HIGHLAWS, a township, in the parish of Hartburn, union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth
ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9½ miles
(W. by S.) from Morpeth; containing 16 inhabitants.
In the 17th century this place was the residence of the
family of Aynsley. The township is bounded on the
south by the Bolam march, and on the north by the
Wansbeck; and comprises 295 acres. It pays a rentcharge of £26 to the vicar of Hartburn.
Highley (St. Mary)
HIGHLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Cleobury-Mortimer, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 7 miles (S. by E.) from Bridgnorth;
containing 360 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £5. 19. 2.; patron, J.
Perry, Esq.; impropriators, Messrs. Fenn, Jordin, and
Hazlewood. The great tithes have been commuted for
£109. 11., and the vicarial for £115. 10.; the glebe comprises 89 acres.
HIGHLOW, a lordship, in the parish of Hope, union
of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of
the county of Derby, 3½ miles (N. by W.) from StonyMiddleton; containing 45 inhabitants.
HIGHNAM, a hamlet, in the parish of Churcham,
union of Westbury-on-Severn, Lower division of the
hundred of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union, and
E. division of the county, of Gloucester, 2¼ miles
(N. W. by W.) from the city of Gloucester; containing
Hightleigh, or Highley, St. Mary
HIGHTLEIGH, or HIGHLEY, ST. MARY, an
extra-parochial place, adjacent to the parish of Oakford, in the union of Tiverton, Cullompton and N.
divisions of Devon; containing 24 inhabitants, and comprising 400 acres of land.
Highway (St. Peter)
HIGHWAY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Calne, hundred of Potterne and Cannings, though
locally in the hundred of Calne, Chippenham and Calne,
and N. divisions of Wilts, 4½ miles (N. E.) from Calne;
containing 147 inhabitants. It comprises 813 acres,
of which 58 are common. The living is annexed to the
vicarage of Bremhill: the tithes have been commuted for
£165, and the glebe comprises 20 acres.
Highweek (All Saints)
HIGHWEEK (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Teignbridge, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 1 mile (N. by W.)
from Newton-Abbott; containing 1303 inhabitants.
The parish comprises 2167 acres, of which 63 are common or waste land. The living is a perpetual curacy,
annexed to the vicarage of King's Teignton: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £132. 10.; and
the vicarial for £245, with a glebe of 9 acres.
Highworth (St. Michael)
HIGHWORTH (St. Michael), a market-town and
parish, in the union of Highworth and Swindon, hundred of Highworth, Cricklade, and Staple, Swindon and N. divisions of Wilts; containing, with the
chapelries of Broad Blunsdon, South Marston, and Sevenhampton, and the tythings of Bury-Blunsdon, Eastrop, Fresdon, and Westrop, 3939 inhabitants, of whom
891 are in the town, 48 miles (N. by E.) from Salisbury,
and 77 (W. by N.) from London. The name is expressive of the elevated situation of the place, and the extensive prospects which it commands. At the time of the
Norman survey this was part of the royal demesne. The
chief historical event connected with the town occurred
during the civil war, on the 27th of June, 1645, when
Major Hen, the governor of a royal garrison here, who
had fortified the church, was summoned to surrender by
the parliamentary troops, who, on their way to Taunton,
had drawn up before it: after a short resistance he
yielded, and the besiegers took 70 prisoners, with arms,
and a considerable booty. The mark of a cannon-ball,
which did much damage to the building, is still discernible. In the following month a skirmish took place
here, in which great slaughter appears to have ensued on
both sides; for on sinking a fence in a field west of the
church, a few years since, a vast number of skeletons in
high preservation was discovered, imbedded in the sand,
at the depth of five feet. The Town is situated between
the Thames and Severn canal, which passes about four
miles to the north, and the Wilts and Berks canal,
about the same distance towards the south: the Great
Western railway also passes on the south. The houses
in general are built of stone; the streets are partially
paved, and the inhabitants are well supplied with water
from springs. There is a small subscription library.
The market is on Wednesday; and fairs are held on
August 13th (Old Lammas-day), for horses, cattle, and
sheep, and October 11th, a statute-fair for hiring servants. The town is under the jurisdiction of the county
magistrates, who meet weekly at Swindon. A bailiff is
appointed annually at the court held by the steward for
the "manor of the borough of Highworth;" but his office
is only to collect quit-rents. At this court, also, constables are selected for the town; and the day following,
a court for the hundred is usually held by the steward
for the manor, when the constables and tything-men for
the different parishes and places in the hundred are
chosen. He likewise holds, once in three weeks, a court
of pleas, or court baron, for the manor or borough, and
ancient hundred of Highworth; it is supposed to have
been established by charter of Edward I., and debts
under 40s. are recoverable in it. The town probably sent
members to parliament at a very early period; a writ
was addressed to the bailiffs in the 26th of Edward I.,
to which no return was made, nor does it appear that
the elective franchise was ever afterwards exercised,
though writs continued to be sent to the bailiffs until
the 24th of Edward IV. The £10 householders now
vote in the return of members for the borough of Cricklade.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £44. 8. 4.; patron, the Prebendary of Highworth in
the Cathedral of Sarum: the great tithes have been
commuted for £1150, and the vicarial for £430; the
impropriate glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is
an ancient building, erected in the reign of Henry VI.,
with a tower at the west end, which, as well as the
other parts of the church, is surmounted by an open
parapet; on the south side is a chantry, or monumental
chapel, hung round with pieces of armour. There are
chapels at Broad Blunsdon, South Marston, and Sevenhampton; and a place of worship for Independents.
A national school was erected in 1835; and there are
several donations for apprenticing boys, and other purposes, the principal of which is Baston's charity, producing about £50 per annum. The poor-law union of
Highworth and Swindon comprises 16 parishes or places,
of which 15 are in the county of Wilts, and one in that
of Berks; and contains a population of 15,559.
HILARY, ST., a parish, in the union of Penzance,
hundred of Penwith, W. division of Cornwall; containing 3649 inhabitants, of whom 1683 are in the market-town of Marazion. The parish is situated on the
coast of Mount's Bay, and comprises 2675 acres, of
which 900 are common or waste land; it abounds with
mineral wealth, and the copper-mines of Marazion and
Retallack are both within its limits. The living is a
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 6. 0½.;
net income, £311; patrons, the Duke of Leeds, and the
families of Buller, Beard, and Pascoe; impropriators,
the landowners. The church is on the highest ground
in the parish, and its whitewashed spire forms a conspicuous object in the scenery.
HILBECK, a township, in the parish of Brough,
East ward and union, county of Westmorland, ½ a
mile (N. N. E.) from Brough; containing 42 inhabitants. In old records this place is called Hellebeck;
Helle, in Saxon, denoting waterfalls, of which there are
several among the mountains here. In the neighbourhood is a coal-mine, not far from which, on an eminence
commanding an extensive view, is a building named
Hilborough (All Saints)
HILBOROUGH (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Swaffham, hundred of South Greenhoe, W. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (S.) from Swaffham; containing 337 inhabitants, and consisting of about 2800 acres.
Hilborough Hall is a handsome mansion of white brick,
finely situated in a richly-wooded park. The living is
a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£13. 6. 8.; net income, £390; patron and incumbent,
the Rev. John Dolignon, who has erected a glebe-house,
and whose glebe comprises 56 acres. The church is
built of flints, and has a strong square tower with freestone quoins, embattled, and crowned by crocketed
pinnacles; it contains some sedilia of stone, and a
double piscina of elegant design. At the north-western
extremity of the village are the remains of a chapel
dedicated to St. Margaret, founded by Sir John de
Kailli and lady, in the reign of John, and called the
Pilgrims' Chapel, probably from being visited by pilgrims
on their way to Walsingham; it was richly endowed,
and included among its possessions 100 acres of land
in the parish.
HILBREE, a small island, on the coast of Chester,
near the mouth of the river Dee, 3 miles (W. N. W.)
from West Kirby; containing 19 inhabitants. This is
the largest of a group of islands, the rest of which are
uninhabited; it formerly belonged to Chester cathedral,
but is now connected with the county of Lancaster,
having been purchased by the corporation of Liverpool.
Hilbree is remarkable for having had one of the most
ancient lights or beacons on the coast, to the support of
which, John, the last earl of Chester, contributed ten
shillings annually, in the time of Henry III. Here was
also a cell dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
HILCOTT, a tything, in the parish of North Newnton, union of Pewsey, hundred of Swanborough,
Everley and Pewsey, and N. divisions of Wilts, 3½ miles
(W. by S.) from Pewsey; with 262 inhabitants.
HILDENLEY, a township, in the parish of Appleton-le-Street, union of Malton, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Malton; containing 22 inhabitants. It is situated on the
west of the river Derwent, and comprises by computation 450 acres. Sir George Strickland, Bart., formerly
resided at the Hall, which is now unoccupied.
Hildersham (Holy Trinity)
HILDERSHAM (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the
union of Linton, hundred of Chilford, county of
Cambridge, 1¾ mile (N. W. by N.) from Linton; containing 238 inhabitants. This place formerly belonged
to the De Veres, earls of Oxford, who were lords of the
manor. The parish comprises by computation 1500
acres: the village is pleasantly situated on a small
stream which flows into the river Granta. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 0. 5.;
patron and incumbent, the Rev. Charles Goodwin: the
tithes have been commuted for £407, and the glebe
comprises 67 acres. The church is in the early English
style: the east window is of large dimensions and of
elegant design, and in several of the windows are beautiful remains of stained glass; there are some ancient
monuments, with the effigies in oak of Sir Robert de
Boteller, a knight crusader of the fourteenth century,
and his lady, and some brasses to the Paris family, who
settled here in the reign of Edward III. The Roman
road leading from the station near Cambridge to Colchester bounds the parish. Matthew Paris, the historian,
is supposed to have been born here.
HILDERSTONE, a liberty, in the parish and union
of Stone, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N.
division of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (E. N. E.)
from Stone; containing 501 inhabitants. This district,
which is situated on the road from Leek to Sandon,
comprises about 2000 acres; the scenery is in many
parts pleasingly rural, and in some highly picturesque.
Hilderstone Hall, the seat of the late Ralph Bourne,
Esq., lord of the manor, is a handsome mansion.
Several of the cottagers are employed in the making of
shoes for the manufacturers of Stafford. A church was
erected at the expense of the late Mr. Bourne, and consecrated on the 31st July, 1833: it is a chaste structure
of stone, with a tower surmounted by a graceful spire;
the interior is well arranged, and the east window embellished with a well-executed painting of the Saviour
administering the Elements. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £63; patrons, the Heirs of the
late Mr. Bourne. A rent-charge of £96. 16. has been
awarded as a commutation for the tithes. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans.
HILDERTHORPE, a township, in the parish and
union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E.
riding of York, 1½ mile (S.) from Bridlington; containing, with Wilsthorpe, 116 inhabitants. These two
places together comprise about 600 acres, and are
situated on the coast of the North Sea.
HILFIELD, a chapelry, in the parish of Sydling
St. Nicholas, union of Cerne, hundred of Cerne,
Totcombe, and Modbury, Cerne division of Dorset,
9 miles (S.) from Sherborne; with 147 inhabitants.
Hilgay (All Saints)
HILGAY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Downham, hundred of Clackclose, W. division of
Norfolk, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Downham; containing
1515 inhabitants. The parish comprises 7860a. 2r. 27p.,
of which about 4780 acres are arable, 2511 pasture and
meadow, and 83 woodland. Wood-hall is an ancient
mansion in the Elizabethan style, situated on high ground,
and commanding fine views of the Isle of Ely. The
river Ouse and the road from Lynn to London intersect
the parish; and the navigable river Wissey, over which,
in 1841, an iron bridge of one arch was erected, passes
by the village on the north. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of the
Rev. W. J. Parkes: the tithes have been commuted for
£1600, and the glebe comprises 85 acres, with a house.
The church is a spacious structure, chiefly in the later
English style, with a brick tower built in 1794; in the
southern portion of the church is a handsome monument to Sir J. H. Hawear and his two wives. There
are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. A church estate of 52 acres, with two houses,
lets for £160. 10.; and 14l½ acres, left in 1656 and
1690 to the poor, by Sir John and Sir Cecil Wray, produce £255: the proceeds, also, of 13 acres, amounting
to £20, are applied to instruction. Near the bank of
the Ouse, in the parish, was a small priory of Black
monks, a cell to Ramsey Abbey.
Hill (St. Michael)
HILL (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Thornbury, Lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 3½
miles (N. N. E.) from Thornbury; containing 227 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the Severn, and
comprises 1966a. 8p., of which about 1596 acres are
meadow and pasture, 210 arable, and 130 wood. The
surface of the western portion, extending to the river,
which is here more than two miles wide, is a complete
level, clothed with luxuriant herbage, and studded with
numerous groups of stately trees; the eastern portion
is finely undulated, rising into eminences of considerable
elevation, two of which, immediately above the mansion
of Hill Court, command extensive prospects. The soil
is chiefly a loam, producing abundant crops. Hill Court
is supposed to have been a monastery founded in the
twelfth century; it was for many generations the residence of the family of Fast or Faust, lineal descendants
of the celebrated Dr. Faust, who either introduced or
greatly improved the art of printing. The living is a
donative, exempt from episcopal jurisdiction, in the
patronage of Sir H. Jenner Fust: the tithes have been
commuted for £250; the glebe contains less than one
acre, with a small cottage. The church is a neat plain
structure, forming a wing to the mansion of Hill Court;
it is fitted up with open seats fronted with richlycarved oak, and the ancient practice of placing males
and females on the opposite sides of the church is still
HILL, a township, in the parish of Hales-Owen,
union of Stourbridge, Upper division of the hundred
of Halfshire, Hales-Owen and E. divisions of the
county of Worcester; containing 936 inhabitants.
HILL, a tything, in the parish and union of Bishop'sWaltham, Droxford and N. divisions of the county of
Southampton; containing 277 inhabitants.
HILL, a hamlet, in the parish of LeamingtonHastings, union of Rugby, Southam division of the
hundred of Knightlow, S. division of the county of
Warwick; containing 109 inhabitants.
HILL, a hamlet, in the parish of Sutton-Coldfield, union of Aston, locally in the Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of
the county of Warwick, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Sutton-Coldfield; containing 1355 inhabitants. This place
is situated on the road from Sutton to Lichfield; the
surface is undulated, the soil gravelly, and the scenery
picturesque. A church, dedicated to St. James, was
erected in 1835, at a cost of about £1600, raised by
subscription, aided by a grant from the Incorporated
Society; it is a neat edifice, with a square tower. The
living is in the gift of the Rector. The income of the
incumbent is £40, with the addition of £20 derived
from pew-rents; a glebe-house adjoins the church.
There is a place of worship for dissenters; and two
schools are supported by the corporation of SuttonColdfield.
HILL, with Moor, a township, in the parish of
Fladbury, union of Pershore, Middle division of the
hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of
the county of Worcester, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from
Pershore; containing 334 inhabitants. It comprises
1293 acres, of which two-thirds are arable: the surface
is hilly, but well cultivated; and there are fine prospects
of the surrounding country.