Hoveringham - Hoxton

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

566-569

Citation Show another format:

'Hoveringham - Hoxton', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 566-569. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51050 Date accessed: 16 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Hoveringham (St. Michael)

HOVERINGHAM (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Southwell, Southwell division of the wapentake of Thurgarton and of the county of Nottingham, 5 miles (S.) from Southwell; containing 398 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; income, £60: patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church has a Norman porch.

Hoveton (St. John)

HOVETON (St. John), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 8½ miles (N. E.) from Norwich; containing 317 inhabitants. It comprises 1541 acres, whereof 96 are waste or common; 123 acres form a lake, through which runs the river Bure, which bounds the parish on the south. Hoveton House is a handsome brick mansion with Grecian pilasters, situated in a wellwooded park. The living is a perpetual curacy, united to the vicarage of Hoveton St. Peter: the tithes have been commuted for £327. The church is chiefly in the later English style, and contains some neat memorials to the Blofeld family.

Hoveton (St. Peter)

HOVETON (St. Peter), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 10 miles (N. E. by N.) from Norwich; containing 137 inhabitants. The parish comprises 945 acres, of which 45 are common or waste land. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the living of Hoveton St. John united; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Norwich: the great tithes have been commuted for £220, and the vicarial for £120. The church is a small edifice of brick, erected in 1624, and has several handsome monuments.

Hovingham (All Saints)

HOVINGHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Malton; comprising the township of Scackleton, in the wapentake of Bulmer, and the townships of Aryholme with Howthorpe, Coulton, Fryton, South Holme, Hovingham, East Ness, and Wath, in that of Ryedale, N. riding of York; the whole containing 1277 inhabitants, of whom 681 are in the township of Hovingham, 9 miles (W. N. W.) from Malton. The parish comprises by computation 8000 acres, of which the surface is hilly, and the high grounds command extensive and richly varied prospects reaching along the vale of Ryedale, and terminating to the east in the hills near Scarborough; the lands are chiefly the property of the Earl of Carlisle and Sir Wm. Worsley, Bart. The village is beautifully situated, and the scenery around it richly wooded. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £97; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Carlisle. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A school was endowed with £20 per annum by Mrs. Arthington in 1716, and £200 from the Rev. James Graves in 1804. In a field about one mile from the village are three springs of sulphureous, chalybeate, and clear water, respectively; the medicinal properties of the first have attracted many visiters. In 1745, a Roman hypocaust and bath, with a piece of tessellated pavement, were discovered, and near the bath some coins from Antoninus Pius to Constantine. On the side of an adjoining hill is a breastwork, supposed to be Roman.

Howard, Castle.—See Henderskelf.

HOWARD, CASTLE.—See Henderskelf.

How-Bound

HOW-BOUND, a township, in the parish of CastleSowerby, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 3¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Hesket-Newmarket; containing 242 inhabitants. On the summit of How Hill is an inclosure surrounded by a mound of stone and earth, and crowned with several oaks.

How-Caple (St. Andrew)

HOW-CAPLE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Ross, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Ross; containing 140 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south by the navigable river Wye, and intersected by the road from Ross to Hereford, comprises 1016a. 28p., whereof 726 acres are arable, 166 pasture, 73 woodland, and 38 water and waste. The soil is light, and rather sandy; good wheat, barley, and turnips are produced, and a considerable quantity of cider is made. There are some quarries of stone fit for the roads. The living is a rectory, with that of Sollers-Hope united, valued in the king's books at £9; net income, £344; patron, E. W. W. Pendarves, Esq. The tithes of How-Caple have been commuted for £188, and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The church, situated on an eminence overlooking the Wye, is a plain substantial structure in the later English style, with a tower crowned by pinnacles; the chancel is of earlier date: there are several monuments to the Gregory family.

Howden (St. Peter)

HOWDEN (St. Peter), a parish and market-town, and the head of a union, in the wapentake of Howdenshire, E. riding of York; comprising the chapelries of Barmby-on-the-Marsh and Laxton, and the townships of Asselby, Balkholme, Belby, Cotness, Howden, Kilpin, Knedlington, Metham, Saltmarsh, Skelton, Thorpe, and Yorkfleet; and containing 4680 inhabitants, of whom 2332 are in the town, 21 miles (S. E. by S.) from York, and 184 (N. by W.) from London. This place, which is of considerable antiquity, was distinguished for its collegiate establishment, founded by Robert, Bishop of Durham, in 1266, for Secular clerks, and dedicated to St. Peter and St. Cuthbert; there were originally five prebends, to which a sixth was subsequently added: the aggregate revenue, at the Dissolution, was £101. 18. A palace was erected here in the fourteenth century, by Walter Skirlaw, Bishop of Durham, as a summer residence for the prelates of that see; the remains of which have been converted into farm buildings. The Town is pleasantly situated in a richly-cultivated and level tract of country, about a mile north of the river Ouse: the houses are in general built of brick; the streets are well paved, and lighted with gas, and the inhabitants are amply supplied with water. There is an excellent ferry over the river at Howdenkike; and about a mile from the town, on the north side, is a station of the Hull and Selby railway. The market is on Saturday, and on every alternate Tuesday is a market for cattle. On April 15th, 16th, and 17th, is a fair for horses and cattle, when the great agricultural meeting takes place; and on the 26th of Sept. is a show for horses, which continues six days, and is perhaps the largest in the kingdom: a fair for cattle and all kinds of wares is held on the 2nd and 3rd of October. Courts leet and baron are held occasionally, in a room belonging to the ancient episcopal palace; and there is a county debt-court, established in 1847, whose powers extend over the registration-district of Howden.

The living is a vicarage not in charge, in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £150; impropriators, several proprietors. The church, formerly collegiate, is a spacious and stately cruciform structure, partly in the early but principally in the decorated English style, with a lofty embattled tower rising from the intersection, the upper part of which, raised by Bishop Skirlaw, is later English. The west front of the church is of bold and simple character, and a fine composition; and the east end, one of the richest specimens of the decorated style in the kingdom, has been made secure, and preserved from further dilapidation, at a cost of £280, raised by subscription: three splendid windows of stained glass have been inserted, bearing the arms of the Archbishop of York, the Bishop of Ripon, Lords Howden, Wenlock, Hotham, and Galway, and several landed proprietors in the parish who contributed towards the expense; in one of the chantries, also, P. Saltmarsh, Esq. has introduced two beautiful stained-glass windows. The chancel having fallen into decay, the nave was fitted up for the performance of divine service in 1636; the roof is supported by finely clustered columns and pointed arches. The chapter-house is a superb octagonal edifice, inferior only in dimensions to the chapter-house at York; it contains 30 canopied stalls richly ornamented with tabernacle work, exhibiting great perfection in the principal details. At Barmby and Laxton are incumbencies in the Vicar's gift. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Sandemanians. A free school is supported by a bequest from Robert Jefferson, Esq., and others, of about £30 per annum; and some considerable benefactions have been made for other charitable purposes. The poor-law union of Howden comprises 40 parishes or places, and contains a population of 14,265.

Howden-Pans

HOWDEN-PANS, a township, in the parish of Wallsend, union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2½ miles (S. W.) from North Shields; containing 1296 inhabitants. The village is situated on the north bank of the river Tyne, at the foot of some lofty eminences. Glass-works were in operation in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, and afterwards numerous salt-pans; but at present the inhabitants are chiefly employed in a colliery, and in the extensive ship-yards and docks of Messrs. Straker and Lowe, who build vessels of every size, and generally employ from 300 to 350 men: here was built one of the last 44-gun ships, of two decks, called the Argo. There is a brewery and malting establishment; also a paint manufactory. The Newcastle and North Shields railway has a station near. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans.

Howe (St. Mary)

HOWE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Clavering, though locally in that of Henstead, E. division of Norfolk, 6½ miles (S. S. E.) from Norwich; containing 92 inhabitants. It comprises 757 acres, the chief part arable. The living is a discharged rectory, with the rectory of Little Poringland united in 1728, valued in the king's books at £8. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Mrs. Wheeler: the tithes of the united parishes have been commuted for £350. 6., and the glebe consists of 55 acres.

Howe

HOWE, a township, in the parish of Pickhill, union of Thirsk, wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding of York, 5¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Thirsk; containing 35 inhabitants. It is situated in Swaledale, and comprises an area of 385a. 2r. 6p.; the road from Skipton to Thirsk passes on the south-east. The tithes have been commuted for £134.

Howell (St. Oswald)

HOWELL (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of Sleaford, wapentake of Aswardhurn, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (E. by N.) from Sleaford; containing 72 inhabitants. The parish is situated at the edge of the fenny districts, and comprises by computation 1400 acres, nearly two-fifths of which are fen: there are some remains of an ancient hall, the seat of the Dymoke family. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 10.; net income, £124; patrons, H. Machin, Esq., and others: the glebe comprises 28½ acres. The church has Norman portions, with insertions in the early and decorated English styles: the font is in the later style. A spring here, during the coldest seasons, maintains a constant temperature of 50° Fahrenheit. There are several moats and mounds.

Howgill

HOWGILL, a chapelry, in the parish of Sedbergh, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Sedbergh. This district, comprising the hamlets of Howgill and Bland, is situated between the Howgill Fells, the height of which is 2320 feet, and the river Lune, which separates it from Firbank, in Westmorland. The scenery is mountainous and wild. The North-Western railway passes through. A chapel was built here by Mr. John Robinson, an inhabitant, in 1685, and was rebuilt on a new site, and a burial-ground attached to it, in 1838, at an expense of £570, raised by voluntary subscription, towards which the Incorporated Society contributed £50, and Trinity College, Cambridge, £30; it is a neat building in the early English style. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Sedbergh, and has an income of £80. A school was built and endowed by Mr. Robinson, the master of which has a salary of about £40, including the school fees; and Mr. Robinson also bequeathed £100, of which he appropriated the interest to be divided amongst the poor.

Howgrave

HOWGRAVE, a township, in the parish of Kirklington, wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding of York, 5¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Thirsk; containing 27 inhabitants. This place, anciently a constablewick or graveship, was until lately united with Sutton, and with that township comprised 660 acres. It is situated in a mountainous district, west of the Leeming-Lane.

Howgrave, with Nunwick

HOWGRAVE, with Nunwick, a township, in the parish and liberty of Ripon, W. riding of York, 5 miles (N.) from Ripon; containing 35 inhabitants.

Howick

HOWICK, a township, in the parish of Penwortham, union of Preston, hundred of Leyland, N. division of Lancashire, 2¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Preston, on the road to Ormskirk and Liverpool; containing 125 inhabitants. This township belonged to the abbey of Evesham; it appears from the chartulary of that house, that Sir Albert Bussel gave the land of Howick for twenty-eight shillings to four brethren, who transferred it to the abbey. Anterior to the reign of Henry III. the place gave name to a family. The manor seems to have belonged to the Heskeths in Henry VIII.'s reign, and also in that of James I.; Howick Lodge, a mansion in the Elizabethan style, is now the seat and property of Thomas Norris, Esq. The township comprises 749 acres, of which 189 are common or waste. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £44. 11. 7., and those of the incumbent of Penwortham for £2. 15. A school was built in 1729 by Christopher Walton and others, of which the net income is £29. 5.; it is further aided by the trustees of Hutton's school.

Howick

HOWICK, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union and division of Chepstow, hundred of Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 3¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Chepstow; containing 36 inhabitants. This place is situated on the road from Chepstow to Abergavenny. The tithes have been commuted for £29. 14. 5., and belong to the Duke of Beaufort.

Howick (St. Mary)

HOWICK (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Alnwick, S. division of Bambrough ward, N. division of Northumberland, 5½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Alnwick; containing 242 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1620 acres, and is bounded on the east by the North Sea, the coast of which is lined with rocks of dreary and rugged aspect, with the exception of part of the shore, where is a quarry of freestone, whose eastern bank is worn by the action of the waves into caverns of romantic form. The soil is mostly a strong rich loam, on a retentive clay or marl, and the surface is generally flat. Howick Hall, the seat of Earl Grey, is a noble mansion, of stone raised from the quarry above noticed; it consists of a centre and two wings, and is pleasantly situated in an extensive park, comprehending a variety of scenery, and ornamented with thriving plantations. A fine trout stream, called Howick Bourne, over which is a bridge, skirts the lawn in front of the Hall, to the east of which is an artificial lake covering five acres, and well stored with fish. Coal has been found in the parish, and mines were formerly worked, but the produce was insufficient to remunerate the labour and expense, and they have remained undisturbed for many years. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £36. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Bishop of Durham: the tithes have been commuted for £317, and the glebe comprises 3 acres. The church, situated in the pleasuregrounds of the Hall, at a small distance from the mansion, was rebuilt in 1746, at the expense of Sir Harry Grey, Bart. A school, founded and built by the first Sir H. Grey, has been endowed by the family. On the eastern side of Howick Park are the remains of a Roman encampment, where, more than half a century since, spears, swords, coins, and gold rings were discovered; and in the vicinity have been found several large urns. Howick confers the inferior title of Viscount upon the family of Grey.

Howsham

HOWSHAM, a township, in the parish of Scrayingham, union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Whitwell, and 11 (N. E.) from York; containing 219 inhabitants. The township is situated on the banks of the navigable river Derwent, and comprises about 2000 acres by computation. Limestone is quarried for building, and for burning into lime. The Hall is a fine mansion in the Elizabethan style, surrounded by rich plantations, and commanding a beautiful view of the vale.

Howtell

HOWTELL, a township, in the parish of KirkNewton, union, and W. division of the ward, of Glendale, N. division of Northumberland, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from Wooler; containing 191 inhabitants. It lies between two tributary streams of the river Beaumont, and about two miles and a half north-west from the village of Kirk-Newton.

Hoxne (St. Peter And St. Paul)

HOXNE (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 3¼ miles (N. E.) from Eye; containing 1333 inhabitants. This place was memorable for the barbarous murder of Edmund, King of the East Angles, who, after an unsuccessful battle with the Danes at Thetford, had taken shelter in a wood in this parish, where he lay for some time concealed, till, being discovered by the glitter of his spurs, he was given up to his pursuers, by whom he was fastened to a tree, and shot to death by archers. A chapel was erected over his remains here, which, on the removal of the remains to the town of Bury St. Edmund's, was converted into a priory for Benedictine monks, and became a cell to the abbey of Norwich; it continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenue was returned at £18. 10., and the site and demesne were afterwards granted to Sir Richard Gresham, Knt. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Waveney, and comprises by measurement 4224 acres; the surface is varied, and the scenery, generally of pleasing character, is in some parts beautifully picturesque. Hoxne Hall, for many generations the residence of the Maynard family, and now the seat of Sir Edward Kerrison, Bart., by whom it has been converted into a splendid mansion, forms, with its tastefully embellished demesne, an interesting feature in the landscape. Petty-sessions for the division are held monthly. The living is a vicarage, with that of Denham annexed, valued in the king's books at £12. 3. 9.; appropriator of Hoxne, the Bishop of Norwich; patron, and impropriator of Denham, Sir E. Kerrison. The tithes of the parish have been commuted for £784. 5. payable to the Bishop, and £400 to the vicar; the glebe consists of 22 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; the interior is well arranged, and an organ has been erected at the expense of Sir Edward. In the north aisle is a monument, with a group of figures finely sculptured in marble, to the memory of Sir Thomas Maynard, erected in 1742, by Christopher Stanley, Esq. A school, now in union with the National Society, was founded and endowed by Lord Maynard, in 1761; and lands producing £80 per annum have been bequeathed to the poor. The union of Hoxne comprises 24 parishes or places, and contains a population of 15,797.

Hoxton (St. John the Baptist)

HOXTON (St. John the Baptist), a district parish, in the union of Shoreditch, Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, half a mile (N. E.) from London. This place, originally a hamlet in the parish of St. Leonard, Shoreditch, having become an extensive and populous district, was constituted a parish by act of parliament in 1830. It is divided into the Old Town and New Town; the former containing a number of ancient and spacious houses, many of which have fallen into decay, and some have been converted into private lunatic asylums: the New Town consists of numerous well-formed streets and neat ranges of modern buildings, occasionally interspersed with cottages; it is well paved, lighted with gas, and amply supplied with water. The principal manufactories are for machinery of various kinds, pins, vinegar, &c.: there is an extensive saw-mill; and on the banks of the Regent's canal, which passes through the northern part of the parish, are lime and coal wharfs.

The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £450; patron, the Archdeacon of London. The church was erected in 1826, by the Parliamentary Commissioners, at an expense of £13,000, and is a handsome edifice of light brick, with a cornice and ornaments of stone, and a steeple consisting of successive stages of campanile turrets crowned by a dome. A church, called Christ Church, was erected in the New North Road, by means of the Bishop of London's fund, and was consecrated June 22nd, 1839; it is a neat building in the early Norman style, and contains 1200 sittings, nearly half of which are free. A district has been assigned to it, and the living has been augmented to £400 per annum out of the Canonry and Prebend Suspension Fund; patron, the Bishop. A third church was completed, in Hoxton New Town, in 1847; it is a neat edifice of Kentish ragstone in the pointed style, with a spire. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Methodists of the New Connexion; and the ancient cemetery of the Jews is in the parish. Viscountess Lumley founded and endowed almshouses for six aged persons, which were rebuilt in 1822. The Haberdashers' almshouses were founded in 1692, by Robert Aske, who endowed them with estates for the support of 20 poor members of that company, and for the maintenance and education of 20 boys, sons of freemen of the company; the old buildings were taken down in 1825, and the present handsome structure erected on the site. The premises occupy three sides of a quadrangular area, and contain a chapel with a portico of the Grecian-Doric order, having near it apartments for the chaplain and schoolmaster, a schoolroom and dormitory for the boys, and domestic offices; the wings, in front of which is a colonnade, are appropriated to the aged men, who have each a separate house, and are in other respects comfortably provided for. William Fuller, Esq., in 1795, founded and endowed almshouses for twelve aged women, and by additional endowments accommodation is now afforded for twenty-eight. Almshouses near Gloucester-terrace were founded in 1749, by Mrs. Mary Westby, who endowed them for ten aged women.