomas Trowbridge,
described as of Asher, in Devonshire, then a captain in the royal navy,
afterwards Rear-Admiral of the White, was created a baronet Nov. 23.
1799. He was lost at sea, on his return from the East India station in the
Blenheim, in 1807. His son of the same name is the second and present
The father of the first Sir Thomas Trowbridge resided in London.
When he was created a baronet, although it might be presumed from the
singularity of the name, that he was descended from the ancient family of
Trowbridge of Trowbridge, in Devonshire, the connection could not be
made out, and the following arms, nearly the same as those of the
Devonshire family, were granted by the Heralds' College.
Arms: — Or, on a bridge of three arches in fesse embattled, a tower,
Proper, thereon a broad pendant flying, Azure, charged with a cross
potent of the first, and two keys in saltier, their wards upwards.
Crest: — A dexter arm embowed, habited, Az., the cuff, Arg., holding a flagstaff, thereon a broad pendant as in the arms.
||Sir William Elford.
||Sir J. L. Rogers.
||A hunting box of Sir Arthur Chichester's.
||St. Mary Church
||Sir John Louis.
||Sir Walter Roberts.
||Sir John Davie.
||Sir Henry Carew.
||Sir L. V. Palk.
||Sir T. D. Acland.
||Sir F. Buller Yard (lately fitted up for his son).
||Sir M. M. Lopes.
||Sir John Perring.
||Sir J. W. Prideaux.
||Sir Stafford Northcote.
||Sir C. W. Bampfylde (at present unoccupied).
||Sir W. T. Pole.
||Sir Bourchier Wrey.
||Sir A. O. Molesworth.
||Inhabited by Dowager Lady Carew.
||Inhabited by Lady Duckworth, mother of Sir J. T. Duckworth, Bart.
||Sir Henry Carew (unoccupied).
||Sir Arthur Chichester.
The principal dilapidated mansions of baronets are: Ash, some time a
seat of the Drakes; Bickleigh, of the Carews; Court-house, in North
Molton, of the Bampfyldes; Hayne, of the Northcotes; and Place, in
Ashton, of the Chudleighs. Wisdom, formerly a seat of the Rogers'
family, is a farm-house.