||The 'beacon upon Rivington Hill' is
mentioned in 1591; Hist. MSS. Com.
Rep. xiv, App. iv, 603.
||W. F. Irvine, Rivington, 149–53. The
portion of the reservoirs and filter beds
within the township occupies about 275
||The 1901 Census Rep. gives 2,771,
including 218 of inland water.
||Mr. Lever's gift also includes the
beacon tower on the Pike and land around
||a Baines, Lancs. Dir. 1825, ii, 670.
||a Lewis, Topog. Dict., ed. 1831.
||a Subs. R. Lancs, bdle. 250, no. 9.
||a Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs, and Ches.), i, 67. In this account
of the township great help has been
derived from Mr. W. Fergusson Irvine's
Hist, of Rivington (1904), and Lieut.-Col.
J. Pilkington's Hist. of the Pilkington Family
(1894), and the authors' further aid.
||a Dods. MSS. cxxxi, fol. 37b.
||Add. MS. 32103, fol. 146b; in
addition to the 10s. rent, puture and a
double rent for relief were paid. Roger
de Pilkington and John de Hulton were
||Duchy of Lane. Knights' Fees, 2/20;
Sir John Pilkington and James Hulton
were the holders.
The Hulton share descended in the
Farnworth branch of the family, but
is not mentioned in any of their inquisitions, though rents in Rivington, of which
no particulars are given, are named among
the possessions of William Hulton of
Farnworth as late as 1556; Duchy of
Lane. Inq. p.m. x, no. 32.
||There is no indication that this part
of the Pilkington lordships was granted to
the Earl of Derby.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), i, 153.
||Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.),
fol. 755; the inquisition after the death
of Edmund Lathom, 1640, in which it is
stated that George his grandfather had,
among other properties, held a fourth
part of Rivington of the Crown, and
made a settlement in 1570.
George Lathom and Elizabeth Lathom,
widow, were engaged in suits with
Richard Pilkington and others in 1549
and 1550, respecting Moldesfield and
land in Rivington; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec.
Com.), i, 240, 242, 243, 286.
In Towneley MS. GG these are described as George Lathom of Huyton
and Elizabeth his wife; no. 1721, 1836.
Earlier (1486) Edmund Lathom of Riding
Chapel occurs; no. 1965, 1966. Hyefurth House at Dene Head was part of
the Lathom estate; ibid. no. 1988.
The disputes went on until 1614, when
Thomas Lathom son of George received
an allotment of 50 acres in satisfaction
of his claims on the waste; Irvine,
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs,
and Ches.), i, 28. John Shaw was
defendant in Rivington cases in 1507,
1528, and again in 1545; Ducatus Lanc.
(Rec. Com.), ii, 1; i, 201, 178. It
seems natural to assume that this was the
eighth part previously held by the Hultons. Robert Shaw, son and heir of the
Thomas Shaw whose inquisition has
just been referred to, made a settlement of
the eighth part of the manor of Rivington
and other lands in 1606; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 70, no. 68. In 1765
Holt Leigh acquired lands in Rivington,
Anglezarke, &c, from Baxter Roscow
and Helen his wife, and Elizabeth Shaw,
widow; ibid. bdle. 373, m. 122.
||In 1347 Roger de Westleigh of Irlam,
Emma his wife, and Adam de Birkhead
or Birkenhead of Wigan claimed the
fourth part of two messuages, &c., in
Rivington against Robert de Rivington,
Richard his son, and others; Assize R.
1435, m. 18. Three years earlier Roger
son of Roger de Westleigh and Emma
his wife had made a settlement of the
fifth part of the manor of Rivington and
the fourth part of an oxgang in Bartonon-Irwell in favour of their son Richard,
whose wife's name was Ellen; Final Conc.
(Rec. Soc. Lanes, and Ches.), ii, 121. A
settlement in 1448 probably refers to the
same estate; ibid, iii, 114.
||Henry Birkhead of Wigan held a
messuage and lands in Rivington of Richard
Pilkington by a rent of 2d.; his heir in
1513 was Joan, sister of Richard son of
Hugh so 1 of Richard son of the said
Henry, and she was four years of age;
Duchy of Lane. Inq. p.m. iv, no. 26. By
another inquisition it was found that her
father Hugh, who died in 1514 (sic), held
the same estate in Rivington of the king as
of hiB Duchy of Lancaster by the rent of
7½d. and William Birkhead, uncle of
Hugh, was the occupier; ibid, iv, no. 87.
Yet another inquisition was held in which
the tenure of the king by a rent of 7½d.
was confirmed, and some furthur particulars were recorded; Hugh is now stated
to have died 16 Jan. 1510–11 ; ibid, v,
no. 23. See further in the account of
||Richard Chisnall died in 1587
holding six messuages, &c, in Rivington
of the queen as of her manor of Salford,
in socage by a rent of 7½d. ibid, xiv, no.
39. Richard Chisnall had been plaintiff
in several Rivington suits in preceding
years; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), iii,
109, 125, 142, 157. John Chisnall,
his nephew and heir, was defendant in
1588 ; ibid, iii, 226. The estate in
Rivington was in 1635 stated to be held
of the Crown by a rent of 16½d.; Duchy
of Lane. Inq. p.m. xxviii, no. 8.
||The Chisnall estates descended to
the Hamertons; James Hamerton was a
vouchee in a recovery in 1772; Pal. of
Lane. Plea R. 615, m. 11. A little
later the Rivington lands were sold to the
||a The Lathom estates in Rivington
and elsewhere seem to have been inherited
from the Westleigh family, though the
share of Rivington is called a fourth part.
The fractions are uncertain.
||See Pilkington, Pilkington Family,
Final Conc. i, 18.
||Ibid, i, 22.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 67.
||A collection of Rivington charters is
preserved in Towneley MS. GG (Add.
MS. 32107), no. 1657–2078.
||Richard son of Richard de Gamelsley
granted to his lord, Alexander de Pilkington, his claim in the holding of Roger de
Broadhurst; Towneley MS. GG, no.
1703, 1873. William son of Roger de
Broadhurst also granted to Alexander his
lord all his rights in lands and services in
Rivington; ibid.no. 1925. William son
of Richard de Rivington gave to the same
Alexander the land he had received from
Ellis son of Simon ; and Ellen and Maud,
daughters of John son of Richard son of
William de Rivington, gave a release of
their claim on the lands of their uncle
William ; and in 1279 Roger son of
Richard de Rivington also granted a
release; ibid. no. 2066, 2069, 2070.
||Ibid. no. 1658. The seal bore the
||Ibid. no. 1657, 1962; the 'remainder ' was to John, another son of
Alexander de Pilkington, in free marriage
with Margery, another daughter of
William de Anderton. Alice widow of
Adam son of William de Anderton released her claim to dower in Rivington to
Richard de Pilkington; no. 1661. Roger
de Broadhurst in 1297 entered into a
bond to discharge Richard de Pilkington and Ellen his wife from all his
claims against them on any account ;
||In that year John de Hindiey
successfully asserted his right to common
of pasture in 200 acres of moor, &c, in
Rivington against Richard de Pilkington,
the chief lord, Ellen his wife, Alice widow
of Alexander de Pilkington, Adam de
Heywood, Roger de Broadhurst, and
others; Assize R. 419, m. 12. Richard
de Pilkington and Ellen his wife were
among the defendants in a plea of the
following year ; ibid. 418, m. 2.
||Richard de Pilkington acquired land
between Tunstead Brook and Baxtondene water from Roger son of Simon del
Knoll; and he made a grant to Godith,
Simon's widow; Towneley MS. GG, no.
1662, 1918; also no. 2051, 2052. In
1310 Richard del Knoll demised to Richard
de Pilkington, for ten years, all his land
in Rivington; ibid, no, 2000.
||Robert was a minor at his father's
death, and in 1318 took action against
Robert son of John de Ditton and Ellen
his wife for an account of his lands which
they had held whilst he was under age;
De Banco R. 222, no. 232. In the previous year he had acquired from Richard
son of John del Knoll all his land at the
Knoll in Rivington; Towneley MS. GG,
no. 1914. In 1322 Robert and his
brother Adam agreed to waive their
actions against John de Ditchfield and
his brothers Richard and William; ibid,
no. 1866. Robert occurs again in 1330,
1333, and 1335; no. 1958, 1955, 1714.
He contributed to the subsidy in 1332;
Exch. Lay Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
He enfeoffed Alexander son of Cecily of
his manor of Rivington in 1336, and it
was regranted to him ten days later with
remainders to his son Richard, and in
default of issue to John and William,
brothers of Richard; Towneley MS. GG,
no. 1730, 1675. Robert was still living in
1347; Assize R. 1435, m. 18.
||The settlement referred to in the
last note was made just after Richard's
marriage, and Robert de Pilkington on
the same occasion granted Richard and
Joan certain lands in Rivington. The
bounds began at 'the oak in the lane,'
went along the lane to Tunstead Brook,
beyond the brook to the hedge dividing
Goose Hey and Fernylea, along the hedge
to Baxtondene Water, down this to the
boundary between Anderton and Rivington, and then by the boundary of Broadhurst to the starting-point. The remainders are the same as before, except
that Margaret, a daughter, is inserted;
Towneley MS. GG, no. 1678.
In 1330 Alice, widow of Roger son of
Simon del Knoll, released to Richard son
of Robert de Pilkington all her right in
Rivington; ibid. no. 2075. Richard
occurs again in 1346 and 1347; no.
1903; Assize R. 1435, m. 18.
||John de Pilkington of Rivington was
witness to a local charter in 1367;
Towneley MS. GG, no. 1870. He was
no doubt the younger brother of Richard
mentioned in the remainders in 1336, and
may have been a trustee in possession.
An incident of this period may be
recorded. Ralph de Pennington, clerk,
prosecuted two men called 'Baxton men'
in 1375 for digging in his quarry at
Rivington; De Banco R. 457, m. 381 d.
||Col. Pilkington (op. cit. 36) considers that he was a younger son of Sir
Roger de Pilkington of Pilkington, and
that the silence is explained by Robert's
constant service abroad. As there is no
evidence of any grant from the older
Robert to the younger, it is more probable that the descent of the manor was
regular, and that the second Robert was
grandson and heir of the former one.
Robert Pilkington of Rivington was a
witness in the Scrope-Grosvenor trial,
1385–9. He was then aged forty or
more, and had seen Sir Robert Grosvenor
use the disputed coat at the taking of the
tower of Brosses and at La Roche sur Yon
about 1369, and all through that expedition; Sir H. Nicolas' Scrope Roll, 302
(quoted by Col. Pilkington, op. cit. 66).
In 1386 one Robert de Pilkington went to
Ireland, having the king's protection;
Cal. Pat. 1385–9, p. 156.
||Towneley MS. GG, no. 1785;
decree of divorce between Robert and
Alice. The first marriage—if it was a
marriage, about which there is some doubt
—took place about 1360. The reason is
given in proceedings concerning the third
marriage; no. 2055. There was issue of
the first (or second) marriage, for in
1445 Robert de Bolton claimed the manor
of Rivington as son and heir of Imania,
daughter and heir of Alice and Robert;
Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 8, m. 16b. In
1385 Robert de Pilkington agreed that
his daughter Imania should marry Roger
son of Robert de Bolton, lord of Little
Bolton; Mr. W. H. Lever's D. (note by
Col. Pilkington). Roger son of Robert de
Bolton in 1408 gave a receipt for part of
a debt of 25 marks due by Alexander de
Pilkington; GG, no. 1660.
||Some account of the Ainsworth
family is given under Middleton. The
marriage agreement was made in Aug.
1382, in which it was recited that as
Katherine was nearly related to Alice de
Hulton, John her father should seek a
dispensation from the Court of Rome;
GG, no. 1843. He appears to have
neglected to do so, and it was not until
they had been married many years that
the dispensation was sought; it was
granted by Boniface IX in 1401. On
receipt of his decree the Bishop (of Lichfield) made the usual inquiry by the
Abbot of Whalley and the Prior of Burscough, and the latter absolved the parties
and confirmed the marriage on 10 June
1403; Lich. Epis. Reg. vii, fol. 210;
Towneley MS. GG, no. 2055. It was
recorded that Robert and Katherine were
married at Castleton Church in Nov.
1382, between the third hour and the
ninth (or, between terce and none), in the
presence of a number of relatives and
friends, and after due publication of banns
at Bolton and Castleton.
About the middle of 1402 a settlement
was made by Robert de Pilkington and
Katherine daughter of John de Ainsworth, who is not called Robert's wife,
no doubt on account of the proceedings
mentioned above. The remainders after
their deaths were to Robert's sons:
Alexander, Richard, William, Robert,
Roger, John, and Ewan; then to
Richard son of Henry de Pilkington, and
then to Sir Roger de Pilkington; ibid.
no. 1716. A later one was made in Nov.
1402; ibid. no. 1668.
Robert seems to have died shortly after
this, for the executors of his will were
discharged, after the performance of their
duty, in October 1403; no. 1920.
||In June 1402 Robert de Pilkington
gave to Alexander his son and Katherine
his wife, daughter of Richard del Crook
of Whittle, certain lands in Rivington
which he had acquired from Roger de
Barton and Alice his wife, and from
Robert del Knoll, &c.; ibid. no. 2076,
2077, 1682, 1683, 1705. The manor of
Rivington and all its appurtenances had
been granted by Robert to his son in
1398, no. 1677, 1731; but see also no,
1683, 1707, 1733, 1734.
Inquiry was in 1407 ordered into a
complaint by Robert Unton that Alexander de Pilkington, Katherine his wife,
and Ralph his son had disseised him of
his free tenement in Rivington; no.
1666. The date (8 Hen. IV) may be
erroneous; in 1428 (7 Hen. VI) Alexander agreed to Robert Unton's claim to
the Knoll; no. 1741. In 1441 a similar
agreement was made by Alexander's son
Ralph; no. 1758. The dispute was
amicably settled before 1436; no. 1688.
In 1447 Robert Unton released all actions
against Alexander de Pilkington; no.
||Lancs. Rec. Inq. p.m. no. 25, 26.
The rent, which is that for half, not
seven-eighths, of the manor does not agree
with the other records quoted above.
Alexander de Pilkington occurs frequently until 1473, and he seems to have
died in the following year. In 1429 he
made a settlement of his lands in Rivington and Mellor; Towneley MS. GG,
no. 1698, 1723. Again, in 1460, he
made a feoffment of the manor of
Rivington; no. 1699. In 1473 Peter
Shuttleworth and others became bound to
him in £20; no. 1810. In the followingyear Giles Lever, vicar of Bolton, and
others made formal testimony 'that
Alexander Pilkington of Rivington, lying
on his deathbed, being in good mind, was
examined by the said vicar his ghostly
father if ever he had made any bargain,
annuity, or gift of any of his lands andtenements in Lancashire or in Mellor
except for a term of years; and in reply
he swore before all of them that he had
not done so, but that his lands would
descend to the right heirs of his body;
no. 1717 (dated 14 Hen. IV for Edw.
Alexander had a daughter Clemence,
who married Sir Lawrence Fitton, dead
in 1460; no. 1942.
||See a preceding note. Ralph son of
Alexander Pilkington occurs in 1459–60,
and in 1468 made a lease of lands in
Rivington to Edmund Crosse ; ibid, no.
1679, 2006, 1681.
||Towneley MS. GG, no. 1709; no
reason is mentioned, but in the preceding
year the king ordered the arrest of Geoffrey
de Livesey and a number of his family
and neighbours on the charge of abducting
Margery wife of Ralph de Pilkington ;
Riv. D. no. 23 (Irvine, Rivington, 18).
William de Lever was in 1437 party to
an agreement with Alexander Pilkington
and Ralph his son respecting the claims of
Robert Unton; GG, no. 1689.
||In 1447 Alexander Pilkington settled
certain lands for her life upon Margaret,
sister of William Ambrose and wife of
Ralph Pilkington; ibid. no. 1738. The
remainders were to Robert and Richard,
sons of Ralph.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc), ii, 104;
the socage rent of 6s. 3d. is named. He
also held the chapel croft and parcel of a
tenement called Catholes of the Knights
Hospitallers by 12d. a year. A deed of
1478 names Ralph as living in 1475;
he had sons Robert (the heir) and William ; Towneley MS. DD, no. 2157.
Dame Margaret's dower was agreed
upon in 1476; GG, no. 1862, 1906.
The widow was living in 1479; no.
||Duchy of Lane. Inq. p.m. iii, no.
33; this estate is described as twenty
messuages, 60 acres of land, 5 acres of
meadow, 2 acres of wood, and 10 acres of
moss, of the clear annual value of 20
||Towneley MS. GG, no. 1701, 1737.
In 1478 his grandfather Alexander's
feoffee released to Robert son of Ralph
Pilkington all his right in Rivington and
Mellor; no. 1670. A short time afterwards Robert himself made a feoffment
of all his lands in Rivington; no. 1757.
An award also was made in a dispute
between him and William son of William Anderton; no. 1801, 1744, 1906.
Oliver Hilton and his son Roland released
lands in Rivington and a rent of 9s. to
him in 1480; no. 1861. In 1483 he
was summoned by the Archdeacon of
Chester to answer certain complaints ; no.
2043. Edmund Lathom of Ridding Chapel
was in 1486 bound to an arbitration as
to his dispute with Robert Pilkington ;
no. 1965. Two years later a similar
arbitration was agreed to respecting land
in Kilchurch in Rivington claimed by
John Shaw; no. 1951. William Orrell
in 1508 delivered to Robert two boxes of
evidences; no. 2042.
||His narrative of the long struggle—
from 1478 to 1501—is printed in the
Hist. MSS. Commission's Various Collections, ii, 28–56. In the earlier year
named 'Sir John Savage came into Lancashire and took Robert Pilkington prisoner in the night, and carried him to
Macclesfield in Cheshire, where he was
grievously fettered and was threatened to
be put to death unless he would yield his
right to Mellor.' In spite of this opening the narrative is chiefly one of the
||Towneley MS. GG, no. 1864; the
marriage was to take place by August,
||Ibid. no. 1681, 1986; also Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iv, no. 10. Only a
messuage and 60 acres of land were recorded. A certificate of good character
was given to Elizabeth daughter of Robert
Pilkington in 1507–8 by the vicar of
Bolton ; Towneley MS. GG, no. 2031.
||James Pilkington was born about
1520; educated at Cambridge; B.A., and
fellow of St. John's College, 1539 5 B.D.
1550. With other Protestants he fled to
the continent on the accession of Mary,
and lived at Zurich, Basle, Geneva, and
Frankfort until her death. He then
returned to England and was quickly
appointed on the committee for revising
the Common Prayer Book and on
the Commission of Visitors of the
University of Cambridge. The master of
St. John's College being deprived for his
adherence to the Roman religion Pilkington was made master and Regius Professor of Divinity (1559). At the end of
1560 he was made Bishop of Durham;
he obtained the restitution of the lands
belonging to the see, but had to pay over
£1,000 a year to the Crown as compensation. At the Northern rising in 1569
he was in London, and the queen did not
allow him to profit by the forfeitures
which followed on its suppression, his
claim, in right of his Palatinate, being set
aside 'for that time.' Nevertheless he
was not only able to found Rivington
School, but to provide handsomely for his
daughters; he was indeed regarded as
very penurious, and left the buildings of
the see in ruins. He promoted his four
younger brothers. He died at Auckland
23 Jan. 1575–6, and was buried there
without ceremony, and then in Durham
Cathedral on 24 May following. His
published works have been reprinted by
the Parker Society (1842), with a biography and list of works ; there are letters
also in the same society's Zurich Letters,
i, 222, 286 and Parker Corres. 221;
these show him to have been of the extremer and more arJent class of Protestants. In his statutes for Rivington
School he ordained that the master should
be 'a hater of popery and superstition,'
and that the scholars should be taught in
Calvin's Catechism and Institutes. There
are biographies in Dict. Nat. Biog.; Baker,
Hist, of St. John's College (ed. Mayor), i,
146–51 (with the epitaph), 248; Cooper,
Athen. Cantab, i, 344, 563; Low, Durham (Dioc. Hist.), 227–31; White,
Elizabethan Bishops, 163–7.
Leonard Pilkington, D.D., his brother,
adopted the same ecclesiastical principles;
he was fellow of St. John's, Cambridge,
in 1545; ejected for religion in 1554, and
became an exile; returned to be reinstated
in his fellowship and was appointed master
on his brother's resignation in 1561. His
patronage of the extreme party among the
Protestants led to great disorders, and he
resigned in 1564. His brother promoted
him to benefices and a prebend in his
diocese. He died in 1599, and left some
books to his college. See notices in Dict.
Nat. Biog.; Baker, op. cit. i, 152–6;
Athen. Cantab, ii, 268, 550.
John Pilkington, another brother, was
Prebendary and Archdeacon of Durham;
Athen. Cantab. ii, 358, 553.
Lawrence Pilkington, another brother,
was also beneficed in the diocese of
Francis Pilkington, another brother,
had in 1560 a lease of the manor of
Millington in Yorkshire granted by St.
John's College for twenty years; Baker,
op. cit. i, 385. He was steward for the
||Towneley MS. GG, no. 1989–93;
it is stated 'that Richard Pilkington of
Rivington and his ancestors have been
lords of the waste and commons of Rivington, and also have herbage or else a
yearly rent therefor of all the inhabitants
of the said town, and also have had all
manner of mines upon the same.' For
later divisions of the waste see Lancs, and
Ches. Rec. (Rec. Soc. Lanes, and Ches.),
||Towneley MS. GG, no. 1686,1952;
the marriage was to take place before
30 Nov. 1504.
||Ibid. no. 1672. The rent shows this
to refer to the Hospitallers' lands. The
date of death is taken from the Rivington
family picture. One of the Towneley
deeds, however (GG, no. 1977), is a grant
of dower in 1547 by George Pilkington
to his mother Alice; the date is probably
erroneous. Richard appears to have added
to the family possessions by purchases in
Heath Charnock, &c.; but as in previous
cases only a small part of his estate
appears in the inquisition. In 1521 he
enfeoffed Thurstan Tyldesley and others
of his manor of Rivington and lands in
Heath Charnock, Walton-le-Dale, and
Croston; GG, no. 1948. About the same
time he allowed one Piers Bradley to
make a waingate through a parcel of land
called Little Rivington in the occupation
of Piers' brother Henry Bradley; Towneley MS. GG, no. 1713.
For the family picture above mentioned,
showing Richard Pilkington, his wife and
children, see the account of the church,
infra. There are prints of it in the works
||The New Hall in Rivington and its
appurtenances, except the church and
churchyard and the water-mill, and mill
hill were in 1544 granted by Richard
Pilkington to George, his son and heir,
and Anne his wife at a peppercorn rent;
ibid. no. 1724. A settlement of the
manor of Rivington and lands in Rivington, Heath Charnock, and Walton-leDale was made in 1579 by George Pilkington and Anne his wife; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 41, m. 203. George
appears to have purchased four messuages
and lands in Rivington and Heath Charnock in 1569 from Christopher Anderton
and Dorothy his wife; ibid. bdle. 31, m.
53. In 1590 George Pilkington appears
as a plaintiff; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.),
iii, 225. A little later, in 1596, he gave
lands, &c., in Walton-le-Dale to his son
and heir Robert; Towneley MS. GG, no.
1722. He died soon afterwards.
||Robert in 1601 mortgaged the manor
and other estates to William Bispham, of
London, who took possession the following year and held it till Robert's death on
17 Nov. 1605. The manor of Rivington
was found, as already stated, to be held of
the king in socage by 6s. 3d. rent. The
heir was Robert's brother James, and
sisters Katherine and Alice were living;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 151–3.
||In July, 1611, by fine Robert Lever
and Thomas Breres secured from the
executors of Robert Pilkington's will and
James his heir, the manor of Rivington,
and messuages, lands, water-mill, dovecote, &c., in Rivington, Walton-le-Dale,
and Heath Charnock; Pal. of Lanc. Feet
of F. bdle. 79, no. 7.
A survey of the Old Hall estate, made
in 1610, is printed in Irvine, Rivington,
158–60. The New Hall was then in the
possession of Katherine Pilkington, sister
of Robert and James; a water corn mill
and kiln was let at a rent of £1, six days'
'shearing' and five boon hens; 'a fair
inn, with a fair new barn, stables, and
other necessary buildings,' brought in a
rent of 15s., and four days' shearing was
due. Chief rents were received as follows:
The heirs of Adam Bradshaw, 8d.; of
Robert Birkenhead, 2d.; of William Rivington, a barbed arrow; of Roger Broadhurst, 3d.; of Robert Shaw, 1d.; of
Richard Knoll, 3d.; and of Roger Rivington, nil. The extent of the demesne
was 80½ acres, to which 10 acres inclosed
from the common had been added; the
other tenements comprised 155 acres.
A survey made in 1627 is printed
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 255–6. His will is printed
in Irvine, Rivington, 161–3; he bequeathed 40s. a year to 'the wages of a
preacher to be hired at Rivington.'
To the subsidy of 1622 there contributed 'for lands' Robert Lever and
Ellen Breres; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 152.
||Robert Lever's will is printed ibid.
166–8; it does not provide for the descent
of Rivington. For the Lever pedigree see
Dugdale's Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 186.
||Irvine, Rivington, 39–41, 177, where
an abstract of his will is given; also of
that of his wife Frances, dated 1694. John
Andrews was a captain in the Parliament's
army during the Civil War, and one of
the elders of the Bury Presbyterian
Classis; ibid. 50, and Shaw, Bury Classis
||Irvine, Rivington, 50, 51.
||Ibid. 41. An abstract of his will is
given; he also left 40s. a year towards a
preacher for the church of Rivington.
||For the will of John Breres see ibid.
||Ibid. 41–3, 48–50.
In 1657 a fine was made between John
Breres, clerk, and Thomas Breres touching a moiety of the manor of Rivington;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 160, m. 20.
From the will of John Breres, clerk, the
younger, made and proved in 1667, it
appears that he was the purchaser, and
had demised it for fifty years after the
death of his uncle Thomas, subject to
provisions for redeeming it; Irvine, op.
cit. 173. In 1657 a John Breres was
appointed to be minister of the chapel of
Heapey; Plund. Mins. Accts. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 201. The younger
John was son of the elder, and was admitted to St. John's College, Cambridge,
as a sizar in 1655, being then over eighteen years of age; he had been at school
at Burnley; Admissions St. John's Coll. i,
121. In the hearth tax of 1663 he paid
for three hearths while Thomas paid for
one only; Irvine, op. cit. 47.
Thomas Breres' will is printed, ibid.
174; he left the hall of Rivington, &c.,
to trustees, and mentions his brother John
Breres. An abstract of John's will is
given ibid. 48.
For the Andrews and Crompton tenure
see Irvine, op. cit. 51, 52, and the pedigree
in Baines, Lancs. (ed. Croston), iii, 230;
also Local Cleanings Lancs. and Ches. ii,
||His will is given by Mr. Irvine, op.
||Introduction to 'Statutes of Rivington School,' by Rev. Joseph Whitaker,
1837, quoted by Irvine, Rivington, 124.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc), ii, 105;
held by Ralph Pilkington in 1476. Catholes, part of the land, lies to the north
of the church, between Dean Brook and
the reservoir. Richard Pilkington held
it by the same rent of 12d. in 1540;
Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 84.
The expression 'church land' in a
charter of Cecily de Worsley (Towneley
MS. GG, no. 1673) may refer to the
||Some deeds of this family have been
quoted in previous notes. From the
survey of 1610 it appears that William
Rivington held by the rent of a barbed
arrow. His estate is thus identified with
part of that called the Street in Charnock, held by Alexander Waddington at
his death in 1622; Lancs. Inq. p.m.
(Rec. Soc. Lanes, and Ches.), iii, 339–341.
The place gave a name to the Street
family about whose possessions there were
some violent proceedings in 1533; Ducby
Plead. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii,
One of the earliest Rivington charters
is a grant by Simon, de Rivington to
William de Burnhill of a part of Winterhold (Winter Hill), in the northern part
of the township; the bounds mention
Tunstead End, the Hoarstones, Winterhold Pike, Armshead, and the Deane;
Towneley MS. GG, no. 1818. Again, a
Roger de Rivington gave to Hugh son of
William de Worthington all his part of
Winterhold, the bounds again naming
Winterhold Pike; ibid. no. 1974.
Nel son of Geoffrey de Brun and Isabel
his wife released to Cecily widow of Roger
de Worsley land in Rivington called
Winterhold; ibid. no. 1659; Irvine,
op. cit. 155. Cecily was the daughter of
William de Rivington, and she granted a
fourth part of Knolleshalgh (Knowlshaw)
to Adam son of Robert son of Dorant;
the bounds mention Caldwell by William's house, Whernstonescliff, Frith
Brook, Rivington Pike, Standing Stone,
Cringlebrook, and the foot of the cliff;
Towneley MS. GG, no. 1673; Irvine,
op. cit. 156. She was probably the
mother of the Alexander son of Cecily
already mentioned, living in 1327 and
||The Broadhurst estate is probably
the eighth part of the manor subsequently held by the Shaw family; Irvine,
Rivington, 5, 22. Robert de Broadhurst
in 1277 claimed common of pasture in
Rivington against Robert del Knoll; Assize R. 1238, m. 34d. Roger de Broadhurst in 1279 complained that Richard
de Heywood and others had broken into
his house at Rivington; De Banco R. 30,
m. 84 d. Roger son of Roger de Broadhurst took action in 1301 against Roger
de Broadhurst and others, concerning
messuages, &c, in Rivington; but the
case was deferred through an error in the
writ due to a blunder by the scribe;
Assize R. 419, m. 9. In the following
year Roger de Broadhurst unsuccessfully
claimed 80 acres of moor and pasture in
Rivington and 13s. 4d. rent against
Richard de Pilkington, Adam de Heywood, and others; Assize R. 418, m. 2.
Roger was again a plaintiff in 1313, respecting land he had demised to Richard
de Hulton for a term; De Banco R.
201, m. 64 d.
William de Broadhurst contributed to
the subsidy in 1332; Excb. Lay Subs.
(Rec. Soc. Lanes, and Ches.), 31; he
was a defendant in 1347; Assize R.
1435, m. 18. It appears that William
was a son of Roger de Broadhurst; in
1327 a settlement of his estates was
made on William and his wife Ellen,
with remainder to Richard de Hulton;
Towneley MS. GG, no. 1663. From a
document cited in the text it appears
that Richard de Hulton was already in
possession of an eighth part of the manor.
This deed may therefore refer to a part of
his estate lying in the Hulton lordship.
The surrender of lands to Alexander de
Pilkington, already quoted (GG, no.
1704), may have preceded the grant by
Pilkington to Hulton. The heir of
Roger Broadhurst, however, paid a chief
rent of 3d. to the Pilkingtons in 1610.
From a suit in 1506 it appears that a
William Broadhurst in 1390 settled his
lands on his daughter Ellen and her issue
by Robert son of Thomas Bradshaw,
their descendants being the plaintiffs
Robert Banastre and Hugh Eccleston.
Ellen, however, had another husband,
Richard Bulhagh, and another settlement
was made by her father, in virtue of which
John Shaw held the estate in 1506. There
had been an arbitration about the succession in 1440; Duchy Plead. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs, and Ches.), i, 33–6.
||Simon, son of Henry de Knoll, married a Godith, and they had a son Roger;
thus Thomas de Coppull granted the
Hanging Load in Rivington to Simon
son of Henry de Knoll and his wife
Godith; the bounds began at Tunstead
Brook, and passed the land of Roger son
of John de Broadhurst; Towneley MS.
GG, no. 1933; Simon de Knoll and
Godith his wife made a grant to Roger
their son; no. 1799; and Roger son of
Simon de Knoll granted to his mother,
Godith de Broadhurst, a fourth part of'
his land of Anderton Carr between Tunstead Brook and Baxstondene water;
no. 1910. Roger and Godith appear to
have surrendered their lands to Richard
de Pilkington (no. 1662, 2052), who
granted Broadhurst to Godith again; no.
1918. Alice the widow of Roger claimed
dower in 1324 (De Banco R. 257, m.
136 d.), and held it in 1341; Towneley
MS. GG, no. 1896. Other members of
the family are mentioned in the deeds:
Robert son of Hugh, Towneley MS. GG,
no. 1817; Richard son of John (1316), no.
1914,&c. Adam de Knoll in 1347 held half
a messuage by charter of his father Roger,
on Adam's marriage with Alice daughter
of Roger de Tonge; Assize R. 1435, m.
18. Thomas Knoll and Robert his son
and heir in 1564 surrendered a rent of 6s.
in Rivington to James son and heir of
Christopher Anderton; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 26, m. 36. Christopher
Anderton of Lostock died in 1592 holding lands in Rivington of George Pilkington; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi,
no. 41. The heirs of Richard Knoll in
1610 paid 3d. chief rent to the Pilkingtons' successors.
||Gamelsley appears to have been in
the south-western corner of the township, and is now covered by the reservoir
and filter beds. Richard son of Richard
de Gamelsley has been mentioned above.
Roger de Gamelsley granted to William
his eldest son, on his marriage with Mabel
daughter of Thomas de Ridleys, all his
lands in Rivington; Towneley MS. GG,
no. 1740. Two persons named William
de Gamelsley contributed to the subsidy
in 1332; Exch. Lay Subs. 32. Thomas
de Gamelsley of Rivington in 1367 made
a feoffment of his lands; Towneley MS.
GG, no. 1870. By 1442 the lands of the
above-named William de Gamelsley had
descended to Robert Unton; they included a messuage called the Knoll and
other lands; no. 1739, 1740.
||Alice widow of John Unton of
Adlington made a settlement of her
lands in Rivington in 1405; no. 1782.
She was probably the heir of the Thomas
de Gamelsley of 1367. A Robert Unton,
who was the son of John and Alice,
made a grant of his hereditary lands to
Thomas and Hugh his sons in 1455; no.
1889. In 1458 Thomas son of Robert
Honkinson de Unton released to Robert
Unton all right to lands which the latter
had had from his father; no. 1947;
while ten years later Isabel widow of
Robert Honkinson made a similar release
to the same Robert Unton; no. 1959.
The custody of two messuages in
Rivington was granted to John de Unton
of Adlington in 1400, they being in the
king's hands by the outlawry of Anio ap
Ithel Moil; a year later Robert the son
of John had them ; Dep. Keeper's Rep.
xl, App. 527, 529.
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lanes, and Ches.),
||Leonard Asshaw of Shaw in Flixton,
who died in 1594, had land in Rivington;
the tenure is not stated; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. xvi, no. 11.
Between 1544 and 1549 Peter Anderton claimed the Knoll in Rivington against
Thomas Asshaw; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec.
Com.), i, 168, 232; ii, 95. Leonard
Asshaw was plaintiff concerning Moldesfield in 1579; ibid, iii, 73. The estate
was sold to Robert Lever and Thomas
Breres in 1612; Rivington D.
The Bradshaws of Bradshaw held four
messuages and lands of the Pilkingtons
by a rent of 3d. yearly; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. vii, no. 33; ix, no. 31; xiii,
no. 39; also in a fine of 1578 (Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 40, m. 206), and
Survey of 1610 quoted above.
John Ruttor in 1540 made a settlement of lands in Standish, Rivington, and
Heath Charnock; they were purchased
by Geoffrey Walkden in 1562; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 12, m. 34; 24,
m. 132; 38, m. 122.
Ralph de Pilkington granted land in
Rivington to Edmund Crosse in 1468;
Rivington D. In 1580 John Crosse
and Alice his wife sold to Geoffrey Yate;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 42, m. 160.
||The list is printed in full in Irvine's
||Ibid. 47. The same work contains
accounts of the following houses in the
township; The Old Hall, which has a
water-mill formerly used for churning,
123; New Hall, 128; Great House,
formerly owned by the Bulloughs, then
by the Shaws, who sold it in 1699 to
Thomas Anderton of Rivington, and now
the property of Mr. W. H. Lever, 126;
Brown Hill, 130; School Brow, formerly
the Andertons', 130; Moses Cocker's,
132; Ainsworth's Farm, 134; Ward's
Farm, 135; Higher and Lower Knolls,
136; and Higher, Middle, and Lower
||Land tax returns at Preston.
||Irvine, Rivington, 127.
||Croston, Historic Sites of Lancs. and
Ches. (1883), 146.
||The original picture, which measures
53 in. by 35 in., was considerably damaged
by fire in 1834. A careful copy had been
made, however, in 1821, and from it the
copy now in Rivington Church was made
in 1835. The remains of the original
painting are now in the possession of Col.
John Pilkington of Wavertree. See Appendix to Fergusson Irvine's Rivington
where a full account of the picture, supplied by Col. Pilkington, is given. It
was originally placed in the Grammar
School, but subsequently removed to the
||Irvine, op. cit. 64. Mention is made
of the building in the Inq. p.m. of Robert
Lever, 1621, where it is called 'domus
||The 'chapel croft' is named in a
deed by Margaret Pilkington and her son
Robert in 1476; Towneley MS. GG, no.
1726. This croft is also named in 1478,
and was apparently part of the Hospitallers' land ; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc),
ii, 105. In a petition of 1628 it was
asserted that the people of Rivington,
Anglezarke, Hempshaw, and Folds built
a chapel 'upon a little toft and quillet of
land' where divine service was celebrated
'for many years of antiquity;' Raines,
Chant. (Chet. Soc), ii, 261. On the
division of the waste in 1536 an allotment was made to 'the use of a priest
at Rivington chapel for evermore;'
Towneley MS. GG, no. 1993.
||His building of it is asserted on the
family picture. In the petition referred
to in the last note it is stated that Richard
Pilkington induced Bishop Bird to consecrate the chapel on 11 Oct. 1541, the
fee being £5. Queen Elizabeth, in sanctioning the foundation of the grammar
school, also ordained that the chapel
should continue in use, and that baptisms,
marriages, and burials should be performed there, the election of a 'discreet,
learned and fit chaplain or minister'
being left to the inhabitants.
The priest in charge in 1541–2 was
William Bradley ; Clergy List (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), 13.
The chapel seems to have been well
provided with 'ornaments,' judging from
the list of those remaining in 1552; the
books were 'a mass book, an English
Bible, and a manual.' It seems to
have been considered parochial, and is
called a church; Ch. Gds. (Chet. Soc),
For a description of the church in
1869 see Glynne, Lancs. Churches (Chet.
||See his inquisition cited above.
||See a preceding note.
||Henry Croston's name as curate
appears in the Visitation List of 1563,
but it is crossed through, so that he left
about that time. There is no name
entered in the list of 1565. The unnamed curate in 1590 was 'no preacher'
(S.P. Dom. Eliz. xxxi, 47), but about
1610 Rivington was reported to be 'well
supplied with ministry' ; Hist. MSS.
Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, 11.
||Robert Lever and Thomas Breres
had each endowed it with £2 a year, and
'several well-disposed persons' subscribed
£36 towards the endowment; Commonwealth Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and
||Gastrell, Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc),
ii, 19; at that time the chapelry comprised Rivington and Anglezarke.
||Tebay, Stat. of Rivington School,
77; quoted in Irvine, Rivington, 65.
In the latter work there is a full account of the church and curates, &c.,
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lanes, and Ches.),
||Irvine, Rivington, 46.
Bury Classis (Chet. Soc.), i, 8–10,
&c; ii, 213; there were various charges
against him of want of ordination, neglect of his charge, kneeling down on
coming into the desk and pulpit, keeping
'profane company,' &c.
||Ibid, i, 42, &c; ii, 265; afterwards
of Newton Heath.
||Ibid, i, 99, &c.: 'a godly, orthodox,
and painful minister,' according to the
Commonwealth Cb. Surv. of 1650 (p. 35).
He removed to Stretford.
Bury Classis, ii, 148, 149, 205.
||Irvine, Rivington, 73. He was
ejected in 1662.
Bury Classis, ii, 214.
||It is possible that he continued to
minister as a Nonconformist, with the
connivance of the bishop and others in
authority; see Irvine, op. cit. 74. For
his will, ibid. 175.
||Newton died in 1682, and his successor, according to Calamy, was the
foregoing John Walker, a Presbyterian,
ejected from Newton Heath in 1662;
ibid. 76. He is said to have died in 1684,
and to have had a son John, also a minister
in Rivington; see his will, ibid. 181.
||Ibid. 77; he does not occur in the
visitation lists of 1691 and 1696, so that
his stay was very brief.
||Ibid. 77; he had been curate of
||Ibid. 78; previously vicar of Mottram, Cheshire.
||Ibid. The Church P. at Chester
begin with him.
||Ibid. In 1778 he reported that
there were in his parish, out of sixty-eight
families in all, twenty-seven families of
Presbyterians (one a gentleman, viz.
Andrews), one Quaker, four families of
Methodists, and none of other denominations. There was an unlicensed meetinghouse.
||Irvine, Rivington, 81.
||Ibid. 82; there was a contested
election, accompanied by much unseemly
conduct, and it was thought better to ask
the bishop's nomination at the next
||A full account, with a view and a
list of the ministers and description of
the monuments, is given in Mr. Irvine's
work, 90–111; see also Nightingale,
Lancs. Nonconf. iii, 81–98. There is a
library, begun in 1821. Some efforts
of the Methodists are narrated in the
latter work, 97.
End. Char. Rep. for Bolton, 1904,
ii, 31; a summary of the statutes made
by Bishop Pilkington, the founder, is
given. These statutes were also printed
by Mr. Septimus Tebay, then head
master, in 1864. Since 1875 the school
has been the Rivington and Blackrod
Grammar School. See also Irvine,
Rivington, 112–22. A list of the first
scholars is printed in Tebay's Statutes, and
in Col. Pilkington's Pilkington Family;
see also Local Glean. Lancs, and Ches.
ii, 107. The school library is described
in Old Lancs. Libraries (Chet. Soc.), 189,