DRAYCOT, a hamlet, in the parish of Bourtonupon-Dunsmoor, union of Rugby, Rugby division of
the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county
of Warwick, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Dunchurch; containing 142 inhabitants.
Draycot-Cerne (St. Peter)
DRAYCOT-CERNE (St. Peter), a parish, in the
union of Chippenham, hundred of Malmesbury, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 3½ miles
(N. by E.) from Chippenham; containing 181 inhabitants. The parish takes the distinguishing affix to its
name from the family of Cerne, to whom the manor
anciently belonged. It is situated on the Avon, and
intersected by the Great Western railway, in a detached
portion near the river; and comprises by measurement
970 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £6. 7. 11., and in the gift of the Earl of
Mornington: the tithes have been commuted for £260,
and the glebe comprises 52 acres, with a glebe-house.
The church is an ancient structure. Weapons supposed
to be Saxon have been found. Dr. Buckeridge, successively Bishop of Rochester and of Ely, was born here
DRAYCOT-FOLIATT, a parish, in the union of
Highworth and Swindon, hundred of Kingsbridge,
Swindon and N. divisions of Wilts, 4½ miles (S. S. E.)
from Swindon; containing 26 inhabitants. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 6. 8.;
net income, £165; patron, A. Goddard, Esq. The
church has long been demolished, and the inhabitants
attend that of the adjoining parish.
DRAYCOT-FOLIATT, a chapelry, in the parish of
Wilcot, union of Pewsey, hundred of Swanborough,
Everley and Pewsey, and N. divisions of Wilts, 2¼ miles
(N.) from Pewsey. The tithes produce £180.
Draycot-in-the-Moors (St. Margaret)
DRAYCOT-IN-THE-MOORS (St. Margaret), a
parish, in the union of Cheadle, S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of
Stafford, 7½ miles (N. E.) from Stone; containing 550
inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from
Uttoxeter to Newcastle-under-Lyme, and intersected by
the river Blyth; and comprises 3880a. 3r. 17p., whereof
240 acres are wood, and 69 common or waste: the
scenery is pleasing. Red sandstone is quarried for
building; and the sinking of a shaft for coal was commenced, at Draycot Cross, in 1844. About half a
mile to the east of the village is the hamlet of Totmonslow, which gives name to the hundred, and where the
hundred court was formerly held; it is supposed to
have been anciently a place of some importance. Sir
Edward Vavasour, Bart., is lord of the manor. The late
baronet introduced the allotment system, which greatly
conduces to the comfort and prosperity of the poorer
inhabitants: thirty-six allotments of land are at present
let at a nominal rent; and further encouragement is
afforded by a parochial agricultural society.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£9. 6. 8., and in the patronage of Sir E. Vavasour: the
tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £423.
5. 3.; and the glebe contains 48 acres, valued at £130
per annum, with a glebe-house, almost entirely rebuilt in
1840. The nave of the church and upper part of the
tower were rebuilt in 1735; but the rector's chancel and
the patron's chancel (a mortuary chapel on the north)
are very ancient. In the south side of the former chancel
are a piscina and three sedilia, and a fine altar-tomb of
the 16th century, with recumbent effigies, and small
sculptured statues on the sides; and in the other chancel
or chantry, are five altar-tombs, the earliest that of a
Knight Templar. The church also contains some fine
old monuments of the Draycot family; and in the
churchyard is a pyramidal stone, similar to those stones
with which the Danes marked the depositories of their
deceased heroes. In 1839 a neat and commodious
school-house, close to the church, was built by the Rev.
E. C. Sneyd Kynnersley, the then rector, aided by the
principal Protestant farmers in the parish; and a school
is supported by Sir E. Vavasour, who, among other
annual charities, gives the rent of the manor-mill to be
distributed in flour to the poor. Painsley Hall, in the
parish, was a place of some note in the civil wars; it was
the manor-house of the Draycot family, and parts of the
old building are still remaining: the present occupant, a
few years since, filled up the moat by which it was surrounded. This Hall seems to have been a refuge for
Roman Catholics in times of religious peril, and one of
its rooms was used by them for the celebration of mass,
which was secretly performed with closed doors. Joseph
Rees, a shepherd, of Totmonslow hamlet, lived to the age
of 127 years; and Hannah Barnes, of Draycot village,
who died in 1777, lived to 100 years.—See the article on
DRAYCOTT, a liberty, in the parish of Wilne, union
of Shardlow, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch,
S. division of the county of Derby, 6½ miles (E. S. E.)
from Derby; containing 895 inhabitants. It comprises
1380a. 25p., whereof two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture, with a little woodland: the surface
generally is level, but hilly towards the north; and the
soil various, in some parts clay, and in others a light
loam. In 1800 the late Mr. Towle established a cottonmill here; the present factory was erected in 1814, and
enlarged in 1818. The Messrs. Towle have also works
for the manufacture of lace; and a second cotton-mill,
erected in 1831, The village, which is populous and
well built, is contiguous to the river Derwent, and to
the Derby canal, and Midland railway. The Primitive
Methodists and the Wesleyans have places of worship;
and a school is partly supported by subscription.
DRAYCOTT, a hamlet, in the parish of Ickford,
union of Thame, hundred of Ewelme, county of
Oxford; containing 12 inhabitants.
DRAYCOTT, a hamlet, in the parish of Limington,
union of Yeovil, hundred of Stone, W. division of the
county of Somerset; containing 50 inhabitants.
DRAYCOTT, a hamlet, partly in the parish of
Chedder, union of Axbridge, and partly in that of
Rodney-Stoke, union of Wells, hundred of Winterstoke, E. division of the county of Somerset, 6 miles
(N. W. by W.) from the city of Wells; containing 590
DRAYCOTT, a hamlet, in the parish of Blockley,
union of Shipston-on-Stour, Upper division of the
hundred of Oswaldslow, Blockley and E. divisions of
the county of Worcester, 3½ miles (N. N. W.) from
Moreton-in-the-Marsh; containing 193 inhabitants.
DRAYCOTT-IN-THE-CLAY, a township, in the
parish of Hanbury, union of Uttoxeter, N. division
of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from Uttoxeter; containing 431 inhabitants. The manor was included in the
Conqueror's gift to Henry de Ferrers, and has for many
ages been possessed by the noble family of Vernon.
The village, which is scattered, lies on the Lichfield and
Sudbury road, one mile west-by-north, of Hanbury.
The tithes of the township, with those of Stubby-Lane
and Moreton, have been commuted for £48 payable to
the vicar, and £160 to the Bishop of Lichfield. In a
meadow beyond Draycott mill are the ruins of an ancient
mansion, surrounded by a moat.
DRAYCOTT-MOOR, a hamlet, in the parish of
Longworth, union of Abingdon, hundred of Ock,
county of Berks, 7½ miles (E. by N.) from Farringdon;
containing 238 inhabitants.
DRAYTON, a parish, in the union of Abingdon,
hundred of Ock, county of Berks, 2¼ miles (S. W. by S.)
from Abingdon; containing 521 inhabitants. This place
suffered severely from a fire that accidentally occurred
in 1780, when more than thirty houses were destroyed.
The parish comprises 1738 acres, the soil of which is
partly gravel and partly a strong clay; the village is
pleasantly situated, near the Wilts and Berks canal. The
living is annexed to the vicarage of St. Helen's: the
church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
DRAYTON, a township, in the parish of Bringhurst, union of Uppingham, hundred of Gartree,
S. division of the county of Leicester, 2¾ miles (W.)
from Rockingham; containing 148 inhabitants. Here
was formerly a chapel, dedicated to St. James. The
tithes were commuted for land and a money payment
in 1804. George Fox, founder of the Society of Friends,
was born at this place in 1624.
Drayton (St. Margaret)
DRAYTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union
of St. Faith, hundred of Taverham, E. division of
Norfolk, 4½ miles (N. W.) from Norwich; containing
372 inhabitants. The parish is traversed by the Fakenham road, and comprises 1292 acres. In the village,
which is pleasantly situated in the vale of Wensum, are
the remains of an ancient cross, that had an inscription in
French, offering pardon to all who would pray for the
souls of William de Bellemont and Joan his wife. A
place called "Blood's Dale," is said to have been the
scene of a battle in Saxon times. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Hellesdon united, valued
in the king's books at £6. 2. 9., and in the gift of the
Bishop of Norwich: the tithes of Drayton have been
commuted for £253, and the glebe contains 18 acres.
The church is an ancient structure in the early English
style, with a square embattled tower. At the inclosure,
in 1813, 50 acres of land were allotted to the poor for
DRAYTON, a hamlet, in the parish and union of
Daventry, hundred of Fawsley, county of Northampton, ¾ of a mile (N. W. by W.) from Daventry;
containing 388 inhabitants. A Roman pavement was
discovered near this place in 1736.
Drayton (St. Peter)
DRAYTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Banbury, hundred of Bloxham, county of Oxford,
2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Banbury; containing 206
inhabitants. It comprises 856a. 1r. 32p.: the soil is a
light loam of reddish colour, and the surface is hilly.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£12. 16. 0½.; net income, £316; patron, Earl Delawarr. The tithes were commuted for land and cornrents in 1801. The church, which has been renovated,
is pleasantly situated in the vicinity of the well-wooded
park of the Ladies North, at Wroxton; near the north
door is an ancient stone coffin, on which are sculptured
three stars entwined with tendrils and foliage.
Drayton (St. Leonard)
DRAYTON (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union
of Abingdon, hundred of Dorchester, county of Oxford, 5 miles (N.) from Wallingford; containing 327
inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the
gift of the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford,
whose tithes here have been commuted for £325; a
payment of £16. 5. is made to certain impropriators.
Drayton (St. Catherine)
DRAYTON (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union
of Langport, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, W.
division of Somerset, 2 miles (S. W.) from Langport;
containing, with the tything of Middleney, 469 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Parret, and
comprises by measurement 2201 acres: there are quarries of stone for building and for burning into lime.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £97;
patron and impropriator, R. T. Combe, Esq., as lessee
of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, whose tithes have
been commuted for £330: there are nearly six acres of
glebe. The church has an embattled tower at the west
end, and a fine south porch of Norman architecture.
DRAYTON, a tything, in the parish and hundred of
Barton-Stacey, union of Andover, Andover and N.
divisions of the county of Southampton; containing
DRAYTON, a township, in the parish and union of
Penkridge, E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 1¼ mile
(N. by E.) from Penkridge. This is a hamlet and manor
of 700 acres, situated on the west side of the river Penk.
The road from Penkridge to Stafford passes through.
DRAYTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Old Stratford, union of Stratford, Stratford division of the
hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of
Warwick, 2¼ miles (W.) from Stratford; containing 20
Drayton-Bassett (St. Peter)
DRAYTON-BASSETT (St. Peter), a parish, in the
union of Tamworth, S. division of the hundred of
Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 2¾ miles (S. S.
W.) from Tamworth; containing 404 inhabitants. The
parish is bounded on the east by the river Tame, and
comprises 3189a. 1r. 28p. of land, in about equal portions of arable and pasture. The Birmingham and
Fazeley canal passes on the east, and the Birmingham
and Derby railway has a station at Wilnecote, about
two miles distant. A mill is worked for spinning cottonyarn, and making tapes and laces. The manor formerly
belonged to the Weymouth family, but is now held by
Sir Robert Peel, Bart., who is proprietor of two-thirds of
the parish, the remaining third being the property of
Sir Francis Lawley, Bart. A splendid mansion, in the
Elizabethan style, has been erected by Sir Robert Peel,
who had the honour of entertaining Her present Majesty,
the Dowager Queen, Prince Albert, and the court,
within its walls, from the 28th of November to the 1st
of December 1843: a magnificent portrait gallery, attached to the south-east angle of the mansion, was completed in 1846. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £7. 8. 4., and in the patronage of the
Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £209. 12. 6.,
and the glebe consists of 25 acres, with a glebe-house.
The church is a modern edifice, with an ancient tower.
Drayton-Beauchamp (St. Mary)
DRAYTON-BEAUCHAMP (St. Mary), a parish, in
the union of Aylesbury, hundred of Cottesloe, county
of Buckingham, 2 miles (W. by N.) from Tring; containing 231 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £11. 9. 7., and in the patronage
of W. Jenney, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for
£304. 15., and the glebe comprises 28 acres.
Drayton, Dry (St. Peter and St. Paul)
DRAYTON, DRY (St. Peter and St. Paul), a
parish, in the union and hundred of Chesterton,
county of Cambridge, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Cambridge; containing 478 inhabitants. It comprises by
measurement 2389 acres, nearly all arable; the soil is
generally a strong clay. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £21. 1. 3.; net income, £320;
patron, the Rev. Dr. Smith. The tithes were commuted
for land and a money payment in 1809. A school has
an endowment of about £7. 17. per annum
Drayton, East (St. Peter)
DRAYTON, EAST (St. Peter), a parish, in the union
of East Retford, South-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (N. E.) from Tuxford; containing
212 inhabitants, and comprising 1520 acres. The living
is a vicarage, with the livings of Askham and Stokeham
annexed, valued in the king's books at £9. 3. 4.; net
income, £165; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and
Chapter of York.
Drayton, Fen (St. Mary)
DRAYTON, FEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of St. Ives, hundred of Papworth, county of Cambridge, 3¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from St. Ives; containing 381 inhabitants. The living is a rectory; net income
£100; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Christ's
College, Cambridge, whose tithes here have been commuted for £426, and whose glebe contains 42½ acres. In
1838, an act was passed for inclosing the common.
Drayton, Fenny (St. Michael)
DRAYTON, FENNY (St. Michael), a parish, in
the union of Atherstone, hundred of Sparkenhoe,
S. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles (W. N.
W.) from Hinckley; containing 127 inhabitants. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£11. 1. 5½.; net income, £278; patron and incumbent,
the Rev. Samued Bracebridge Heming.
Drayton-in-Hales, or Market-Drayton (St. Mary)
DRAYTON-IN-HALES, or Market-Drayton (St.
Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a
union, chiefly in the Drayton division of the hundred of
North Bradford, N. division of the county of Salop,
but partly in the N. division of the hundred of Pirehill
and of the county of Stafford; comprising the townships of Betton, Drayton Magna and Parva, Longslow,
Sutton, and Woodeaves, in Salop; and Almington, and
Bloore-in-Tyrley with Hales, in Stafford; the whole
containing 4680 inhabitants, of whom 1699 are in Drayton Magna, and 1462 in Drayton Parva, 19¼ miles (N.
E. by N.) from Shrewsbury, and 159½ (N. W. by N.) from
London. Nennius endeavours to identify this place with
the Caer Draithon of the Britons, enumerating it as one
of the principal cities belonging to that people; and the
correctness of his opinion has not been arraigned by any
succeeding writer. It is evident from the discovery of the
foundations of several houses in the adjoining fields, that
the town anciently occupied a more extended site than it
does at present. In the record of Domesday it is mentioned by the name Draitune. The manor was successively in the possession of the abbot of St. Ebrulph, in
Normandy, and the abbot of Combermere, in Cheshire;
the latter, in 1246, received the grant of a market to be
held at Drayton on Wednesday, and a fair on the eve, day,
and morrow of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary. During
the parliamentary war, the neighbourhood was the scene
of a skirmish, on the 25th of Jan., 1643, when Prince
Rupert routed the enemy, who were commanded by Sir
The town stands on the north-western bank of the
river Tern; it is clean, and moderately well paved,
and the houses present a neat appearance. There are
manufactories for paper, and for hair-cloth for chair
bottoms, and some business is done in malting; but the
trade, which was once very considerable, has declined
in consequence of the construction of the Grand Trunk
canal. The market is on Wednesday. There are fairs
for horned-cattle, horses, sheep, pigs, and hempen and
woollen cloth, on the Wednesday before Palm-Sunday,
Wednesday before June 22nd, on Sept. 19th, and
Oct. 24th; and fairs have been lately established, which
are held on the last Wednesday in November, and the
first Wednesday in February, May, and August. The
petty-sessions for the Drayton division of the hundred
are held here: the powers of the county debt-court of
Drayton, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Drayton. The parish comprises 7741
acres of arable and pasture land, the soil of which is
rich and fertile; the vicinity abounds with interesting
objects. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £12. 10. 7½., and in the gift of the Trustees of
Sir C. Corbet, the impropriators: the great tithes have
been commuted for £1305. 19. 10., and the vicarial for
£279. 19. 6.; the glebe comprises about one acre. The
church was built, with the exception probably of the
steeple, in the reign of Stephen, and consists of a nave,
aisles, chancel, and square tower supported by buttresses
and adorned with battlements and pinnacles: the whole
of the building, except the tower, was thoroughly repaired in 1787. In 1846-7 a church was erected in Little
Drayton; it is in the lancet style, with a tower, and will
accommodate 600 persons, on the ground floor. There
are places of worship for Particular Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans. A free grammar school was
founded in 1554, and endowed with a rent-charge of
£22 by Sir Rowland Hill, and £10 per annum by Sir
Thomas and Lady Lake. The Rev. Richard Price in
1730 left property now producing upwards of £40 per
annum, for teaching children, and other purposes; and
John Bill bequeathed £240, for teaching and apprenticing
boys. There are various other benefactions for apprenticing poor children, (among which is one by Elizabeth
Watenhall, producing £38. 18. per annum,) and for
other charitable purposes, amounting in the whole to
about £200 per annum. The union of Drayton comprises 11 parishes or places, and parts of 2 others, 10
being situated in the county of Salop, 2 in that of Stafford, and 1 in that of Chester; and the union contains
a population of 13,950.
Drayton-Parslow (Holy Trinity)
DRAYTON-PARSLOW (Holy Trinity), a parish,
in the union of Winslow, hundred of Cottesloe,
county of Buckingham, 5¼ miles (E. by N.) from Winslow; containing 526 inhabitants. It comprises 1681a.
1r. 28p.: the Birmingham railroad passes within about
2½ miles. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £12; net income, £248; patron, the Rev.
Samuel Wright. The tithes were commuted for land
and a money payment in 1797; the glebe contains 350
acres, and there is a commodious and excellent glebehouse, lately put into complete repair.
Drayton, West (St. Martin)
DRAYTON, WEST (St. Martin), a parish, in the
union of Uxbridge, hundred of Elthorne, county of
Middlesex, 3¼ miles (N. E.) from Colnbrook; containing 802 inhabitants. The Grand Junction canal
passes through the parish; and here is a station of the
Great Western railway, which passes a short distance
to the north of the church. The living is a discharged
vicarage, united to that of Harmondsworth, and valued
in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1824. The
church has an embattled tower at the west end, and
contains a font curiously sculptured in compartments.
DRAYTON, WEST, a chapelry, in the parish of
East Markham, union of East Retford, South-Clay
division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of
the county of Nottingham, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from
Tuxford; containing 109 inhabitants, and comprising 612
acres. Henry Walter, in 1688, bequeathed a rent-charge
of £25 towards the maintenance of a schoolmaster.