Acland, of Little Bray. — See Acland, baronet.
Adams, of Bowden, in Ashprington. Bowden is now inhabited by the
widow of William Adams, Esq., M. P. for Totnes, by whom it was purchased. Mr. Adams died in 1811. His eldest son, Major-General George
Pownal Adams, resides at Ashprington-house.
Arms: — Or, semeé of cross-crosslets fitcheé, Sable; a lion rampant,
G., a border engrailed of the second.
Crest: — An arm embowed in armour, Proper, garnished, Or, the elbow
charged with a torteaux, the gauntlet also Proper, grasping a cross-crosslet
Barbor, of Fremington. — This family came from Upcot, in Somersetshire. William Barbor, who settled at Barnstaple, as a physician, in the
seventeenth century, married the heiress of Pointz, of Northcote, in
Bittadon; his grandson, of the same name, married a co-heiress of Acland,
of Fremington. The present representative of this family is George
Acland Barbor, Esq.
Arms, as in Fremington church: — Arg., two chevrons between three
Bartlett, of Hole, now of Weston, in Branscombe. — The Bartletts
became possessed of Hole, in this parish, by purchase, in the early part of
the sixteenth century. The present representative is Barnaby John
Stuckey Bartlett, Esq., who took the additional name of Stuckey, with the
arms of that family, pursuant to the will of his relation John Stuckey (fn. 1) ,
Esq., of Weston, who died in 1810.
Arms: —Quarterly 1 and 4., Arg., 2 bars between 3 cinquefoils, S.; for
Bartlett: 2 and 3 per bend dovetail, sinister, Or, and Az., a lion rampant
double queueé, Erm., a canton, gules for Stuckey.
Crest of Stuckey: — A demi-lion rampant issuant, double queueé,
Crest of Bartlett: — A demi-griffin, Sable, collard, gemelle, Arg., holding
a cinquefoil of the second.
Basset, formerly of Heanton Court, and of Umberleigh, now of Watermouth. — Sir Alan Basset, great grandson of Osmund Basset, who was
of Stoke Basset, in Oxfordshire, in the reign of Henry I., settled in Devonshire, in consequence of his marriage with Lucy Peverell, and was ancestor
of the late Francis Basset, Esq., of Heanton, the last heir male of the elder
branch, who died in 1802, and of Sir Francis Basset, Bart., of Tehidy, in
Cornwall, who was created Baron De Dunstanville, in 1796. Heiresses
of Balun, Walleis, Helligan, Beaumont, Acland (fn. 2) , and Hooper, and coheiresses of Plantagenet, Viscount Lisle; Periam, Leigh, and Bluett, married into this family. The sisters and co-heirs of Francis Basset, Esq., of
Heanton, before mentioned, married Cambell and Davie. Joseph Davie,
Esq., son of the latter, took the name of Basset, in addition to his own
family-name, pursuant to his uncle's will, in 1802; and resides at Watermouth, near Ilfracombe. The Davies, of Orleigh, ancestors of Mr. Davie
Basset, are not known to have been of the same family as those of Owlacombe, Upcot, &c., though it is very probable that they were descended
from some of the numerous younger sons of those elder branches of the
family who resided in the neighbourhood of Torrington. They became
possessed of Orleigh about the year 1700, and had before been settled as
merchants at Bideford. Mr. Davie Basset bears the arms of Basset and
Davie quarterly, and the crests of both families.
Arms of Basset: — Barry wavy of six, Or, and G.
Arms of Davie, of Bideford and Orleigh: — Az. a ship with two masts,
Or, the sails trussed up and hoisted to the yards, A., adorned with flags,
charged with the cross of England; on a chief of the second, three
cinquefoils, pierced, Gules.
Crest of Basset: — An unicorn's head, couped, Arg., mane, beard, and
horn, Or, on the neck two bars indented, G.
Crest of Davie: — On a wreath, A. and Az., a mount, Vert; on it a
lamb, passant, A.; in the mouth a sprig of cinquefoil, G., slipped, Vert.
Bellew, of Court, in Stockley English. This family appears to have
come into Devonshire, in consequence of a marriage with one of the coheiresses of Fleming, of Bratton Fleming, in the reign of Edward IV.
The ancestors of John Bellew, Esq., of Stockley English, lately deceased,
have resided at that place about 200 years: his son, William Bellew, a
lieutenant in the navy, is now the representative of the family.
Arms: — Sable, fretty, Or.
Crest: — An arm embowed, habited, V., the hand, Proper, grasping a
bell, Or, round the wrist a ruff, Arg.
Bere, or Beare, of Court, in Morebath, formerly of Huntsham. — This
family was settled at Huntsham as early as the reign of Edward II. The
elder branch became extinct by the death of Thomas Bere, Esq., in 1744.
Richard, a younger son, settled at Court in the latter part of the seventeenth century: his grandson left a son, Davy Bere, Esq., who died unmarried, in 1774; and two daughters, co-heirs, married to Musgrave and
Baker. Montague Bere Baker, Esq., son of the latter, took the name of
Bere in 1776, and was father of Montague Baker Bere, Esq., the present
proprietor of Morebath. The present male representative is John Bere,
Esq., of Milverton, in Somersetshire, grandson of John, next brother of
Davy Bere, Esq., above mentioned. The heiresses of Clavell, Faber,
Ballard, and Chalvedon, and a co-heiress of Sayer, married into this family.
Arms: — Arg., three bears' heads couped, Sable, muzzled, Or.
Crest: — A bear's head muzzled, issuant.
Bluett, of Holcombe Rogus. — John Bluett, descended from the
Bluetts, lords of Ragland, acquired Holcombe Rogus in the fifteenth
century, by marriage with a co-heiress of Chiselden. His ancestors had
married heiresses or co-heiresses of Ragland, Greenham, and Beaupeny.
Richard Bluett, great grandson of John, had two sons, Sir Roger Bluett,
who died in 1566, and Francis, ancestor of the Bluetts of Cornwall. Arthur,
great grandson of Sir Roger, married the heiress of Lancaster. The elder
branch of the direct line became extinct in 1636, by the death of his son,
John Bluett, Esq., whose daughters and co-heirs married Jones, Wallop,
Lenthall, and Basset. John, the son of Francis, (a younger son of Arthur,)
who was killed at the siege of Lyme, in 1644, dying without issue in 1700,
the elder line was supposed to be extinct (fn. 3) , and he bequeathed his estates
to Robert Bluett, Esq., then the representative of the Bluetts of Colan,
in Cornwall, descended from the younger brother of Sir Roger. Buckland
Nutcombe Bluett, Esq., (son of Robert,) who died in 1786, made a long
but fruitless search to ascertain the existence of any male descendants of
his family; on the presumption, however, that he might be descended from
one of the sons of Francis Bluett, half-brother of Colan Bluett, who lived
in the early part of the seventeenth century, he bequeathed his estate to
Peter Bluett, Esq., then of Falmouth, now of Holcombe Court.
Arms of Bluett: — A chevron Vaire between three spread eagles of the
Crest: — A fox seiant, Or, in his paw an acorn, V., fructed, Or.
Bragge, of Sadborough, in Thorncombe. — The ancestors of John
Bragge, Esq., now of Sadborough, have resided at that place ever since the
reign of Queen Elizabeth.
Arms: — Arg., a chevron, V., between three bulls passant, G.
Crest: — A lion's head erased, Arg., collared, Vaire, Or, and Az.
Buck, of Daddon, in Bideford. — An Irish family, settled in Devonshire
towards the latter end of the seventeenth century. The father of Hartwell Buck, who was of Bideford, and died in 1691, married the heiress of
Hartwell of Ireland. George Buck, Esq., who died in 1743, married
the heiress of Stucley of Daddon and Afton Castle. The present representative is Lewis William Buck, Esq.
Arms: — Per fesse embattled, Arg. and Sable.
Buller, of Downes. — The grandfather of James Buller, Esq., some
time M.P. for Exeter, became possessed of Downes, the present seat of the
family, by marrying the heiress of Gould. Mr. Buller is the representative of an ancient family, originally of Somersetshire, who had married
the heiress of Beauchamp of Lillersdon, and the heiress of Chedington. Their immediate ancestors settled in Cornwall, in consequence
of a marriage with a co-heiress of Trethurfe, one of the representatives of
Courtenay, Earl of Devon. The elder line became extinct by the death
of James Buller, Esq., of Shillingham, M.P. for Cornwall, in 1710. John
Buller, Esq., of Morvall, whose ancestor had married the heiress of
Coode, then became the head of the family. It has since spread into
numerous branches, of which Mr. Buller, of Downes, is the head.
Arms: — Sable, on a cross, Arg., pierced of the field, four eagles displayed.
Crest: — A Moor's head full faced, couped, Proper, wreathed about the
temples, Arg. and Az.
Bulteel, of Fleet, in Holbeton. — James Bulteel, Esq., the ancestor
of John Bulteel, Esq., now of Fleet, became possessed of that place in
1716, by bequest: he married a co-heiress of Crocker of Lyneham.
Arms: — Arg. a bend between 14 billets, Gules.
Crest: — Out of a ducal crown, G., a pair of wings, A., billetty of
Burdon, of Burdon, in Bradford. — John Dennis Burdon, Esq., now of
Burdon, is the representative of this ancient family, which has been
settled at Burdon from nearly the time of the Conquest. The co-heiresses
of a younger branch married Lanyon and Trehawke.
Arms: — Az. three candlesticks, and as many cross-crosslets fitchée, Or.
There was a family of the same name settled at King's Teignton from
the reign of Richard I. to that of Henry IV., when the heiress married
Thorp. This family, a branch probably of the Burdons of Burdon, bore
for their arms, Arg. three pilgrims' staves in pale, G.
Calmady, of Langdon in Wembury. — Richard Calmady, M. P. for
Plympton in 1555, was father probably of Richard (fn. 4) and Vincent Calmady.
The latter, who was of the profession of the law, purchased several
estates in Devonshire in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and settled at
Brixton: his son Josias married the heiress of a younger branch of
Courtenay of Powderham, by whom he was father of Sir Shilston Calmady; their descendants some time afterwards settled at Langdon, now
the property and residence of Mrs. Calmady, daughter of Francis Vincent
Calmady, Esq., and sister and co-heiress of Francis John Calmady, Esq.
Having been first married to her cousin, Warwick Calmady, Esq., who
died without issue, she married to her second husband, Charles Holmes
Everitt, Esq., a captain in the navy (fn. 5) , who, in 1788, took the name and
arms of Calmady, and was father of Charles Biggs Calmady, Esq., now
of Holne Chace.
Arms of Calmady. — Az. a chevron between three pears slipped, Or.
Crest: — A pegasus rising, S., wings elevated, the hoofs, main, and
tail, Arg., gorged with a collar invected, Or.
Bury, of Doniton in Swimbridge. — Bury in Lapford was the original
residence of the ancient family of Bury, the elder branch of which remained there in 1630, but it is probable that they possessed also Coleton
in Chulmleigh, which came by the heiress of Cole in the reign of Richard II.
and is described as their seat in the Heralds' visitation of 1620. Doniton subsequently belonged to them. The heiress of Giffard, of Yeo,
married into this family. Thomas Bury, Esq., the last heir-male, died in
1804; he married a co-heiress of Molineux, but left no issue. His
widow bequeathed the estates of Bury and Coleton to Richard Incledon,
Esq., now Vice-Admiral of the White, who has taken the name of Bury,
and resides at Doniton, but is not the representative of the family.
Arms: — Erm. on a bend, Az., three fleur-de-lis, Or.
Sir Thomas Bury of Exeter is supposed to have been of this family;
his elder son left a daughter, married to Wells, the ancestor of Edmund
Wells Fortescue, Esq. A younger son of Sir Thomas Bury settled in
London and left male issue.
Cary, of Tor Abbey. — The origin of this ancient family seems enveloped in much obscurity: it has been supposed by some, but I think without
any good reason, that they came from Castle Cary in Somersetshire;
others suppose, with more probability, that they derive their name from
Cary (fn. 6) , in the parish of St. Giles in the Heath. It is stated in Collins's
peerage that the widow of William Cary, who died 31 Edw. I., held
Panston and Cary under the honour of Tavistock. It is most probable (fn. 7)
that Cary, which adjoins to Panston, and is still held with it, was the
original place of their residence. In the succeeding century they had
acquired such consequence in the county, that Sir John Cary, and Sir
William, his brother, were elected knights of the shire in 1363, and again
in 1368: Sir William, who married the heiress of Bozom or Boson of
Clovelly (fn. 8) , is said to have died without issue. (fn. 9) Sir John Cary has been
supposed by Collins, Prince, and others, to have been the same person
who was afterwards one of the Barons of the Exchequer; but it appears
evident from records that John Cary, the Chief Baron of the Exchequer,
was not knighted till 1387, and it is most probable that he was son of
Sir John, the knight of the shire. The Chief Baron was implicated with Sir
Robert Tresilian and other of the judges in having given an opinion hostile
to the views of the Duke of Gloucester and his party, and was in consequence,
by the preponderance of their interest in parliament, sentenced to death:
his estates were forfeited, but his sentence was changed to banishment, and
he was sent to Waterford, in Ireland, with an allowance of 20l. per
annum. He died in 1404, and his estates were restored to his son.
The Chief Baron had two sons, by one of the co-heiresses of Sir Guy
de Brien (fn. 10) , Sir Robert, and John Cary, Bishop of Exeter. Philip,
son of Sir Robert, married a co-heiress of Orchard of Somersetshire.
Sir William Cary, of Cockington, (son of Philip) was one of the knights
beheaded by order of King Edward IV. after the battle of Tewksbury.
The immediate representative of Sir William Cary, (descended from the
elder son of his first wife,) was of Launceston, in Cornwall, in 1620.
This branch became extinct after a few descents. Thomas, second son
of the first wife, was father of Sir George Cary, Lord Deputy of Ireland,
who died in 1615, without surviving issue. On his death, Sir Edward
Cary, of Stantor, in the parish of Marldon, became the representative of
the family. Sir George Cary, son of Sir Edward, purchased Tor Abbey,
and was the immediate ancestor of George Cary, Esq., the present proprietor of that place.
The Clovelly branch of the Cary family, which became extinct by the
death of Robert Cary, Esq., in 1724, was descended from Robert (son
of Sir William) Cary, by his third wife, the heiress of Foulkery, or Foukeray, of Dartmouth. Sir William Cary had by his second wife, (Alice
Fulford,) a son, Thomas, who by a co-heiress of Sir Robert Spencer, of
Spencer's Combe in Devon, (who had married a co-heiress of Beaufort,
Duke of Somerset,) had two sons, Sir John and William. Sir John was
ancestor of the Carys, Lords Falkland; William, who married the only
sister of Queen Anne Boleyn, was ancestor of the Barons Hunsdon and
the Earls of Monmouth, of that name; the latter of which titles became
extinct in 1661, and the former in 1765.
Arms: — Argent, on a bend, Sable, three roses of the field.
Crest: — A swan, Argent, wings endorsed.
Champernowne, of Dartington. — The name of this ancient family was
originally De Campo Arnulphi, and it appears from Leland, that in the
reign of Henry VIII., they were called Campernulph. The name in records of the best authority, is sometimes spelt Champernon, and sometimes
Champernowne. We first find them as early as the reign of Henry II., at
Clist St. George, called occasionally in records Clist Champernon. The
heiress of the elder branch, which was of Clist and of Ilfracombe, after
about six descents, married Polglass. Sir Richard, a younger son of Sir
Henry Champernowne, of Clist, married the heiress of Sir Alexander de
Okeston, by his wife Joan, relict of Richard de Valletort; which Joan, is
supposed to have been a concubine of Richard, King of the Romans.
His son Edmund, Earl of Cornwall, calls the daughter of De Okeston, in
a deed, sister. Sir Richard Champernowne, the son, had a grant of Modbury, where he settled: Sir Richard, son of the last mentioned Sir Richard,
married a co-heiress of Valletort, of North Tawton; his son, Sir Thomas,
the heiress of Rohant. Sir Richard, son of Sir Thomas, had by his first
wife, Alexander Champernowne, who married the heiress of Ferrers, and
settled at Beer Ferrers. The heiress of his son, who was then representative of the family, married Lord Willoughby de Broke. By his second
wife, Sir Richard had two sons, Richard Champernowne, of Modbury, and
John Champernowne, ancestor of the Champernownes of Inswerke, in
Cornwall, the co-heiresses of which branch, married Trevelyan, Fortescue
of Wood, and Monk. Hugh Champernowne, of Modbury, son of Richard,
married the heiress of Boys; his son William, the heiress of Chiderlegh.
Sir Philip, grandson of William, had two sons, John, and Sir Arthur, ancestor of the Champernownes of Dartington. Henry, son of John, had two
sons; Sir Richard, who died without issue, and Sir Arthur, who was
knighted by the Earl of Essex in Ireland, in 1599: he married the heiress
of Crukerne; Philip, one of his descendants, married a co-heiress of Hillersdon, of Membland, who died without issue; and afterwards a daughter
of Wise, heiress to her maternal grandfather, (Full). Arthur Champernowne, Esq., the representative of the Modbury branch, and the possessor
of Modbury Castle, died in 1697, or 1698, without issue. (fn. 11) Rawlin Champernowne, Esq., the last heir male of the Dartington, and only remaining
branch of this ancient family, died without issue, in 1774. The heiress of
Arthur Champernowne, Esq., who died in 1766, married a younger son of
Sir John Harrington, Bart., whose only son, Arthur, took the name and arms
of Champernowne, in 1774, and died in 1820: his elder son, Arthur, a
minor, is the present representative of the family.
Arms: — Gules, a saltier Vaire between, 12 billets, Or.
Crest: — A swan sitting, Proper, in the beak, a horse-shoe, Or.
The manors of Umberleigh and North Tawton, came into the possession
of younger sons of the Champernowne family, by the marriage of heiresses,
at an early period. Jordan Champernowne, married the heiress of Soleny,
of Umberleigh, and left a daughter and heiress married to Sir Ralph Willington, of Gloucestershire, in the reign of Edward III. Oliver Champernowne married a co-heiress of Valletort (fn. 12) , of North Tawton, and his
daughter, according to Risdon, or, according to Prince, his grand-daughter,
brought North Tawton, to the Atwoods.
Cholwich, of Farringdon. — This family was originally of Cholwich, in
Holbeton, afterwards of Oldstone, in Blackawton, by marriage with the
heiress of Rich. The co-heiresses of Thomas Cholwich, Esq., of Oldstone,
married Lear, Fowell, and Cholwich, of a younger branch. The father of
John Burridge Cholwich, Esq., of Farringdon House, the present representative of the family, married the heiress of Burridge.
Arms: — Per pale, Or, and A., three chevrons, Sab.; over all, a file of
as many lambeaux, G.
Crest: — A lion's paw supporting a shield, per pale Or, and Arg., mantled G., doubled Arg.
Clark, of Bridwell, in Halberton. — This family appears to have been
settled above two hundred years at Bridwell, late the seat of Richard Hall
Clark, Esq., who died in 1821, leaving a son, John Were Clarke, Esq.,
then of Burrington, near Plymouth. The heiress of Were, or Weare, has
married into this family.
Arms, as on a monument in Halberton Church: — Arg., on a bend G.,
between three pellets, as many swans, Proper.
Coffin, of Portledge. — The Coffins possessed the manor of Alwington,
in which parish Portledge is situated, as early as the reign of William the
Conqueror: different branches of the family were of Combe-Coffin, and
Coffin's Well. The heiress of Hathey, and a co-heiress of Hingeston,
married into this family. A younger branch, which eventually became the
head of the house, was of Goldworthy. Upon the death of Richard
Coffin, Esq., the last heir-male, in 1766, Richard Bennet, Esq., his sister's
son, took the name of Coffin, and died without issue, in 1796. The representation of this ancient family then became vested in the Rev. John
Pine, his great-grandmother having been the elder daughter of Richard
Coffin, Esq., who died in 1699; her younger sister married Yeo. Mr.
Pine, took the name of Coffin, in addition to that of his own family, by
sign-manual, in 1797. He is now resident at Bath: his eldest son, Richard
Pine Coffin, Esq., resides at the old family-seat at Portledge.
Arms: — Az., semée of cross crosslets, Or, and three bezants.
Crest: — A martlet charged with three bezants.
Coham, of Coham and Upcot. — The co-heiresses of Holland of Upcot,
married Coham, of Coham; and Coham of Bovacot, in the reign of
Charles II. The Rev. William Holland Coham, of Coham, the representative of these families, married a co-heiress of Bickford, of Dunsford. Mr.
Coham bears the arms of Holland.
Collins, of Ham, near Plymouth. — George Collins, Esq., the present
owner of this place, is of an ancient Kentish family: he married the heiress
of Trelawney, of Ham.
Arms: — Vert., a griffin segreant, Or.
Crest: — A camel's head.
Comyns, of Wood in Bishop's Teignton. — The grandfather of the Rev.
John Comyns, now of Wood, married the heiress of Sir John Lear, Bart.,
being then the widow of Sir Thomas Tipping, Bart.
Arms: — G., three wheat-sheaves, Proper, eared, Or.
Cutcliffe, of Damage in Ilfracombe, now of Wibbery in Alverdiscott. —
The heiresses of Grenowne (fn. 13) , Chichester (fn. 14) , and Newell, and a co-heiress of
Mervin, have married into this ancient family; of which John Mervin
Cutcliffe, Esq., is the representative.
Arms: —G., 3 pruning-hooks (fn. 15) , Arg.
Deane or Dene, of Newton Petrock, and of Horwood. — The heiresses
of Leigh of Ashwater, and of Futts of Horwood, married into this family, of
which the Rev. John Dene of Horwood, is now the representative. The
Deanes appear to have settled at Newton Petrock, in the sixteenth century.
Arms: — Arg., a lion rampant, Purpure.
Crest: — A lion's head erased, Argent.
Doidge, of Comb, in Milton Abbot, — The ancestors of this family are
said to have been tenants to the Abbot of Tavistock, as early as the thirteenth century. Morris Doidge, Esq., is the present representative.
Arms: — A woman's breast distilling drops of milk.
Drewe, of Grange, in Broad-hembury. — Prince supposes, that the
Drewes, of Grange, were descended from a younger son of a family of that
name, which was of Drewe's Cliff, and of Hayne in the parish of Newton
St. Cyres. The heiresses of Worsford, and of Farr, married into this
family; and its heiress married, first Northcote, and afterwards, Giles of
of Bowden. There was also a family of Drewe, of Modbury. William
Drewe, the immediate ancestor of Edward Drewe, Esq., Serjeant-at-law,
who died in 1622, married an heiress or co-heiress of Prideaux, of Sharpham, and one of his ancestors the heiress of Huckmore. Sergeant Drewe,
settled at Killerton, now the seat of Sir T. D. Acland, Bart., and built the
old house there. His son, Sir Thomas, built the Grange, which has ever
since been the seat of the family. William Drewe, Esq., is the present
representative: his father married the heiress of Rose, of Dorsetshire.
There was a younger branch of the Drewes of Sharpham, settled at Kenne,
one of whom married a co-heiress of Cruwys. This branch is extinct.
Arms: — Ermine, a lion passant, gules.
Crest: — On a mount, Vert, a buck salient, Or.
The Kenne branch bore an antelope's head; in the mouth, a bunch of
wheat-ears. Sergeant Drewe, bore a bull's head, S., armed Or, holding
three barley reeds of the second.
Edgcumbe. — See Earl Mount Edgcumbe.
Fellowes, of Eggesford. — The family of Fellowes purchased this
place in 1718. The Honourable Newton Fellowes, now of Eggesford,
is younger son of the last Earl of Portsmouth, by the heiress of Coulson
Fellowes (fn. 16) , Esq. He took the name and arms of Fellowes in 1794.
Arms of Fellowes: — Az. a fesse indented, Erm., between three lions'
heads erased, Or. murally crowned, Arg.
Crest: — A lion's head erased, Or, crowned as in the arms, and gorged
with a collar indented, Ermine.
Fortescue, of Buckland Filleigh. — William Fortescue, second son of
Martin Fortescue, by the heiress of Denzell, or Densell (fn. 17) , and grandson
of Sir John Fortescue, the Lord Chancellor, married the heiress of Atkins,
of Milton Abbot, and was of Buckland Filleigh, which had been settled
upon him by his mother, as the inheritance of her ancestors, the Filleighs.
William, the eighth in descent of this branch, was Master of the Rolls:
he married one of the co-heiresses of Fortescue of Fallopit, and left an
only daughter, married to John Spooner, Esq., by whom she had no
surviving issue. John Fortescue, a first cousin of the Master of the
Rolls, whose father, George, had married the heiress of Fortescue of
Spridleston, became the representative of this branch, and possessed
Buckland Filleigh: he died without issue. His sister Rebecca married
Caleb Inglett, Esq. (fn. 18) , whose son Richard took the name of Fortescue in
1777, and was father of John Inglett Fortescue, Esq. (fn. 19) , the present representative of this, and of the Spridleston branch.
Sir Faithful Fortescue, elder son of John Fortescue, of Buckland
Filleigh, by his second wife, Susanna Chichester, settled in Ireland in the
reign of James I., and was ancestor of the Earl of Clermont.
Younger branches of the Fortescues of Buckland Filleigh settled at
Shebbear, Hatherleigh, Milton Abbot, Northam, Parkham, and High
Bickington. There are male descendants from some of these branches.
John Fortescue, Esq., is representative of the Shebbear branch.
Arms: — The same as those of Earl Fortescue, with due difference.
The arms of Inglett were, S., a bend, Arg., between 6 escallops, Or.
Fortescue, of Fallopit. — See Fortescue of Fallopit among the extinct
Fowell, of Blackhall. — See Fowell amongst the extinct baronets.
Fownes, of Nethway in Brixham, purchased in 1696. — Henry Fownes,
Esq., in 1750, married the heiress of Luttrell of Dunston. The family,
of which John Fownes Luttrell, Esq., is the representative, still possess
Nethway, but do not at present reside there.
Arms — Az. 2 eagles displayed in chief, and a mullet in base, Arg.
Fulford, of Fulford, in the parish of Dunsford. — This ancient family
is traced with certainty to the reign of Richard I., and it is probable that
they have resided at Fulford, at least from the time of the Conquest. (fn. 20)
It is now the seat of their representative, Baldwin Fulford, Esq. The
heiresses, or co-heiresses, of Fitz Urse, Belston, Moreton, Brien, Bosum,
Bonville, Samways, and Tuckfield, have married into this family.
Arms — Gules, a chevron, Argent.
Crest: — A bear's head erased, Arg., muzzled, Sable.
Fursdon, of Fursdon in Cadbury. — This ancient family, of which
George Sydenham Fursdon, Esq., is now the representative, is traced by
Sir William Pole up to the reign of Henry III. The heiresses of Hayes,
Cullen, and Elsworth; and the co-heiresses of Dunsmore and Cheyney (fn. 21) ,
have married into this family.
Arms: — Arg. a chevron, Az., between three fire-balls, Proper.
Crest: — Five feathers issuing out of a ducal coronet. (fn. 22)
Furse, of Furse, in the parish of Spreyton, afterwards of Halsdon in
Dolton. — The ancestors of this ancient family are known to have been
of Furse in the reign of Richard I.: in consequence of a marriage with
a co-heiress of Bellew, they removed to Halsdon, now the property and
occasional residence of the Rev. Peter Wellington Furse, whose father
married one of the co-heiresses of Wellington, of Way, in the parish of
Arms: — Gules, a chevron embattled, counter-embattled, between six
halberds, in pairs, saltier-wise, Or.
Gilbert, of Greenway and Compton, now of Holwell. — The ancestor
of this ancient family, who was of Greenway in the reign of Edward II.,
had a son who married a co-heiress of Compton: the heiress of Reynward, and co-heiresses of Champernowne, Ager, and Pomeroy, have
married also into this family. The representative of the elder branch is
the Rev. Pomeroy Gilbert, of Bodmin, in Cornwall. Sir Humphrey Gilbert,
the celebrated navigator, was of this family. Younger branches of it
were settled at Holwell in South Milton, and at Comb Royal. A co-heiress of Osborne married into the Holwell branch, of which the Rev.
Henry Abraham Gilbert, now of Holwell, is the representative. The
heiress of Webber married into another branch (now extinct), which
sometimes bore the name of Webber. A branch of this family, which
had settled at East Bourne in Sussex, having married the heiress of Eversfield about the year 1600, is now represented by Davies Gilbert, Esq., (formerly Giddy (fn. 23) ) M. P., V. P. R. S.
Arms: — Erm. on a chevron, S., 3 roses, Argent.
Crest: — A squirrel, Gules.
Gould, of Lew Trenchard. — The elder branch of this family who, as
citizens of Exeter, are traced to the reign of Edward III., was of Combe
in Staverton in the reign of Queen Elizabeth; afterwards of Hayes, near
Exeter, and of Downes. It became extinct by the death of William
Gould, Esq., in 1726; the co-heiresses married Buller and Tuckfield.
Edward Gould, Esq., the last heir male of a younger branch, settled at
Lew Trenchard; died in 1788: his sister and heir married Charles Baring,
Esq., father of William Baring Gould, Esq., now of Lew Trenchard,
who took the name and arms of Gould in 1795. Some descendants of a
younger branch are supposed to be still living at Dorchester.
Arms: — Gyronny of four, Az. and Or, a lion rampant counterchanged.
Crest: — A demi-lion rampant, bezanty.
Gwynn, of Ford Abbey. — Francis Gwynn, Esq., in 1690, married the
heiress of Prideaux of Ford Abbey, who had married a co-heiress of
Franceis of Comb Flory, in Somersetshire, and taken that name. Upon
the death of Francis Gwynn, Esq., son of Francis above mentioned, John
Franceis, of Combe Flory, added the name of Gwynn to that of Franceis
in 1780, and was father of John Franceis Gwynn, Esq., now of Ford
Arms: — Quarterly 1 and 4 per pale, Az. and G., three lions rampant,
Argent, Gwynn; 2, Prideaux; 3, Argent, a chevron between three mullets
pierced, Gules for Franceis of Comb Flory.
Hallet, of Stedcombe in Axmouth. — The family of Hallet, who
came from Barbadoes, have resided at this place about a hundred years.
Richard Hallet, Esq., who purchased Stedcombe in 1691, married the
heiress of Southcote of Dulcis.
Arms: — Or, a chief engrailed, Sable, on a bend engrailed, G., three
Crest: — A demi-lion, holding in its paw a bezant.
Hamlyn, of Paschoe in Colebrook, now of Leawood in Bridestowe. —
The ancestors of this family, who had resided in Exeter as early as the
middle of the fifteenth century, settled at Paschoe in 1611. The heiress of
an elder branch married Harris. The father of Calmady Pollexfen Hamlyn, Esq., now of Leawood, married a co-heiress of Calmady.
Arms: — Sable, two swords in saltier, the points upwards, hilted and
Crest: — A griffin gardant.
Harding, of Upcot in Ashford. — The ancestors of Robert Harding,
Esq., now of Upcot, resided for many generations at Buzzacot, in Combe
Arms, as in Fremington Church: — Or on a bend, Sable, three martlets
of the field.
Harris, of Radford. — This ancient family settled at Radford in Plymstock in the reign of Henry V. The sixth in descent married the
heiress of Esse alias Trecarrell, of Trecarrell in Cornwall: the elder
branch became extinct by the death of Sir Christopher Harris, Knt., in
1624. His sister and heir brought Radford to John Harris, Esq., of
Llanreast in Cornwall, whose mother was heiress of Hart. John Harris,
Esq., now of Radford, is his immediate descendant.
Arms: — Sable, three crescents, Argent.
Harris, of Castle Park, in Lifton. — The grandfather of William
Arundell Harris, Esq., took the name of Harris in 1776. William Arundell, Esq., of Trengwainton, father of the last-mentioned William, married
a daughter of Christopher Harris, Esq., of Hayne, who died in 1726.
Christopher Harris, Esq., of Hayne, the last of the Hayne family, died
in 1775. (fn. 24)
Harward, of Hayne in Plymtree. — This family has been settled at
Hayne more than 300 years: it is probable that they may have been descended from a younger son of the ancient family of Hereward, one of
whom married an heiress of Cornu. The late Charles Harward, Dean of
Chichester, married a co-heiress of Dr. Ball, Dean of Chichester, by a
co-heiress of Mills, who married the sister and heiress of the last of the
Sussex branch of Monk. The Rev. Charles Blake, who married his
daughter and heir, took the name of Harward in 1816.
Arms: — Gules, on a cross crosslet, A., between four guttes d'eau five
Crest: — A leopard statant, Erm., collared, Or, surmounting a cross
crosslet fitcheé, Sab., from the collar a chain, Or, reflexed and attached
to the cross.
Hawkins, now of Norton, in the parish of Churchstow. — Sir John
Hawkins, grandson of William Hawkins, Esq., of Tavistock, and his son,
Sir Richard Hawkins, were both celebrated navigators and naval commanders in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The immediate descendant and
representative of these gallant officers, is John Hawkins, Esq., of Norton.
His brother, Abraham Hawkins, Esq., is of Alston in Marlborough.
Arms, granted in 1565 to Sir John Hawkins: — Sab. on a base wavy,
Arg. and Az., a lion passant, Or, in chief three bezants: on a canton,
Or, an escallop between two palmers' staves of the field.
Crest: — A demi-moor, Proper, bound and captive with annulets on his
arms and ears, Or, mantled, G., doubled, Argent.
Hays, of Dallamore. — Benjamin Hays, Esq., father of Treby Hele
Hays, Esq., now of this place, married one of the co-heiresses of the
Honourable George Treby, who had married a co-heiress of Hele.
Arms borne by Hays: — Gules, a fesse, Or, between three bezants;
quartering Treby, and Hele borne quarterly.
Crest: — A swan's head issuing from a wreath.
Hele. — See Hele, Baronet.
Hoare, of Luscombe in Dawlish. — There was an ancient family of
the name of Hore, in later times occasionally spelt Hoare, settled at
Risford, or Rushford, in the parish of Chagford, in the reign of Richard II.,
having married the heiress of Risford, of that place. This family became
extinct in its principal branch by the death of Charles Hoare, Esq., in
1726. Charles Hoare, Esq., now of Luscombe, (half brother of Sir
Richard Colt Hoare, Bart.,) is supposed to have been descended from one
of this family, who had removed into Buckinghamshire. On this supposition he bears the arms of Hoare of Rushford, with a trifling difference,
as confirmed by the Heralds' College.
Arms: — Sab., an eagle displayed with two heads, Arg., charged on
the breast with an Ermine spot; a border engrailed of the second.
Crest: — An eagle's head erased, Argent, charged with an ermine spot.
Holdsworth, of Widecombe. — This family came from Halifax in
Yorkshire, about the year 1620. The son of the Rev. Mr. Holdsworth,
who was then of Modbury, settled at Dartmouth, and was ancestor of
Arthur Holdsworth, Esq., late M. P. for that town.
Arms: — Arg. a trunk of a tree erased and raguly in bend sinister,
Huyshe, of Sand near Sidmouth. — Rowland Huyshe, Esq., of Doniford
in Somersetshire, (descended probably from a younger branch of the
ancient family of Hiwis, or Huish, of Huish in this county,) purchased
Sand about the year 1560. His immediate descendant, and the present
owner of Sand, (now a farm-house) is the Rev. Francis Huyshe, rector of
Clist Hydon. One of the co-heiresses of Reynell, by an heiress of Peryam,
married into this family.
Arms: — Arg. on a bend, S., three fish (luces) naiant of the first.
Crest: — An elephant's head, issuing, Argent, crowned, Or.
Ilbert, formerly of Rill, in Buckfastleigh, now of Bowringsleigh. —
William Ilbert, Esq., purchased Rill in the reign of William III. The
heiress of Roope married into this family, the representative of which is
the Rev. Roope Ilbert, now of Bowrings Leigh, in South Allington.
Arms: — Or, two chevrons engrailed, Vert., between three roses, G.
Crest: — A cock-pheasant, Arg., combed and wattled, G.
Incledon, now of Yeotown in Goodleigh. — The Incledons were of Incledon in Braunton, where they are traced by records as early as the reign of
Edward III. Family pedigrees carry them up to the reign of King John.
The heiress of the elder branch married the late P. R. Webber, Esq.
The representative of a younger branch, and the heir male of the family,
is Robert Newton Incledon, Esq., now of Yeotown. The heiresses of
Wolf and Newton married into this family.
Arms: — G. three tons, Argent, hooped, Or, flames of fire issuing
from the bung-holes.
Kekewich, of Peamore. — Samuel Kekewich, Esq., who purchased
Peamore about 20 years ago, is of a Lancashire family, settled in Cornwall
about the middle of the sixteenth century, in consequence of a marriage
with the heiress of Talcarne. The heiresses of Bradfield and Essex
married also into this family, and Mr. Kekewich is representative also of
the Trehawkes of Liskeard.
Arms: — Argent, two lions passant in bend, S., between two cottises,
Kelly, of Kelly. — This ancient family, into which one of the coheiresses of Talbot married, has resided at Kelly ever since the reign of
Henry II. Arthur Kelly Esq., is the present representative.
Arms: — Argent, a chevron between three billets, Gules.
Crest: — An ostrich's head, Argent, issuing out of a ducal coronet, G.,
in the mouth a horse-shoe.
Lee, of Ebford, in Woodbury. — Now Thomas Huckell Lee, Esq.
Ebford was in possession of the Lees before 1759.
Arms: — G. two bars, Or, over all a bend engrailed, Vaire; in chief
an eagle displayed of the second.
Crest: — A bear seiant, Proper, muzzled and chained, Or.
Ley, now of Lee House, in Marwood. — The ancestors of George
Ley, Esq., of this place, were of Combe Martin for nearly two centuries.
Lee House was acquired by a marriage with the heiress of Thorne; the
heiress of Downe also married into this family.
Arms: — The same as Ley Earl of Marlborough.
Henry Ley, Esq., of Trehill, is the representative of a family who have
been settled for several descents in the parish of Kenne.
Luscombe, of Luscombe, afterwards of Comb Royal, in West Allington. — The Luscombes were of Luscombe, in the parish of Rattery, in the
reign of Henry IV. The sister and heir of John Luscombe, Esq., who died
in 1776, married Creed, whose heiress married Manning. In 1813 John
Luscombe Manning, the son, took the name of Luscombe. Mr. Luscombe,
who died in 1776, had a cousin of the same name, who was of Woolcombe
in Woodleigh, and had several sons.
There is no record of any arms belonging to this family.
Luxmoore, of South Week, in German's Week. — The representative
of this family, into which a co-heiress of Coryndon had married, is the
Rev. C. T. Coryndon Luxmoore, to whom South Week now belongs.
Arms: — Argent, a chevron between three moorhens.
Malet, of Ash in Iddesleigh. — Sir Baldwin Malet, of Enemer in the
reign of Henry III., married one of the co-heiresses of Deaudon, of
Deaudon, in the parish of Withecombe in the Moor, which estate was
sold by Sir John Malet, K.B. A younger branch of this family was of
Wolley, in the parish of Beaford. The heiress of this branch married
Acland. A younger brother of Malet of Wolley married the heiress of
Vyel of Ash, probably about the year 1500. This branch is represented
by Hugh Malet, Esq., now of Ash. The heiresses of Holcombe and
Veale married also into this family. A younger son of Sir John Malet,
K. B., married the heiress of Monford, and settled in Devon, where his
posterity continued for four descents. The heiress married Fulford.
Arms of Malet: — Azure, three escallops, Or. A hind's head, a tiger's
head, and an antelope's head, have been borne as crests by different
branches of this family.
Mallock, of Cockington. — This place was purchased in 1654 by
Roger Mallock, Esq., ancestor of the Rev. Roger Mallock, now of Cockington. The family had been before settled at Rouse-Downe.
Arms: — Per chevron engrailed, Or, and S., in chief two pellets, each
charged with a fleur-de-lis of the first, in base a bezant, charged with a
fleur-de-lis of the second.
Crest: — A cubit arm erect, vested, Or, thereon two bends wavy, S.,
in the hand, Proper, a mallet of the first.
Northmore, of Cleve, near Exeter. — The ancestors of Thomas
Northmore, Esq., now of Cleve, being of an ancient Somersetshire family,
settled in Devonshire in the early part of the seventeenth century. They
were of South Tawton and of Wonford in Throwley, before the purchase
of Cleve, in the reign of Charles II. The heiresses of Risdon, and
Sydenham, and a co-heiress of Knapman, married into this family.
Arms: — G. a lion rampant, Or.
Crest: — A lion's head erased, charged with a cinquefoil and crowned
with a radiant crown, Argent.
Osmond, of Stagmill in Uplowman, Herne in Halberton, and Pool-Anthony, in Tiverton.— Four descents of this family are described in the
visitation of 1620. The present representative is the Rev. Charles Osmond
Osmond, of Tiverton. Two co-heiresses of an elder son of this family, in
the reign of Queen Elizabeth, married Foxwell.
Arms: — Sable, a fesse dancetteé, Ermine; in chief an eagle displayed,
Pengelly, of Sortridge in Whitchurch. — This family, of which the
Rev. Henry Pengelly is the representative, have been settled here more
than a hundred years.
Arms: — Gules, a lion rampant, within an orle of trefoils, Argent.
Pyne or Pine, of East Downe. — Oliver Pyne, of Ham, in Cornwall,
married the heiress of Downe, of East Downe, in the reign of Edward III.
The representative of this ancient family is the Rev. John Pine Coffin, of
Bath. The Rev. Charles Pine Coffin, one of his younger sons, resides at East
Downe. Besides the heiress of Downe, the heiresses or co-heiresses of
Ilcombe, Salle, Brit, Appleton, and Penfowne, have married into this
Arms: — Gules, a chevron, Ermine, between 3 pine-cones, Or.
Pitman, of Dunchidiock. — This family, of which James Pitman, Esq.,
is the representative, have been settled at Dunchidiock for several generations.
Mr. Pitman bears the following arms: — Quarterly, A. and Or, an eagle
displayed, with two heads, G.
Crest: — A martlet upon a shell.
Pode, of Slade. — John Spurrell Pode, Esq., possessed this place by inheritance from the Spurrells.
Arms of Pode: — Az. on a chevron, Or, between two eagles displayed
in chief, Argent, and a lion's head erased of the second; in base, three
Crest: — From clouds Proper, a demi-eagle issuant, Az., collared, Or,
wings elevated, Argent, on the breast and on each wing an etoile counterchanged.
Quicke, of Newton St. Cyres. — This family, which has been for about
two centuries at Newton St. Cyres, came out of Somersetshire. The
heiresses of Sharland and Nutcombe have married into it. The present
representative is John Quicke, Esq.
Arms: — S., a chevron Vaire, Or, and S., between three griffins' heads,
erased, of the second.
Crest: — A demi-antelope, A., armed, attired, tufted, and maned, G.,
collared, S., lined, Or.
Radcliffe, of Hockworthy, now of Warleigh. — This family, which
came out of Lancashire, was of Kingset in Devon, in 1560, and of Hockworthy, in 1693. Warleigh, the seat of the Rev. Walter Radcliffe, the
present representative, was purchased by Jasper Radcliffe, Esq., who was
sheriff in 1689.
Arms: — Argent, a bend engrailed, S., a canton of the first, charged
with a horse's head couped, of the second.
Crest: — Within a mural crown, Argent, a bull's head, S., armed and
Saltren, of Petticombe. — A younger branch of the Saltrens, of Treludick, in Cornwall, settled at Petticombe before the middle of the seventeenth century. The present representative is Augustus Saltren Willett (fn. 25) ,
Esq.; Petticombe is in the possession of Miss Saltren, the representative
of a younger branch.
Arms: — Az., a lion rampant within an orle of mullets, Argent.
Sampson, of Colyton. — This family, of which Samuel Sampson, Esq.,
now of Colyton, is the representative, have been settled here more than two
centuries. They are supposed to have come from Somersetshire: Mr. Sampson has estates in that county, which have been long in the family. The
grandfather of Mr. Sampson married the heiress of Braddich.
Arms: — Argent, a cross moline, Azure.
Savery, of South Efford, in the parish of Aveton Gifford. — This family
was originally settled at Halberton and Totnes, afterwards, at Shilston in
Modbury, still their property. Co-heiresses of Servington, of Gilbert alias
Webber, and Dyer, have married into this family, of which John Savery,
Esq., of Bristol, is the present representative; but the family estate is now
the property and residence of his younger brother, Christopher Savery, Esq.
Arms: — G., a fesse Vaire, between three unicorns' heads, couped, Or.
Crest: — An eagle's head erased, Argent, between two wings expanded,
Sable, in the beak an olive sprig, Vert.
Seale, of Mount Boon, near Dartmouth.— This family, which came
from Northumberland, have been settled here more than a hundred years.
The present representative is John Seale, Esq.
Arms: — Or, a fesse, Az., between 3 wolves' heads erased, Sable.
Crest: —Out of a ducal coronet, Or, a wolf's head, Argent, embrued at
the nose and mouth.
Short, now of Bickham, in Kenne. — Four descents of this family are
described in the visitation of 1620, as of Newton St. Cyres and of Exeter.
John Short of Newton married the heiress of Shirland. The representative of this family is Francis Baring Short, Esq.
Arms: — G., a griffin segreant, Or, a chief, Ermine.
Sillifant, of Combe, in Colebrooke. — This family, who formerly wrote
their name Sullivan or Syllivan, came from Beare, in Ireland, in 1641.
Combe was acquired by marriage with Snell, in 1677. John Sillifant, Esq.,
now of Combe, married the heiress of Prideaux, of North Tawton.
Arms: — Per pale, S. and A., on a fesse between two boars passant,
the one in chief towards the dexter, the other in base towards the sinister,
2 cross-crosslets, all counterchanged.
Crest: — At the foot of a cross of Calvary, Or, a lizard, Proper.
Southmead, of Wrey, in Chagford. — This family is traced for six descents, in the visitation of 1620. Thomas, the first mentioned in the
pedigree, married the heiress of Corsett, whose ancestor had married the
heiress of Delaford, by the heiress of Wrey. John Rowe Southmead, Esq.,
of Holy Street, in Chagford, is the present representative of this family:
his father married the heiress of Rowe, of Holy Street.
Arms: — Party per fesse, wavy, G., and Ermine; an eagle displayed
in chief, Or.
Spurway, of Spurway and Oakford. — This ancient family, originally
Grede, had assumed the name of Spurway as early as the reign of Henry III.
Co-heiresses of Stringer and Liston, and the heiress of Ley of Dartmouth,
have married into this family; the representative of which is the Rev. John
Spurway, of Pilton, near Barnstaple, who possesses the manor of Spurway.
Arms: — Argent, on the bend Az., a spur-rowel, Or, between two
garbs of the first.
Crest: — A garb, Or.
Stawell, formerly of Merton, by marriage with a co-heiress of Merton,
now of West Anstey. — The descendant of the elder branch of this family,
into which co-heiresses of Farway and St. Maur had also married, was
created Baron Stawell: the male line of this branch became extinct by the
death of Edward Lord Stawell, in 1755: the heiress married Legge, who was
created Lord Stawell. Willoughby Bryant Stawell, Esq., of West Anstey,
in Devonshire, is the representative of a younger branch of this ancient
family: his great-great-grandfather married a co-heiress of Holbrooke.
Arms: — G., a cross lozengy, Argent.
Stevens, of Vielstone, in Buckland Brewer and Cross, in 1672. — Henry
Stevens, Esq., the last heir male of this family, died in 1802. Thomas
More, Esq., his sister's son, took the name and arms of Stevens, in 1817,
and is now of Cross and Winscot.
Arms: — Per chevron, Argent, and G., in chief, 2 falcons rising, Proper, belled, Or.
Crest: — A falcon rising, Or, wings, Az., each charged with an etoile
of the first, gorged with a collar gemelle of the second.
The heiress of a younger branch of this family, which was of Frithelstock and Winscot, married Awse, and afterwards Clevland. By the
bequest of the late John Clevland, Esq., Winscot is now the property of
Thomas Stevens, Esq.
Strode, of Newnham. — This ancient family was originally of Strode,
in the parish of Ermington, where they are traced as early as the reign of
Henry III. John, the seventh in descent, married a co-heiress of Newnham, in the reign of Henry IV. The heiresses of Peniles of Plympton,
and Courtenay of Loughtor (fn. 26) , married into this family, of which George
Strode, Esq., is the present representative.
Arms: — Argent, a chevron between 3 conies, current, Sable.
Crest: — On a mount, a tree Vert, fructed gules.
Swete, formerly of Trayne, in Modbury, now of Oxton. — The last heir
male of this family, which had acquired Trayne by a marriage with the
heiress of Trayne, of that place, in the reign of Edward VI., died in 1755.
The Rev. John Tripe, of Ashburton, whose family had been long settled
at Dawlish, took the name of Swete, by act of parliament, in 1781: he died
in 1821, and was succeeded by his eldest son, John Beaumont Swete, Esq.,
who is representative also of the ancient family of Martyn.
Arms of Swete: — G., two chevrons between two mullets, in chief, and a
rose in base, Argent, the rose seeded, Or.
Crest: — A mullet, Or, pierced, Az., between three gillyflowers, Proper.
Symons, of Chaddlewood. — William Hales Symons, Esq., of this place,
is descended from a younger branch of a Suffolk family of that name,
which settled in Cornwall in the seventeenth century. William Symons,
Esq., the first who settled in Devonshire, married the heiress of the Rev.
Christopher Jelinger, a learned and pious divine, who fled his native place,
Worms, in the palatinate of the Rhine, on account of religious persecution, and was some time vicar of South Brent. Having been dispossessed at the Restoration, he retired to the neighbourhood of Kingsbridge, being possessed of an estate there, now the property of his descendant, the Rev. H. J. Symons, LL.D. Dr. Symons's father, the late
Rev. Jelinger Symons, was rector of Whitburn, in the county of Durham,
to which benefice he was most honourably presented by the bishop of that
diocese, for his useful publications in defence of the church of England.
Arms of Symons: — Per fesse, Sab. and Argent, a pale counterchanged;
3 trefoils, Vert.
Crest: — On a mount, Vert, an Ermine, Proper, in its mouth a trefoil,
as in the arms.
Taylor, of Denbury and West Ogwell. — Joseph Taylor (fn. 27) , Esq., ancestor
of Pierce Joseph Taylor, Esq., now of Ogwell House, married the heiress
of Whitrow, by one of the co-heiresses of Reynell, of West Ogwell, in the
early part of the last century: his father married the heiress of Pierce.
Arms: — Sable, a lion passant, Argent.
Templer, of Stover Lodge, in Teigngrace, purchased by the grandfather
of George Templer, Esq., now of that place.
Arms: — Quarterly, Az. and G., the perspective of an antique temple,
Arg.; on the pinnacle and exterior battlement a cross, Or; in the first quarter,
an eagle displayed; in the second, a stag trippant regardant, of the last.
Crest: — On a wreath, a mount Vert; thereon a holy lamb, Argent, in
the dexter foot a pennon of the second charged with a cross of St. George;
the streamers wavy, Az. and G., the staff, Or, under an oak-tree, Proper,
Treby, of Goodamoor, in Plympton. — Paul Treby Treby, Esq., of this
place, is son of Paul Ourry, Esq., by Charity, sister and heiress of George
Treby, Esq., who was son of the Honourable George Treby, and grandson
of Sir George Treby, one of the Justices of the Common Pleas. Mr.
Treby took that name by sign manual, in 1785. The Honourable George
Treby married a co-heiress of Hele, of Halwell.
Arms: — Sable, a lion rampant, Argent, collared, Vaire, (Az., and Erminois); in chief, three bezants.
Crest: — A demi-lion, rampant, collared as in the arms.
Tremayne, of Sydenham, in Maristow. — The ancient family of Tremayne, originally of Cornwall, settled in Devonshire in consequence of a
marriage with the heiress of Trenchard, of Collacombe. Edmund Tremayne,
the representative of this family in Prince's time, married the heiress of
Wise of Sydenham, since which time Sydenham has been the chief seat of
the Tremaynes. Arthur Tremayne, Esq., who died in 1808, was the last
of the elder branch. On his death, the Rev. Henry Hawkins Tremayne,
of Heligan, in Cornwall, succeeded to the estates, and became the male
representative of this ancient family. Co-heiresses of Clotworthy and
Hearle married into the Heligan branch.
Arms: — G. 3 dexter arms conjoined at the shoulders, and flexed in
triangle, Or, with fists clenched, Argent.
Crest: — Two arms embowed, Vested, Or, holding between their hands
a head Proper, thereon a hat, Sable.
Troyte, of Huntsham. — The ancestor of the Rev. Edward Berkley
Troyte, D. D., now of Huntsham, settled here about the middle of the last
Arms: — Or, an eagle displayed, with two heads, Proper, a border invected, Ermine.
Crest: — An eagle's wing, Sable, charged with five etoiles, Or, and
environed with a snake, Proper.
Tucker, of Coryton. — The ancestors of William Tucker, Esq., now of
Coryton, were settled at Axminster more than 200 years ago, and were
before of Exeter. Coryton was purchased in 1697.
Arms: — Az., on a chevron embattled between 3 sea-horses, Argent; as
many hearts, Gules.
Crest: — A demi sea-horse regardant, Argent, holding between his paws
a heart, G.
Tuckfield, of Fulford Park. — Crediton was the original residence of
this family, who were opulent manufacturers, soon after the first extension
of the clothing trade, in the reign of Henry VIII. Their first country residence was at Great Raddon, in Thorverton. Henry Tuckfield, Esq., the
last heir male, died in 1797. Richard Hippisley, son of the Rev. John
Hippisley, of Stow, in Gloucestershire, took the name and arms of Tuckfield, in 1808, and resides at Fulford Park.
Arms: — Argent, three lozenges in fesse, Sab., for distinction, a canton,
Crest: — An eagle, Proper, beaked and legged, Or, the dexter claw
supporting an arrow erect, G., barbed and flighted, A.; and for distinction,
on the breast of the eagle a rose, Gules.
Walrond, of Bradfield, in Uffculm. — This ancient family, of which
William Henry Walrond, Esq., is the representative, was settled at Bradfield as early as the reign of Henry III. The heiresses of Stowford,
Ufflete, and Whitinge, have married into this family. A younger branch
was settled for several descents at Bovey: the heiress of this branch married
Lord Rolle, and is lately deceased.
Arms: — Or, 3 bulls' heads caboshed, Sable.
Crest: — A tiger seiant, charged with plates.
Webber. — The late Philip Rogers Webber, Esq., of Buckland, in
Braunton, married one of the co-heiresses of the elder branch of the Incledon family. Buckland is now the seat of his son, Henry Webber, Esq., a
General in the East India Company's service.
Arms, as in Braunton Church: — G., on a chevron engrailed, Or, between 3 plates, as many annulets, Azure.
Crest: — A wolf's head.
Willett, of Combe in Abbotsham, Porthill in Northam, and Tapeley in
Westleigh. — John Willett, Esq., who died in 1736, was the last heir male
of this family, who had been settled for a few descents at Combe: he bequeathed his estates to William Saltren, second son of Thomas Saltren, Esq.,
of Stone, in Parkham; his elder son, Augustus, who took the name of
Willett in addition to that of Saltren, was of Porthill in Northam, and died in
1803, leaving a son, Augustus Saltren Willett, Esq., who inherits Tapeley,
in the parish of Westleigh, under the will of the late John Clevland, Esq.
Arms of Willett: — Argent, 3 bars gemelles, S., in chief, three lions
rampant, of the second.
Woollcombe, of Hemerdon and Ashbury. — There can be little doubt
that the Woollcombes are descended from the same common ancestor as
the ancient family of Wollacombe. Two hundred years ago the name
was spelt Wolcomb, and in the visitation of 1620 the arms of Wollacombe
are assigned to this family, with a mullet for difference. The first of the
Woollcombes, or Wolcombes, of whom we find mention, is William Wolcombe, of Holland in Plympton, who married the heiress of Bawden in
the reign of Henry VII.: his two sons married the co-heiresses of Pitts
of Pitton in Yealmton. Thomas Woollcombe, Esq., now of Plymouth,
is the representative, and the seventh in lineal descent from the elder.
His son, George Woollcombe, Esq., possesses and resides at Hemerdon.
The heiresses of Winston, Stokes, and Avent, and a co-heiress of Bedford,
have married into this branch.
The younger branch resided for some generations at Pitton: in consequence of a marriage with the heiress of Walter, they removed to Ashbury.
The heiress of Morth, and a co-heiress of Pascoe, married into this branch,
of which John Morth Woollcombe, Esq., of Ashbury, is the representative.
Arms: — The same as Wollacombe (fn. 28) , with a mullet for difference.
Crest: — A falcon, Proper, with wings expanded and inverted, charged
with three bars, G., beaked, belled, and legged, Or.
Worth, of Worth, in Washfield. — This ancient family, into which the
heiresses of Furlong and Furse have married, was of Worth in the reign of
Henry III. The present representative is John Worth, Esq., now of Worth.
Arms: — Erm. an eagle displayed with two necks, S.
Crest: — An arm erect, vested and gloved, Ermines, holding an eagle's
leg, couped at the thigh, Or.
Yarde, originally of Yarde, in Malborough, now of Trowbridge, which
was acquired by purchase in 1759. — The heiresses of Bussell and Ferrers
married into this family: the elder branch, in consequence of the lastmentioned marriage, settled at Churston Ferrers, and became extinct in 1773,
by the death of John Yarde, Esq. His brother, Francis Yarde, Esq., of Ottery
St. Mary, who had married a co-heiress of Northleigh, left an only daughter,
heiress to the family, who married the late Sir Francis Buller, Bart. Gilbert
Yarde, a younger son of this family, settled at Bradley, and was ancestor of
John Yarde, Esq., now of Trowbridge. There was another branch of Treasurer's Bere, in Clist Honiton, the representative of which took the name
of Sainthill. (fn. 29)
Arms: — G. a chevron between three measuring yards, Or.
After the marriage with Bussell, this family generally bore the arms of
Yonge, of Puslinch. — This family, which came from Sturminster Newton, in Dorsetshire, had resided for several generations at Landsend, in
the parish of Colebrooke: they removed to Puslinch in consequence of a
marriage with a co-heiress of Upton, in the beginning of the last century.
The Rev. John Yonge, of Puslinch, is the present representative. The
late Sir William Young, G. C. B., was of this family: he had a younger
brother, Admiral James Young, now of Barton-end, in Gloucestershire.
The following arms were granted, in 1725, to James and William
Yonge, brothers, of this family. — Or, six ogresses in fesse, between
three lions saliant, Gules.
Crest: — On a wreath, Or, and G., a buck's head couped between two
fern branches, Vert. In this grant of arms the name is spelt both Yonge and
Young. At this time the parties to whom the grant was made had failed in
proving their right to arms; but it appears clearly from documents in the
Heralds' College, that the ancestor of the Yonges, then of Landsend, in
Colebrooke, and of Sturminster Newton, in Dorsetshire, had a grant from the
celebrated Camden, when Clarencieux King of Arms, of the following coat:
Per fesse, S. and Argent, three lions passant gardant counterchanged.
Crest: — A demi-unicorn, Argent, armed, Or.