Gargrave (St. Andrew)
GARGRAVE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union
of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York; containing
1761 inhabitants, of whom 1176 are in the township of
Gargrave, 4½ miles (W. N. W.) from Skipton. The parish comprises 11,570 acres, of which 3490 are in the
township; 10,427 are meadow and pasture, 483 woodland, 201 arable, and 276 common. The population is
partly employed in a large worsted and cotton mill.
The scenery is picturesque, and the village is pleasantly
situated on the river Aire, over which is a bridge of
three arches: the Leeds and Liverpool canal passes
near. A fair for cattle, numerously attended, takes
place on the 11th of December. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 13. 11½.; net
income, £750; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Anthony
Marsden; impropriators, the Master and Fellows of
Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and J. N. Coulthurst and
N. Wilson, Esqrs. The church is a handsome structure,
principally in the later English style, with a square embattled tower. At Cold Coniston is a second incumbency. There are places of worship for Primitive and
Wesleyan Methodists. The poor have some land yielding £55 a year, the produce of various benefactions.
Here are a Roman pavement and an encampment.
GARMONDSWAY-MOOR, a township, in the parish of Bishop's-Middleham, union of Sedgefield,
N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the
county of Durham, 6¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Durham;
containing 157 inhabitants. This place is said to have
derived its name from Garmundus the Dane; and the
ancient Via Garmundi, along which King Canute travelled barefooted to the shrine of St. Cuthbert, at Durham, passed through it. The township is the property
of Sherburn Hospital, and is situated north of the road
leading from Trimdon to Cornforth: the produce of a
colliery here is shipped at Hartlepool. The height of
Garmondsway-Moor, which commands most extensive
views, is a mile to the north-east of Middleham.
GARRIGILL, a chapelry, in the parish and union of
Alston, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 3
miles (E. S. E.) from Alston-Moor; containing 1474 inhabitants. Here are mines belonging to the London
Lead Company, which afford employment to many of
the inhabitants; and fairs for cattle and sheep are held
on the third Friday in May, and the first Friday in September. The chapel was erected in the last century.
The Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans
have places of worship.
GARRISON-SIDE, an extra-parochial liberty, locally in the county of the town of Hull, E. riding of
the county of York; containing 160 inhabitants.
GARRISTON, a township, in the parish of Haukswell, union of Leyburn, wapentake of Hang-West,
N. riding of York, 4¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Middleham;
containing 54 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 660 acres of land, set out in farms.
GARSDALE, a chapelry, in the parish and union of
Sedbergh, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 6 miles (E.)
from Sedbergh; containing 681 inhabitants. It comprises 8599 acres, of which only 20 are arable, and 200
woodland; about 5000 acres are mountain moor, rising
on each side of the dale. Some coal-mines are in operation, employing about 40 hands; and there are quarries
of marble, a grey fossil of superior quality, but not at
present worked. The river Clough, which has its source
on Baugh fell, runs through the valley, and falls into the
Rothay or Rathay, a little above Sedbergh. The living
is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £4 yearly by Edward VI. in 1552, and in the patronage of the Crown,
with a present net income of £77: the tithes have been
commuted for £51. 19. 6. payable to Trinity College,
Cambridge, and £6. 19. 9. to the vicar, who has a glebe
of 16 acres. The chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a small ancient building. There are places of
worship for Independents, Methodists, and the Society
of Friends; and a school partly supported by an endowment of £9 per annum. A former monastic cell, belonging to Coverham Abbey, near Middleham, is now
a farmhouse. On a hill which separates Dent from
Garsdale, is a fine chalybeate spring.
Garsdon (All Saints)
GARSDON (All Saints), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Malmesbury, Malmesbury and Kingswood, and N. divisions of Wilts, 2 miles (E. by N.)
from Malmesbury; containing 215 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1140 acres, of which 250 are
arable, 858 meadow and pasture, and 14 wood; the soil
is chiefly clay, with a small portion of sand. The living
is a rectory, with the living of Lea annexed, valued in
the king's books at £10. 9. 9½., and in the gift of J.
Neeld, Esq. The tithes of the parish have been commuted for £165, and the glebe comprises 14 acres.
The church is an ancient structure in the early English
Garsington (St. Mary)
GARSINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Headington, hundred of Bullington, county of
Oxford, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Oxford; containing
591 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, annexed to the
Headship of Trinity College, Oxford, and valued in the
king's books at £14. 19. 9½.: the tithes have been
commuted for £680, and the glebe comprises 23 acres.
The church, an ancient and venerable structure, contains
some handsome monuments to the family of Wickham.
Sir Thomas Pope, who annexed the manor to Trinity
College, which he had founded, commenced the erection
of a house of retreat here for the students in time of
pestilence, which was completed at a subsequent period,
and displays some good specimens in the later English
Garstang (St. Helen)
GARSTANG (St. Helen),
a market-town and parish,
and the head of a union, in
the hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the
county of Lancaster; comprising the townships of
Barnacre with Bonds, Billisborrow, Cabus, Catterall,
Claughton, Cleveley, Forton,
Garstang, Holleth, Kirkland, Nateby, Pilling, Winmarleigh, and Nether Wyersdale; and containing 7659 inhabitants, of whom 909
are in the town, 11 miles (S. by E.) from Lancaster,
11 (N. by W.) from Preston, and 229 (N. W. by N.) from
London. During the parliamentary war, this parish was
the scene of some slight military operations; the castle
of Greenhalgh, the ruins of which are in the adjoining
hamlet of Bonds, was held for the king, by the Earl of
Derby, in 1643. When the Scottish adherents to the
Pretender made their incursion into England, in 1715,
they halted at Garstang, before taking possession of
Preston; and in the following year, some of the rebels
were executed at this place. The town is situated on
the river Wyre, upon the road between Preston and Lancaster. The more ancient part consists of houses indifferently built, and streets irregularly formed; but great
improvements have lately been introduced, and the
streets are now well paved, the town is lighted, and a
few houses of respectability have been added. The
scenery in the vicinity is beautiful. There are several
cotton-mills and a worsted-mill. The market is on
Thursday; a market for cattle is held every alternate
Thursday between the first Thursday in Lent and HolyThursday; and fairs take place on Holy-Thursday,
July 10th, and November 22nd. The Lancaster canal
crosses the river by a handsome aqueduct, near the end
of the principal street; and the Lancaster and Preston
railway has a station at Barnacre, two miles distant
from the town. The inhabitants were incorporated by
a charter bestowed in 1314, but this was superseded by
a new one granted by Charles II., in 1680, with additional privileges, by which the government was vested
in a bailiff and seven capital burgesses, elected on the
29th of September; the freedom is obtained by birth,
or by apprenticeship to a freeman: the borough is coextensive with the township. The powers of the county
debt-court of Garstang, established in 1847, extend over
the greater part of the registration-district of Garstang.
The town-hall, situated in the market-place, was built
principally at the expense of the corporation, in 1755, on
the site of the former edifice: the petty-sessions for the
hundred of Amounderness are held at the Royal Oak
inn, every alternate Thursday.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £14. 3. 4.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. James
Pedder; impropriators, the families of Pedder and Standish: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £480.
The church is a stately structure, about two miles from
the town, in that part of the parish called Garstang
Church-Town, in the township of Kirkland: having
been injured by the overflowing of the Wyre, near which
it stands, it was repaired in 1746, and again in 1811 at
an expense of £1200, defrayed jointly by the parishioners
and T. Strickland Standish, Esq. There is a chapel
within the town, the living of which is a perpetual
curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar; net income, £150,
with a parsonage-house. At Pilling is a third incumbency. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Roman
Catholics have each a place of worship. A grammar
school was built about the year 1757; and a Church of
England school for boys and girls was erected in 1845,
by subscription, aided by the National Society and the
Privy Council: there is a school for Roman Catholics,
endowed with £40 per annum. The poor law union of
Garstang comprises 23 parishes or places, containing
about 13,000 inhabitants.
GARSTON, a township and chapelry, in the parish
of Childwall, union and hundred of West Derby, S.
division of Lancashire, 5 miles (S. E.) from Liverpool;
the township containing, with Aigburth, in 1846, 2436
inhabitants. At a very early period this place gave name
to a local family, of whom Adam de Gerstan died in
1265; the Blackburnes, Irelands, Norrises, and Beauclerks subsequently possessed the property, which more
recently came, by marriage, to the family of Hawkes.
The township, which is beautifully situated on the Mersey, abounds with gentlemen's seats and villas, and commands fine views of the Cheshire hills and Welsh mountains. On the banks of the river are extensive works
for refining salt; and at Otterspool is a rivulet flowing
into the Mersey, near which is an oil-mill. An act was
passed in 1846 to enable the St. Helen's Canal and Railway Company to make docks here, and construct a
railway to Garston, nearly 7½ miles in length. Among
the residences, is Grassendale House, with 20 acres of
land, the property of George Hargreaves, Esq., who is
also owner of Beach Lawn, occupied by W. J. Marrow,
Esq.; and at Grassendale is the villa of J. Grant Morris,
Esq. The living is a donative, made into an independent benefice in the 1st of George II., and paying no
fees to Childwall; net income, £138, with a house;
patron, Richard Watt, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £160 payable to the Bishop of Chester's
lessee, £35 to the vicar of the parish, and £5 to the
minister of the chapelry. A neat place of worship for
Wesleyans has been built at the expense of George
Heald, Esq., of Garston Lodge, a handsome residence
standing in its own grounds. There is also a national
Garston, East, or Argastone (All Saints)
GARSTON, EAST, or Argastone (All Saints), a
parish, in the union of Hungerford, partly in the hundreds of Wantage and Moreton, but chiefly in that of
Lambourn, county of Berks, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from
Lambourn; containing 662 inhabitants. The parish
comprises 4335a. 3r. 11p., of which 212 acres are waste
land or common; the surface is pleasing, and in some
parts richly embellished with wood. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.,
and in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church,
Oxford: the impropriate tithes, held on lease by Sir R.
Burdett, Bart., have been commuted for £631, and the
vicarial for £265. 16. 6.; the impropriate glebe comprises 134 acres.
GARTHORP, a township, in the parish of Luddington, union of Goole, W. division of the wapentake of
Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 13 miles
(W. by S.) from Barton-on-Humber; containing 471
inhabitants. The tithes were commuted for land and a
money payment in 1796.
Garthorpe (St. Mary)
GARTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division
of the county of Leicester, 5¾ miles (E. N. E.) from
Melton-Mowbray; containing 135 inhabitants. This
parish, which is watered by the small river Eye, comprises by measurement 1725 acres. The surface is uneven, but the hills are of very inconsiderable elevation;
the soil is various, with some good corn and grazing
lands. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £7. 5. 2., and in the gift of the Tollemache family: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £230, and the vicarial for £150.
Garton (St. Michael)
GARTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Skirlaugh, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York; containing 226 inhabitants, of whom 179 are in the township of Garton, 9 miles
(N. E.) from Hedon. The family of Grimston have been
seated here since the time of William I., when their ancestor Sylvester de Grimston had a grant of land from
the king to be held of the honour of Roos. The parish
includes a third part of the township of Owstwick, of
which the other two-thirds are in the parish of Roos;
and comprises 1799a. 14p., whereof about one-third are
pasture, 84 acres woodland, and the remainder arable.
The soil is various, but chiefly a strong clay: the scenery
in some places is picturesque, and embellished with
wood, and in others boldly romantic; the coast of the
German Ocean on the east presents tall cliffs of rugged
aspect. The old manor-house, called the Blue Hall, has
been modernised, but some of the rooms are panelled,
and indicative of ancient respectability. The mansion
of Grimston Garth is spacious, and of somewhat singular
construction; it occupies a very conspicuous site, and
commands an extensive prospect. The village, which is
neat, is situated at the distance of a mile from the cliffs.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £6. 1. 0½., and in the patronage of the Crown,
with a net income of £97. The church is a good structure, with a low tower; adjoining it on the north, is a
mausoleum belonging to the Grimston family, built
about twenty years since. There is a place of worship
Garton-upon-the-Wolds (St. Michael)
GARTON-upon-the-Wolds (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Driffield, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Driffield; containing 563 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 4050 acres, chiefly arable, and
partly the property of Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart.; the soil
is various. The village is neatly built, and the surrounding scenery is pleasingly enriched with wood. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £5. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown;
impropriator, Sir T. Sykes; net income, £125: the tithes
were commuted for land in 1774. The church is an
ancient edifice, with portions of modern date, and retains some interesting details of Norman character.
There is a place of worship for dissenters.
Garvestone (St. Margaret)
GARVESTONE (St. Margaret), a parish, in the
union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Mitford, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from
East Dereham, on the road to Hingham; containing
386 inhabitants. It comprises 802a. 31p., of which
594 acres are arable, and 193 pasture. The living is a
discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 16.,
and in the gift of the Rev. F. E. J. Valpy: the tithes
have been commuted for £240, and the glebe comprises
12 acres. The church is in the early and later English
styles, with a square embattled tower, and contains considerable remains of stained glass.
Garway (St. Michael)
GARWAY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Monmouth, Lower division of the hundred of Wormelow, county of Hereford, 7 miles (N. W.) from Monmouth; containing 574 inhabitants. The parish is
situated on the left bank of the river Munnow, which
separates the county from that of Monmouth; it comprises 3582 acres, whereof 249 are waste land or common, chiefly the portion forming Garway Hill. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £81; patron,
W. R. Jenkins, Esq.; impropriator, Lord Southwell,
whose tithes have been commuted for £230. The
church is a small edifice, the nave of which is separated
from the chancel by a fine Norman arch, supported by
several pillars in the same style: the belfry tower was
used as a prison during the great rebellion. Near the
church was a commandery of the knights of St. John of
Jerusalem, originally belonging to the Knights Templars:
the dove cote, a curious circular tower with a crypt roof,
is the only portion of the building remaining. About
half a mile north of the church was a chapel, dedicated
to St. Mary Magdalene; but no remains now exist.
GARWICK, a hamlet, in the parish of Heckington,
poor law union of Sleaford, wapentake of Aswardhurn, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln; containing 31 inhabitants.
Gasper, or Brook
GASPER, or Brook, a tything, in the parish of
Stourton, union of Wincanton, hundred of NortonFerris, E. division of Somerset; containing 288 inhabitants. It is situated in the most eastern part of
the union, upon the borders of the county of Wilts, in
which the remainder of the parish is included.
Gasthorpe (St. Nicholas)
GASTHORPE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Guilt-Cross, W. division of Norfolk, 4½ miles (S.) from East Harling; containing 111
inhabitants. The parish is bounded by the river Ouse,
which separates it from the county of Suffolk; it comprises by measurement 864 acres, the greater part arable.
The living is a rectory not in charge, united to that
of Riddlesworth: the tithes have been commuted for
£118, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church is
Gatcomb (St. Olave)
GATCOMB (St. Olave), a parish, in the liberty of
West Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of
Southampton, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Newport; containing 306 inhabitants. The parish comprises much
pleasingly diversified scenery, and from various points
are interesting views: stone of excellent quality for
building is quarried. Gatcomb Park, the seat of a
branch of the ancient family of Worsley, of Appuldurcombe, originally of Worsley, in the county of Lancaster,
is a handsome residence. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £25. 18. 9., and in the patronage
of the University of Oxford, in trust for the principal of
St. Edmund's Hall; net income, £646. The church has
a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, and
contains a figure carved in wood, supposed to be the
effigy of its ancient patroness.
GATEACRE, a hamlet, in the township of Little
Woolton, parish of Childwall, union of Prescot,
hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 6
miles (E. by S.) from Liverpool. This place is beautifully situated in a well-wooded vale, and is adorned with
several gentlemen's residences. Belle Vale is the seat of
James Mulleneaux, Esq.; Woodlands, the property of
John Holden, Esq.; and Kendal Cottage, the residence
of Thomas Rodick, Esq. In the village is a Unitarian
place of worship, built in 1698, which has an endowment of 20 acres of land, with a house for the minister.
The Rev. William Shepherd, LL.D., author of the Life
of Poggio Bracciolini, and other works, was minister
here from 1793 to his death in 1847: the accomplished
William Roscoe attended the chapel. An infant school
here is connected with the parish church.
Gate-Burton.—See Burton, Gate.
GATE-BURTON.—See Burton, Gate.
GATEFORD, a township, in the parish and union of
Worksop, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham;
containing 130 inhabitants.
GATEFORTH, a township, in the parish of Brayton, union of Selby, Lower division of the wapentake
of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 5 miles (S. W.
by W.) from Selby; containing 258 inhabitants. The
township comprises about 1400 acres of land, of which
the soil is sandy. Gateforth House, the seat of Miss
Theodosia Brooke, is a spacious and elegant mansion,
with fine pleasure-grounds attached. The living is a
perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Miss Brooke, by
whose father the chapel, a neat edifice, was erected at
an expense of £4000, and endowed with £120 per
annum; there is a handsome parsonage-house, with
three acres of land, lately presented by Miss Brooke.
Gateley (St. Helen)
GATELEY (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of
Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W.
division of Norfolk, 5½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Fakenkam; containing 129 inhabitants, and comprising
1490a. 27p. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Brisley, and valued in the king's
books at £3. 2. 8½. The great tithes, belonging to
Christ's College, Cambridge, have been commuted for
£203, and the vicarial for £142; there is a glebe of 27
acres. The church is in the early and decorated English styles, with a square embattled tower.
GATENBY, a township, in the parish of Burneston,
union of Bedale, wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding
of York, 4¾ miles (E.) from Bedale; containing 69 inhabitants. It comprises 849a. 15p. of land, partly the
property of the Duke of Cleveland: its small and scattered hamlet is situated on an eminence, on the west
side of Swaledale. The impropriate tithes have been
commuted for £85. 14., and the vicarial for £49.