WINNALL, a parish, in the union of Winchester,
hundred of Fawley, Winchester and N. divisions of the
county of Southampton, ¾ of a mile (N. N. E.) from
Winchester; containing 113 inhabitants. This is a
small parish, north of the road to Alresford, and east of
the river Itchin.—See Winchester.
WINNERSH, a liberty, in the parish of Hurst,
union of Wokingham, hundred of Sonning, county of
Berks; containing 547 inhabitants, and comprising by
measurement 1777a. 27p. of land.
WINNINGTON, a township, in the parish of Great
Budworth, union of Northwich, Second division of
the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of
Chester, 1 mile (N. W.) from Northwich; containing 321
inhabitants. It is situated on the banks of the Weever,
over which is a stone bridge; and comprises 563 acres,
of a sandy soil. Winnington Hall, anciently the seat of
the Winningtons, and subsequently of the Warburtons,
was purchased, with the estate, in 1806, on the death of
Richard, Lord Penrhyn (who had obtained it in marriage),
by the Stanleys. Of this family, Edward John Stanley,
Esq., the present owner, was created Baron Eddisbury,
of Winnington, in May 1848.
WINNINGTON, a township, in the parish of
Muckleston, union of Drayton, N. division of the
hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford,
4½ miles (N. E.) from the town of Drayton; containing
WINNOW, ST., a parish, in the union of Bodmin,
hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall, 2½ miles
(S. E.) from Lostwithiel; containing 1056 inhabitants,
and comprising 5000 acres. The great London road
passes through the parish; the navigable river Fowey
runs on the west and south, and is crossed by a bridge
at Resprin. Stone is quarried for building and the repair
of roads. A fair is held at Bridgend on the 12th of
January. The living is a vicarage, with the chapel of
Nighton, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of
Exeter (the appropriators), valued in the king's books
at £5: the great tithes have been commuted for £416,
and the vicarial for £297. There is a place of worship
for Wesleyans. On Beacon Hill, a square battery was
constructed by the royalists, a short time before the
capitulation of the parliamentary army, in 1644.
WINSCALES, a township, in the parish of Workington, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward
above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2½ miles
(S. E.) from Workington; containing 111 inhabitants.
The tithes were commuted for land in 1809.
Winscombe (St. James)
WINSCOMBE (St. James), a parish, in the union of
Axbridge, hundred of Winterstoke, E. division of
Somerset, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Axbridge; containing, with the hamlet of Woodborough, 1436 inhabitants.
It comprises 4140 acres, of which 467 are common or
waste land. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £16. 2. 11.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The great
tithes have been commuted for £200, and the vicarial
for £250: the appropriate and vicarial glebes contain
respectively, 125½ acres, and 1¾ acre. The church is a
handsome structure, with a stately tower crowned by
pinnacles. Symons Cardinbrook, in 1761, gave the
residue of his estate to be applied in teaching poor
children; a schoolroom was erected by subscription,
aided by about £60 from the bequest: the permanent
annual income is £15.
Winsford, county of Chester.—See Over.
WINSFORD, county of Chester.—See Over.
Winsford (St. Mary Magdalene)
WINSFORD (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in
the union of Dulverton, hundred of Williton and
Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 5 miles (N.
by W.) from Dulverton; containing 581 inhabitants.
The parish comprises 8656 acres, including 2035 common or waste; and is situated on the river Exe, which
forms its boundary for 6 or 7 miles. Iron-ore is abundant, and there are indications of its having been formerly wrought to a great extent; common stone, of the
slate species, is quarried for roads and for building rough
walls. A cattle-fair is held on the 20th of August. The
living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£14. 13. 9., and in the gift of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Of the impropriate tithes, ¼ belongs to Sir T.
D. Acland, Bart., ¼ to the poor of the parishes of King'sBrompton, Kingston, and Bishop's-Lydeard, and ½ is
appropriated for exhibitions at St. Mary's Hall, Oxford.
These tithes have been commuted for £130, and the vicarial tithes for £370; there is a glebe-house, and the
glebe comprises 92¾ acres. Here is a place of worship
WINSHAM, a parish, in the union of Chard, E.
division of the hundred of Kingsbury, W. division of
Somerset, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Chard, on the new
road to Bridport; containing 999 inhabitants. There
are quarries of freestone and flint, used for building.
The manufacture of woollen-cloth was formerly carried
on to a considerable extent, but it has of late greatly
diminished. A pleasure-fair is held on the Thursday in
Whitsun-week. The living is a vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £14. 13. 4.; net income, £287; patron,
the Bishop of Bath and Wells; impropriator, H. H.
Henley, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for
£139. 10. The church is an ancient structure, with a
tower rising from the centre: in the belfry is a representation of the Crucifixion of Our Saviour, considered
to be perfectly unique. Sir Matthew Holworthy, in
1680, gave some premises now producing about £6 per
annum, which sum is applied towards instruction in a
national school erected in 1818.
WINSHILL, a township, in the parish and union of
Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, 1½ mile (E.
N. E.) from Burton; containing 377 inhabitants.
Winskill, with Hunsonby.—See Hunsonby.
WINSKILL, with Hunsonby.—See Hunsonby.
Winslade (St. Mary)
WINSLADE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Basingstoke, Basingstoke and N. divisions
of the county of Southampton, 3 miles (S. by E.) from
Basingstoke; containing, with the tything of Kempshott, 169 inhabitants, of whom 100 are in Winslade
hamlet. The parish is situated on the road from Basingstoke to Alton, and comprises 1448 acres, of which 743
are arable, 351 meadow and pasture, 312 wood, and 30
waste, &c. The land under tillage has a substratum of
chalk, and produces good barley and turnips. The living
is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£6. 12. 1., and in the gift of Lord Bolton: the tithes
have been commuted for £204. 14. 6.; there is a glebehouse, and the glebe comprises 12 acres.
Winsley, with Snitterton, in the hundred of Wirksworth, Derby.—See Snitterton.
WINSLEY, with Snitterton, in the hundred of
Wirksworth, Derby.—See Snitterton.
WINSLEY, a tything and chapelry, in the parish,
union, and hundred of Bradford, Westbury and N.
divisions, and Trowbridge and Bradford subdivisions, of
Wilts, 1½ mile (W.) from Bradford; the tything containing 2269 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St.
Nicholas: there is a second chapel at Limpley-Stoke.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Dean
and Chapter of Bristol; income, £147. Here is a place
of worship for Wesleyans.
Winsley, with Hartwith.—See Hartwith.
WINSLEY, with Hartwith.—See Hartwith.
Winslow (St. Lawrence)
WINSLOW (St. Lawrence), a market-town and
parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 6½ miles (S. E.) from
Buckingham, and 50 (N. W.) from London; containing,
with Shipton hamlet, 1434 inhabitants. This town,
which is of considerable antiquity, having been given by
King Offa to the abbey of St. Alban's so early as 794, is
situated on the brow of a hill, and consists principally
of three streets regularly built and of neat appearance;
the houses are chiefly of brick: water is amply supplied
from wells. The land in the vicinity is extremely fertile,
and in a high state of cultivation. The white poppy was
so successfully grown here, in 1821, as to produce 60lb.
of opium, worth at least £75, from four acres, and
143lb. in the next year from eleven acres; for which,
on both occasions, the prize of 30 guineas was awarded
by the Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce. The market, granted by charter
of Henry III., is on Thursday; a small quantity of corn
is pitched in the market-house. Fairs are held on February 18th, March 20th, Holy-Thursday, August 21st,
September 22nd, and November 26th, for cattle; and
on the Thursday before Old Michaelmas-day, and the
first and second Thursdays following, are statute-fairs.
The parish comprises 1900 acres, of which 310 are arable,
1570 pasture, including homesteads, and 20 woodland.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £11. 5. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown;
net income, £185; impropriator, W. S. Lowndes, Esq.
The church is a spacious and venerable structure in the
later English style, with a square embattled tower at the
west end; it has been repewed. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans. A
school was endowed by Joseph Rogers, in 1724, with
property now producing an income of £30; and coal
and bread are annually distributed among the poor to
the amount of about £35, from bequests. The union
comprises 17 parishes or places, containing a population
WINSLOW, a township, in the parish and union of
Bromyard, hundred of Broxash, county of Hereford, 2½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Bromyard; containing 424 inhabitants, and comprising 2832 acres.
The tithes have been commuted for £490, of which £210
are payable to the first, and £55 to the second, portionist
of Bromyard, and £225 to the vicar. There is a glebe
of 8 acres.
WINSON, a chapelry, in the parish of Bibury,
union of Northleach, hundred of Bradley, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (N. W.) from
Fairford; containing 202 inhabitants, and comprising
by admeasurement about 1300 acres, chiefly arable land.
The chapel is dedicated to St. Michael.
WINSTANLEY, a township, partly in the chapelry
of Up Holland and partly in that of Billinge, parish
and union of Wigan, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 3¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from
Wigan; containing 681 inhabitants. At the period of
the Conquest, Uctred, a Saxon, held Wibaldeslei; and
in the reign of John, Roger de Winstanesley held lands
in the township. A long race of gentlemen taking their
name from Winstanley, succeeded these ancient proprietors. In the reign of James I., the manor belonged
to James Bancks, a descendant of the Bankes, of BankNewton, in Craven; in whose family the property continued until about 1731, when, by marriage with the
heiress of William Bankes, it passed to the family of
Holme, who eventually changed their name to Bankes.
This is a fertile and picturesque township, rich in coal,
the prevailing mineral of the district; it comprises 1866
acres, of which 600 are arable, 900 meadow and pasture, 100 woodland, and the remainder common and
waste. Winstanley Hall, existing in the 16th century,
is the seat of the Bankes family, and stands in a spacious and delightful park: it has been lately re-edified
and improved. The tithes of the township have been
commuted for a rent-charge of £203. 9.
WINSTER, a market-town and chapelry, in the parish of Youlgrave, union of Bakewell, hundred of
High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 4½
miles (W. by N.) from Matlock, and 145 (N. N. W.) from
London; containing 1005 inhabitants. This small town
is situated on the road from Ashbourn to Bakewell,
about midway between the river Derwent and the Cromford and High Peak railway. It is badly supplied with
water, which in dry seasons is only to be procured at
the distance of a mile. The inhabitants are chiefly
employed in the adjacent lead-mines, which were once
much more extensively worked; the market, on Saturday, is very indifferently attended, and four fairs formerly
held annually have also declined. The chapelry comprises 1049a. 1r. 24p. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £104; patrons, the Inhabitants. The tithes
were partly commuted for land, under inclosure acts, in
1763 and 1809; the Duke of Rutland is entitled to the
tithe of lead-ore. In 1702, Mrs. Anne Phermey and
Mrs. H. Fanshaw bestowed on the minister one-fourth
of the tithes of corn and hay in the township; and
about 50 acres of land belonging to the benefice. The
chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt,
with the exception of the tower, in 1843. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. Thomas Eyre, Esq., in 1717 bequeathed £20 per
annum for instruction; and an annuity of £5 was left
in 1718, by Robert Moore, for the same purpose. In
the neighbourhood are several barrows, in one of which,
opened in 1768, two glass vessels were found, containing some clear but green-coloured water, a silver bracelet,
some glass beads, and other trinkets.
WINSTER, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and
ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 7 miles (W.)
from Kendal; containing, with the township of Undermilbeck, in the parish of Windermere, 1033 inhabitants.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £97,
derived from two small farms and the glebe land; patron, the Vicar of Kendal. Winster once formed part
of the chapelry of Crook, and the inhabitants still contribute towards the repairs of the chapel there.
Winston (St. Andrew)
WINSTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S.
division of the county of Durham, 10 miles (W. by N.)
from Darlington, on the road to Barnard-Castle; containing 293 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises
about 3150 acres, belongs to the Trustees of the Earl of
Bridgewater. The village is situated on an elevation
rising from the northern bank of the river Tees, which
is crossed here by a handsome stone bridge of one arch,
111 feet in the span, built in 1764. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 1½., and in
the gift of the Bishop of Durham: the tithes have been
commuted for £385. 10. to the rector, £25. 14. to Trinity
College, Cambridge, and 13s. to the vicar of Gainford;
the glebe contains 29½ acres. The church is a small
ancient fabric, chiefly of early English character: the
churchyard is shaded by venerable elms, beneath the
branches of which a noble prospect of Raby opens to the
north. The parsonage, with its beautiful gardens laid
out in hanging terraces, joins the church on the east,
and commands one of the richest views of the Tees, the
wild range of the Richmondshire hills bounding the horizon on the south and west.
Winston (St. Andrew)
WINSTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Bosmere and Claydon, hundred of Thredling, E.
division of Suffolk, 1 mile (S. S. E.) from Debenham;
containing 399 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £9. 3. 9.; net income,
£169; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter
of Ely. There is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains about 32 acres. The church is chiefly in the early
English style, with an embattled tower.
Winston (St. Bartholomew)
WINSTONE (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the
union of Cirencester, hundred of Bisley, E. division
of the county of Gloucester, 6 miles (N. W. by N.)
from Cirencester; containing 262 inhabitants. It comprises 1400 acres by admeasurement. Stone is quarried
for building. The living is a discharged rectory, valued
in the king's books at £7. 10., and in the patronage of
J. W. Lyon, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for
£190; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 80 acres. The Baptists have a place of worship.
The ancient Ermin-street passes through the parish.