Farringdon or Faringdon
FARRINGDON or FARINGDON, in the deanery of Aylesbeare and in the
hundred of East Budleigh, lies about six miles from Exeter. Part of
Parkyns's village, and two houses of Bishop's Clist, are in this parish.
The manor, which, at the time of the Domesday survey, was held by
Fulcher Archibalistarius, or the chief bow-bearer, belonged afterwards, for
many descents, to the family of Farringdon, who took their name from this
place: one of the co-heiresses brought it to Cooper. It is now the property, and Farringdon-house the seat, of John Burridge Cholwich, Esq.,
whose grandfather purchased it, in 1677, of the representatives of
The manor of Bishop's Clist, or Clist Sachville, partly in this parish and
partly in Sowton, belonged to the Sachvilles till the reign of Edward I.
Sir William Pole relates, that it was mortgaged to Bishop Bronscombe, by
Sir Ralph Sachville, when he went to France on the king's service. He
adds, that the bishop built a mansion on this manor; and was said to have
laid out so much money upon it, that Sir Ralph could not repay it, and
that the manor became in consequence attached to the see, and the mansion
one of the episcopal palaces. Bishop Stapeldon procured a charter for a
market on Tuesdays at Clist, and a fair for three days at the festival of St.
Michael. (fn. 1) Bishop Brantingham died at Clist in 1394. Bishop Veysey, at
the instance of the crown, alienated this estate to John, the first Earl of
Bedford, to whom it was confirmed by the dean and chapter, and by royal
grant in the reign of Edward VI. Francis, Earl of Bedford, was possessed
of it in Sir William Pole's time: it was afterwards, for some descents, in the
family of Beavis. Clist-house is now the seat of the Right Honourable
Lord Graves: his father, the late Lord Graves, purchased it of the executors of Miss Beavis, who died in 1801.
Bishop's Clist, then called Bedford-house, was made by Sir Thomas
Fairfax, in the month of October, 1645, one of the garrisons for the blockade of Exeter; an engineer was sent by the General to draw a line of
fortifications around it. (fn. 2)
Crowley, or Creely, which belonged to the priory of St. James, is now
held under King's College, Cambridge, by Mrs. Hawtrey, widow of Stephen
Hawtrey, Esq., recorder of Exeter. Benbow, or Penbow, which belonged
formerly to the Martyns, was afterwards in the family of Rous. After the
death of the Rev. Richard Rous, the last heir-male of one branch of that
ancient family, in 1810, this place became the property of his sister, the
wife of the Rev. William Ellicombe, rector of Alphington. Upham, which
was successively in the families of Cary, Duke, Walrond, and Bone, is
now the property of Mr. Cholwich.
In the parish-church are monuments of the family of Cholwich; William
Bone, 1653; and Archdeacon Sleech, who had been rector of the parish
fifty-two years, (no date).
There was a chapel at Bishop's Clist dedicated to St. Gabriel in which
were two chaplains endowed by Bishop Bronscombe. To this chapel
Bishop Stapeldon annexed an hospital for twelve blind, infirm, or superannuated clergymen; and to assist the establishment, the dean and chapter of
Exeter bound themselves, in 1376, to contribute forty-three marks per
annum, out of the appropriated churches of Westleigh and St. Melan. (fn. 3)
In 1508, Bishop Oldham appropriated the chapel of Clist Gabriel to the
priest-vicars, who were to pray for King Henry VII., his mother, Bishop
Fox, &c. The chapel, with its revenues, was seized by King Edward VI.,
but restored by Queen Elizabeth, in 1585. (fn. 4)
The Bishop is patron of the rectory, the advowson of which was purchased
by Bishop Bronscombe of Robert Gifford, canon of Exeter. (fn. 5)
Thomas Weare, in 1691, gave a rent-charge of 3l. per annum, for teaching poor children of this parish. The schoolmaster has a house, purchased
in or about the year 1709, with part of a sum of money left by Walter Wotton, Esq., of Blackauton, for charitable uses, and vested in John Cholwich,
Esq., and other trustees. The schoolmaster has also the interest of 56l.,
which is supposed to have been the residue of the sum above mentioned.
Farway, or Fairway
FARWAY, or FAIRWAY, in the hundred of Colyton and in the deanery of
Honiton, lies about three miles from Honiton. Netherton, Sallicombe, and
Woodbridge, are small villages in this parish.
The manor of Farway, was in ancient times successively in the families of
Fleming, Mohun, Osborne, and Devenish. It afterwards passed by purchase to the Earls of Devonshire, and by the Marquis of Exeter's attainder,
to the crown. In Sir William Pole's time, it belonged to John Willoughby,
Esq., whose grandfather had purchased it of John Frye, Esq. The heiress
of Willoughby brought it to the Trevelyans. Having been purchased of
Sir John Trevelyan, Bart., by the late Thomas Putt, Esq., it is now the
property of his nephew, the Rev. Thomas Putt, of Combe.
The manor of Netherton, in this parish, was given by Walter de Clavill,
to the monastery of Canonlegh. After the dissolution, it was purchased by
Piers. The manor was afterwards in the Drakes, and the demesnes in the
family of Lowman: both were purchased by Sir Edmund Prideaux, an eminent lawyer, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. This gentleman built the
house at Netherton, which has ever since been the seat of his descendants.
In 1622, he was created a baronet; his great-grandson, Sir John Wilmot
Prideaux, is the sixth baronet, and the present owner of Netherton.
Withecomb and Whitlegh belonged successively to the families of Hilion,
Prous, and Percyhay. They were purchased of the latter by Wadham, and
descended to the co-heirs of that family. Whitlegh is now the property
of Richard Hippisley Tuckfield, Esq., of Little Fulford.
Poltimore, in this parish, belonged, for several descents, to a family of
that name; afterwards to that of Jewe, one of whose co-heiresses brought
a moiety to Yeo; from the last-mentioned family it passed to Sir John
Arundell of Trerice; the other moiety was sold to Bodley. One moiety
now belongs to Mr. Tuckfield; the other to the Rev. John Swete, of
Oxton. Knoll and Boycomb belonged to the family of Knoll: in the
reign of Henry VI., they passed by marriage to Nethway: the last-mentioned family possessed these estates for several generations. The heiress
brought them to Hoskins, whose grandson sold them partly to Prideaux
and partly to Willoughby. These estates are united, and, by the name of
Boycombe, now belong to the Rev. Thomas Putt.
In the parish-church are two ancient monuments without inscription;
some of the Prideaux family (fn. 6) ; and that of George Haydon, Esq., 1558.
The north aisle was rebuilt in 1628, by Mr. Humphrey Hutchins, for whom
there is a monument with his bust. Mr. Putt is patron of the rectory. There
is a charity-school in this parish, endowed, in the year 1795, by Miss Hannah
Atkinson, with 7l. 10s. per annum, for the instruction of twelve poor
children, and supplying them with books.
Feniton, or Fenyton
FENITON, or FENYTON, in the hundred of Hayridge and in the deanery of
Plymtree, lies about four miles from Honiton. Corscombe and Colestock
are small villages in this parish.
The Cornish rebels were defeated with great slaughter at Feniton Bridge
in the reign of Edward VI., by Sir John Russell and Lord Grey; Sir Gawen
Carew was wounded in the action. (fn. 7)
The manor of Feniton was the property of the ancient family of Malherbe,
who had their residence here as early as the reign of Henry II. After
thirteen generations (fn. 8) the heiress married Ferrers, and afterwards Kirkham.
The manor continued some time in the last-mentioned family, and was by
them sold to the Carys of Cockington. In 1693, Charles Kelland, Esq.,
of Painsford, purchased the manor of Feniton of the family of Trosse.
The greater part was purchased of the representatives of Kelland by the
late James Northcote, Esq., and is now vested in his sons, Mr. James Northcote and Mr. George Barons Northcote; the latter being possessed of the
site of the manor, has taken down the old manor-house, and built on this
part of the estate a handsome mansion near the church for his own residence. The lord of this manor had formerly the singular privilege of
beheading criminals. (fn. 9)
The advowson of the rectory is vested in the Rev. John Rogers, the
present incumbent, Mr. Wolley, and the Northcote family, each of the
parties being entitled to every third presentation.
Within the altar is, or was lately, a tomb with an emaciated effigies. There
are memorials for the family of Wright of Corscombe. (fn. 10)
FILLEIGH, in the hundred of Braunton and deanery of Barnstaple, lies
about four miles from South Molton, and about eight from Barnstaple.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry II., to the ancient family of
De Filleigh, whose heiress, after seven descents, married William Trewen,
Esq., of Weare Giffard, by whom she had a daughter and heiress married
to Densell; the grand-daughter of Densell brought this estate to Martin
Fortescue, son of the Chief Justice, and ancestor of Matthew Earl Fortescue, who is the present proprietor.
Castle Hill, the seat of Earl Fortescue, is in this parish. The old mansion
at Castle Hill was much altered by Hugh Fortescue, Lord Clinton, about
the year 1740, and the grounds were laid out about the same time. The
Portugal laurels in the shrubbery are of a remarkable size: the trunk of
the smallest of four, is six feet seven inches in circumference; that of the
largest, nine feet one inch; the spread of the branches of the latter is 135
feet in circumference. In the kitchen-garden, is a peach-tree of uncommon
dimensions, reaching to the top of a sixteen-feet wall, and extending in
length thirty-seven feet; it extended five or six feet further before it was
checked by an unfavourable season four years ago. It is now all bearing
wood: the sort is the galante.
In the old church at Filleigh was a brass-plate (with his effigies) in memory
of Richard Fortescue, Esq., of Filleigh who died in 1570. The present
church was built by Lord Fortescue in 1732, and consecrated by Bishop
Weston. In this church is the monument of Lucy, daughter of Matthew
Aylmer, and widow of Hugh Fortescue, Esq., of Filleigh, 1767. In the
church-yard are the tombs of some ancient servants of the Fortescue family;
one of whom, Philippa Collins, died in their service at the age of 101 (after
fifty-four years' service,) in 1749. The rectory which is annexed to West
Buckland is in the patronage of Earl Fortescue.
There is no endowed school in this parish; but thirty-six girls and twelve
boys are clothed and taught by the benevolence of Earl and Countess
FREMINGTON, in the hundred of that name and in the deanery of Barnstaple, lies about three miles and a half from Barnstaple, and about six
from Bideford. It is an ancient borough, and once sent burgesses to the
parliament at Westminster in the reign of Edward III. (fn. 11) In 1547, Fremington was not considered as a separate parish, but as forming part of the
parish of Instow. Merchant vessels usually anchor on the east side of the
small estuary called Fremington Pill, to await the spring tides, for which a
small salvage is claimed by the lord of the manor: coal barks discharge
their cargoes here, for the supply of the neighbouring inhabitants.
The manor of Fremington, which had been Earl Harold's, was given
by the Conqueror to Geoffrey bishop of Constance, his lieutenant-general
at the battle of Hastings, and it was one of the five manors held by that
prelate in demesne. The manor and hundred of Fremington belonged,
some time afterwards, to the Traceys, barons of Barnstaple, and descended
through the baronial family of Martyn to the Lords Audley. (fn. 12) Having
devolved to the crown by virtue of an entail, in default of male heirs, it
was granted, by King Richard II., to John Holland, Earl of Huntingdon. In 1487, Margaret Countess of Richmond had a grant of it
for life. In the year 1556, it was purchased of Mr. Barnard Hampton,
by Hugh Sloly, Esq. After the death of John Sloly, Esq., in 1666, it
became the property of Richard Hawkins, Esq., who married the heiress
of that family. About 1682, it was purchased by Richard Acland, Esq.,
whose grand-daughter brought it to William Barbor, Esq., ancestor of
George Acland Barbor, Esq., of Fremington House, the present proprietor.
The gardens at Fremington are large, and the green-houses, hot-houses,
&c. upon an extensive scale, with a valuable collection of exotics.
Three-fourths of the manor of East Heales, alias East Healing Button,
in this parish, belonged to the family of Speccot, and having passed by successive female heirs to Hals and Trelawney, was bequeathed by Mrs.
Catherine Trelawney, devisee of her husband Colonel Edward Trelawney,
to her sister Mary, wife of Daniel Stott, Esq.; and by the latter to her
daughter, by a former husband, the wife of the Honourable Rose Herring
May, member of the council in Jamaica, with remainder to her seven
daughters; six of whom survive, and are the present proprietors. (fn. 13)
The manor of Colybeare, in this parish, passed with the heiress of Colybeare to the Thomsons, whose heiress married the late Rev. S. May; it
is now the property of his son, the Rev. Samuel May, elder brother of the
present vicar, who possesses also the barton of Brynsworthy, where he resides, and other estates (fn. 14) in this parish.
In the parish church are memorials of the families of Sloly (fn. 15) , Davie (fn. 16) ,
Paige (fn. 17) , Pollard (fn. 18) , Hardinge (fn. 19) , and May (fn. 20) ; and an elegant monument for
the late George Barbor, Esq., who died in 1817. The church was enlarged
and repaired in 1813, at the expense of the vicar and inhabitants; on this
occasion, the rich and elegant Gothic screen being in a state of decay was removed; in consequence of the new paving, some of the inscribed gravestones, mentioned in Mr. Incledon's notes, are not now to be seen. (fn. 21)
The great tithes of Fremington were appropriated to the prior and convent of Hartland, having been given to that monastery by Oliver de Tracey.
In the seventeenth century, the impropriation was vested in the family of
Doddridge: it now belongs to G. A. Barbor, Esq. The Rev. Charles
Hill is patron of the vicarage. In the year 1658, John Doddridge, Esq.,
of Bremridge, charged the rectory estate with an annual payment of 50l.
for the endowment of a lectureship in this parish. This lectureship, till
about the year 1800, had been given to the vicar, who officiated as lecturer
in Fremington church every Thursday. Since that time the lecture has
been discontinued, and the stipend enjoyed sine officio by a distant clergyman. (fn. 22)
FRITHELSTOCK, in the hundred of Shebbear and in the deanery of
Hartland, lies about two miles from Torrington. The villages of Frithelstock-Stone, and Milford, are in this parish. There was a small priory of
Austin canons at this place, founded, in the beginning of Henry the Third's
reign, by Sir Roger Beauchamp, who placed there some monks from the
monastery of Hartland. The two monasteries continued to be so far connected, that the abbot of Hartland had always a vote in the election of the
priors of Frithelstock, and the prior of Frithelstock in the election of the
abbots of Hartland. (fn. 23) Its revenues were valued, at the time of the dissolution, at 127l. 2s. 4¼d. per annum. The priory estate was granted by King
Henry VIII. to Arthur, Viscount Lisle. It was afterwards in the family of
Rolle, from whom it descended to the Earl of Orford and Lord Clinton.
The priory has been held on lease, since the year 1602, by the family of
Gay, and it is now in the occupation of the widow of the Rev. Mr. Gay.
Part of the priory church is remaining, with lancet-shaped windows coeval
with the foundation.
The manor of Frithelstock was in the family of Tonkin, by whom it
was sold to Awse. The late Mrs. Melhuish inherited from a brother of
that name; and it is now the property of her nephew, the Rev. W. P.
Thomas, of Drake's Place, Wellington.
In the parish-church are memorials of the families of Dene, Gay, and
Lambe. (fn. 24)
Mrs. Prudence Johns is impropriator of the tithes, and patron of the
curacy. There were certain chantries in the church or chapel of Frithelstock
endowed with the advowson of Ashwater. (fn. 25) Mrs. Elizabeth and Mr. James
Gay, in 1735 and 1743, left small sums of money for instructing poor
GEORGEHAM, in the hundred of Braunton and in the deanery of Shirwell, lies about seven miles from Ilfracombe, and about nine from Barnstaple. Puttsborough, Darracot, North Buckland and Croy, are the
principal villages in this parish.
The manor of Georgeham was, in the reign of Henry III., the property
and residence of Sir Robert de Pickwell; in the succeeding reign, of Sir
Mauger St. Albyn. From the latter this estate passed, by successive female
heirs, to Hacombe, Ercedekne, Courtenay, and Carew. Sir Peter Carew
sold it to Newcourt, in whose family it continued two or three generations.
The heiress of Toby Newcourt, the last of this family, about the middle
of the seventeenth century, married Chichester: this manor, with that of
Buckland Dinham, which by the name seems to have belonged formerly to
the Dinham family, was purchased of the Bucks soon after 1774 by the
late Miss Harris of Pickwell, in this parish. Pickwell was inherited from
her father John Harris, Esq., M. P. for Barnstaple. It was some time his
seat, and afterwards that of his daughter and of the late Mrs. Mackenzie,
to whom Miss Harris had bequeathed all her estates in Georgeham. The
manors of Georgeham and Buckland Dinham are now, by Mrs. Mackenzie's bequest, the property of Miss Woodley, daughter of Charles
Woodley, Esq., of the island of Jamaica. The reversion of Pickwell had
been sold to Mr. John Newton of Bridestowe, who is the present proprietor.
Part of the house is inhabited by the farmer of the estate, the remainder
The manor of Puttsborough, in this parish, which, in the course of the
last half century, has passed through several hands, is now the property
of John Horwood, a minor. The manor of Crede belongs to General
Webber, of Buckland, in Braunton. South Hole, in this parish, belonged,
in the reign of Henry III., to the family of Hole, whose heiress, after three
generations, married Stapiscot. It afterwards passed by sale to Dennis,
which family possessed it in Sir William Pole's time: Lord Rolle has a
moiety of this estate by inheritance from Dennis; the other moiety belongs
to John Heddon, by devise from Richards. Mr. Heddon holds a lease for
lives of Lord Rolle's moiety.
In the parish-church is the tomb of a crusader, supposed to be that of
Sir Mauger St. Albyn, and monuments of John Harris, Esq., of Pickwell (fn. 26) ,
above mentioned, who died in 1768; Toby Newcourt, Esq. (fn. 27) ; the Rev.
William Chichester, rector, 1770; Edward Richards, Gent., 1751; Elizabeth, wife of the Rev. Thomas Hole, rector, 1814, &c. In the church-yard
are memorials of others of the Newcourt family. (fn. 28) Sir Arthur Chichester,
Bart., is patron of the rectory.
Simon Gould and his wife Julian being both in the 101st year of their
age, and having been married at least 75 years, died in the month of
March, 1817, and were buried at Georgeham; Simon on the 6th, and
Julian on the 25th.
Mr. John Richards, about the year 1770, gave a rent-charge of 5l. per
annum for the endowment of two schools for poor children. This benefaction was voidable by the statute of mortmain, but the present rector, the
Rev. Thomas Hole, in whom the land on which it is charged is vested, professes his intention to legalize the bequest, and at present generously adds
8l. per annum to the charity, by which 22 children are instructed. (fn. 29)
German's Wick, or Week St. German's
GERMAN'S WICK, or WEEK ST. GERMAN'S, in the hundred of Lifton and
deanery of Oakhampton, lies about 10 miles from Oakhampton, 10 from
Holsworthy, and 10 from Launceston.
The manor of German's Week, with the barton of Eworthy, belonged
to the family of Rolle, of whom they were purchased by the late Sir
John Call, Bart., and are now the property of his son, Sir William Pratt
The manor of South Week belonged anciently to the family of Dennis,
afterwards, in the reign of Edward I., to a younger branch of Kelly. It
continued in the latter for several descents. In Sir William Pole's time,
it was in the co-heiresses of Trelawney, soon afterwards in the Cloberry
family. Dr. Battie purchased it of the trustees of William Cloberry, Esq.
in 1750; his daughter brought it in marriage to John Rashleigh, Esq., of
Penquite, of whom it was purchased by John Luxmoore, Esq., in 1773.
It is now the property of the Rev. C. T. C. Luxmoore.
German's Week is a daughter-church to Broadwood Wiger.
Gidley, or Gidleigh
GIDLEY, or GIDLEIGH, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery
of Dunsford, lies about two miles from Chagford, and about six from
Moreton Hampsted. There is a small village in this parish called Chapel.
The manor of Gidley belonged, as early as the reign of Henry II., to
the ancient family of Prouz or Prous, who had a castle here. This elder
branch became extinct in the reign of Edward II., and Gidley castle and
manor passed with its heiress to Mules, and from Mules in like manner to
Damarell. William Damarell, Esq., of Gidley, gave this estate to his
daughter, the wife of Walter Coade, Esq., of Morvall, in Cornwall, in whose
descendants it continued when Sir William Pole made his collections. Of
late years it became the property of an ancient family, who had long
resided at Gidley, and had taken their name from the place of their
residence. After the death of the late Bartholomew Gidley, Esq., this estate
passed into the family of Rattery; and there was a chancery-suit respecting
it. The manor and advowson have lately been purchased under a decree of
the court by the Rev. Thomas Whipham, vicar of King's Teignton.
St. Giles, or Stow St. Giles
ST. GILES, or STOW ST. GILES, commonly called St. Giles in the Wood, in
the hundred of Fremington and in the deanery of Torrington, lies about
two miles and a half from Torrington. The villages of Kingscot, High
Bullen, and Healand, are in this parish.
The manor of Stevenston, or Stephenston, in this parish, was conveyed
by Michael de St. Stephen, in the reign of King John, to Richard Basset.
Elias his son alienated it to John De la Lay, whose son John took the name of
Stephenston: the heiress of this family after three descents married Grant:
a co-heiress of Grant brought this estate to Moyle: Sir Walter Moyle
possessed it in the reign of Henry VI. In the reign of Henry VIII. it
was purchased of the Moyles by George Rolle, Esq., ancestor of the Right
Honourable Lord Rolle, who is the present proprietor. Stevenstone House,
which is one of the seats of Lord Rolle (fn. 30) , was taken by Sir Thomas
Fairfax on the 16th of February, 1646, he being then on his march to the
attack of Torrington: after the successful issue of that attack, he returned
to Stevenstone on the 19th. (fn. 31) There is a deer-park at Stevenstone, in
which are some red deer.
Way, in this parish, was anciently the property of the De la Ways, of
whom it was purchased by Pollard. In Risdon's time it belonged to Mr.
Lewis Wellington: it is now the property of the Rev. Peter Wellington
Furse of Torrington and of Halsdon, in the parish of Dolton, whose father
married the daughter of Peter Wellington, Esq., the last of that family. (fn. 32)
Winscot, in St. Giles, belonged in the reign of King John to the family
of De Winscot, whose heiress, in the reign of Richard II., brought it to
Barry. The heiress of this branch of Barry bequeathed Winscot to her
half-brother, Tristram Risdon, the antiquary. (fn. 33) After the extinction of
the Risdon family (fn. 34) , this barton passed by heirs female to Lovett and
Northcote, Sir Stafford Northcote, Bart., being the present proprietor.
Winscot is now a farm-house. Doddescott was, in the reign of Henry III.,
the property and residence of Sir Thomas Herward. The co-heiresses of
this family, in the reign of Edward III., married Denband, Molton, Prudhome, and Sore. This manor is now the property of Lord Rolle, who is
possessed also of the manor of Moore. His ancestor, Sir John Rolle, died
seised of these estates in 1706.
In the parish-church is the monument of Thomas Chafe, Esq. (fn. 35) , of Chafecombe, in Somersetshire, 1605 (with his effigies); and memorials of the
families of Pollard (fn. 36) , Risdon (fn. 37) , Rolle (fn. 38) , Wellington (fn. 39) , and Hole. (fn. 40)
The church of St. Giles was originally built in 1309, as a chapel to
Torrington, with the consent of Sir Richard Merton, patron of Torrington,
and Walter Stapeldon, bishop of Exeter. It is now a separate parish called
Stow St. Giles. The dean and chapter of Christ Church College, in
Oxford, are impropriators of the tithes, and patrons of the benefice. Saint
Giles is a daughter-church to Great Torrington.
There is an almshouse in this parish for four poor widows, founded by
one of the Rolle family, and endowed with an annuity of 1l. 5s. for each
widow. The pensioners are appointed by Lord Rolle.
St. Giles in the Heath
ST. GILES IN THE HEATH lies on the borders of Cornwall, about five miles
from Launceston, in that county, and nine from Holsworthy, in Devon.
It is in the hundred of Black Torrington and in the deanery of Trigg
Major, in the archdeaconry of Cornwall. The villages of East and West
Panson, Hoggadon, and Sitcott, are in this parish.
The manor of Cary was probably the ancient and original seat of the
Cary family, but for some centuries it has passed with the barton of Panson.
It had been for a considerable time in the family of Spettigue, and Mr.
Joseph Spettigue still possesses a third of it; the remainder he sold, about
1815, to Mr. John Spettigue Mill, who is the present proprietor.
The barton of Panson or Paunston, although locally situated in this
parish, is said by Risdon to belong to South Sydenham. I find, on inquiry,
that it is now deemed to be in St. Giles; it has, however, some connection
with Sydenham, to the rector of which parish it pays a composition of
14s. 8d. in lieu of tithes, in pursuance of an agreement made in 1630
between Percival Carwithen, Esq., of Panson, and the then rector of
Sydenham. (fn. 41) Risdon says that it appeared by ancient evidence that the
lord of Panson had a right to go once a year to the parson's house at Sydenham, attended by his wife, a man and maid servant for a week to hunt, with
five couple of hounds and a white greyhound. The tradition at St. Giles is
that the parson of Sydenham was to hunt for that time at Panson, being
lodged at the barton. The barton of Hollow Panson or Paunston was the
property and residence of the Paunston family, to whom it gave name,
and whose heiress brought to the Carwithens in the reign of Henry VI.
In consequence of this match they removed to Paunston, which was their
residence for several generations. We have seen that it continued in that
family in 1630, and probably some time later. This barton and the
manor of Panson now belong to Sir Arscott Ourry Molesworth, Bart., by
inheritance from the Arscotts.
The tithes formerly appropriated to the monastery of Tavistock are
now vested in the incumbent, most probably by the benefaction of
Sir John Maynard, from whom the advowson seems to have passed to
the noble family of Hobart. It is now, by inheritance from his mother
Lady Sophia Hobart, who was one of the co-heirs of John, Earl of
Buckinghamshire, the property of Lord Viscount Valletort, and may be
considered as a rectory, though still presented to as a curacy.
GITTISHAM, in the hundred of East Budleigh and in the deanery of
Honiton, lies about three miles from Honiton. There is a small village in
this parish called Westcot.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry II., to the ancient family of
Lomen or De Lumine, of whom three or four knights followed in succession. In the reign of Edward I. it was in the Willingtons, whose
heiress brought it to Beaumont. After the death of Thomas Beaumont,
in the reign of Henry VII., this and other large estates were claimed by
John, son of Joan Beaumont, born during a separation from her husband.
In consequence of an agreement between the parties, Gittisham was
assigned to the said John, whose son took the name of Beaumont. Henry,
his great-grandson dying without issue in 1599, devised this manor to
Sir Thomas Beaumont, of Leicestershire, whose son, Sir Henry, sold it
in 1615 to Nicholas Putt, Esq. Thomas Putt, Esq., of Gittisham (grandson of Nicholas), was created a baronet in 1666. His son Sir Thomas, the
second baronet, dying without issue in 1727, the title became extinct; and
this manor passed, under his will, to Raymundo Putt, his cousin, grandfather of the Rev. Thomas Putt, who is the present lord of the manor,
and resides at Combe, the seat of his ancestors, which was purchased with
Sir William Pole speaks of a manor in this parish belonging, in his
time, to the Mallets by inheritance from the family of Tacle. Streat, in
this parish, was long in the family of Stile, the last of whom left two
In the parish-church are monuments of Henry Beaumont, 1591, with
kneeling effigies; Sir Thomas Putt, Bart., 1686; Ursula, Lady Putt, 1674;
John Fiennes, Esq., (grandson of William Viscount Say and Sele,) 1671;
and the Hon. David Stuart, son of James Earl of Murray, 1784: Mr.
Putt is patron of the rectory.
There is a charity-school at Gittisham, founded in 1686, by Sir Thomas
Putt, Bart., and endowed by him with 10l. per annum.
GOODLEIGH, in the hundred of Braunton and in the deanery of Shirwell,
lies about four miles from Barnstaple.
At the time of the Domesday survey, the manor of Goodleigh was held
in demesne by Robert De Albemarle, or Damarell: all that we know of it
at a later period is, that having been parcel of the duchy of Lancaster,
and extending into the parishes of Swimbridge, Marwood, and Ilfracombe,
it was sold by the crown to the family of Rashleigh, of whom it was purchased by R. N. Incledon, Esq., the present proprietor. The tenants of
this manor are exempt from toll at the markets and fairs at Barnstaple.
Yeo Town, the seat of Mr. Incledon, altered and newly fronted from his
own designs in the style of Gothic architecture, is situated in a sequestered
and wooded valley on the banks of the Yeo.
In the parish-church are some memorials of the family of Acland. (fn. 42)
The Rev. William Churchward, the present incumbent, is patron of the
Goodleigh is spoken of by Risdon as famous for its cherry-orchards.
They are still kept up, and yield an abundant produce, particularly of
black cherries, which are brought to Barnstaple, South Molton, and other
markets, in the months of July and August.