Branscombe (St. Winifred)
BRANSCOMBE (St. Winifred), a parish, in the
union of Honiton, hundred of Colyton, Honiton and
S. divisions of Devon, 4¾ miles (E.) from Sidmouth;
containing 956 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on
the south and east by the British Channel, and comprises 2987 acres, of which 462 are common or waste;
in some parts its scenery is beautiful and romantic.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£18. 15. 10., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of
Exeter, the appropriators: the great tithes have been
commuted for £268; and those of the incumbent for
£225, with a glebe of 3 acres. The founder of Wadham College, Oxford, was buried here.
Bransdale, East Side
BRANSDALE, EAST SIDE, a hamlet, in the parish
of Kirkby-Moorside, union of Helmsley, wapentake
of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 11 miles (N. W.) from
Pickering; containing 134 inhabitants. This place, and
Bransdale, West Side, form one township, and comprise
together about 3000 acres of land: they are separated
by a stream running in a direction from north-northwest to south-south-east. There is a chapel of ease in
the hamlet of Cockan, in the township.
Bransdale, West Side
BRANSDALE, WEST SIDE, a hamlet, in the
parish of Kirkdale, union of Helmsley, wapentake
of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 11 miles (N. by W.)
from Helmsley; containing 80 inhabitants.
BRANSFORD, a chapelry, in the parish of Leigh,
union of Martley, Lower division of the hundred of
Pershore, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of
Worcester, 3¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Worcester; containing 277 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1034
acres of rich land, whereof two-thirds are arable, and
the remainder pasture. It is situated on the south of
the river Teme, in the eastern part of the parish, and is
crossed from north to south by the road from Worcester
to Hereford. The chapel, dedicated to St. John the
Baptist, is an ancient structure, containing about 100
BRANSGORE, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Christchurch, Ringwood and S. divisions of
the county of Southampton, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from
Christchurch. The living is a perpetual curacy; net
income, £73; patron, the Vicar of Christchurch. The
chapel was built in 1822, at an expense of £2800, defrayed by the Parliamentary Commissioners; and is a
neat edifice in the later English style, with a tower and
spire. National schoolrooms were built by subscription,
in the year 1839.
Branston, or Braunston (St. Guthlake)
BRANSTON, or Braunston (St. Guthlake), a
parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of
Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester,
9 miles (S. W. by W.) from Grantham, containing 333
inhabitants, and comprising about 2200 acres. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£15. 10. 5.; net income, £350, derived from land;
patron, the Duke of Rutland: there is a good rectoryhouse. The church has been recently embellished with
a handsome east window, and refitted with open seats;
the pulpit is of stone, after the model of that of St.
Branston (All Saints)
BRANSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the wapentake of Langoe, parts of Kesteven, union and county
of Lincoln, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Lincoln; containing
1122 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £18. 17. 11.; net income, £677; patron and incumbent, the Rev. P. Curtois: land was
assigned in 1801, in lieu of tithes. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
BRANSTONE, a township, in the parish and union
of Burton-Upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of
Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (S. W.
by W.) from Burton; containing 441 inhabitants. The
village is seated on the north bank of the river Trent,
and the road from Burton to Lichfield passes through it.
Sinai Park, which occupies a fine eminence, was the
summer retreat of the abbots of Burton. On the top
of the hill are the lines of an encampment.
Brantham (St. Michael)
BRANTHAM (St. Michael), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Samford, E. division of
Suffolk, 1 mile (N. by E.) from Manningtree; containing 404 inhabitants. It comprises 1922a. 2r. 20p., of
which 1860 acres are in cultivation; the river Stour,
which here divides into two branches, is navigable on
the southern side of the parish. The living is a rectory,
with that of East Bergholt consolidated, valued in the
king's books at £25. 10., and in the patronage of Emmanuel College, Cambridge: the tithes of the two parishes
have been commuted for £1320, and there are 42½ acres
of glebe. There was formerly a chapel in the hamlet of
BRANTHWAITE, a township, in the parish of
Dean, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above
Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 6 miles (S. W.)
from Cockermouth; containing 300 inhabitants. Several
years since, a considerable quantity of a ferruginous
kind of limestone, called catscalp, was obtained here,
and sent to the iron-works at Clifton and Seaton; but
this branch of trade has ceased. There are quarries of
white freestone, a woollen manufactory, a paper-mill,
and two corn-mills. The Methodists have a place of
Brantingham (All Saints)
BRANTINGHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Beverley, partly in the Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, and partly in the
wapentake of Howdenshire, E. riding of York; comprising the townships of Thorpe-Brantingham and Ellerker, and containing 635 inhabitants, of whom 112 are
in Thorpe-Brantingham, 2 miles (S. E. by E.) from
South Cave. It comprises 3370 acres, chiefly arable
and pasture land, besides some thriving plantations,
which contribute much to the beauty of the scenery.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £12. 9. 2.; net income, £176; patrons and
appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The
great tithes have been commuted for £25, and the
vicarial for £7; there is an appropriate glebe of 3 acres,
and a vicarial glebe of 2. The church is in the perpendicular style, with some traces of Norman architecture
in the porch. There is a chapel of ease at Ellerker.
BRANTON, a township, in the parish of Eglingham, union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale
ward and of Northumberland, 9¼ miles (S. S. E.)
from Wooler; containing 119 inhabitants. Some antiquaries have supposed that this is the Roman station
Bremenium. The township comprises 1143 acres, whereof two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture,
including 16 acres of plantation. There is a fine freestone quarry, out of which Lilburne tower was built.
The village is situated on the south side of the Breamish,
and at a short distance west of the road from Morpeth
to Wooler. The vicarial tithes have been commuted
for £60. 10. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians.
Branton, or Brampton
BRANTON, or Brampton, a hamlet, in the parish
of Cantley, union of Doncaster, S. division of Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, W. riding of York,
4 miles (S. E.) from Doncaster; containing 286 inhabitants. The river Torne passes at a short distance
east of the village. A national school was opened in
1835, which is also used as a chapel of ease on Sunday
Branton-Green.—See Dunsforth, Upper.
BRANTON-GREEN.—See Dunsforth, Upper.
BRANXTON, a parish, in the union of Glendale,
W. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Coldstream,
and 9¼ (N. W.) from Wooler; containing 261 inhabitants. This parish comprises by measurement 1535
acres, and is situated about half a mile to the south of
the road from Wooler to Coldstream. The battle of
Flodden, in 1513, was principally fought here: the Earl
of Surrey drew up his men, after crossing the Till, on
the flat ground immediately under Kingchair or Kingshire Hill, the foot of which bounds the parish. The
battle was hotly contested from the south to the north
of Branxton, especially about the church and village,
and thence to the north of the Wooler road. In Westfield, about 150 yards from the turnpike-road, on Sir
Henry Askew's property, is an unhewn pillar of basalt,
about five feet high, and more than three feet in diameter, commemorative of the battle; it is called the King's
stone, and is said to point out the place where King
James fell. In June 1524, a skirmish took place between the Lord of Fowberry, at the head of 100 cavalry,
and a party of Scottish infantry, who, in number about
500, crossed the Tweed, for the purpose of plundering
traders resorting to Berwick fair. There are several
quarries of whinstone applicable for making roads and
building farmhouses. The living is a vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £3. 6. 8.; net income, £200;
patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham; impropriators, the landowners. The glebe-house was built in
1838, and commands extensive prospects. The church
was rebuilt in 1844, in the Norman style, at a cost of
£500: a very ancient arch, supposed to be nearly 800
years old, and which divides the chancel from the nave,
was preserved in the rebuilding. Some very fine jaspers
and moss agates have been found; and swords and
balls, some of which are in the possession of the Askew
family, have been ploughed up at various times. The
Rev. Percival Stockdale, a writer of considerable merit,
was born here in 1733, during the incumbency of his
BRASCOTE, a hamlet, in the parish of NewboldVerdon, union of Market-Bosworth, hundred of
Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester;
containing 55 inhabitants.
BRASHFIELD, a hamlet, in the parish of Mitchelmersh, hundred of Buddlesgate, Romsey and S. divisions of the county of Hants; containing 399 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for dissenters.
BRASSINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Bradborne, hundred of Wirksworth, S. division of the
county of Derby, 3¾ miles (W. by N.) from Wirksworth; containing 776 inhabitants. One of two manors
here belonged, at the time of the Domesday survey, to
Henry de Ferrers, and passed to the Nevills, Talbots,
and various other families. The second manor, called
the King's or the Duchy manor, from having been
parcel of the duchy of Lancaster, was granted in 1630
by Charles I. to Charles Harbord and others, by whom
it was conveyed, shortly afterwards, to the Pegge and
Lees families; it subsequently passed, in moieties, to
the Lowes, Haynes, Newtons, &c. The chapelry is
situated on the road from Hognaston to Winster, and
a short distance south of the Cromford canal. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £87; patron
and impropriator, John Bainbrigge Story, Esq., of Lockington Hall. The chapel exhibits various styles, from
the Norman to the later English. A plot of about five
acres of land, given by Thurston Dale, in 1742, is now
in the occupation of a schoolmaster, who instructs
twelve children free in a national school.
Brasted (St. Martin)
BRASTED (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of
Seven-Oaks, hundred of Codsheath, lathe of Suttonat-Hone, W. division of Kent, 3¾ miles (W. by N.)
from Seven-Oaks; containing 1130 inhabitants. It is
situated near the South-Eastern railway; and comprises
4300 acres by computation, of which about 2500 are
arable, 250 meadow and pasture, 100 acres hops, and
the remainder wood, coppice, and church land. A fair is
held on Holy-Thursday. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £22. 6. 8.; net income, about
£600; patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Brattleby (St. Cuthbert)
BRATTLEBY (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the wapentake of Lawress, parts of Lindsey, union and county
of Lincoln, 6½ miles (N. N. W.) from Lincoln; containing 168 inhabitants. The parish comprises about
1060 acres: the soil is various, and near the village
forms good grazing-land; limestone and lias are quarried in the higher grounds. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 10.; net income, £260; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Balliol
College, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land
at the inclosure; the total glebe comprises 185 acres.
The church has been rebuilt.
BRATTON, a chapelry district, in the parish and
hundred of Westbury, poor law union of Westbury
and Whorwelsdown, Westbury and S. divisions,
and Trowbridge and Bradford subdivisions, of Wilts,
3 miles (E. N. E.) from Westbury; containing 729 inhabitants. Bratton Castle is a strong encampment,
where the Danes, after their defeat by the Saxons, held
out for fourteen days. On the slope of the hill beneath
it is the figure of a horse, cut out, as tradition relates,
by the troops of Alfred, in memory of the victory which
they obtained on Eddington Down: several fragments
of military weapons have been dug up in the vicinity.
The chapel is dedicated to St. James. There is a place
of worship for Particular Baptists.
BRATTON-CLOVELLY, a parish, in the union of
Oakhampton, hundred of Lifton, Lifton and S. divisions of Devon, 9 miles (W. S. W.) from Oakhampton;
containing 870 inhabitants, and comprising about 9000
acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books
at £21. 5. 2½.; net income, £412; patron, the Bishop
of Exeter. On an eminence about three miles northward is Broadbury Castle, an ancient earthwork defended by a single vallum and fosse.
Bratton-Fleming (St. Peter)
BRATTON-FLEMING (St. Peter), a parish, in
the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton,
Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 7 miles (N. E.
by E.) from Barnstaple; containing 708 inhabitants.
It comprises 4881 acres, and is bounded by valleys
remarkable for their romantic beauty; there are quarries of slate for paving. In 1838 an act was passed
for inclosing waste lands, when about three acres were
appropriated for recreation. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £29. 15. 5., and in the
gift of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge: the
tithes have been commuted for £435, and there is an
excellent glebe, with a house in the Elizabethan style.
The church, which was rebuilt about 150 years ago, is
of very plain architecture, with the exception of two
east windows of the perpendicular style, the only part of
the original edifice remaining. There is a fellowship in
Caius College, founded by the Rev. Mr. Wortley (formerly incumbent) and appropriated to the natives of
the parish, if such can be found. On Bratton Down
are numerous barrows; and at Nightacott, in the
neighbourhood, are six upright stones, the supposed
remains of a Druidical circle.
Bratton-Seymour (Holy Trinity)
BRATTON-SEYMOUR (Holy Trinity), a parish,
in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Norton-Ferris, E. division of Somerset, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from
Wincanton; containing 103 inhabitants. It comprises
1093a. 2r. 36p., of which 790 acres are pasture, 218
arable, and 73 woodland. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 4. 7., and in
the alternate patronage of Sir Ralph Lopes, Bart., and
Mr. John Hodges: the tithes have been commuted for
£132, and there are nearly 59 acres of glebe.
Braughin (St. Mary)
BRAUGHIN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Braughin, county of
Hertford, 10 miles (N. E.) from Hertford, and 28 (N.)
from London; containing, with part of the hamlet of
Puckeridge, 1358 inhabitants. This place, in the Norman survey called Brachinges, and by the Saxons Brooking, from the streams and meadows in its vicinity, was
anciently a market-town of considerable importance,
and a demesne of the Saxon kings: by some historians
it is supposed to have been a Roman station, and the
remains of a camp may still be distinguished. The town
or village is pleasantly situated on the small river Quin,
near its confluence with the Rib, and even now exhibits
traces of its former greatness. The market, which was
granted in the reign of Stephen, has been discontinued;
but a fair is held on Whit-Monday and the following
day. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £19. 13. 4.; net income, £192; patron, the Rev. W.
Tower: in 1812, land and corn-rents were assigned in
lieu of all tithes. The church is a handsome and spacious edifice, with a square embattled tower surmounted
by a spire. There is a place of worship for Independents. On a lofty eminence to the south of the village,
are the remains of an encampment, of which part of the
vallum and fortifications may be traced: the form is
quadrilateral, and the area contains nearly 40 acres;
the south-western angle is rounded, and on the north is
a triple rampart.
Brauncewell (All Saints)
BRAUNCEWELL (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Sleaford, wapentake of Flaxwell, parts of
Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 4¾ miles (N. N. W.)
from Sleaford; containing 125 inhabitants. The parish
is situated on the road from London to Lincoln; and,
including the hamlet of Dunsby, comprises 2430 acres
by measurement. Since the improvements of the last
century, and the introduction of extraneous manures,
the soil, formerly poor, has been much enriched; and
the village, which had fallen into decay, has been rebuilt: freestone of the upper oolite formation is quarried. The living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of Anwick and the rectory of Dunsby united, valued
in the king's books at £9. 8. 11½.; net income, £580;
patron, the Marquess of Bristol. The church, a very
substantial structure, was rebuilt in 1814. Some traces
of the foundations of the church of Dunsby may still
be seen, on a spot called Old Dunsby.
Braunston, anciently Brandeston (All Saints)
BRAUNSTON, anciently Brandeston (All Saints),
a parish, in the union of Daventry, hundred of Fawsley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 2¾
miles (N. W.) from Daventry; containing 1469 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2962 acres,
and the small brook Leam separates it from Warwickshire: the road from Daventry to Coventry, forming
part of the Holyhead road, passes through it; and the
Oxford and Grand Junction canals unite here. The
village, which once consisted of two detached portions, called Great and Little Braunston, commands,
from the brow of a steep declivity, an extensive opening
into Warwickshire. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £31. 2. 11.; net income, £837; patrons,
the Principal and Fellows of Jesus College, Oxford.
About 390 acres of land were assigned in lieu of tithes,
in 1766; and there is an excellent glebe-house, lately
erected. The church is in the decorated English style,
consisting of a nave, north and south aisles, and chancel, with a handsome square embattled tower, crowned
with pinnacles at the angles, and surmounted by a
crocketed octangular spire, rising to the height of 150
feet: standing on a bank, the edifice forms a fine feature
in the country, visible for many miles round. There
are places of worship for Calvinistic Baptists and Wesleyans; and a national school is supported partly by an
endowment of £29 per annum, arising from land bequeathed by Mr. William Makepeace in 1733. A pit on
the side of the old road to Daventry has produced a
large number and variety of organic remains, and an
almost complete series of rocky stratifications; and
some very scarce plants have been found in the parish.
Dr. Edward Reynolds, Bishop of Norwich, and an able
political writer, was incumbent here.
Braunston, or Branston (All Saints)
BRAUNSTON, or Branston (All Saints), a
parish, in the union and soke of Oakham, county of
Rutland, 2 miles (S. W.) from Oakham; containing
443 inhabitants. It comprises between 1500 and 2000
acres, of which the greater portion is arable; the soil is
various, but chiefly clay of inferior quality. An act of
parliament was passed in 1801, for inclosing the waste
lands. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Hambleton: the church is a small neat edifice.
BRAUNSTONE, a chapelry, in the parish of Glenfield, union of Blaby, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S.
division of the county of Leicester, 2¾ miles (S. W.
by W.) from Leicester; containing 195 inhabitants.
This place, which is separated from the parish of Aylestone by the river Soar, comprises about 1700 acres;
the soil is partly clay and partly of lighter quality,
forming good arable and pasture land, and the surface
is pleasingly diversified with hill and dale. The chapel
is dedicated to St. John the Baptist.
BRAUNSTONE-FRITH, an extra-parochial district,
in the union of Blaby, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 2 miles (W. S. W.)
from Leicester; containing 7 inhabitants.
Braunton (St. Brannock)
BRAUNTON (St. Brannock), a parish, in the union
of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton, Braunton and
N. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Barnstaple; containing 2274 inhabitants. The parish is supposed to derive its name from that of its patron saint. It
comprises 9150 acres, of which 3723 are common or
waste; on the west it is bounded by the Bristol Channel,
and on the south by the navigable river Taw, at the
mouth of which is a lighthouse. A tract of land, comprising about 900 acres, and formerly overflowed by the
sea, is considered the richest in the county. There is a
mine of manganese. The living is a vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £16. 3. 6½.; net income, £450;
patron, the Dean of Exeter. There is a place of worship
for Independents. A free school was founded by the Rev.
William Chaloner, in 1667; the endowment was augmented by Arthur Acland, Esq., in 1690, and the income
is now £75. The remains of some ancient chapels exist.