BRIDESTOWE, in the hundred of Lifton and in the deanery of Tavistock,
lies about six miles from Oakhampton.
There are cattle-fairs at Bridestowe on the second Wednesday in June,
and on the 29th of July, unless it happens on a Saturday or Sunday, in which
cases it is held on the Monday following.
At the time of the Domesday survey the manor of Bridestowe was held
by Ralph de Pomerai under Baldwin the Sheriff. It belonged, in the reign
of Henry III., to the family of Bolhay, from whom it passed by inheritance
to Cobham. The heiress of Cobham married Charlton, and the co-heiresses
of the latter brought it to Hill and Bampfylde. This manor, by the name
of Cobham Wick, has lately been purchased of William Arundel Harris, Esq.
by Albany Saville, Esq. M. P. Leawood, an old mansion, the inheritance of
the Calmady family, is now the property and residence of Calmady Pollexfen
Hamlyn, Esq. Milliton, formerly belonging to the Millitons, is now the
property of John Newton, Esq. The family of Bidlake had an estate here
for many generations, till the death of Miss Phillippa Bidlake in 1792.
In the parish church are monuments of John Wrey, Esq., 1576; and
Lady Honor Calmady, 1663: in the church-yard, that of Lieut.-Col.
Thomas Wollocombe, 1814.
The manor of Bridestowe Sanctuary is annexed to the rectory, the advowson of which belongs to the Rev. Coryndon-Luxmoore, the present
BRIDGERULE, in the hundred of Black Torrington and in the deanery of
Holsworthy, lies five miles and a half from Holsworthy on the borders of
Cornwall, in which county two-thirds of the parish are situated. The
Tamar divides the counties, and has a bridge over it, on the road from
Holsworthy to Stratton. The church and church town, and two small
villages, Tines and Dux, are in Devonshire.
Risdon says that this place was anciently called Bridge-Reginald or
Rennell, from Reginald Adobed, who possessed it in the time of William
the Conqueror. (fn. 1) In the reign of Henry III. it belonged to the family of
Donne, whose co-heiresses, after several descents, brought it to Ledred and
Holcombe. It long continued in moieties: the late Mr. Kingdon, in his
answer to Mr. Chapple's Queries in 1772, speaks of it as having been then
(some time since) in moieties between Sir John Rolle and Sir John Prideaux.
John Arscott, Esq. died seised of a moiety of this manor in 1621. (fn. 2) The
whole is now the property of his descendant Sir Arscott Ourry Molesworth,
The manor of Tatson in this parish and county having been some time in
the family of Pyper, was purchased in 1760 of William Troyte, Esq. by
Roger Kingdon, Esq. It is now the property of the Rev. John Kingdon.
The rectory of Bridgerule is in severalties. The Rev. Thomas Hockin
Kingdon, the present incumbent, is patron of the vicarage.
BRIXHAM, in the hundred of Haytor and in the deanery of Ipplepen, lies
at the southern extremity of Torbay, 25 miles from Exeter, 8 from Totnes,
13 from Newton Abbot, and about 200 from London. A market is held
at this place on Saturday under an Act of Parliament passed in the year
1799; and there is a fair for three days, commencing on Whit Tuesday.
The pier was constructed under the powers of this Act in the years 1803
and 1804. An extensive fishery is carried on at Brixham for turbots, soles,
whiting, mackerel, &c. &c. The Bath and Exeter markets are supplied
from this place, and great quantities sent to London, being conveyed by
water to Portsmouth, and thence forwarded by land-carriage. About 100
trawlers are employed in the Brixham fishery, 60 of which are usually occupied on the southern coast; the others go out into the Bristol and Irish
channels. About 40 smaller boats are employed also in the fishery during
the summer season. There is a considerable coasting trade at Brixham for
coals and culm.
The manor of Brixham belonged at an early period to the Novants, from
whom it passed by conveyance to the Valletorts (fn. 3) ; the co-heiresses of the lastmentioned family brought it to Pomeroy and Corbet. The Bonvilles
afterwards became possessed of it; from them it descended to Grey Duke
of Suffolk, and by his attainder became vested in the crown. It is now
divided into quarters, one of which belongs to the heirs of the late Duke of
Bolton; another to Charles Hayne, Esq. and John Seale, Esq.; a third to
Charles Hayne, Esq. and the family of Gillard; the fourth, which formerly
belonged to Pomeroy Gilbert, Esq., of Sandridge, was purchased by twelve
fishermen of Brixham Quay. Some of these shares have been much subdivided; but all the proprietors, be their shares ever so small, call themselves Quay lords. Nethway or Nithway, in Brixham, belonged to the
Coles, whose heiress brought it to Sir John Hody, chief justice of the King's
Bench: his descendant John Hody, Esq., about the year 1696, sold it to
John Fownes, Esq., ancestor of John Fownes Luttrell, Esq., the present
proprietor. The house is at present uninhabited. Luckton or Lupton
belonged to the ancient family of Peniles; the heiress of Peniles, in the
reign of Henry VI., brought it to Upton, in whose family it continued for
several generations. The house was rebuilt by Charles Hayne, Esq., who
was sheriff in 1772. (fn. 4) About the year 1788 Mr. Hayne sold it to Sir Francis
Buller, late one of the justices of the King's-Bench, who made it his country
seat. It is now the property and residence of his grandson John Buller
Yarde Halliday Buller, Esq.
The manor of Upton, the property and residence of George Cutler, Esq.,
was purchased about 1768 of — Fortye by Montague Booth, Esq., by whom
the house was in great part built. (fn. 5)
In the parish church is a cenotaph for the late Mr. Justice Buller (fn. 6) ; and
monuments of the families of Yarde (fn. 7) , Upton (fn. 8) , and Fownes. (fn. 9)
The King is patron of the vicarage. There were formerly chapels at
Nethway and Upton, of which there are no remains. A chapel of ease at
Brixham (the town being a mile distant from the parish church) was begun
about the year 1815. The subscription for the building was set on foot by
the present vicar, Mr. Holdsworth; and the sum of 1050l. was collected.
Applications are now making to the Commissioners acting under the 58th
of George III. for building additional churches and chapels in populous
parishes, for a grant of money to complete the chapel, and to get it endowed
Richard Kelly, Esq., in 1634, gave a rent-charge of 15l. per annum for a
charity-school at Brixham. John Kelland, Esq., in 1692, further endowed
it with an estate called Combe, in the parish of Ashburton, now let at 40l.
per annum. The master of the school receives also 15l. per annum from
the trustees, being the interest of money arising from the sale of timber cut
down some years ago on the estate. A new school-room has been lately
built by subscription, aided by two grants from the National Society,
capable of containing 400 children, to be educated on Dr. Bell's system.
There is also a good house for the master.
There is a meeting-house of the Particular Baptists at Brixham; and
another of the Wesleyan Methodists.
Brixton, anciently Britricheston
BRIXTON, anciently BRITRICHESTON, in the hundred and deanery of
Plympton, lies about two miles from Plympton, and four from Plymouth.
The manor belonged anciently to a family which took its name from the
place. The husband of the elder co-heiress of William de Britricheston,
who died in the reign of Henry III., took the name of Britricheston; and
his posterity continued to possess this manor for seven generations. Vincent Calmady, Esq., purchased it of the representatives of this family about the
middle of the sixteenth century, and fixed his residence here; his descendant,
Sir Shilston Calmady, was succeeded in the possession of this estate, in the
reign of Charles I., by George Keinsham. It was sold by the latter, in
1652, to Sampson Sandys, of whose descendant it was purchased in 1747 by
Thomas Veale, Esq. of Coffleet in this parish. It is now, together with
Coffleet, the property of the Rev. Richard Lane, whose father was nephew
of Mr. Veale.
Brixton English belonged anciently to the family of English, and afterwards successively to the Blomvilles and Coplestons of Bowdon. It was
purchased, after the decease of Thomas Copleston, Esq., in 1753, by Mr.
Veale, and is now the property of the Rev. Richard Lane.
Brixton Reigny belonged to the family of Reigny, whose co-heiresses
married Crabb, Prous, and Horcy. It was afterwards in the Heles of
Wollaton, and was bequeathed, in 1635, by Elizæus Hele, to charitable
Spridleston belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to William Spriddle,
whose family possessed it for six generations; it was afterwards in the
Fortescues; and became, in the reign of Henry VI., the seat of John, third
son of John Fortescue, Esq., of Wimpston; with the heiress of this branch
it passed to the Fortescues of Buckland Filleigh. The late Richard Inglett,
Esq., (who inherited Spridlestone, and took the name of Fortescue,) sold
this estate, in 1785, to Mr. Lane, of Coffleet, and it is now the property of
his son. The old mansion of the Fortescues is inhabited by a farmer.
Harston, at an early period, was successively in the families of Reynald,
Harston, and Silverlock; afterwards in the Carslakes, whose heiress brought
it to Wood. The Woods resided here for several generations; it is now
the property of their representative, John Wood Winter, Esq., who resides
at Lower Harston; the old mansion of the Woods, built in the reign of
Henry VII., was in part destroyed by an accidental fire, in the beginning
of the last century; the remaining part, including the hall and chapel, is
inhabited by a farmer.
Sherford was the ancient inheritance of the Maynards: it belonged afterwards to the Drakes of Buckland Monachorum, and having passed with
that estate, is now the property of Thomas Trayton Fuller Elliott Drake,
Wollaton was a seat of the Heles, and so continued till the death of
Elizæus Hele in 1635: it passed afterwards to the Pollexfens, and is now the
property of their descendant, Edmund Pollexfen Bastard, Esq. M. P. Mr.
Bastard possesses also the manor of Halwell in this parish, which belonged,
at an early period, for eight generations, to the family of Britt. The heiress
of Britt brought it to the Wises. In 1667 it was sold by Sir Edward Wise
to Sir William Morice; one of the co-heiresses of Sir Nicholas Morice
brought it to Sir John Molesworth, Bart., of whose descendant, Sir William
Molesworth, Bart., it was purchased about 1789 by the late Mr. Bastard.
In the parish church, (which is a daughter-church to Plympton (fn. 10) ,) are
memorials of the families of Wood (fn. 11) and Lane (fn. 12) , and the tomb of Walter
Hele, father of Elizæus Hele, the inscription on which is obliterated:
he died about the year 1613.
The tithes of Brixton were appropriated to the monastery of Plympton,
afterwards to the dean and chapter of Windsor: in 1800 they were sold
under the powers of the land-tax redemption act to Thomas Splatt, Esq., the
present proprietor. The dean and chapter are still patrons of the perpetual
curacy. Elizæus Hele, before mentioned, bequeathed the sum of 415l.
for a preaching minister at Brixton; this sum was laid out in the purchase
of lands in the parish of Modbury, which now produce 33l. 11s. 8d. per
annum. The benefice has been augmented by a parliamentary grant, and
the perpetual curate has 20l. per annum out of the tithes. John Quick, an
eminent non-conformist divine, author of a History of the Reformation in
France, and other works, was ejected from the living of Brixton in 1662.
Near the church-yard is a fine grove of elms planted in the year 1677 by
Mr. Fortescue, of Spridlestone, and other parishioners, for the expressed
purpose of being sold, when at a proper growth, to raise a fund for the
benefit of the poor, as appears by an inscribed stone (fn. 13) : a singular instance
of prudent foresight, and well worthy of imitation, there being many
parishes in which small wastes might most beneficially be thus planted.
Several of these trees have from time to time been blown down by the
wind and sold; sixteen of them were cut down pursuant to the intention
of the benevolent planters during the winter of 1819. They produced the
sum of 92l. 2s., which is funded for the poor, as land cannot legally be purchased: it is intended to supply their places with young trees.
There is no endowed school in this parish, but a Sunday school has lately
been established by subscription.
BROADWOOD KELLY, in the hundred of Black Torrington and in the
deanery of Okehampton, lies about 5½ miles from Hatherleigh. The village of Splats is in this parish.
The manor appears to have been part of the demesne of Joel de Totneis;
when the survey of Domesday was taken, in the reign of King John, it
belonged to the family of Kelly; afterwards successively to the Belstons
and Gilberts. In the reign of Charles I. it was the property of Francis
Weeks: in the early part of the last century it was in the Northmores, and
is now the property of Benjamin Cleave, Esq., by whose father, John
Cleave, Esq., it was purchased about 1785.
The manor of Brixton is the property of Sir John Davie, Bart., in whose
family it has been a considerable time.
The Rev. John Hole is patron and incumbent of the rectory.
In the parish church are monuments of the Webber family, patrons and incumbents of the rectory, (1652–1754.)
BROADWOOD WIGER, in the hundred of Lifton and in the deanery of
Tavistock, lies about 13 miles from Oakhampton, and about 6 from Launceston in Cornwall.
The manor belonged, at an early period, to the ancient family of Wiger,
afterwards to the priory of Frithelstock. It was granted, after the dissolution, to Arthur Plantagenet, a natural son of King Edward IV. The
manor now belongs to William Arundel Harris, Esq., of Castle Park in
Lifton. The principal estate is the property of Charles Luxmoore, Esq.,
who is impropriator of the great tithes under the dean and chapter of
The manor of More Malherbe was given by the Fitz Stephen family to
the hospital of St. John of Jerusalem, and by the prior of that house conveyed to the abbey of Buckland in Somersetshire. After the reformation
it was in the Rolles, from whom it passed, by successive sales, to the families
of Kingdon and Luxmoore: it is now the property of the Rev. Charles
Thomas Coryndon Luxmoore.
The manor of Norden Bason in this parish belongs to the Right Hon.
Lord Clinton; the manor of Deanacary, which belonged to the family of
Morice, has lately been sold to the several tenants.
The barton of Upcott belonged to the late Mrs. Mackenzie as devisee of
Miss Harris of Pickwell, heiress of a branch of the Hayne family; More is
is the property of Sir Arscott Ourry Molesworth, Bart.; and Witherdon of
the Rev. C. T. C. Luxmoore: the latter was purchased in 1689, by Mr.
Luxmoore's ancestor, of Thomas Hiern, Esq.
In the parish church are memorials for John Moore, Gent., 1602; and
John Dynham, Esq., of Wortham, 1624.
The dean and chapter of Bristol are patrons of the vicarage.
BRUSHFORD, in the hundred of North Tawton and in the deanery of
Chulmleigh, lies about five miles from Chulmleigh.
The manor of Abbotsham with the tithes, which had been given to the
abbey of Hartland by Robert D'Espek and Margaret his wife (fn. 14) , belong to
the Rev. John Luxton, in whose family they have been ever since the reign
of Queen Elizabeth. (fn. 15) Mr. Luxton is patron and incumbent of the curacy.
BUCKERELL, in the hundred of Hemiock and deanery of Plymtree, lies
about three miles from Honiton.
The manor belonged, at an early period, to the Pomeroys, afterwards to
the Beauchamps of Rime, whose heiress brought it to Bonville, and the coheiresses of Bonville to Fulford and Gwynn. It was held by these families
in moieties. Fulford's moiety was sold to Richard Cross, Esq.; but both
of them have been long ago divided into parcels.
Warrinston or Werringston was, in the reign of Edward I., the seat of
Sir Robert Toliro. This manor belonged afterwards to the abbey of
Dunkeswell: after the dissolution it was granted, in 1544, to the Drakes;
and was afterwards successively in the families of Raymond, May, and
Henley. Henry Henley, Esq., the descendant of the latter, dismembered the
manor, and conveyed the royalty to Thomas Courtenay, Gent., from whom
it passed to Robert Gidley, Gent., grandfather of Courtenay Gidley, Esq.,
now of Honiton.
Cockenhayes belonged to the Prodhams, from whom it passed, by successive female heirs, to Whiting and Ashford. This estate was purchased
by the late Admiral Graves, who resided at a mansion called, from its
having been built near the site of an ancient fortress, Hembury Fort.
It is now the property of Rear-Admiral Richard Graves: the house is at
present occupied only by a servant.
Deer Park, in this parish, was the seat of a branch of the ancient family
of Fry. After the death of the widow of Henry Fry, Esq. the last heir
male, (which Henry died in 1772,) it was purchased by Mr. Hunt, who
built the present house. It is now the seat of A. L. Shuldham, Esq. who
bought the estate of Mr. Hunt.
In the parish church are the monuments of Samuel Graves, Esq. admiral
of the white, who died in 1787, and that of Elizabeth his wife, daughter of
John Sedgwick, Esq. of Staindrop in the county of Durham, 1767.
The dean and chapter of Exeter have the great tithes of this parish, and
are patrons of the vicarage.
BUCKFASTLEIGH, in the hundred of Stanborough and in the deanery of
Totton, lies about three miles from Ashburton on the road to Plymouth.
A market on Tuesday was granted to the abbot of Buckfastleigh about the
year 1352. (fn. 16) The market, which has been long discontinued, was attempted
to be revived, but without success, in 1801; the market-house, which is
standing, has been converted to other purposes. There are now two fairs
for cattle, &c., held on the third Thursday in June and the second Thursday in September.
The principal villages in this parish, besides Buckfastleigh, are Buckfast,
Scorraton, and the Combe. The number of inhabitants in the parish was
in 1801, 1525; and in 1811, 1836, according to the returns made to Parliament at those periods.
The abbey of Buckfastleigh was founded in 1137, for monks of the Cistercian order, by Ethelwerd, son of William de Pomeroy. The revenues
were estimated, at the time of its dissolution, at 466l. 11s. 2¾d. clear yearly
income. The site was granted to Sir Thomas Dennis. It appears that the
manor of Buckfast belonged to Sir Richard Baker about the year 1629 (fn. 17) ;
it afterwards became the property of the Doyleys, and was sold off in parcels. There is another manor of Buckfast, the property of which has been
some time in litigation. The immediate site of the abbey belongs to
William Searle Bentall, Esq., and others. Most of the ruins were taken
down about the year 1806; one tower is, or was lately, still remaining. A
modern house, in the Gothic style, was built over the vaults of the abbey.
The abbots of Buckfastleigh had formerly the power of inflicting capital
punishment in their manor. (fn. 18)
The manor of Brooke Mainbow, with Buckfastleigh and Button, belongs
to the Earl of Macclesfield. This estate was in the Labells, from whom it
passed by a female heir to Fownes, of Dorsetshire. It was purchased of
the last-mentioned family, in 1758, by Sir Thomas Clarke, Master of the
Rolls, and by him given to the late Earl of Macclesfield. It is now, by
purchase from his brother, who inherited it under his father's will, the property of the present Earl.
The manor of Kilbenland belonged to the late Walter Palk, Esq., and is
now, in right of his wife, (Mr. Palk's sole heiress,) the property of Sir
Henry Carew, Bart. Rill was, for some time, the property and residence of
the Ilbert family; it now belongs to Jeffery Edwards, a minor.
The parish church, which contains no monuments of note, stands detached from the village on a high rock commanding a view of Buckfast
Abbey, woods, &c. At the east end are the ruins of a more ancient building with narrow windows.
The Earl of Macclesfield is impropriator of the great tithes which belonged to Buckfast Abbey. The Rev. Matthew Lowndes is patron and
incumbent of the vicarage.
Buckland In The Moor
BUCKLAND IN THE MOOR, in the hundred of Teignbridge and in the
deanery of Moreton, is a daughter-church to Ashburton, from which town
it is about four miles distant.
The manor belonged anciently to the family of Buckland, afterwards to
that of Archdekne. Of late years it has been in the Bastards. The late
John Pollexfen Bastard, Esq. M. P. had a seat here, situated among the
most beautiful and picturesque scenery in the county. It is now for life
the property of his widow.
BUCKLAND BREWER, in the hundred of Shebbear and in the deanery of
Hartland, lies about five miles from Bideford, and about the same distance
from Torrington. Tithacot or Tithecot, Bilsford, and Galsworthy, are the
principal villages in this parish. A weekly market at Buckland Brewer on
Wednesday, and a fair for three days at the festival of the Assumption
of the Virgin Mary, were granted to the abbot of Dunkeswell in or about
1290. (fn. 19) The market has been long disused; there are now two annual
fairs, Whit Monday and November 2.
The manor belonged to the baronial family of Briwere or Brewer.
William Lord Brewer appears to have given a part of it to Tor Abbey, and
part to the abbey of Dunkeswell, since both those monasteries had manors
in Buckland Brewer. The manor of Buckland Brewer is now the property
of Lord Rolle.
Orleigh was the property and residence of the Dennis family (originally
Dacus) from a very early period, till the extinction of the elder branch
about the year 1700. After this it was, for some descents, in the Davies.
The late Edward Lee, Esq. purchased it of Joseph Davie Basset, Esq., and
has bequeathed it to his nephew John Hanning, a minor.
The manor of Vielston, which belonged to a branch of the Risdons, was
afterwards in the Clevlands, and is now, under the will of John Clevland,
Esq. M. P. who died in 1817, the property of Thomas Stevens, Esq. of
Cross, near Great Torrington.
In the parish church are memorials of the families of Dennis and Davie. (fn. 20)
Mr. Stevens is impropriator of the great tithes, which had been given by
Lord Brewer to Tor Abbey. The vicarage is in the gift of the crown.
It appears by the chantry roll at the Augmentation Office, that there was
a fraternity in this church dedicated to St. Michael, the lands of which were
valued in 1547 at 8l. 7s. 4d. per annum. Buckland Brewer is in that record
called a borough town.
EAST-BUCKLAND, in the hundred and deanery of Shirwell, lies about five
miles from South Molton.
The manor has passed with that of Filleigh to Earl Fortescue, and the
rectory is annexed to that of Filleigh in his lordship's patronage.
EGG-BUCKLAND, in the hundred of Roborough and in the deanery of
Tamerton, lies about three miles from Plymouth.
The villages of Knocker's Knowle, commonly called Nacker's Hole,
Crabtree, and Thornbury, are in this parish. There is a cattle-fair at Egg-Buckland on the second Wednesday in June.
Egg-Buckland was one of the quarters of Prince Maurice's army when he
besieged Plymouth, from the beginning of October till Christmas 1643.
The Prince was at Widey. (fn. 21)
The manor of Egg-Buckland was, at an early period, in the Giffards,
who were succeeded by the Beaudins. The heiress of Beaudin married
Whitlegh, of Efford, in this parish, by which match the estates became
united. Efford had been the original seat of the ancient family of Bastard.
Robert Bastard possessed it in the reign of William the Conqueror.
The family continued here for several generations, certainly as late as the
year 1315. How it passed to the Whitleghs does not appear; but they
were possessed of it in 1346, and continued to possess it for seven generations. The co-heiresses of Richard Whitlegh, the last of the family,
married Grenville and Hals. This estate fell to the share of the latter, and
Efford continued to be the seat of the family of Hals till the reign of
Charles II. One of the co-heiresses of Matthew Hals brought Efford to
Harry Trelawney, great grandfather of the Rev. Sir Harry Trelawney,
Bart., by whom it was sold to the late William Clarke, Esq. of Plymouth.
The manor of Egg-Buckland is now the property of Henry Tolcher, Esq.
of Colwell, in this parish. The manor of Efford is in the possession of
Irwin Clarke, Esq. The manor-house of Great Efford is occupied by a
farmer; an adjoining cottage has occasionally been inhabited by Mr.
Clarke's family. Little Efford is the property of Mrs. Culme, and in the
occupation of Edward Williams, Esq.
The manor, or reputed manor, of Leigham is the property, and the
manor-house the residence of Addis Archer, Esq. It was some years ago the
property and residence of the brave Admiral Macbride, who died in 1800.
Widey, now the property and seat of Henry Anderson Morshead, Esq.,
was the head-quarters of Prince Maurice as before mentioned, and for a
short time of King Charles I. whilst his army lay before Plymouth, from
the 9th to the 14th of September, 1644. (fn. 22)
Derriford was in 1682 the property of Thomas Pyne, of Dunsbeare, M. D.
The heiress of Pyne married John Bidlake Herring, Esq., by whose family
Derriford was sold in 1795 to Philip Langmead, Esq. of Plymouth, together
with the barton of Looseleigh or Buckland-down. Derriford-house, which
has been built within a few years, is now the seat of John C. Langmead, Esq.
In the parish church are the monuments of Edmund Hals (fn. 23) , second son of
Matthew Hals, Esq., of Efford, 1679; and Georgina, wife of Humphrey
Julian, vicar, 1788. In the church-yard are tombs of the Culmes of Little
Efford, (1729—1775;) Richard Collins, Esq., captain, R. N., (son of
Admiral Collins;) Louisa Anne, wife of John Clarke Langmead, Esq.,
1809; and Elizabeth, wife of George Byng, Esq., a captain in the Royal
Navy, and daughter of Philip Langmead, Esq., 1810.
Mrs. Julian, widow of the late vicar, is impropriator of the great tithes,
which belonged to the priory of Plympton. The King is patron of the
Mr. Peter Culme, in 1778, gave 3l. per annum to the charity-school. In
1806, Vincent Warren, minister of Plymstock, father of Georgina Julian,
gave 800l. 3 per cent. Bank Stock, to clothe 5 poor boys and 5 girls;
he directed a sermon to be preached on the anniversary of her death; the
clerk, with the children, to sing the hundreth Psalm, on or near the vault in
which she was interred. The funds of the charity-school being very inadequate for its support, are aided by a voluntary subscription.
BUCKLAND-FILLEIGH, in the hundred of Shebbear and in the deanery of
Torrington, lies about six miles from Hatherleigh.
The manor, having been part of the ancient inheritance of the Filleighs,
was settled, by their representative, the heiress of Denzell, on William
Fortescue, the second son of her first husband. Buckland-Filleigh continued to be the property and residence of this branch of the family till the
death of John Fortescue, Esq., in 1777, when it passed to his sister Rebecca,
the wife of Caleb Inglett, Esq.; her son, Richard Inglett, Esq., took the
name of Fortescue, and was father of John Inglett Fortescue, Esq., of
Buckland-Filleigh, the present proprietor.
The manor and barton of Hartleigh, in this parish, belong to the Right
Hon. Lord Clinton, by inheritance from the Rolles; it includes part of
In the parish church, which stands close to Mr. Fortescue's seat, are
monuments of the Fortescue family (fn. 24) ; and that of Henry Hearn, Esq., of
The Bishop of Exeter is patron of the rectory.
BUCKLAND-MONACHORUM, sometimes called Buckland-Drake, in the
hundred of Roborough and in the deanery of Tamerton, lies about four
miles from Tavistock. A market at this place on Tuesday, and a fair for
three days at the festival of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist, were granted,
in 1317, to Buckland Abbey. (fn. 25) This market has been long discontinued,
but there is now a cattle-market lately established, held at irregular periods.
The ancient fair is still held on Trinity Monday, for cattle, &c. The village of Milton, in this parish, is situated amongst singular and very romantic scenery.
An abbey of the Cistercian order was founded at this place, in 1278, by
Amicia, relict of Baldwin Earl of Devonshire. Its yearly revenues were
estimated, in the reign of Henry VIII., at 241l. 17s. 9½d. The site was
granted to Richard Grenville, who built on it, as Risdon says, a fair new
house, which afterwards became, by purchase, the seat of the celebrated
circumnavigator, Sir Francis Drake. Having no issue, Sir Francis bequeathed it to his nephew of the same name, who was created a baronet in
1622. The late baronet, Sir Francis Henry Drake, left it to his sister's son,
the late Lord Heathfield. Upon his death, in 1813, it passed, pursuant to
an entail, to a younger son of his sister, Mrs. Fuller, of Sussex, Thomas
Trayton Fuller Elliott Drake, Esq., who is the present proprietor. Buckland Abbey was rented, some time since, by Vice-Admiral Stopford; now by
Sir John Gordon Sinclair, Bart., a captain in the Royal Navy. Sir Francis
Drake, then possessor of Buckland, having been engaged on the side of the
Parliament in the civil war, his estates were sequestrated, and Buckland
given to Sir Richard Grenville, who made Buckland his occasional residence during the blockade of Plymouth. (fn. 26) The house, which had been
garrisoned by Sir Richard, was quitted after the capture of Dartmouth. (fn. 27)
The abbey appears to have been a castellated building (fn. 28) ; some remains of
the church have been incorporated into the present mansion. (fn. 29) In the
drawing-room is a fine portrait of Sir Francis Drake, by Cornelius Jansen,
inscribed, ætat. suæ 53, anno 1594.
The manor of Buckland, which had belonged to the abbey, was granted,
after its dissolution, to the family of Crymes (fn. 30) ; a great part of the estate was
sold by this family in 1620; and in 1660 they sold the manor to Slanning.
It has since passed with Maristow to Sir Manasseh Masseh Lopes, Bart.,
who is the present proprietor.
Crapstone, the residence of the Crymes family, was sold by the late Rev.
Amos Crymes to John Elford, Esq., the present proprietor. It is now a
Bickham, in this parish, has been, for several generations, in the Elford
family. It is now the seat of Sir William Elford, who was created a
baronet in 1800.
Pound, in this parish, lately rebuilt, is the property and residence of
Sir Herbert Sawyer, K.C.B. It was some time ago the property of John
Lloyd, Esq., Lady Sawyer's father.
In the parish church is the monument of the gallant Sir Gilbert Elliott,
created Lord Heathfield, in 1787, for his brave defence of the important
garrison of Gibraltar. It is executed, by Bacon, of statuary marble, with
his medallion, and a bas relief, representing the memorable destruction of
the gun-boats. The monument has the following inscription:
"Sacred to the memory of George Augustus Elliott, Baron Heathfield of
Gibraltar, K. B. general of his Majesty's forces, and governor of Gibraltar.
He was the seventh son of Sir Gilbert Elliott, Bart., of Stobbs, in the county
of Roxburgh, in Scotland. The university of Leyden enriched his mind
with science, and formed his taste for literature and the polite arts. The
bias of his genius soon inclined him to the profession of arms, in which he
rose, by regular gradations, to the highest eminence, and at length closed
a brilliant career with immortal glory. Germany beheld him, in the war of
seven years, discharging all the duties of a gallant officer. The British
cavalry owed to him a system of discipline that made them the pride of their
country. The Havannah, the metropolis of the Isle of Cuba, saw him
among the officers who levelled her boasted fortifications, and conquered
by their valour. Gibraltar was reserved to crown him with unfading laurels.
Though closely pressed during a siege that lasted three years without intermission, he remained invincible. The spectacle which he there exhibited to the eye of France and Spain, and to an amphitheatre of princes
who beheld the glorious scene, will be an eternal memorial of British
courage and British humanity. General Elliott derived no hereditary
honours from his ancestors; his titles were earned by services to his country. He married Anne Pollexfen, daughter of Sir Francis Drake, Bart.,
who lies interred near this spot; and by her left a daughter, who was
married to John Trayton Fuller, Esq., and one only son, now Lord Heathfield, who has erected this monument to the virtue which he admired.
History will tell the rest. He died July 6th, 1790, aged 72 years."
There is a monument also for Sir Francis Henry Drake, Bart., clerk
comptroller of the Board of Green Cloth for more than 20 years, and
afterwards master of the Household; ob. 1794. There are some tombs of
the family of Crymes; (Elizæus Crymes, 1584, &c.)
A part of the great tithes, which belonged to Buckland Abbey, remain in
the Crymes family, and are now vested in Amos Crymes, Esq., who is patron
of the vicarage.
Lady Modyford, in 1724, gave 7l. 10s. per annum to a school-master, and
2l. 10s. per annum for clothing four poor scholars. The Elford family have,
at sundry times, given about 170l., now producing 5l. 3s. per annum, for
the same purpose.
BUCKLAND-TOUTSAINTS, in the hundred of Coleridge and in the deanery
of Woodleigh, lies about 2½ miles from Kingsbridge.
The manor belonged as early as the reign of Richard I., to the family of
Toutsaints, who possessed it for six descents. It was afterwards in the
Hills, from whom it passed by successive female heirs to Cole and Southcote. Buckland-Toutsaints, which was for several generations the seat of
a principal and the only surviving branch of this ancient family, was sold by
John Henry Southcote, Esq., in 1793, to the late William Clarke, Esq., of
Plymouth, and is now the property of his grandson, of the same name.
The barton of Bearscombe alias Woodmason, belongs to Edward Torr,
Francis Freke Gunston, Esq. is impropriator of the great tithes which
belong to the college of Slapton in this county, and patron of the benefice
which is annexed to Loddiswell.
The parish church or chapel was rebuilt at the sole expence of Henry
Southcote, Esq., and consecrated by Bishop Ross. (fn. 31)
WEST-BUCKLAND, in the hundred of Braunton and in the deanery of
Shirwell, lies about six miles from South Molton, and about the same
distance from Barnstaple.
Robert de Hokesham conveyed this manor to Sir William Punchardon,
whose heiress brought it to the Raleghs. Some time since this manor
belonged to the family of Butterfield, by descent from Pratt. It is now
the property of George Thorne, Esq., of Clifton, near Bristol.
In the parish church are memorials for William Butterfield, Esq., 1777,
and Jane his wife, daughter of Pratt (1771).
Lord de Dunstanville is patron of the rectory.
EAST-BUDLEIGH, in the hundred of that name and in the deanery of
Aylesbeare, lies about five miles from Sidmouth. Sir William Pole calls
East-Budleigh a small market-town; and says, that the market, which had
been anciently held on Sunday (fn. 32) , was in his time on Monday. There has
been no market in the memory of any person living. There is a holiday
fair on Easter Tuesday, which was formerly held on Good Friday. Leland
says, that a hundred years before his time (in the fifteenth century)
Budleigh haven was "used by ships; but now, (says he,) it is clene barred."
Budleigh-Salterton, in this parish, on the sea-coast, is a bathing-place,
which of late years has greatly increased in buildings, and is now much
frequented in the summer season, having hot and cold baths, and other
conveniences of a modern watering-place.
The manor of Budleigh Sion, which had belonged to the monastery of
St. Michael, in Normandy, was given, upon the suppression of alien priories,
to Sion Abbey. After the reformation it belonged to the Dukes of Otterton.
The priory of Polsloe had a manor in East-Budleigh (now called Budleigh-Polstow) which after the dissolution was granted to St. Clere, and
passed by successive sales to Ford and Popham. Both these manors are
the property of the Right Honourable Lord Rolle.
Sir William Pole speaks of a small manor in this parish, which belonged
to the Courtenays; perhaps this is the manor of Dalditch, now the property of — Hurder, of Newton-Bushell, who inherited from his uncle,
the late Mr. Sleep.
Tidwell, in this parish, sometimes written Todwell and Tudwell, passed
by marriage from Tidwell to St. Clere, and was the seat of that family.
The last male heir of the St. Cleres is said to have pulled down the old
mansion, which was rebuilt by a younger son of the Arscott family, who
married his heiress. In Sir William Pole's time it was the residence of
their son. About the year 1730, the Arscotts sold Tidwell to Mr. Walrond,
a barrister, who built a new house on the estate. Tidwell is now the property of Mrs. Edye, widow of the late John Edye, Esq.
Poer-Hayes, in this parish, since called Duke's-Hayes, was the property
and residence of the ancient family of Poer, whose heiress brought it to
Duke. The old mansion at this place is celebrated as having been the
birth-place of Sir Walter Ralegh, whose father had a long lease of it under
the Dukes: he was born in 1552. Sir Walter Ralegh, in a letter dated
from the court, July 26. 1584, addressed to one of the Duke family, expresses his wish to purchase this place, observing, that for the natural
disposition he had to it, having been born in that house, he would rather
seat himself there than any where else. His offer it appears was refused.
The letter is said to have been preserved in the Duke family, pasted on
board. (fn. 33) Poer-Hayes is now the property of Lord Rolle, having been
purchased with other estates of the Dukes.
The great tithes of East-Budleigh, formerly appropriated to the priory of
Polsloe, are now vested in Mrs. Hobbs and others. Lord Rolle is patron of
The vicar of East-Budleigh has 10l. per annum, payable out of the
estates given by the Drakes to pious and charitable uses. There is a
chapel of ease at Budleigh-Salterton, built by Lord Rolle. There was
formerly a chapel at Poer-Hayes, dedicated to St. James. (fn. 34)
At Budleigh, is a meeting-house of the Independents, built in 1719, and
at Salterton, a meeting-house of the Wesleyan Methodists, built by James
Lackington, the bookseller.
St. Budock or Budeaux
ST. BUDOCK or BUDEAUX, in the hundred of Roborough and in the
deanery of Plympton, lies about four miles from Plymouth, on the banks
of the Tamar. Honieknowle, Kings-Tamerton, West-Whitlegh, and part
of Knackers-Hole, are in this parish.
Sir Richard Grenville, who was at that time blockading the garrison of
Plymouth, was defeated in the month of April 1644, at St. Budeaux, by
Colonel Martin, governor of the garrison, and two companies, who had
been driven into the church, were there taken prisoners. (fn. 35) St. Budeaux
church and church-yard, having been strongly fortified by the royalists
blockading Plymouth, were taken by the garrison of that fort in the month
of January 1646; when Major Stucley, with twenty other officers and
above 100 soldiers, were taken prisoners in the church. (fn. 36)
The manor of Bucheside, afterwards called Budockshed and Budockside,
was held in demesne by Alured Brito at the time of the Domesday survey;
an ancient family called from this the place of their residence, De Budockshed or Budockside, usually written and called Butshed or Budshed, afterwards possessed this manor, and continued here from the reign of King
John, for fourteen generations. A co-heiress of this family brought it to
Gorges, about the middle of the sixteenth century. In the reign of
Charles I., it was sold by Sir Arthur Gorges to the Trevilles. A co-heiress
of Treville married Brigadier General Harry Trelawney, who possessed
and resided at this place; as did his son Sir Harry Trelawney, Bart. aidde-camp to the great Duke of Marlborough. The last-mentioned Sir
Harry, led for many years a retired life at Budshed, where he amused
himself with planting and gardening; having been the first person who
brought ornamental gardening to any perfection in the West of England.
His gardens, which abounded with American and other exotic plants and
shrubs, were much resorted to by the curious. (fn. 37) The sole heiress of Sir
Harry Trelawney, married her first cousin Sir William Trelawney, the excellent and much respected Governor of Jamaica, who died in that island
in 1772. The present Sir Harry Trelawney, Bart., son of Sir William,
sold the manor of Agaton, and part of the barton of Butshed, to Alcock,
by whom this estate was conveyed to the late Lord Graves: it now
belongs to his son the present lord. The remainder of the barton, on
which was the manor-house, was sold to George Leach, Esq., by whom it
was conveyed to Richard Hall Clarke, Esq., of Bridwell, the present proprietor. An ivyed tower is now all that remains of the spacious old
mansion, which was taken down a few years ago.
Whitlegh (fn. 38) , in this parish, which belonged to the Doctons, is now the
property and residence of Edward Henn Gennys, Esq.
Barne was some time the property and residence of the Beeles, the
co-heiresses of which family sold it to their uncle, Edward Trelawney, dean
of Exeter. It is now the property of Charles Trelawney, of Coldrinneck,
Kinterbury, which had for several generations been in the Corham
family, was sold a few years ago by Francis Corham, Esq., to —Andrews,
yeoman. It now belongs to — Elliot.
Mount Tamar, in this parish, was the seat of Sir Thomas Byard, now of
Captain H. F. Senhouse, R. N. Woodland, formerly in the family of
Fownes, and lately the property and residence of the Rev. F. Luce, now
belongs to George Collins, Esq., of Ham.
In the parish church, which in 1563 was removed from the sea-side to
its present site, is a monument of Tristram Gorges, Esq., about the time
of Elizabeth or James I.; the inscription nearly obliterated; some memorials of the Trevilles (fn. 39) , and the monument of Sir Thomas Byard, with
the following inscription: — "To perpetuate the memory of Sir Thomas
Byard, Knight, late of Mount-Tamar, in this parish, who in the service of
his king and country devoted the greatest part of his life, this marble is
erected by the grateful affection of his surviving family. It is not for
them to record those actions which gained their beloved friend so much
honour; they are chronicled in the naval annals of his time (fn. 40) , and engraven
in the hearts of all those who had the good fortune to serve under his
auspicious command. He died at sea, captain of his Majesty's ship
Foudroyant, on the 30th day of October, 1798, aged 55 years; and his
mortal remains lie interred in this church." There is a monument also for
Cordelia, wife of Captain John Chambers, R. N., and daughter of Robert
Fanshaw; ob. 1809.
The church is a chapel or daughter-church to St. Andrew, Plymouth,
but the parishes are separate.
The Rev. Thomas Alcock, more than sixty years the resident minister of
this parish, and said to have been a very eccentric character, published the
life of his brother Dr. Nathan Alcock, an eminent physician, who died at
Runcorn in Cheshire in 1779.
I have not been able to learn the particulars of the foundation of the
charity school at this place, but am informed that it was founded by the
Doctons of Whitlegh. Mrs. Joanna Knighton in 1771 gave lands to this
school: its endowment now consists of lands let at 71l. per annum, and
375l. 3 per cent. consols. Twelve boys and the same number of girls are
clothed and educated by this charity. A Sunday school for about 50 children
has been lately established.
BULKWORTHY, in the hundred of Shebbear and in the deanery of Hertland, lies nearly eight miles from Great Torrington. The village of Heytown is in this parish. The barton of Hankford gave name to an ancient
family, of which was Sir William Hankford, chief justice of the King's
Bench, who died in 1422. This barton is now the property of Thomas
Stevens, Esq., of Cross, by bequest from the late J. Clevland, Esq. Chief
Justice Hankford built the chapel, as appears by an inscription in the
window. Bulkworthy is a chapel or daughter-church to Buckland
Bundleigh or Bundley
BUNDLEIGH or BUNDLEY, in the hundred of North Tawton and in the
deanery of Chulmleigh, lies about seven miles from Chulmleigh. The
manor was given by William the Conqueror to William Poilgi, and was
afterwards in the family of Campbell. It has been more than two centuries
in the Wyndhams, (by inheritance probably from Wadham,) and is now the
property of the Honourable Percy Wyndham, who is patron of the rectory.
Burlescombe or Burliscombe
BURLESCOMBE or BURLISCOMBE, in the hundred of Bampton and in the
deanery of Tiverton, lies on the borders of Somersetshire, five miles from
Wellington. The parish is divided into four tithings; Town tithing,
South-Appledore, Ayshford, and Westleigh. Ayshford and Westleigh are
the principal villages.
The manor belonged to the family of Claville or Clavell, from the Conquest till the extinction of the elder branch about the year 1370; the
inheritance having been for some time litigated, it was in 1398 allotted
to Richard Warre, as one of the heirs of Sir Henry Percehay, baron of the
Exchequer. (fn. 41) About the year 1600 it was sold by Richard Warre, Esq., of
Hestercombe, to Henry Ayshford, Esq., from whom it has descended to
William Ayshford Sandford, Esq., the present proprietor. The lords of this
manor had in ancient times the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. 42)
At Canonleigh in this parish was a monastery founded in the reign
of Henry II., by Walter Claville, for a prior and Austin canons, who were
changed in the reign of Edward I., by Maud de Clare Countess of Gloucester, for an abbess and nuns or canonesses of the same order. Its
revenues were estimated at the time of the dissolution at 197l. 3s. 1d. clear
yearly income. The site was granted in exchange for other lands to Sir
George St. Leger (fn. 43) , whose son sold it to Hugh Columb, Esq. It continued
to be the seat of that family till 1658, since which time the abbey estate
has passed by successive purchasers (fn. 44) to the families of Smith, Breton, and
Browne. The late Mr. Browne much improved the house and grounds.
It is now the property of his son Thomas Browne, Esq. There are some
small remains of the abbey in Mr. Browne's pleasure grounds.
A market at Canonleigh was granted to the abbess and convent in 1286,
to be held on Wednesdays. (fn. 45)
Ashford or Ayshford in this parish is situated in the hundred of Halberton.
The manor was in the family of Esseford or Ashford, of late years written
Ayshford, as early as the reign of Henry II. The heiress of Ayshford
brought it in the seventeenth century to the ancestors of William Ayshford
Sandford, Esq., of Ninehead, in Somersetshire, the present proprietor. The
manor-house, said to have been one of the best in the west of England, is
now inhabited as a farm-house. The manor of Westleigh has passed with
In the parish church of Burlescombe are several ancient monuments of
the Ayshfords. In the chapel at Ayshford, in which divine service is performed only nine times in the year, is that of John Ayshford, Esq., the
last heir male of the family, who died in 1688. William Ayshford Sandford,
Esq., is impropriator of the great tithes which belonged formerly to the
abbey of Canonleigh, and patron of the vicarage.
BURRINGTON in the hundred of North-Tawton, and in the deanery of
Chulmleigh, lies about four miles from Chulmleigh, on the road to Barnstaple.
The manor (fn. 46) belonged to Tavistock Abbey, and was granted, with the
rest of its possessions, to John Lord Russell. It was many years in the
family of Melhuish, and is now, by marriage with one of the co-heiresses,
the property of the Rev. Mr. Thomas of Wellington.
The manor of Halsbury was in the family of Hidon, whose heiress
brought it to Thomas. It is no longer considered to be a manor; the
barton is now the property of Mr. John Blagdon, of Poughill, yeoman.
The Marwoods had a manor in this parish, which passed to the Chichesters, and is now the property of the Hon. Newton Fellowes.
Callard was the ancient property and residence of a family of that
name, which continued to possess it till the time of Queen Elizabeth: it is
now the property of Mr. George Webber of Chulmleigh. Northcote,
which passed by marriage from the Hankfords to Pollard, is now the property of Mr. Richard Babbage.
Mr. Thomas is impropriator of the great tithes which belonged to the
abbey of Tavistock. The Rev. James Buckingham is patron of the
BUTTERLEIGH, in the hundred of Cliston, and in the deanery of Plymptree, lies about three miles from Tiverton.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the family of
Pulleyn, in which it continued for several descents: it was afterwards in
the Courtenay family. Sir William Courtenay, who died in 1535, settled
it upon his third son James, in whose family it continued four descents;
having reverted to the Powderham family, it was sold about the year 1600,
by Sir William Courtenay, to Sir Simon Leach. It seems to have been
since dismembered; I do not find that any manerial rights are now exercised or claimed.
Not long before the sale of the manor, the parish church had been
enlarged by Dr. Peter Muden, a Hollander, who married one of the
Courtenays. She died in 1624, and has a monument in the church. The
rectory is in the gift of the crown.