LAYER-BRETON, a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, hundred of Winstree, N. division of Essex, 6 miles (E. by S.) from Kelvedon; containing 290 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement
933 acres, of which 803 are arable, 90 pasture, and 40
heath. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £7; net income, £288; patron, the Rev. R. W.
Sutton. There are places of worship for the Society of
Friends and Independents.
LAYER-DE-LA-HAY, a parish, in the union of
Lexden and Winstree, hundred of Winstree, N.
division of Essex, 4¼ miles (S. W. by S.) from Colchester; containing 731 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2577 acres, of which 59 are common or waste;
it is the most eastern of the three parishes of the name
of Layer. The land is generally wet: in some parts it
is a light soil, well adapted for turnips, and in others a
very shallow loam. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £82; patron, Sir G. H. Smyth, Bart.; impropriator, J. Pearson, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for £680. The church is a plain edifice, with a
Layer-Marney (St. Mary)
LAYER-MARNEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Lexden and Winstree, hundred of Winstree, N. division of Essex, 5 miles (E. by S.) from
Kelvedon; containing 256 inhabitants. It comprises
1900 acres, of which about 100 are woodland and plantation, and the remainder chiefly arable. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 3. 4., and
in the gift of Quintin Dick, Esq.: the tithes have been
commuted for £466, and the glebe comprises 3 acres.
The church is principally in the later English style, and
contains several fine monuments of the Marney family.
In an ancient brick edifice about 50 yards from the
church, William de Marney, in 1330, founded a college
for a warden and two chaplains.
Layham (St. Andrew)
LAYHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Cosford, W. division of Suffolk, 1½
mile (S. by E.) from Hadleigh; containing 549 inhabitants, and consisting of 2488a. 2r. 29p. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 0. 7½., and
in the gift of St. John's College, Cambridge: the tithes
have been commuted for a rent-charge of £800, and the
glebe comprises 71 acres.
LAYMORE, a tything, in the parish and hundred
of Crewkerne, union of Chard, W. division of the
county of Somerset; containing, with part of BlackDown hamlet, and the hamlets of Horn, Ash, and Greenham, 208 inhabitants.
Laysters (St. Andrew)
LAYSTERS (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union
of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Tenbury; containing 226
inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the east by a
part of Worcestershire, and intersected by the road
from Tenbury to Leominster; and comprises by measurement 1977 acres. Its soil is generally a moderately
tenacious clay, resting on a bed of coarse limestone; the
surface is finely undulated, and the surrounding scenery
diversified. The grain produced is of excellent quality,
and the breed of cattle in much repute. The living is a
perpetual curacy; net income, £335; patron, the Rev.
Thomas Elton Miller; impropriator and incumbent, the
Rev. J. K. Miller. An ancient ecclesiastical establishment here was connected with the priory of Sheen, in
Surrey; and there are still some vestiges of the buildings, on a farm called the Cinders, partially surrounded
by a moat.
Laysthorpe, York.—See Newton, East.
LAYSTHORPE, York.—See Newton, East.
Layston (St. Bartholomew)
LAYSTON (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the
union of Buntingford, hundred of Edwinstree,
county of Hertford, ¾ of a mile (N. N. E.) from Buntingford; containing 1187 inhabitants. The living is a
vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Buntingford annexed, valued in the king's books at £14. 16. 2.; net
income, £149; patron and impropriator, William Butt,
Esq. The ancient village of Layston has totally disappeared.—See Buntingford.
LAYTHAM, a township, in the parish of Aughton,
union of Howden, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 8 miles (N.)
from Howden; containing 109 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1270 acres, the property of various persons; the river Derwent passes on the west,
and the road from Duffield to Holme on the south.
LAYTON, with Warbrick, a township, in the parish
of Bispham, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2½
miles (S. W.) from Poulton; containing 1968 inhabitants. Layton is mentioned in the Domesday survey,
and in former times was of some importance as containing a mansion belonging to the ancient family of Botiller
or Butler, barons of Warrington, and afterwards to the
Rigbys; while, at the same time, it enjoyed the privilege of a weekly market and an annual fair, obtained by
Robert Botiller. In the reign of Elizabeth, Layton and
Warbrick were held by Thomas Fleetwood. The township lies on the coast, and comprises 2401a. 28p. of
land. Of the tithe rent-charges, £1. 4. are payable to
an impropriator, £38. 3. to the perpetual curate of Trinity Chapel, South-Shore, and £201. 17. to the curate
of Bispham, who has also a glebe of 4 acres. In this
township is Blackpool, which see.
LAYTON, EAST, a township, in the parish of
Stanwick St. John, union of Richmond, wapentake
of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 10 miles (E. N. E.)
from Darlington; containing 117 inhabitants. The
township comprises by computation 1010 acres of land:
the village is situated on the crown of a fertile eminence
commanding extensive views. The clergymen of the
adjoining parishes officiate here by turns in a small
LAYTON, WEST, a township, in the parish of
Hutton-Magnum, union of Richmond, wapentake of
Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 4¾ miles (S. E. by
E.) from Greta-Bridge; containing 88 inhabitants. It
comprises about 730 acres, partly the property of Lord
Rokeby. The village, which is small, is seated on an
eminence, on the road from Greta-Bridge to Hartforth.
The lands are partly in farms.
Lazonby (St. Nicholas)
LAZONBY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of
Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland;
containing, with the chapelry of Plumpton-Wall, 891
inhabitants, of whom 570 are in the township of Lazonby, 7 miles (N. N. E.) from Penrith. The township
comprises 7980a. 1r. 17p., of which 3888a. 2r. 20p. are
arable, 1140a. 2r. 35p. wood and plantations, 62a. 2r. 7p.
meadow and pasture, and 2888a. 1r. 35p. waste. The
village is situated on the west bank of the river Eden,
and the surrounding country is pleasing. There are
good quarries of freestone, and a quarry producing stone
for millstones. The living is a vicarage, endowed with
a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's
books at £13. 1. 3.; net income, £551; patron, the
Bishop of Carlisle: the remainder of the rectorial tithes
belong to the poor of the chapelry of Witherslack, Westmorland. At Plumpton-Wall is a separate incumbency.
In Baron Wood is a lofty rock, containing an artificial
cave called Giant's Chamber, or Samson's Cave. The
great Roman road passes from north to south, and
another intersects the parish in a direction towards
Salkeld Gate. At Castle Rigg are the ruins of a moated
building; and upon the fell, urns containing bones and
ashes were discovered some years since. There are also
LEA, a township, in the parish of Backford, union
of Great Boughton, Higher division of the hundred of
Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 4 miles
(N. N. W.) from Chester; containing 115 inhabitants.
The manor was part of the original endowment of the
monastery of St. Werburgh, and at the Dissolution was
granted to the Glasier family, who resided in the Hall
for many generations, but who are now supposed to be
extinct. The township comprises 671 acres, of a clayey
soil; and is divided from the township of Backford by a
small rivulet that flows down a deep vale. The vicarial
tithes have been commuted for £29, and the appropriate
for £62, payable to the Bishop of Chester.
LEA, a township, in the parish of Wybunbury,
union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the
county of Chester; containing 68 inhabitants. It
comprises 403a. 25p. The tithes have been commuted
for £50. 10., of which £9 are payable to the vicar, and
£41. 10. to the Bishop of Lichfield.
Lea, county of Derby.—See Dethwick-Lea.
LEA, county of Derby.—See Dethwick-Lea.
LEA, a tything, in the parish of Almondsbury,
Lower division of the hundred of Thornbury, poorlaw union of Thornbury, W. division of the county of
Gloucester; containing 57 inhabitants.
Lea (St. John)
LEA (St. John), a parish, in the union of Ross,
hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 4½ miles
(E. S. E.) from Ross; containing 209 inhabitants. This
parish, which is situated on the road from Gloucester
to Ross, comprises 661a. 2r. 12p. Building-stone is
found in several parts of the parish, but there is no
regular quarry. The living is a perpetual curacy; net
income, £68; patron, the Vicar of Linton. The church
is an ancient structure.
Lea, county of Lancaster.—See Ashton.
LEA, county of Lancaster.—See Ashton.
Lea (St. Helen)
LEA (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Gainsborough, wapentake of Corringham, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Gainsborough; containing 198 inhabitants. Gypsum is found
under the marl in the parish. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £9. 4. 2., and in the gift
of Sir C. H. J. Anderson, Bart.: the tithes have been
commuted for £392. 8. 10., and the glebe comprises 42
acres. At Hevening, in the parish, are some fish-ponds
and a moat, the remains of a Cistercian nunnery founded
in 1180, by Reyner Evermue; it was dedicated to the
Blessed Virgin Mary, and at the Dissolution had a revenue of £58. 13. 4.
Lea (St. Giles)
LEA (St. Giles), a parish, in the union and hundred of Malmesbury, Malmesbury and Kingswood, and
N. divisions of Wilts, 1¾ mile (E. S. E.) from Malmesbury; containing, with the hamlet of Cleverton, 446 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the river Avon,
and comprises by measurement 1691 acres, of which
312 are arable, 1332 pasture, and 10 woodland; the soil
of nearly one half is a sandy loam, and of the remainder
a tenacious clay. The living is annexed to the rectory
of Garsdon; the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £30, the vicarial for £188. 9., and the glebe
comprises 44 acres. The church is supposed to have
been erected before the Conquest, and appears to have
been partly rebuilt at a remote period; it contains 200
LEA-BAILEY, a tything, in the parish of Newland, union of Ross, hundred of St. Briavell's, W.
division of the county of Gloucester, 4½ miles (S. E.)
from the town of Ross; containing 135 inhabitants. It
is situated on the borders of Herefordshire.
LEA-HALL, a hamlet, in the parish of Bradborne,
hundred of Wirksworth, S. division of the county of
Derby, 4½ miles (N. N. E.) from the town of Ashbourn;
containing 22 inhabitants.
Lea-Marston (St. John the Baptist)
LEA-MARSTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish,
in the union of Meriden, Atherstone division of the
hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of
Warwick, 3 miles (N.) from Coleshill; containing 278
inhabitants. The parish is situated on the banks of the
river Tame, and contains 1422 acres, of which 57 acres
are woodland, the remainder being arable and pasture,
the former predominating; the surface is level, and the
soil light and gravelly, and of productive quality. The
Birmingham and Fazeley canal is only three-quarters of
a mile distant from the village; and in the neighbourhood the Derby railway branches off into two lines, one
leading to Birmingham and the other to Hampton-inArden. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£99; patron and impropriator, C. B. Adderley, Esq.:
the tithes were commuted for land in 1775. The church
is of very ancient date. Schools for boys and girls have
been lately built at the cost of the patron.
LEA-NEWBOLD, a township, in the chapelry of
Buerton, parish of St. Oswald, Chester, union of
Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of
Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 6 miles
(S. S. E.) from Chester; containing 42 inhabitants. It
comprises 708 acres, the soil of which is clay. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £31.